Ariela Lopez, Contributing Photographer

More than 250 pro-Palestine protesters who are calling on Yale to disclose and divest their investments in weapons manufacturers have settled into the third night of their encampment on Beinecke Plaza. There are currently approximately 40 tents on the plaza.

Throughout the night, the News covered negotiations between organizers and Yale administrators, which focused on both the organizers’ central demands and the University’s desire to move protesters, whom they have threatened with disciplinary action, off the plaza. During the negotiations, Yale offered organizers a meeting with two trustees, including one who sits on the  Corporation Committee on Investor Responsibility, which recommends investment policy to the full Corporation.

An organizer told the News that the group organizing the encampment declined Yale’s offer because the University did not commit to disclosing information about its investments that was not already publicly available.

“We have negotiated in good faith with administrators throughout the day,” the organizer said. “We offered to maintain a peaceful encampment until they could provide clarity on what, if any, disclosure was possible. This was not granted [to us].”

Earlier in the night, a group of Jewish students came to the plaza and sang  Jewish prayers and songs while waving American and Israeli flags. The group, approximately 30 strong at its peak, left at 11 p.m. without incident, with organizer Kira Berman ’25 telling the News that they were leaving because heads of college present at the plaza instructed them to do so.

The protests remained peaceful throughout the day and night. On Sunday afternoon, the 14 Yale students in Hunger Strikers For Palestine announced that they were ending their action after eight days. At around 4:30 p.m., University President Peter Salovey broke his silence on the protests in an email to the Yale community, writing that the university would pursue disciplinary action “according to its policies.”

For now, all is calm on the plaza, but organizers have posted on their Instagram, Occupy Beinecke, asking supporters to show up to the plaza early in the morning because they expect arrests.

Nathaniel Rosenberg, City Editor

__________________________________________________

12:44 a.m.:

There are currently still three Yale police officers and two police cars on Alexander Walk. This number has not changed significantly throughout the night.

Nathaniel Rosenberg, City Editor

12:41 a.m.:

Protesters have sat down on the plaza, surrounding the encampment. They continue to sing, “We shall not be moved.”

— Yolanda Wang and Karla Cortes, Staff Reporters

12:39 a.m.:

“You can’t go to sleep now. We are still under threat of arrest tonight,” an organizer announced to the crowd. 

The organizer then asked the crowd, “Who keeps us safe?” The crowd responded, “We keep us safe.”

Organizers continue to encourage protestors to invite their friends to join them on Beinecke Plaza, despite the threat of disciplinary action for occupying the plaza at this time. 

— Lily Belle Poling and Yolanda Wang, Staff Reporters

12:23 a.m.:

An organizer of the encampment, who asked to remain anonymous due to safety concerns, told the News, “We were offered a meeting with one member of the CCIR and one other trustee. We said that we could not agree to a meeting without disclosure of investments. They offered to release asset allocation reports that are already publicly available.”

Lewis wrote to the News that he was told that “Most students wanted to accept the trustees’ offer, but some of the leaders felt it was better to have people arrested.” The organizer said that Lewis’ claim was false. 

Lewis added that, as he wrote to parents in his email sent at around 5:30 p.m., students may be subject to reprimand, probation or suspension, in addition to arrest. 

“Students on the plaza are informed of the risks. We keep us safe,” the organizer told the News when informed of Lewis’s email.

– Nathaniel Rosenberg, City Editor, Sarah Cook, University Editor and Yolanda Wang, Staff Reporter

12:06 a.m.:

At 5:36 p.m. today, Yale College Dean Pericles Lewis wrote to parents and guardians of undergraduate students in an email that protesters who break University guidelines “on the time, place, and manner of their protests … may be subject to discipline, including reprimand, probation and suspension.”

— Yolanda Wang, Staff Reporter

12:05 a.m.:

An organizer announced to the crowd that Lewis had made the protesters an offer. 

“If we clear out tonight and promise not to return tomorrow, we will be promised a meeting with two of Yale’s trustees,” the organizer said. 

The organizers announced that they rejected the offer. 

Protesters in the crowd then chanted, “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free,” as other protesters played along on drums. Organizers told the News that they did not sanction the chant. 

— Jane Park, Yolanda Wang and Yurii Stasiuk, Staff Reporters

12:00 a.m.:

As of midnight, there is minimal police presence on the scene. No arrests have been made. The two YPD officers told the News that they are not aware of any dispersion plans. There are a total of two police cars and four police officers on Alexander Walk. 

—  Jane Park and Emily Khym, Staff Reporters. Khuan-Yu Hall, City Editor 

11:56 p.m.:

At 11:55 p.m., Lewis wrote to the News that students should disperse immediately. 

“Non Yale affiliates are trespassing if they remain on campus,” Lewis wrote. 

He wrote that he offered for students to meet with the chair of the Corporation Committee on Investor Responsibility and wrote that he “indicated to students” that those who left tonight would not be subject to penalty for nonviolent actions of the past week. 

An organizer of the encampment wrote to the News, “They gave us a 10 minute deadline to decide on their final offer tonight.” 

“We hope students will still peacefully disperse,” Lewis wrote. 

He added that the heads of colleges encouraged the students leading the protest to accept the proposed meetings. 

– Sarah Cook, University Editor and Nathaniel Rosenberg, City Editor

11:46 p.m.:

Yale College Dean Pericles Lewis wrote to the News with an update on the negotiations with organizers. 

“Trustees including the chair of the corporation committee on investor responsibility offered to meet with students if they agreed to end the occupation of Beinecke Plaza,” Lewis wrote. “Unfortunately, Occupy Beinecke has rejected that offer.”

In response, an organizer wrote to the News that “Peter Salovey asked for openness and civility. We asked for open disclosure of investments so that we could have a civil, informed discussion. The trustees refused — so we will stay.”

– Sarah Cook, University Editor, and Nathaniel Rosenberg, City Editor 

11:45 p.m.:

About 40 protesters have formed a smaller ring in the center of the crowd, circling the flagpole on Beinecke Plaza. Protesters have started to dance and stomp while they continue to chant and sing.

— Yolanda Wang, Staff Reporter

11:40 p.m.:

The heads of Jonathan Edwards, Timothy Dwight, Trumbull and Ezra Stiles colleges are all standing near the protest by Woodbridge Hall. 

“We’re here for our students,” Paul North, the head of Jonathan Edwards College, told the News. 

North added that he does not know if there will be arrests tonight. 

— Sarah Cook, University Editor

11:38 p.m.:

As of 11:38 p.m., another YPD car has arrived on Alexander Walk, and the previous YPD car has departed. There are currently a total of three police officers stationed at Alexander Walk. 

Jane Park and Emily Khym, Staff Reporters

11:27 p.m.:

A second police car has arrived on Alexander Walk. The News overheard a conversation between YPD officers, who remarked that “it might be a long night.”

Jane Park and Emily Khym, Staff Reporters, and Khuan-Yu Hall, City Editor

11:27 p.m.: 

A group of eight individuals, identifying themselves as Yale faculty members affiliated with Yale’s chapter of Faculty for Justice in Palestine, took turns reading a statement expressing their support for student protesters.

“It is imperative that the administration listens to the voices of the community to address concerns about the University’s investments in violence, war and genocide. We encourage administration to engage in constructive, transparent dialogue with these brave students,” one faculty member said.

– Giri Viswanathan, Sci-Tech Editor

11:25 p.m.:

Despite the presence of both a massive crowd of pro-Palestine protesters calling for divestment and a smaller pro-Israel group until 11 p.m., the plaza has remained peaceful. The protests have been largely peaceful all three nights since the start of the encampment. 

Nathaniel Rosenberg, City Editor

11:17 p.m.:

The one police car stationed on Rose Walk has left. The police car on Alexander Walk remains with two police officers patrolling the area. 

– Emily Khym and Jane Park, Staff Reporters

11:08 p.m.:

The News counted at least 600 pro-Palestine protesters surrounding the perimeter of the tents on the plaza. People continue to arrive and are being asked by organizers to push toward the front near the Schwarzman Center.

Mia Cortés Castro and Natasha Khazzam, Staff Reporters

11:04 p.m.: 

The pro-Israel group has left. Berman told the News that the group is “abiding by the rules” as heads of colleges told them to leave at 11 p.m. Israel added that “because we follow all the rules, we don’t get as much coverage.”

“A lot of these members in Yale Friends of Israel, and just the Jewish and pro-Israel community don’t think that this war has been handled perfectly. We’re against the current government. We think that there are some problems,” Israel said. “And yet we believe that Israel needs the right to exist. We believe that Jews need to be able to be safe.”

Israel himself expressed hope that the state of Israel will help Gaza rebuild after the war and that “there can be a Palestinian authority who is able to be a government that Israel can have peace with.” According to him, the Israeli government “has a lot of work to do.”

– Hudson Warm and Asuka Koda, Staff Reporters

11:01 p.m.:

A pro-Israel protester approached the News to inquire about the time students are supposed to leave Beinecke Plaza. Jonathan Edwards Head of College Paul North, who stood nearby, confirmed that all students need to leave by 11 p.m. “That is the rule,” North said. 

Yurii Stasiuk, Staff Reporter

11:01 p.m.:

The police car returned to Alexander Walk. A total of two police officers are standing on Alexander Walk. 

10:54 p.m.: 

As of right now, there are no police cars on Alexander Walk. There is one Yale Police Department officer stationed at Alexander Walk, who declined to comment when asked about YPD’s plans for the night. There is one police car on Rose Walk, with its siren lights turned off.

10:55 p.m.: 

An organizer who identified himself as a Palestinian-American continues to lead protestors circled around the flagpole on Beinecke Plaza in chants, including “We’re not asking you to choose between Israel or Palestine. We’re asking you to choose humanity.”

– Giri Viswanathan, Sci-Tech Editor

10:47 p.m.:

About a dozen people are entering Beinecke Plaza to join the pro-Palestine protest every five minutes. There are now over 500 people in the plaza. Marshals are directing them to join the circle that protesters have formed around the encampment on the steps of Schwarzman Center.

“We are fully cooperating with Yale University, and we’re really grateful for Yale University’s support of Jewish people on campus and for its support of Jewish people also out of campus,” Boris Lavronenko ’ 26 told the News. “We are not planning to cause any disturbance, and we are not related to the protests which are going on there.” Lavronenko gestured to the pro-Palestine demonstration happening closer to Schwarzman Center.

— Yolanda Wang and Yurii Stasiuk, Staff Reporters

10:46 p.m.:

Eytan Israel ’26 told the News that they were singing the Vehi Sheamda.

Israel told the News that the group of Jewish students are not counter-protesting. “We’re making sure we’re abiding by all the rules,” he said. “And when these rules aren’t being enforced, chaos can ensue, and there could be real violence.”

The News estimates that close to a dozen more students have joined the pro-Israel group, bringing their total over 30.

— Hudson Warm and Asuka Koda, Staff Reporters

10:30 p.m.:

There are over 450 protesters on the plaza right now, the vast majority of them for the pro-divestment encampment. Organizers of the encampment posted two hours ago on their Instagram account, Occupy Beinecke, to “Come to the Plaza” at 10:30 p.m. instead of 9 p.m., adding that police and administrators have “shifted their timeline.” 

10:27 p.m.:

An organizer is reading their demands to the growing crowd of pro-divestment protestors,   announcing, “Our demands are loud and clear. And they’ve been loud and clear throughout the occupation.” She demanded that Yale disclose its investments in weapons manufacturers and divest tonight, accusing the University of complicity in genocide, referring to Israel’s military campaign in Gaza. The crowd welcomed the announcement with loud cheers.  

The crowd then began chants, including “The people, united, we’ll never be defeated” and “if we don’t get it, shut it down.”  

— Yurii Stasiuk, Staff Reporter

10:23 p.m.: 

As the pro-divestment protesters increase the volume, the group of 20 Jewish community members who were previously singing Jewish prayers and songs sitting down have since stood up and are currently singing “The Star Spangled Banner”. 

The Jewish group started moving towards the protesters, waving an American flag and wearing Israeli flags draped on their shoulders. The group of students that are still in front of Woodbridge are increasing their volume and jumping.

10:15 p.m.

Hundreds of people gathered in a circle around the flagpole in Beinecke Plaza. Organizers are leading the crowd in chants of “If we don’t get it, shut it down”  using a megaphone and drums. 

Organizers announced to protestors that they would be led by trained marshals in anticipation of confrontations with “counter-protestors”. 

– Giri Viswanathan, Sci-Tech Editor

10:09 p.m.: 

While pro-Palestine protesters streamed onto Beinecke Plaza, a group of 20 Jewish community members circled on the other side of the plaza in front of Woodbridge Hall, waving three American flags and draping smaller Israeli flags. 

They are singing  Jewish prayers and songs, including the “Vehi Sheamda,” accompanied by guitar. The lyrics, Samuel Rosenberg ’26 told the News, translate to “For not only one enemy has risen up against us to destroy us, but in every generation they rise up to destroy us. But the Holy One, Blessed be He, delivers us from their hands.”

Kira Berman ’25, president of Yale Friends of Israel, said that she was there as “part of the Jewish community.” She told the News that pro-divestment protesters have “crossed the line from anti-Zionist to antisemitic. For them, this is about ‘Israel should not exist.’ ‘From the river to the sea’ means that our entire people should be wiped out. For us, this is just us showing up. It’s just to show that we’re not afraid. We are proud to be Jewish and we’re proud of who we are.”

– Hudson Warm  and Asuka Koda, Staff Reporters

10:00 p.m.:

Hundreds of protesters are gathered on Beinecke Plaza chanting in support of Palestine and demanding that Yale disclose and divest from its holdings in military weapons manufacturers. The protest is part of a week-long series of demonstrations from various students and organizations for the same set of demands. This is the third night that protesters have maintained an encampment on the Plaza, which was set up on Friday night as Yale trustees and administrators attended a send-off party in Schwarzman Center for University President Peter Salovey, who intends to step down on June 30.

At the same time, a group of about 20 Jewish and pro-Israel students have started to gather on the Plaza in front of Woodbridge Hall. They are holding multiple American and Israeli flags while singing.

Earlier in the day, Hunger Strikers for Palestine announced that they had ended their eight-day hunger strike, which started on April 13. In a statement on their Instagram page, the hunger strikers expressed their continued dissent against the University’s investments in military weapons manufacturers and Yale’s “complicity in the genocide of Palestinian people.” At this time, the News has not been able to determine the immediate reason for the end of the hunger strike.

At 3:45 p.m., in his first statement on the week of protests, Salovey wrote in an email to the Yale community that the University “will pursue disciplinary actions according to its policies,” in reference to the ongoing encampment on Beinecke Plaza. Salovey also wrote that Yale Police officers are investigating reports of “intimidation and harassment” amid growing tension on the plaza.  

During yesterday’s protest, University administrators Hannah Peck and Andrew Forsyth announced at 10:43 p.m. that if students did not clear their belongings on the plaza by 11:30 p.m., they might face disciplinary action for occupying the space on Friday and Saturday nights. 

Early Sunday morning, at 12:18 a.m., organizers announced to the crowd that no arrests would be made that night. Close to 100 people stayed in over 40 tents on the plaza overnight on Saturday. 

Around 7 p.m. Sunday, Dean of Yale College Pericles Lewis wrote to the News that he thinks it is important for students to understand that they were given a chance to leave the plaza without discipline last night. 

“Unfortunately they did not take that opportunity and now we have received complaints of more serious infractions, which we are investigating,” Lewis wrote to the News. 

THE YALE DAILY NEWS