Alex Zhang

With the multicolored messages from last Thursday’s chalking event still visible on the pavement, students and supporters gathered once again on Cross Campus yesterday to stand in solidarity after a week of impassioned discussions about race at Yale.

But student organizers and participants said Monday’s March of Resilience — in which hundreds marched from the Afro-American Cultural Center to Cross Campus — had a markedly different tone from the tense confrontation with Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway that took place at the same location last week. Student leaders at the event, which eventually attracted over 1,000 students, faculty and administrators, gave speeches about student power, solidarity and unity. The event also featured musical and cultural performances. Ultimately, the gathering transformed into an impromptu dance party on Cross Campus, which students said allowed them to join together as a community to turn the tide of campus conversation.

The march began at 2 p.m., with participants parading past the Native American Cultural Center, the Asian American Cultural Center and La Casa Cultural, as well as Sigma Alpha Epsilon — the site of an Oct. 30 party where a brother allegedly told a female student of color that entrance was for “white girls only.” More and more people joined the march as it progressed, with students linking hands at the intersection of High and Chapel Streets to stop traffic and make way for the procession. “We out here, we’ve been here, we ain’t leaving, we are loved,” they chanted as they walked.  The march culminated on Cross Campus, where a sea of supporters assembled to listen, cheer, sing and dance.

“The point of this march was to shift the tone in the dialogue. Last week there was a lot of pain, and it was emotionally draining and traumatic for many people of color on campus, even though it was a necessary move,” said Alejandra Padin-Dujon ’18, a member of La Casa and the Af-Am House. “Right now, moving forward, we are looking to heal ourselves so that we can strengthen ourselves, regroup and push for specific demands and positive change for the future.”

Members of the Yale community found out about the March of Resilience — a joint effort among the four cultural centers — the day before through individual cultural centers, extracurricular panlists and word of mouth. Students were asked not to promote the event through social media until the day of the protest, in order to avoid the possibility of a counterprotest.

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 3.59.22 AM

On Cross Campus, Lex Barlowe ’17, standing with a group of other student leaders above the crowd, led attendees in a song from an ethnic studies protest at the University of California, Berkeley that took place in 1999. Afterwards, the audience cheered and clapped as the Blue Feather Drum Group, Yale’s first American Indian performance group, began to drum and sing. Unity, a Korean percussion and dance troupe, as well as Shades, an a cappella group founded to sing music of the African Diaspora and the African-American tradition, also performed. Shades sang a medley of “Amen” and “We Shall Overcome,” the latter of which served as the anthem for the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Individual student leaders also spoke through megaphones, reflecting on the past week’s developments and calling on the crowd to take action.

“You are powerful. Look around you — we are powerful,” Ivetty Estepan ’18, one of the event organizers and a student coordinator for La Casa, told the crowd. “We are not victims; today, we are on our way to being victors.”

Estepan noted the news that University of Missouri’s president had stepped down yesterday amid student protests that he did not take seriously incidents of racism at the university. She said minority students have fought at Yale to create the cultural centers and to make changes in them.

Also present on Cross Campus during part of the rally was University President Peter Salovey, who engaged in discussions with students and interviews with media outlets.

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 4.01.34 AM

“Last week was a reminder that we need to work harder, and this [march] is reinforcement that if we work harder, I think we can create an educational environment where everyone is respected, everyone is heard,” Salovey told the News. “I’m inspired to create that kind of Yale.”

Organizers said the march was a way to gather the diverse members on campus in a public demonstration of solidarity.

“The march was organized to emphasize our empowerment and show support and unity among different groups and cultural centers,” La Casa member Cathleen Calderon ’17 said. “Everyone is healing at different stages, so this is really about coming together and empowering each other. People really needed a dance party.”

The demonstration attracted a wide range of attendees, from members of the cultural centers and undergraduates to graduate students, professors and administrators, including the masters and deans of several residential colleges.

Gabby Cudjoe Wilkes DIV ’18 said that although she is not an undergraduate, she felt an emotional connection to the march because she is a woman of color. Cudjoe Wilkes took part in the march from its beginning at the Af-Am House, and she praised the students for their organization, which included teaching participants the chants ahead of time. Furthermore, she said, the tone of the rally was different from other events she has been involved with, since it focused more on improving the culture at Yale rather than saying that the students wanted to leave.

Njoya Tikum, a 2015 Yale World Fellow from Cameroon, said the demonstration showed that the current generation of students will be the ones to push society towards racial equality. He also commented on the diversity of the students participating in the march. Cudjoe Wilkes said the organizers made an effort to be inclusive of all cultural centers.

“What’s important is not their backgrounds, but that they share a common humanity,” Tikum said. He added that it was encouraging that so many Yale administrators were in attendance on Cross Campus.

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 4.03.20 AM

Mary Lui, master of Timothy Dwight College and Yale’s first tenured Asian American studies professor, was also in attendance Monday.

“My job as an educator is to be here for the students,” she said. Trumbull College Master Margaret Clark also said it was critical for her to support students.

For many students, the march took priority over other obligations. A number of attendees interviewed said they had skipped class to attend the demonstration, citing a sense of responsibility that compelled them to be there in support of their peers.

Josh Tranen ’18 said he skipped his “Bible as Literature” course to attend the march, adding that he saw several other students in the class who were also there.

“I’m not going to go to Bible class and learn about the good things I should do for other people when I have this opportunity right here,” Tranen said. “I needed to be there to support my friends and students of color on this campus, and as a person who doesn’t have to undergo some of these experiences on a daily basis, it’s my job to show support to people who do.”

Hannah Schmitt ’18 also attended the demonstration, missing her “Introduction to Biological Anthropology” course to do so.

“This is an incredible space for students of color to express joy in the face of suffering, and I am amazed by their strength and honored that they are willing to share their voices so that all of us can learn,” Schmitt said.

Darwin Edwards ’19 also skipped class, stating that he was conflicted about the decision but eventually decided that it was more important to stand with students who are struggling.

Bailey Pickens DIV ’16, another attendee, praised the demonstration for its musical and light-hearted denouement.

“Every protest should end with a dance party,” Pickens said. “Because there’s real joy in doing what’s right.”

• theantiyale

If only we had such flexible and responsive college presidents in the 1970’s as President Salovey today.

Paul Keane

M. Div. ’80

http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/opinion/2015/11/09/guest-viewpoint-racism-ithaca-college/75458246/

• NYAttorney

Actually Ithaca College’s neighbor, Cornell, had an even more cowardly administration in the 60s and lost top faculty members (and Yale gained Donald Kagan).

• Prince Monolulu

Oh what traumatic ordeals these poor kids have endured!

Their courage should be an example to the teenaged cadets who have been holding the Kweires air base besieged by the Islamic State for 2 years.

• JTA

Please explain how attending one of the country’s premium universities constitutes suffering.

• Striking

Ahhh, the pampered and the privileged hold up traffic, worse than they normally do on any given day, to demand more inclusiveness whatever the hell that means. You students are part of an exclusive club, not inclusive. That you are here at one of the top universities in the world is a privilege and an honor. You will reap the benefits of this education the rest of your lives and fare much better in the world because of it. Your lives will be much easier from attending here, than those of your peers at other colleges and state universities, community colleges and “lesser institutions.” I don’t really care what your demands are – they are puny when compared to the cloistered community in which you reside, and that by its very nature and core, is an exclusive not inclusive club.

• yalie2

Could someone help give me a clearer picture of what students’ complaints are? In what ways do they feel they have been subjugated and made unsafe? Is it mainly from being treated disrespectfully by other students? If so, what have the other students been doing?

• jamesgd

a letter asked students to avoid wearing costumes that would cause offense, despite their right to free expression–a right the same letter explicitly noted. some complained about that letter to christakis, and so she responded with her own, which discouraged advocating for sensitivity in that regard, and instead encouraged those who would take offense to look away or confront their offenders.

the students who presumably wouldve been offended were pissed at this response, because christakis stood up for the “insensitive” over them, the sensitive. i wrap “insensitive” in quotes because evidently being asked to voluntarily not wear an offensive costume upset their sensibilities, leading them to complain to christakis.

christakis tried to characterize her letter as an invitation to have open dialogue, except she also recommended that those offended look away (i.e., ignore), which isnt conducive to any dialogue. so basically she tried to pass off a veiled anti-pc rant as a defense of free expression for the students, which was never under threat in the first place.

• river_tam

I feel like Ryan Gosling in The Notebook. WHAT DO YOU WANT?

“gathered in solidarity” Solidarity: unity or agreement of feeling or action

Solidarity with what? Everywhere Yalies have described this, they’ve described it as “solidarity” while conveniently ignoring with what they are expressing solidarity. Do these students what Christakis fired? Do they want students wearing offensive Halloween costumes expelled? Do they want Dean Holloway to give them footrubs?

Or do they just want to “start a dialog”? Because that’s all the aspiring Professional Activist wants these days.

• martin k

.”have a conversation” is SJW for “STFU”

• Jamal Tarik
  • Jamal Tarik

USING THAT

• 100wattlightbulb

I hope everyone realizes this is no coincidence that this is going on on multiple campuses. This is an orchestrated event, probably funded by George Soros, getting students absolutely nowhere except being duped by a big political left machine.

• Ralphiec88

I think you took a wrong turn looking for World Net Daily.

• HarveyCedar

No, Soros funds all sorts of odd left wing causes through his various foundations. Soros is what the left constantly claims (inaccurately) the Koch brother are.

• CoryIntheHouse

Wow what an embarrassment.

• Nancy Morris

The headline here appears to be completely inaccurate and misleading. Nothing in this article indicates that everyone (or even most) in this crowd agreed with the activists, still less that they stand in “solidarity” with them. Or is this some new kind of “solidarity” that doesn’t require “agreement?” There isn’t even a reported attempt by the YDN to determine how many of these participants were Yale students, never mind what portion of the crowd was there just to see what was going on. But why start with actual journalism in this matter now?

“A markedly different tone from the tense confrontation with Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway that took place at the same location last week?” Yes, the event was essentially a concession by the activists that they have put themselves in complete no-win positions, been out-flanked by the administration, lost the sympathy of even the general liberal media (check out the Atlantic and Daily Beast articles), embarrassed themselves with their excesses and preposterous charges and arguments (it’s always the right time for another YouTube viewing of the hideous Silliman College meltdown), increasingly crossed the line into disgusting criminal activity (Spitting? Disrupting talks? Really?), and generally lost and lost it.

Hey, the nation’s liberals are cringing! Time to declare victory, have a dance party pretending it’s a solidarity march, and announce that’s it’s time for the healing to commence! University officials were happy to attend and extend their condolences. Sure. Why not? But somehow I missed anything they might have said that actually disagreed with Erika Christakis’ email. And it isn’t going to happen. That’s because it’s not possible for any person committed to reason, individual rights, free expression or the value of a university, to disagree with Erika Christakis’ email.

But this matter should not stop now, inside or outside Yale. Not at all.

Halloween comes again next year. Something to remember. I don’t see any reference to the Yale Costume Police.

And the agrieved here demanded an investigation of the SAE charges. So far, the available evidence points towards those charges being entirely fabricated and those making the charges being deeply pernicious. It will be interesting to see what the reaction of the Cross Campus dancers will be when (and if) the results of that investigation are released.

Further, Rolling Stone Magazine is being sued for tens of millions for its defamation of the UVA fraternity. SAE should sue the apparent fabricators of the charges against that fraternity, although it seems that no media outlet was stupid enough to actually get suckered by the SAE complainers. The (liberal) Daily Beast has already reported the de facto retraction of some of the claims against SAE: “O, I was so drunk. I don’t really remember if any of that ‘racist’ stuff I reported actually happened.” Good luck with that in a defamation action. And it’s time to make the visiting freshman liar from Columbia lawyer up and pay up! Defamation damages from an intentional lie are probably not even dischargeable in bankruptcy, since “debts incurred as a result of willful and malicious injury to another” are not dischargeable if the victim objects. Yes, as the article reports one of these dancers put it, everyone is at a different point in the healing process. The healing of those savaged by the agitators would really commence when criminal charges are brought against those perpetrators and big civil damages judgments are assessed against those responsible for the many defamatory lies that have issued here.

Now if SAE would just wise up and install those security cameras and mikes for the inevitable next round of PC claptrap.

• Havid Damburger

freak show

• fruck

Great job by these students!! Speak up for yourselves or some old white guy will speak for you.

• Robert Hale

Haha!! Are you going for the “Un-Self-Aware” Award?

• breakingbad23

Yeah, like Bernie Sanders…

• Ralphiec88

In all this discussion of healing and respect, was there any apology for the verbal assaults on professors or the spitting incident? If not, the statment about “doing what’s right” rings hollow.

• http://www.artspace.com/magazine/interviews_features/lists/the-10-worst-ways-to-die-in-a-hieronymous-bosch-painting-53872 Hieronymus Machine

“An otherwise tolerant person with good intentions who endorses stereotypes for even one night is still racist and harmful.” http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/11/03/wilson-unintended-consequences/

“Good for the Gander” corollary: “An otherwise tolerant person with good intentions who perpetuates stereotypes for even one afternoon is still…”

A batterer? Oppressive? Irrational? Proto-collectivist thug? Begetter of a chilling effect? A silencer? (He,y didn’t silence used to = death or something?)

Self-absorption ≠ self-reflection.

• icetrey

The thing is there’s nothing wrong with endorsing stereotypes. It’s only when you apply stereotypes to an individual that you are wrong.

• HarveyCedar

Actually stereotypes usually apply nicely to people, that’s why they’re stereotypes. What is wrong is when one believes the stereotype rather than the individual. “White privilege” comes to mind.

• sweetpea

I find this passage highly ironic: “…with participants parading past the Native American Cultural Center, the
    Asian American Cultural Center and La Casa Cultural, as well as Sigma
    Alpha Epsilon — the site of an Oct. 30 party where a brother allegedly
    told a female student of color that entrance was for “white girls only.””

What is most disturbing to me, aside from the obvious dangerous implications for society where micro-aggressions are built into major issues, is that my federal tax dollars are going to support these elitist and privileged young people who are not self-aware. They are blind to the fact that THEY are the privileged of society and of the world. They are in total denial of their exclusive place in humanity as Yale students. A safe space? The majority of the world’s population would give their eye teeth for the safety of the world they live in. There are refugees in Europe who have marched a thousand miles for the chance to have much less safety. These students are an embarrassment because they demand much and give little to society. My tax dollars are wasted on these privileged and self-absorbed people. Yale has done a very poor job of vetting it’s students.

• mickmick100

Is there to be no discussion on the abusive behavior seen by students to the Christakis’s? Much of the student behavior has been bullying… Plain and simple. If you disagree argue your point. Yelling and cursing because you have a different view destroy’s the safe place these students seek. Is the irony lost?

• Mulberry Field

How is that not workplace harassment?

• Yirmin

The one thing I learned about while at Yale that is likely still true is that when a mass of students go out for any protest, the appropriate side to be on is the other side. The majority of students at Yale are naive at best and some simply stupid, yet overwhelmingly is gullible enough to jump onto any protest. regardless of what it stands for… I still remember when many classmates would waste time joining in protests with cafeteria workers demanding more pay… Yet those same classmates would also constantly complain about the high cost in the cafeterias, and never cared that the cafeteria workers were paid much higher wages than their counterparts in the rest of New Haven… Typical student just wants to join the loudest group, for reasons unknown.

• 1Connman

How many black slaves does Yale own? How is Yale mistreating it’s black students?

• eli1

At least we know censorship is alive and well in the YDN comments section…

• Robert Hale

Yale & diversity? What, did they throw out the ONE conservative professor because he was “intolerant of opposing views”?

• Robert Hale

Wow! All those cultural centers and yet no diversity. Wierd. Did they pass by the Yale Republican students office or is that group not allowed on the “diverse” campus? How about the ROTC office? Yale students of late, especially as hilited by the Christakis episode, are reminding us in bright neon the meaning of such terms as “sophomoric” and “un-self-aware”.

• Charles Morgan

Interesting reportage in that the numerous quotes of the student attendees spoke a gibberish of pc gobbledygook, without exception. Not one instance of incisive thinking or meaningful analysis. As an alumnus, I’ve written the admissions office questioning their procedures. I recommend that admissions ask every applicant up front whether he/she/whatever supports the First Amendment unequivocally, whether he accepts the responsibility of behaving in an adult manner as a student, and whether he abjures adopting a position of victimhood as a political tactic. A “no” to any of those questions would generate a rejection letter regardless of any other merits the applicant might have.

• HarveyCedar

One hopes that we have reached peak PC and that soon such nonsense will be routinely laughed off of public forums.

• martin k

Applicants are savvy enough to lie

• Struan Robertson

I believe it would substantially diminish the quality of the Yale experience to apply such a narrow filter for admissions. The First Amendment is not in fact applied unequivocally in any part of the USA. The practical reality is nuanced, with a dynamic balance between freedom of expression and various constraints on free speech.

• Joe_F38

Students marching for their rights to be pampered and cuddled. Nothing can be more noble than this. The following short clip best describes what has really happened at Yale and the deeper implications 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

• Kerryman

Thanks for the letting us know what a class at Yale looks like. It reminded me of the other day when Mr. Christakis was verbally abused and physically menaced by a leader of a protest. Wasn’t that lovely! The inmates are running the asylum (note: This should not be taken as offensive to those with real mental illness).

• icetrey

So they are protesting about an email about an email about what not to wear for Halloween and an alleged racial comment for which no evidence has been provided. Ivy league problems.

• theantiyale

https://youtu.be/nYymnxoQnf8

This YouTube clip is the First Amendment in action Mr. Charles Morgan, not your tidy little vision of Yale admissions criteria which amounts to a straightjacket of policed speech and enforced etiquette. The First Amendment is William F. Buckley calling Gore Vidal a “queer” and threatening to “sock him in the mouth”.
    Paul Keane
    M. Div. ’80

“I recommend that admissions ask every applicant up front whether he/she/whatever supports the First Amendment unequivocally, whether he accepts the responsibility of behaving in an adult manner as a student, and whether he abjures adopting a position of victimhood as a political tactic” Charles Morgan

HERE IS THE TEXT OF THE VIDAL/BUCKLEY EXCHANGE:
    SMITH: Mr. Vidal, wasn’t it a provocative act to try to raise the Vietcong flag in the park in the film we just saw? Wouldn’t that invite—raising the Nazi flag during World War II would have had similar consequences.

VIDAL: You must realize what some of the political issues are here. There are many people in the United States who happen to believe that the United States policy is wrong in Vietnam and the Vietcong are correct in wanting to organize their own country in their own way politically. This happens to be pretty much the opinion of Western Europe and many other parts of the world. If it is a novelty in Chicago, that is too bad, but I assume that the point of the American democracy—

BUCKLEY: (interrupting): —and some people were pro-Nazi—

VIDAL: —is you can express any view you want—

BUCKLEY: —and some people were pro-Nazi—

VIDAL: Shut up a minute!

BUCKLEY: No, I won’t. Some people were pro-Nazi and, and the answer is they were well treated by people who ostracized them. And I’m for ostracizing people who egg on other people to shoot American Marines and American soldiers. I know you don’t care—

VIDAL (loftily): As far as I’m concerned, the only pro- or crypto-Nazi I can think of is yourself. Failing that—

SMITH: Let’s, let’s not call names—

VIDAL: Failing that, I can only say that—

BUCKLEY (snarling, teeth bared): Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I’ll sock you in your goddam face, and you’ll stay plastered—

(Everybody talks at once. Unintelligible.)

SMITH: Gentlemen!

• John Locke

Classic.

• I Dominguez-Urban

Very good entertainment. It’s what we see on TV every day: Talking heads all shouting over each other with their most emotionally charged points, and neither trying to understand the other’s points, cutting off speakers before they finish making their points or answering the reporters’ questions. There’s no attempt to truly understand what the other is saying so you can show him and the listeners where he is wrong and why; because you can’t prove an argument wrong if you don’t understand it. It riles up the bases and makes people more emotional about the subject. What it doesn’t do is move the conversation toward a solution by even a nanometer.

• Charles Morgan

There are many Yale constituencies: administrators, faculty, employees, students, and alumni. Students, especially, are likely to dismiss alumni as antediluvian has beens, just this side of the grave. I know I felt that way many years ago. But alumni are important to the university and the university knows this. So, present students, consider how the current kerfluffle about, at its core, the propriety of Halloween uniforms and the symbolism thereof, appears to alumi/alumnae more than a couple of years out from graduation. We are embarrassed by your behavior, those of you who are instigators of this process.

• theantiyale

I am one alumnus not embarrassed at all. Protest is as American as baked beans.

PK
      MDIV’80

• disqus_fvLIBK8ktD

I would have thought that you, a graduate of the divinity school, would not agree that protesting should include shouting your opponent down, cursing them, or spitting on them–I deplore it whether it happened to Jesus or the Christakises or the students leaving the Buckley free speech event.

• Struan Robertson

I think the Christakises as well as the Shouting Student will spend the rest of their respective lives reflecting on whether their chosen forms of expression were appropriate. In my view none of them chose the right form. In the case of the Christakises, their well reasoned rebuttal would not have raised an eyebrow had it come from someone OTHER than the Master of a residential college. See the YDN article above for messages from other Masters as to their narrow role in the Yale context. Similarly, the Shouting Student had an important message (“Mr Christakis, your role as Master of Silliman is to support the students”) that will forever be forgotten in light of its highly unfortunate delivery.

• Juan Diaz

I am really at a loss to understand what these students find so offensive and hurtful. An e-mail about Halloween costumes and a well-argued rebuttal by an Associate Master, an alleged racial incident at a fraternity party that the University is investigating, and, pray tell, what else? What am I missing here? Everyone is donning the victim outfit and dancing in the streets. These students are so pampered and spoiled it is laughable to view them as victims of anything else other than their own infantile view of life. And for this they are skipping classes?

One has to wonder what has happened to the admissions standards at Yale. These are not serious students interested in a serious discussion about race, ethnicity, gender, etc. This is the PC police run amok on the Yale Campus. With reading week and finals on the horizon, one can only hope that all this nonsense will end soon and a seriousness of purpose will return to what was once a bastion of intellectual thought and the pursuit of light and truth (lux et veritas).

• martin k

They are DOING what’s called Virtue Signalling and collectively it’s called a smugfest

• Peter Adolf

To everyone here thinking it is the students suppressing free speech with “political correctness” and people like the Christakises defending it:

The Christakises mistake was not content, but context. If you say that all human beings are precious and worthy of protection from harm, that is totally uncontroversial. But if you answer “Black Lives Matter” with “All Lives Matter,” the exact same sentiment now denigrates the struggles of people of color. The Christakises and their supporters failed to recognize that difference.

The point of free speech is the free flow of the “marketplace of ideas,” the ideal to which the University aspires. But once people begin to suspect that you don’t understand or appreciate how racist speech affects them, you can have all of the free speech you want, but no one is listening. “Safe space” means an environment where people feel respected and valued, and can let their guard down enough to be open to listening to new ideas. The marketplace of ideas, like the actual marketplace, is skewed by power: the powerless can’t hear, and the powerful have no incentive to listen.

I applaud the students whose outcry has thrown the rest of the Yale community back on its heels a bit. It is only when both sides of a debate are equally safe – or equally uncomfortable – that free speech can actually bridge the gap from speaker to listener. The University succeeds in its mission not simply by allowing all free speech without judgment, but as an environment where people feel both free to speak and secure and valued enough to listen.

• NYAttorney

Neither Christakis responded to the statement “Black Lives Matter” with “All Lives Matter.” But if they did, it would not be a cause for condemnation, or for forsaking arguments based on the merits for arguments based on the perceived power of the speaker. The latter leads to the dead-end you have reached, which diminishes the Yale community.

.

• td2016

No, almost everything you write is wrong, and not just a little bit.

“Safe space,” as used in current university political argot, definitely does NOT mean “an environment where people feel respected and valued, and can let their guard down enough to be open to listening to new ideas.” It is a space in which the expression of disfavored thoughts is not permitted and one is restrained from arguing against the local orthodoxy.

Nor is it correct AS A GENERAL PRINCIPLE that “it is only when both sides of a debate are equally safe – or equally uncomfortable – that free speech can actually bridge the gap from speaker to listener.” Any scientific debate, for example, generally properly proceeds by constant accumulation of scientific evidence that makes one side or the other feel increasingly unsafe (aka “wrong”) and the other side feel increasingly safe (aka “right”). The prospect of losing one’s grant if one is shown to be wrong further exaggerates the sense of “unsafeness” that comes with any growing realization that one is losing such a debate. Any other methodology corrupts the science. Any criminal or civil jury trial is another counter example to your simplistic false model: both sides in a trial put on their cases and either then settle the matter or the jury does it for them. If there is a settlement, the party who feels the more “unsafe” simply gives up more. That’s not unusual. The list of counter examples is endless. Your general principle is false.

And the University would UTTERLY FAIL in its mission if it complied with your thinking and restrained speech and other expression except where the context is “an environment where people feel both free to speak and secure and valued enough to listen.” Nobody’s right to speak is EVER contingent merely on the intended listener feeling “secure and valued enough to listen.” Do protestors outside Woolsey Hall have to check with the Corporation members to determine that they are feeling valued and secure the day of the protest? Of course not! Much of the value of free expression often lies in the ability to challenge those who do not feel safe and secure.

What I write above hardly comes close to exhausting an exploration of all of the errors in your brief and utterly wrong headed comment.

• HarveyCedar

Actually free speech can yield an accurate, true thought. Sometimes this accuracy arises as a synthesis of the thoughts of both sides, but more often the accurate thought is closer to one side of the debate or the other. Generally the inaccurate side slowly loses power.

Since blacks are a subset of all, then saying all lives matter includes black lives mattering. What you are trying to actually say when you say black lives matter is that those to whom you are saying this don’t think black lives matter. I’m pretty sure that few people think black lives don’t matter, although, after all this racially charged rhetoric and protest activity, I suspect some may consider black thinking on these matters a bit addled.

• Canbuhay

Who gets to decide what is safe and therefore who should be censored? Claiming that something is “safe” is just as subjective as claiming something is “hateful”. If you are going to censor other people’s right to speak, we had better have something other than the fluid feelings of students who don’t think anyone has a right to disagree with them, to determine what is “safe”.

• Commenter

“Safety” is another word for freedom from offense – which is to say that my need to not be offended is more important than your right to speech.

Instead of developing a generation of rational, creative thinkers, we have developed a cohort of exquisitely sensitive young victims.

• Kerryman

The most discouraging aspect of this tempest in a teapot is the fact that the author of the banner held at the demonstration is an English major. What else could explain the syntactical brilliance of “we out here…we aint (sic) leaving….we are loved.” One would hope that the student responsible for the banner not miss any more English classes. Also, it saddens that the late Mr. Rogers (or his 2015 version) couldn’t be here to assure the protesters that they are loved. There seems to be something missing here. Aren’t they Yale students? Creme de la creme. The chosen few. The future leaders of our country. So, one is at a loss to understand the hand wringing and sturm and drang over whatever are the issues. “Every protest should end with a dance party.” Enough said.

• Arthur Saget

I was there in the 70s and nothing made sense then either.

• td2016

Ruth Marcus is practically a test-charge for the whole liberal establishment:

“Trigger warning: I’m about to commit a micro-aggression. Maybe a macro one. Here goes: Yale students worked up over an email about Halloween costumes, grow up. Learn some manners. Develop some sense of judgment and proportion.”

As the saying goes: Read the whole thing. When a liberal “cause” loses Marcus, it’s time to cash in the chips:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/11/11/college_is_not_for_coddling_128694.html.

• Doc1943

When I was at Yale there were no women and only a few “people of color”. Not surprisingly there were no major demonstrations of students who felt as the students apparently do today.
    The USA demonstrably has had a racist “problem” at least since 1864.
    Bringing people together through campaigns to expand racial diversity at Yale is bound to create racial incidents. But, paradoxically, the only way to reduce racism is to expose people of different races to other. As in medicine,sometimes the cure hurts as much as the disease. This is sad but I am hopeful for things to improve.

• http://philosoraptor.blogspot.com Blunt Force Karma

“The point of this march was to shift the tone in the dialogue. Last week there was a lot of pain, and it was emotionally draining and traumatic for many people of color on campus, ”

So…their reason for doing this was that their irrational, illiberal, uncivil actions of last week were draining and traumatic…for them?

“…even though it was a necessary move,”

I don’t know how to represent the incredulous blinking at the screen that this prompted from me.

“Right now, moving forward, we are looking to heal ourselves .”

From…what harm, exactly?

“…so that we can strengthen ourselves, regroup and push for specific demands and positive change for the future.”

So they do not apologize for their actions of last week, they don’t see anything wrong with them, and they’re just having a dance party to get ready for some more shrieking and spitting?

Do they know they’ve lost and not know how to respond? Can they not comprehend being denied whatever they stamp their feet and demand?

And in some ways the strangest part of all of this is their need to chant that they “are loved.” Honestly, I don’t know what to make of that at all.

• Μephisto

I didn’t knew American students were so sensitive , bullies & victims at the same time.
    My solidarity to Christakis duo.

• Commenter

This type of racial bullying by the likes of Jerelyn Luther and Jonathan Butler will continue until the public outcry becomes sufficiently great – or until they have torn down higher education as we know it.

• hal09i

Well, I’m just glad that after protesting free speech and free expression they were able squeeze a bit of fun out of the whole thing with a dance party.