Joey Ye

This article has been updated to reflect the version that ran in print on Nov. 9.

After a comment made by speaker Greg Lukianoff during a private William F. Buckley, Jr. Program conference on free speech was posted on the Facebook group “Overheard at Yale” Friday afternoon, over 100 students gathered around Linsly-Chittenden Hall to voice their anger.

“Looking at the reaction to [Silliman College Associate Master] Erika Christakis’ email, you would have thought someone wiped out an entire Indian village,” Lukianoff said, according to Gian-Paul Bergeron ’17, who was present at the event and posted the quotation online just after 4 p.m. According to seven other attendees interviewed, the remark was followed by laughter in the crowd, although students present gave different accounts of how many audience members laughed. Lukianoff is president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a nonprofit organization committed to defending individual rights on American college campuses. In addition to speaking at the Buckley conference, Lukianoff was also a guest at a Silliman College Master’s Tea Thursday evening about the importance of free speech on college campuses. He is the author of “Coddling of the American Mind,” an article in The Atlantic that Erika Christakis tweeted last week in response to criticism of her Oct. 30 email defending students’ rights to wear costumes that might be deemed culturally appropriative.

The conference, which was planned months before allegations of racial discrimination surrounding both Christakis’ email and a Sigma Alpha Epsilon party attracted national attention this past week, was open to the entire Yale community but required prior registration, and the deadline was in October. Opening remarks for the daylong conference were given by Silliman College Master Nicholas Christakis, who has also elicited heavy criticism for his defense of his wife’s email. Other speakers included former Federal Election Commission Commissioner Bradley Smith and U.S. Sen. Benjamin Sasse GRD ’04, and over 250 students, alumni and donors attended the conference, according to Buckley Program President Zach Young ’17.

Before the comment was made, Edward Columbia ’18 — a white male who did not register for the event — walked into the room and began putting up signs along the front of the room  which read “Stand with your sisters of color. Now, here. Always, everywhere,” according to Columbia and Bergeron. They both said a security guard asked Columbia to leave because he was not registered and because he was putting up posters, but he refused to do so. Shortly after, Lukianoff made the comment about the Indian village, and Columbia shouted at Lukianoff and asked him why he thought it was funny, according to Columbia.

While Columbia resisted, the guard dragged him outside of the room, where he was pinned down and handcuffed before being taken to a squad car, Columbia said. Both Bergeron and Columbia said the officer used an appropriate amount of force. Columbia was given a citation, which he called “a mere slap on the wrist,” and said he will appear in court, though he declined to specify when this will happen.

“I couldn’t let the joke go. It was too f—ed up,” Columbia said. “All of the officers treated me well, and I feel bad for putting a security officer who was just doing his job in a position where he had to drag me out. But I also wonder whether I would have been released so quickly … if I weren’t a white male.”

Some Buckley fellows present at the event gave a slightly different account. They said they were not bothered when Columbia put up signs and only asked him to leave when he interrupted and shouted at the speaker. The signs were taken down after Columbia’s removal.

The online Facebook post led a group of Native American women, other students of color and their supporters to protest the conference in an impromptu gathering outside of LC 102, where the Buckley event was taking place. Officers from the Yale Police Department stood in front of the entrance, announcing that the event was at full capacity and that no one who had not registered would be allowed to enter.

The situation escalated when Young and another attendee left the room where the conference was taking place to offer food to the protestors in the hallway. Students demanded that a representative from the protesters be allowed to join the conference and voice their views. But one attendee engaged with the protesters, stating that unregistered students were not allowed into the room and adding that speakers within the conference were entitled to their views as well. The standoff quickly became confrontational, with speakers on both sides raising their voices. Young said he did not stay to address the protesters because he was busy organizing the event. He stressed that the protesters were not allowed into the event because they had not registered.

“I will share the University’s policy on free speech,” Dean of Student Engagement Burgwell Howard, who arrived near the end of the conference, told the crowd. “You have a right to free expression, and so do the people inside. As long as there’s a clear path [to allow attendees to leave the conference] you can hold up your signs.”

Howard reminded the student protesters that any attempt at blocking the attendees’ departure would risk arrest, which the students acknowledged.

Around 5:45 p.m., as attendees began to leave the conference, students outside chanted the phrase “Genocide is not a joke” and held up written signs of the same words. Taking Howard’s reminder into account, protesters formed a clear path through which attendants could leave. A large group of students eventually gathered outside of the building on High Street. According to Buckley fellows present during the conference, several attendees were spat on as they left. One Buckley fellow said he was spat on and called a racist. Another, who is a minority himself, said he has been labeled a “traitor” by several fellow minority students. Both asked to remain anonymous because they were afraid of attracting backlash.

Mitchell Rose Bear Don’t Walk ’16, a Native American student and one of the leaders of the protest, said she has spoken to the fellow who said he was spat on. She emphasized that spitting is “disgraceful” and not the message the protestors were looking to convey, but she confirmed that it did happen.

“The spitting happened,” she told the News Sunday night. “Our movement is founded in the idea that all people’s voices should be heard. We cannot maintain the integrity of this message whilst questioning or silencing other accounts.”

An emotional rally soon followed as the last attendees emerged from LC and left the conference. Bullhorn in hand, Bear Don’t Walk shared her anger with the crowd, which had grown in size, about the comment made at the Buckley event. She expressed despair that this comment came on the heels of discussions about racial issues on campus.

“About an hour ago, we were sitting at the Native American Cultural Center and we were talking. We said today was one of the only days we felt okay on this campus,” Bear Don’t Walk told the crowd. “Then we looked at our Facebook feed and we saw this message about what someone at this freedom of speech conference said. But we rallied and we gathered here to tell them that this is not okay.”

Ending on the chant “We out here, we’ve been here, we ain’t leaving, we are loved” — a phrase that was also used during Thursday’s gatherings on Cross Campus with Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway — protesters soon dispersed. Before leaving, protesters left their signs along the building’s walkway.

Buckley Fellows interviewed said the Facebook post misrepresented what occurred during the conference. Connor Wood ’19 said while there was laughter following Lukianoff’s comment, many attendees were made uncomfortable by the statement. Gabriel Ozuna ’15 added that most audience members were Yale alumni and donors who were not fully aware of the past week’s racially charged events.

“Although I think the protesters misinterpreted the ‘Overheard at Yale’ post, I think the protest is a good sign of healthy debate and free speech at Yale,” Woods said.

In a statement to the News, Young wrote that the protesters’ actions have highlighted the need to protect free speech on campus.

“The protesters yesterday underscored the need to vigorously promote a culture of free expression at Yale,” he wrote. “Disagreement is not grounds for censorship, disruption or intimidation.”

Speaking with the News Saturday, Young said organizers of the event had taken appropriate and responsible precautions. He said he had contacted the YPD several days before and was in communication with Holloway and University Secretary and Vice President for Student Life Kimberly Goff-Crews before and during the event.

Yale Native American Arts Council President Emily Van Alst ’16 said the comment mocked a cultural genocide. Everyone should have the right to free speech, she said, but there is a distinct line between free speech and hateful, hurtful, racist speech which results in violence.

Bear Don’t Walk said the protesters followed all the appropriate rules and formed a path for the attendees of the Buckley event. However, she did acknowledge that it is difficult for students to have productive discussions in such emotionally charged situations.

“Things got heated on both sides,” she said. “It’s hard to have constructive discussions when there is a large group of people who are passionate and emotional about what’s at stake.”

• td2016

Columbia’s behavior as recounted here is completely unacceptable, and constitutes a clear attempt to silence others and disrupt their expression and association. It was also criminal. His discipline by the state and the University should not be limited to slaps on the wrist. In the case of the University, a substantial period of probation or even suspension is warranted. He should also be required to attend sensitivity therapy to raise his awareness of the rights of others and his obligations to respect all members of the Yale community.

Spitting on another person is also a criminal act, not protected expression. In fact, a disturbing fraction of the behavior of some of the students involved in recent protests is likely criminal, including at least some recent student treatment of both Holloway and Christakis. I doubt of those people are interested in pressing for discipline of the students involved, but all undergraduates should be aware that putting oneself in a state of high dudgeon does not entitle one to abuse others in the community (that scene in the Silliman courtyard was execrable, and the woman who cursed and silenced Christakis should be disciplined and required to attend sensitivity training and serious psychiatric evaluation) or to break the criminal laws of Connecticut.

• JTA

Mommy and daddy pay too much for that sort of accountability.

• 15gladyskravitz

Both students, to whom you refer, should be expelled immediately.

• righteousreverenddynamite

Spitting also can transmit tuberculosis.

• micah09

I saw the video of the woman yelling and cursing at Christakis. Utterly appalling. She does not belong at Yale. How the heck did she get in?

• Ralphiec88

More importantly, will they really let her stay?

• JTA

Let’s see…Emily Van Alst? So a white girl is deciding or dictating what the original inhabitants of the Americas are supposed to be called? Even when the majority of them accept either term? Impressive.

• Craig

Im certain that the majority of students fail to realize that Chris Buckley is a satirist in the same fashion as Stephen Colbert, or Bill Maher. It is what he does.

• 15gladyskravitz

The majority of the students don’t realize anything anymore.

• I Dominguez-Urban

I don’t think the comment was made by Chris Buckley but by Lukianoff.

• aaleli

Just go with the first 8 words of the first sentence.

• Jesse Larner

The event, and the article, had absolutely nothing to do with Chris Buckley. Perhaps you’ve never heard of his deceased dad? He was rather influential.

• Charles Morgan

Good straight reporting! From my point of view, it is always bad to be demonstrating against free speech. Demonstrators cannot really win that one and to press that point engenders ridicule from the larger society. Except, perhaps, from Marxists and fascists.

• Jesse Larner

Show me one quote from Marx in favor of censorship. Show me ONE.

• mogden

The batshit insanity on display here must be answered with harsh measures. The aggrieved parties here have no place at Yale or at any other respectable college. They should be summarily expelled.

• Jerry Vandesic

“The online Facebook post led a group of Native American women, other students of color and their supporters to protest …”

It’s a bit presumptuous to assume that the Indian Village referred to by the speaker was in America. Most Indian Villages are in India.

• JTA

Also, has it occurred to no one else that Lukianoff was picking the worst atrocity he could think of to highlight the outrage on campus? How is that racist?

• KiteFlyer89

This erasure…smh

• I Dominguez-Urban

That’s the way I understood it when I first read the comment.

• Jesse Larner

Just as a Native American is any person born anywhere in the Americas, regardless of ethnic background. If you want to get technical.

• Will Dooley

The placement office at Yale better staff up. Who’s going to want to employ these imbeciles?

• 15gladyskravitz

The White House? Jeh Johnson? Acorn? Black Lives Matter? George Soros? A few names that come to mind- and they are not meant as a compliment.

• Jesse Larner

Please give some sources on how ANY of the individuals or organizations cited suppress free speech. Acorn no longer exists, by the way, and hasn’t for quite some time. And Soros is – rather explicitly – a champion of free speech and the Open Society.

• ThomasA

Acorn just shed its name. It exists with the same people in the same form under a different name. Do you really think Tom Steyer stopped spending all that money he earned from his coal mine investments?

• micah09

Odds are, Acorn.

• aaleli

Other liberal Universities perhaps.

• ThomasA

They will find jobs in the federal government, writing rules and regulations for the rest of us to follow.

• charleslynn

This is what scares me most. It sounds like a joke, but in fact it’s deadly serious.

Fascism here we come.

• micah09

Why, the civil service of course. They’ll fit right in a future democrat-run justice department. All will wear uniforms, including the brown shirts.

• river_tam

> She added that the terminology also should have referred to Native Americans and not Indians

This is the same Emily Van Alst that wrote an article for a website called “Indian Country Today”, right?

• Tim

The hypersensitivity of some Yale students is a national disgrace. One of our supposedly most elite institutions is filled with people who can’t tolerate someone wearing Halloween costumes they don’t like. Utterly disgraceful.

• ldffly

You see, this is how some of them make atonement for their slot near the top of society’s hierarchy.

• Bubbles
      • Hassan

I apologize for my fellow white people that apparently think its funny to justify racism. Not funny.

• eli1

how does a joke result in violence?

• Hubert_the_Infant

It has finally happened. I am embarrassed to have graduated from Yale. How could these students, who have no concept of the importance of free speech, have been admitted?

• disqus654e9725qwe

Take a guess…

• JTA

At least you got out before it was too late.

• ldffly

Just what I have been thinking.

• libertyftw

Breaks your heart to watch true scholarship devolve into pseudo-intellectualism.

• 15gladyskravitz

You might want to review Yale’s new admit policy. They look to socially engineered constructs, rather than academics, as their rubric.

• martin k

Advocatus diaboli… Yale is fighting tooth and nail for the same few applicants of color. When they arrive on campus many discover that they are not up to snuff. This enrages them further as they are used to being treated as deities.

• ShadrachSmith

You could do a Reddit thing, Trainee Social Justice Warriors epic fails.

• robert99

Cringeworthy comportment from these “enlightened” students who I am sure labored mightily to be accepted.

• micah09

Uh, the answer would violate PC.

• disqus654e9725qwe

You’re witnessing the bottom decile of Yale. Thank admissions for lowering the bar.

• Boris Badenov

So, you are a graduate of Yale and you have never heard of affirmative action, eh?

• CivilizedDisagreementPlease

The only violence occurring in this story is the protestors’ spitting on some of the attendees … who were not the individual who made the comment that offended them. There is no justifiable excuse for spitting on people and calling them names, simply because they are at an event where someone else says something offensive. Heck, I’ll go farther – please don’t spit, even on the person who said the offensive remark. A Yale education should provide sufficient skills in conducting civilized discourse with those with whom one disagrees that resorting to spitting isn’t needed.

• 15gladyskravitz

Yale clearly no longer gives, no requires, students sufficient skills in anything approaching civility.

• righteousreverenddynamite

Yale rhymes with Fale.

• Gregory

It takes the best college in America to learn that level of stupid.

• Garden Ridge ✔Gold Verified

“The officer treated me well but I don’t know how I would have been treated if I wasn’t a white male.”

Making assumptions about something that could have or could not have happened. Anyhow, I’m sure if he had been anything but a “white male” that Yale security officer would have broken his arm, if not kill him.

This is ridiculous behavior by people with zero real life experiences outside extremely privileged environments.

• matt10023

Since we’re discussing a hypothetical, lets play. If he had been female he would have been treated better by the system for the same infraction.

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

Quoting the article: “men receive 63% longer sentences on average than women do,” and “[w]omen are…twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted.” This gender gap is about six times as large as the racial disparity that Prof. Starr found in another recent paper.

Is this female privilege?

• robert99

If this guy Columbia wants to be an Asian female instead of a white male it’s up to him. These days.

• Phil Ostrand

Seriously WTF is going on at Yale? Have these students even read the Constitution? You have a right to your opinion. You have a right to be offended. You have a right to protest. YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO SHUT DOWN OTHERS!!!

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/11/we-live-in-a-world-gone-mad-yale-edition.php

• DF

Well, actually, Yale is a private institution. They have the legal right to set their own rules and policies concerning freedom of expression. But that also means they have the responsibility to do so, presumably in a way that does not make a mockery of the values they claim to stand for. The idea that a free interchange of ideas among scholars will benefit the search for truth for all is an older idea than Constitutional freedom of speech; indeed it is what the latter is based on–society as salon, as you might put it. And ultimately, there is no outside force who can ensure the survival of these ideas at Yale–no one legally empowered to save us but us, should we fail ourselves.

• Phil Ostrand

Well I can certainly influence them. I give Yale alot of money every year. I can certainly stop that.

• ChuSez

Free Speech takes another beating at Yale, while Yale University is becoming a national joke.
    Do you think Columbia realizes that he proved Greg Lukianoff’s point?

• 15gladyskravitz

The left clearly and unequivocally believes- they are entitled to their opinions and you are not.

• Jesse Larner

Please don’t say “the left.” There are plenty of free-speech leftists such as myself. Saying that this kind of thing is inherent to “the left” in general is like saying that all of “the right” endorses the “War on Christmas” insanity.

• Pete76

I’m a lefty and this depresses the hell out of me. I mean that for years
    the American right has used bogus social issues to launder their true
    agenda–disastrous supply-side exploitation. Now what passes for the
    left is buying the same, lame bill of goods. These Yale incidents offer the
    perfect examples. A young woman thinks she has the right to be
    offended by a perfectly civil email regarding her celebration of a
    holiday meant for nine year olds. She evidently has the right to shout
    obscenities at her professors, while demanding all the comforts of home.
    I guess that living in what outside the walls of Yale would be
    multi-million dollar real estate, and having her meals served at her
    whim, and having the most premiere academic and recreational resources
    at her disposal is all just tremendously alienating. And now a group of students protest their own rights to free speech. Perhaps the saddest part is how humorless these children are. Guess what, kiddos–good jokes tend to be about the kinds of things that don’t come with trigger warnings. To test this proposition, consider the following. There is a huge impoverished city outside your walls. It is called New Haven. People who live here, if they do have a job, are probably cleaning up after you. Tell one of these people about the village joke or the costume scandal, and ask them if they are now unable to conduct their lives because of the hurt they feel. All these coddled,
    over-funded twerps demanding “safe spaces” for their precious feelings
    exhibit the exact same pathology as a rally of belligerent Trump
    supporters. Well, at least this Halloween managed to be scary after all.

• Kerryman

Pretty pathetic, I agree, Pete. I think the “young lady” acted in a barbaric manner. Especially so was the dropping of the backpack and the intended physical threat that she presented. I would toss her out of Yale in a New York minute. She was abusive and presented a physical threat to Mr. Christakis.

• Neveragain1948

VERY well said, thank you!

• Boris Badenov

Yes, we’re all quite sure you’ve attended numerous Trump rallies.
      And this “young woman” IS the left and not “what passes for the left.”

We’ve seen examples of this marxist-fascist Alinskyite progressivism for decades. The difference is that now everyone involved in this incident is a leftie of some sort.

The left always cannibalizes itself. Bon Apetit.

• RealSoccerFC

Thank you Yale students and those of many other highly rated private universities for behavior like this, I know longer see any need to save hundreds of thousands of dollars to send my sons to such a school.

• Harry Melline

I’m sure Yale and her students will be fine without your clan.

• aaleli

I know I’m beating a dead horse, but what was that Jeremiah Wright line about…. chickens coming home to roost? And not to mix metaphors (but to be ecumenical) Karma is a b*tch. Universities, their policies, their professors (for the most part) have embraced this left leaning, feel-good, no consequences for my actions, no personal responsibility tripe for decades. This behavior, or lack thereof, is the “real-time” result. Now, will Yale finally mete out actual discipline or create more of the same?

• micah09

You think Salovey has the character to take decisive action against student thugs? Watch the video with the vulgar, loud, and disrespectful student verbally assaulting a Yale college official, talking nonsense on top of it. Wanna bet nothing happens to her? It’s a disgrace.

• aaleli

Sadly, I’m sure you’re right.

• http://vpostrel.com Virginia Postrel

So burning an Indian village is no longer considered an example of a terrible crime?

• Jesse Larner

That was the WHOLE POINT of Lukianoff’s comment. He was saying that burning down an Indian village IS a terrible thing; wearing an arguably “offensive” Halloween costume is not. He was pointing out that the Halloween protesters were acting as if Christakis, in saying the latter, had done the former. The people protesting Lukianoff’s remark were apparently too dense to realize that it was the Halloween costume protesters – in proclaiming that offensive costumes are equivalent to racial violence – who actually trivialized that violence, not Lukianoff.

• http://vpostrel.com Virginia Postrel

I guess my deadpan rhetorical question was too subtle as well.

• nexus84

I am so happy I went to college before these SJW twits emerged on the scene. And I’ve never been happier to have turned down Yale.

• bill bill

It’s their right to be narrow minded protesters.

• reggiedog

He’s a link to the speaker’s Atlantic article (which I am surprised isn’t discussed at all in any of the articles or comments this weekend) http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

• wilburthefriendly

Is there something inherently wrong with saying “Indian village”? Are we comfortable divining whether he was referring to Native Americans, or Indians of the subcontinent? Seems folks are going out of their way to get upset.

• Kerryman

From what I have heard and seen happening at Yale recently, free speech is not what it used to be. Did the Taliban or isis slip something into the water down there? No free speech was the coin of the Nazi realm. Is that what you want? Disgusting.

• micah09

Another feature of the Nazi era was the group of brown shirts who would disrupt meetings, harass and assault people.

• DF

There are really only two things here that raised alarm bells for me–those folks who think they have a right to spit on others, and–perhaps even more so–that last quotation. I hope, as an indirect quote, it’s just journalistic sloppiness, but I fear otherwise.

There is no line, distinct or otherwise, between free speech and “hateful, hurtful, racist speech.” “Free speech” is not a **type** of speech, it is a name for a principle of how we govern ourselves–specifically designed to apply to speech regardless of content. Also, speech does not “result” in violence, unless it specifically directs it. As a victim of racially motivated assault myself, I do not give my assailants that excuse, thank you very much.

Additionally, I am not an Indian, but I will say that Ms. van Alst is the first Indian I have ever heard of (as opposed to clueless white people) who does not want to be called an Indian. “Native Americans” are a much larger group–including Eskimos and Metis and possibly Hawaiians and so forth. If Mr. Lukianoff said Indians presumably he meant Indians, offensive joke notwithstanding. It’s not a dirty word.

• righteousreverenddynamite

For completeness’ sake: Geographically-speaking, Hawaiians would not be grouped as “Native Americans” as they were Polynesians who sailed north from Polynesia (after getting to Polynesia over successive generations by oceanic exploration or accidental (but lucky-as-Hell) drifts from the western south Pacific (Micronesia/Melanesia). Whereas the Native Americans came from East Asia over the Land Bridge. (imagine the corporate naming-rights bidding war if that bridge was still there!) The Hawaiian Archipelago is the most isolated island geographically-speaking from any continental land mass. Socially, perhaps, they had somewhat similar misfortunes of Native Americans with the landing by those who followed Capt. James Cook in the 1770s (subjugation, second class citizenship, broken treaties, overthrow of rulers (Queen Lilioukulani) , suppression of native language, and suppression of surfing (yes…that did happen as it was previously a religious practice).)

• DF

Right. No of course Hawaii is not geologically part of the Americas, nor are the Hawaiians related to any of the Bering bridge migrant groups. But politically, of course, they are an indigenous people of the United States (Native United Statesian would probably be more accurate, but we use “American” as a somewhat confusing demonym for subjects of our particular country) and as such as you point out they do and morally should share some aspects with the Indians and Eskimos in how they are considered vis a vis Federal policy and so forth. Not all aspects by any means, since their history and consequently their present political relationship to the government differs in critical ways. It’s interesting how much they do differ on certain things.

P.S. I forgot Aleuts and other Western hemisphere polar peoples!

• dbr1

The undergrad who gets the last word here has decided that there is a difference between free speech and ‘hateful, hurtful, racist speech which results in violence.’

Got it. I can say whatever I want, as long as the speech police certify that I’m not hurting any one’s feelings.

• righteousreverenddynamite

Perhaps the protestors should understand Mr. Likianoff’s oratorical use of hyperbole/meiosis during an off-the-cuff quip (during a rude interruption) to underscore the overblown intensity of the “outcry” of the Halloween-email as being disproportionate and would only be understandable, and APPROPRIATE, in the setting of protest against a definite atrocity (“wiping out an Indian village”, or Holocaust, slavery, gulags, etc.for that matter.). “First-World problem memes” come to mind.
    Likewise, shouting down an officially-invited speaker (and they seem to always non-liberal speakers), seems to echo certain techniques used by certain groups during the Cultural Revolution. This technique of public intimidation is used every Sunday morning in Cuba against the Ladies in White (outside their very squalid homes) by goon squads on salary from the Castro regime. .And it gets rather tiresome. Very impolite. Remember the outright censorship attempt by MSA students like Miss. Omeish to ban Ayaan Hirsi Ali (a Harvard Kennedy Sch. of Govt. visiting Fellow, no less) from addressing the Buckley Society not too long ago.

• Grahovac Janko

>and they seem to always non-liberal speakers

You mean they seem to always BE non-liberal speakers, right?

Anyway, Lukianoff is a leftie. Admittedly, an old-school leftie who understands that the Constitution is not up for left-wing revisionism, but a leftie nonetheless.

• Roger Kimball
    • ldffly

Closing them down and letting them air out is a nice idea.

• disqus_fvLIBK8ktD

I wonder if this Edward Columbia is the same Edward Columbia who took a year off from Yale to act in New York? In the video from the conference, the young bearded man being taken away by the Yale policeman at first goes calmly enough, then at the doorway turns around and melodramatically begins acting like a toddler in a tantrum: yelling, hanging on to door handles, or something, always making sure his face is to the camera. Hmmm.

• disqus_fvLIBK8ktD

It seems completely obvious to me that while Mr. Lukianoff was making a joke he was not joking about burning Indian villages. I feel almost embarrassed to point out he was holding “burning Indian villages” up as a genuine atrocity worthy of outrage; it was the protests over Halloween costumes he was mocking. Of course, what do I know? My PhD is only from Columbia in English where I taught freshman courses in rhetoric.

• matt10023

The irony of Likianoff comment was lost on the protesters. That kind of hyperbole is common among those who are protesting speech they don’t agree with.

And yes, they are behaving as if someone had attempted genocide and making claims that are comparable (e.g, Insensitive Halloween costumes are part of racism that leads to minorities being killed by police).

Protesters spitting on conference attendees proved his point. Their reactions have been out of proportion which I’m sure they’d defend by saying nobody can tell them how to feel. Well, in society, we have “reasonable” tests, and they fail them.

• theantiyale

This is one of the most balanced articles I have read in the 7 years of my posting on YDN. I especially like the juxtaposition of conflicting opinions . Nicely done.
    PK
    M. Div. ’80

• Harry Melline

The Right loves these kinds of over-reactions from the left (and the student’s reactions were certainly not pleasant). But in their response the Right does what it always has done: pats itself on the back so encouragingly that soon their real beliefs begin to show.

Those flooding this section and others prove that he student’s protests are real and their concerns valid. The Right isn’t interested in free speech. They are interested, as they always have been, in selecting what should be free and what should not be free. (i.e.: abortion is legal but it isn’t a right the Right allows and flashing too much skin in a beer commercial requires government censorship).

The Right is and always has been on the side of the oppressor. (Save the Dixiecrat argument, that is the Right, the Klan, not progressives.)

The students, while not yet politically wise in their actions, are on the side of justice. They may act at times foolishly. Yet their agitator and the antagonist of all progress toward equality and a more perfect union is almost always bent with a degree of hatred that identifies itself for what it is.

• disqus_fvLIBK8ktD

“Those flooding this section and others prove that he student’s protests are real and their concerns valid.” Could be rewritten as: “Those protesting emails trusting students to make their own judgments about Halloween costumes and conferences on free speech prove that those concerns are valid.”

• Mnz3

No, they are on the side of fascism. Fascists always dress themselves up as interested in justice while they crush and intimidate all dissent.

• RBT1

Harry, do you even know any conservatives? If so, maybe sit down and talk with one sometime.

• HarborBeach

What an ignorant post.

• Barzini

The left has been behind some of the most heinous breeches of civil rights in all of recorded history.

The left has been behind some of the most tyrannical and truly evil governments of all time.

One of the key tools of Stalin’s dystopian regime was political correctness.

The left has just as much blood, and arguably more, on its hands as the right does.

Either you are for free speech or not, this is not a left/right issue.

• Brandon Hatch

The “Right” has almost nothing to do with what’s going on here. This specific issue at Yale is regarding liberalism & how the younger generations progressive attitudes are illogical bordering on insane.

I’m willing to bet most of these comments flooding in here are actually from people who would identify politically as slightly left of center.

• Ralphiec88

Verbally assaulting members of the college community? Spitting on people? That’s “on the side of justice”? Stop trying to hide behind right and left, and start looking at right and wrong.

• robert99

test to see if this gets rejected, as other comments have.

• disqus_fvLIBK8ktD

I’ve written 2 comments that look as if they appear, then don’t. Will this one? My sin might be attending not Yale but Columbia.

• micah09

Protestors who spat on any attendee should be identified and arrested for assault, and if they are students, should be expelled from Yale, as should the jerk who disrupted the event and was removed in handcuffs. No university should tolerate thugs who have no respect for the basic rights of others.

• Matt S

An interesting point of view coming from the guy defending the supposed free-speech event.

• Mnz3

Spitting is free speech?

• righteousreverenddynamite

That’s the new edition of Buckley’s old book: “Gob and Man at Yale”.

• Earl of Sandwich

“”Protestors who spat on any attendee should be identified and arrested for assault,””

No. These people want to use the state institutions to crush people’s speech. They shouldn’t have their wishes granted – despite themselves being the targets.

What they *should* have done… is have their names published for posterity.

So that any potential company considering them for future employment knows who they are. And so that everyone will remember that these people hold free speech in contempt. And so that if they ever grow up they will have a constant reminder of what awful, spoiled children they behaved like.

• Fred Farth

Wow, you’d think someone had blown up an Indian Restaurant –

• Phil Ostrand

So a quote taken out of context is grounds for assault by students?

• Wayne Clemens

Watch the youtube video of the out-of-control student confronting Professor Cristakis– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0– especially at around 40-50 seconds, where she screams and rages. At a certain point, she drops her backpack and steps forward toward him aggressively. Talk about “safe space.” That is physically threatening, and should be cause for dismissal from the college. You do that in a workplace and you will be fired. You raise your voice like that in an office or workplace and you will be fired. What are these people thinking?

• http://www.artspace.com/magazine/interviews_features/lists/the-10-worst-ways-to-die-in-a-hieronymous-bosch-painting-53872 Hieronymus Machine

Not just any student, btw: a student leader.

• foodandart

Yeah, a student leader who’s going to end up an unemployable adult if she doesn’t learn to parse context in the things she reads. That stands for a host of the students. Oh, America is SO screwed if these kids that represent the future can’t learn contextual meaning in life..

I love that she doesn’t want an intellectual environment, but one all comfy and safe like mommy and daddy provided.. Whoa. At 17 I was out the door and NEVER wanted to crawl back to the folks, for all the comfort it represented. What a spoiled, emotionally insecure, immature child.

If she’s not mortified in a few years by her actions here, now memorialized by the magic of video, she’s on the road to perpetual immaturity.

Sweet Jesus, what a sorry state that schools like Yale find themselves in.. this represents the ‘best and brightest’ that high schools have to offer for the future?

Welcome to America, our best days are behind us.. that’s for sure.

• aaleli

Oh hell she’ll end up as president of the DNC.

• ldffly

Maybe not DNC, but I’m afraid she will have a job. Some of the students who focus on their intellect might have serious troubles.

• aaleli

You mean a reprobate.

• Ralphiec88

This is not a leader. She may believe she’s a leader. Some may even congratulate her for these actions. But she will realize (hopefully soon for her sake) that this is not leadership. This is bullying and out of control.

She should be disciplined for her actions, but I suspect the administration will give it a pass in the hopes of avoiding escalataion. In reality consequences to actions like this are exactly what is necessary.

• Neveragain1948

It all boils down to: spoiled child.

• Boris Badenov

She is definitely not there as a result of academic merit but then everybody already knew that. You get what you enable and, frankly, after the last 50+ years of enabling, the faculty and administrators deserve this.

• dedwards

No one should be surprised by the students’ reactions to an otherwise innocuous email. This is what the code of Social Justice preaches – to decry all that is deemed not to be compliant with Social Justice and express loudly and publicly one’s discontent (that is, until concessions are made).

It should be no surprise that the students are following the Code of Social Justice as the code is openly supported and taught by many departments at Yale! They even give awards for Social Justice adherence and promotion at Graduation!

We are witnessing the lunatics take over the insane asylum… Let them have it. Those that are in the know understand that it isn’t worth much anyway.

• ahh_2_2

We go to college to shut people up, not open our minds. What are these folks going to do in the real world, where you can’t throw a shit fit every time someone says something you don’t like?

• ThomasA

> What are these folks going to do in the real world, ….

Sue.

• Brandon Hatch

They would be forced to decide between further relying on their parents for their livelihood…

…OR they could open a Patreon account in place of a real job & mooch off of their peers as a victim of something/anything/everything. Very popular among that generation.

• http://www.BlacksCantBeRacisistsIsaLie.dumbass Sheik Yerbouti

Oh but they can and do. Thanks to quota hiring for the benefits of diversity, we can all enjoy a big fat dose of endless racial/gender whining.

• Yirmin

Okay… lets play the game by the protesting students’ rules. I and many others are offended by black rabble rousers so how about we ban them from being on campus. You know all under the theory that their mere presence offends people. While we’re at it, I’m offended by feminists and homosexuals so why not ban them too… I know, I know the big come back is you can’t do that it’s discrimination, you need to be tolerant… Well the tolerance goes both ways you wimpy whiners. I can’t recall the number of times I was offended by some idiot at Yale, but I didn’t go crying asking that they be told to stop what they were doing… You tune them out and move on. If you haven’t mastered that skill by the time you are in college you really must have lived a sheltered life and the university’s admission office needs to rethink who it is letting in as clearly Yale has some students too immature to understand what tolerance is – hint it isn’t tolerance when it only applies to others being tolerant of you.

• SCW Sargent

“Yale Native American Arts Council President Emily Van
    Alst ’16 said the comment mocked a cultural genocide. Everyone should
    have the right to free speech, she said, but there is a distinct line
    between free speech and hateful, hurtful, racist speech which results in
    violence.”

No, there is no such line. I can say anything I want, short of slander of a specific individual or actual personal incitement to violence of a specific, physically present person. I have a hundred years of case law to back me up. What do you have, Emily, besides a wet diaper?

• Jason Zhou

Looking at the mob surrounding the Silliman master sickens me. Do these students not realize that countless people throughout history have been put to death for simply voicing their views, many by screaming mobs? The hypocrisy exhibited by these students is simply mind-boggling.

• MagicalMcgoo

Hahahaha, Thank you Yale you have made my fall career recruiting so much easier now that I know I don’t have to stop in New Haven.

• Barzini

Mummy, Mummy, help me, the big man’s words hurt me and made me feel unsafe, where’s my safe space, where’s my safe space……

• http://www.southernwolf.net/ Southern Wolf

Such coddled little weevils.

• Eeners

I have to say I am speechless. I also hope that neither of my children will ever seek to attend Yale (or any Ivy League school) if this is what it has truly become.

• roccolore

Liberals are fascist crybabies who hate free speech. Of course, this is the same Yale that banned the ROTC yet welcomed a Taliban apologist with open arms.

• Brandon Hatch

The term you are looking for is “Progressives”, not Liberals.

• FullMcIntwit

I’ll do you one better. The term is actually “neo-prgressives”. One of the end goals is to rid society of the individual identity in favor of a collective identity (aka a hivemind).

• peconic1960

The difference?

• teember

As a progressive, I find this sort of behavior absolutely abhorrent.

You can want progress for policies, and know that other people can have opinions different than yours.

This is an infantile form of that in the strictest sense. There can be fascism on both sides.

• People

Are Bears Driving These Days?
    Wait, did I confuse sing/pl of bear?

Bear Don’t Walk. Bear Drive. Jr.

Fixed it, thank a monotheistic god of your choosing.

• ShlomoShunn

Bear Bryant Won.

• People

Lol all comments are subject to prior approval. You’re free to speak. Thanks Yale!

• 12mom16

Thank God my son chose a different school

• ThomasA

It will be interesting to see if this young lady is disciplined by Yale for her actions. If she isn’t, then it’s going to be open season on Yale professors.

• robert99

There should be some penalty for this kind of behavior. It’s kind of ironic that much of the aggression seemed to be directed at insuring a threatless, homelike, peaceful environment. The behavior enforces stereotypes.

• GoldRushApple

Yale won’t do anything. They protect their own unless they pull a Christakis.

• GoodWill4All

How can I live my life when Other People have Ideas that I don’t like… How can I function in a world with there is so much disagreement with ME?!?
    Answer: Stop thinking about Yourself – get your mind OUTSIDE yourself and onto the needs of others — Be pleasant, grow some thick skin, and reasonably express my own set of ideas.

People who judge based upon Color of skin (such as “white colonizer”) are not “thinking” at that moment of judgement. They are Reacting… not thinking.

We have to overcome the Exterior of another human being and reflect on the Interior. This was a sad day for Yale… sorry to say.

• 12mom16

Spitting is considered assault.

• Nancy Morris

I think that “assault” is normally defined as “attempted battery.” Actually spitting on someone is, I believe, actually “battery,” which is a pretty serious crime most places. Those perpetrating that crime should be charged criminally.

• GoldRushApple

But but they’re Yale students. Yale. They’re brilliant.

• ShlomoShunn

Battery. Assault is making a threat.

• 12mom16

Depends on where you live. Either way, it’s considered a crime

• Earl of Sandwich

Does anyone have a link to the referenced speech they cite?

• Samuel Adams

Well, looks as though SJWs at Yale have progressed to the Jacobin stage. Hope you enjoy idealogical cannibalism.

• righteousreverenddynamite

Just in time for Thanksgiving! Mmmmm-mmmmmm, good!

• Samuel Adams

Break out the fava beans and Chianti

• ldffly

I’ve been wondering when Robespierre will show up.

• ShlomoShunn

There are several, some being whites who identify as being black. Others are rich black kids.

When the tumbrils fill the “revolutions” founders will become passengers.

• Prince Monolulu

The picture painted by these events would be comical if it wasn’t rather frightening.

These young supposed adults are loudly demanding to be infantalised. At the age of 18 they expect the faculty to be in loco parentis.

“I don’t want to debate. I want to talk about my pain” is attitude that defines this generation. How utterly pathetic.

And perhaps worst of all, if any of the student body dissents from the hysteria, they seem to be too cowed by the thought police to speak up.

• Joe_F38

Not everybody goes to school to learn something. Some (like the fine young fascists who are only smart enough to spit on and bully those who happen to have different opinions) simply want a hugbox.

• Blueskyways

You mean the neoliberals and libertarians.

• squintaroony

Libertarians tend to be strongly critical of campus speech codes and safe spaces.

• Joe_F38

At Yale, somewhere along the line,”I disagree” was replaced by “you’re wrong”and that’s now changed to “I’m offended!!! You shouldn’t exist!”.

The distance between kindergarten and college seems to be closing rapidly.

https://i.imgur.com/fp6nGt1.jpg

• Ralphiec88

What’s troubling is the apparent inversion of reality. When these students graduate, white or black they will face people who want them to fail. That’s life, and expectations that one can be “safe” from opposition deny that reality. Meanwhile these supposed advocates of safe spaces and inclusion harass the husband of someone who dissented and create a gauntlet including spitting on people who are guilty of nothing more than attending a talk they don’t like. Just vile hypocrisy.

• Hassan

No that’s not life. Racism has no place in society, and people of color should never stop dismantling systemic racism. White privilege must be brought to an end.
      As a people we should never stop pursuing a society committed to the dignity of every individual. This especially applicable to institutions of higher learning.

• Ralphiec88

You are arguing a different point. You rightly argue for an end to systemic racism and dignity for all. However student actions this week showed tha hate and denigration come in all colors. My point was that demanding “safety” from a respectful article you disagreed with is tone deaf to the realities just blocks away and leaves students ill prepared for life after college.

• 100wattlightbulb

“White privilege” is what put this country on the map. If you don’t like it- go find a country run by “people of color” that is exceeding all expectations. I’m sorry what? There isn’t one? Well I’ll be damned.

• ShlomoShunn

So dignity now means spitting at people? Only on feminist-influenced Western colleges.

Liberals think blacks can’t be racist. They’re wrong. Blacks are part of the problem. Unless they recognize that they will be blaming whites like they now depend on whites to pay for minority welfare benefits. That is, they will continue to be a dependent, irresponsible, failed race.

• http://www.nodokahanamura.ga Nodoka Hanamura

#YaleFail

• FullMcIntwit

“Yale Native American Arts Council President Emily Van Alst ’16 said the comment mocked a cultural genocide. Everyone should have the right to free speech, she said, but there is a distinct line between free speech and hateful, hurtful, racist speech which results in violence.”

What I read: “I’ve been coddled all my life. Don’t say anything that’ll set me off because I’m not responsible for my emotions and behavior due to what you said, that’s all on you.”

• Nicholas

There needs to be an app for these students to translate what they would like to say into what it actually means. You seem to grasp the translation, perhaps you can design it.

• ShlomoShunn

> “there is a distinct line between free speech and hateful, hurtful, racist speech which results in violence.”

So much for their vaunted calls for tolerance, nuanced understanding, and recognition of complicated/problematic things…when THEY are criticized.

• Russell Steadman

Spitting protesters crying ”racist” have a rather limited vocabulary. I guess it’s a result of being 2 feathers short of a full headdress.

• ShlomoShunn

It’s what they do. In Canada they stamp feet in hallways outside auditoriums when anyone with a diverse idea dares to speak. They also chant loudly, use bullhorns, and pull fire-alarms.

All in the name of tolerance, of course.

• Russell Steadman

Spitting crying protesters have a rather limited vocabulary. I guess it’s a result of being 2 feathers short of a full headdress.

• Russell Steadman

I’m surprised this news site has a comment section at all.

• RHG

They are watching what you say though, like the little fascists they are

• cantsleep56549 .

These poor fascist kids are going to be eaten alive in the real world.
    We have freedom of speech, not freedom FROM speech.
    Employers will see them as a liability, rightfully.
    There are no safe zones in the real world

• Walter

Watch this caaaarefully, and think about where you’re going: https://youtu.be/iKcWu0tsiZM

• Michael

The problem I see with this issue is the lack of perspective by the SJWs. They don’t see this as a disagreement, they see it as so obviously wrong that anyone wanting to debate the issue must be a horrible person and silenced. This seems to be a calculated emotional response to silence the opposition

• ShlomoShunn

It reminds me of Hesse’s book, “Siddhartha.”

That tome begins with the protagonist dispensing wisdom. Of course, he’s been sheltered all his life– even from the sight of death– so he’s talking out his butt but doesn’t know it.

The rest of his book is about his “great unlearning”…going out into the real world and experiencing real life.

These collegians have been spared strife most of their lives. They don’t know how to handle conflict.

• Saxifraga

My liberal educated friends now react and protest like a muslim hate mob!? What did go wrong here? Maybe they too believe in absolutes and try to win the fights of the past against invented plac holder foes? PC has gone much to far.

• thorsmjollnir

A MUSLIM HATE MOB!? You are mocking a religion sir. I’m going to protest your intolerance. SJW’s unite!

• squintaroony

Within the confines of the US, I see far more anti-muslim hate mobs. Hate mobs arise, regrettably, in any community and in support of any ideology. Even supposedly tolerant one.

• peconic1960

I address this to the brats trying to interrupt the conference: unless you want a job teaching the stupid crap you are studying (“studies”), NO ONE IS GOING TO HIRE YOU. You are litigation time bombs, and your future would-be employers will all check your social media accounts. Good luck.

• ShlomoShunn

Sadly, you are wrong. See my post about degrees in Social Justice Studies.

Prime employers will be universities, NGOs, women-only “spaces,” and the Diversity Industry.

• sweetpea

These privileged students are like the accusers of the Salem Witch Trials. That was a sad era in our country’s history and so is this current cultural terrorism by highly privileged young people . They seek power, demand rights, and yet seem to be poorly equipped to deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with them. This situation should concern every taxpayer in America, because although Yale is a private school, billions of dollars in federal money gets channeled into it via grants, etc. This is not how my tax dollars should be spent, on appeasing young elitists who don’t even acknowledge the depth of their own privilege.

• ShlomoShunn

> ‘[P]oorly equipped to deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with them.”

Bingo!

They grew up with everyone getting awards. No one was better at something than anyone else.

Now they believe all ideas are equal, too.

Plus they call for diversity while silencing anyone who disagrees with them. They seem irony-impaired. SOUTH PARK must remain a mystery to them.

• Neveragain1948

You have to *ask*?

• sweetpea

All Universities would do well to emulate Liberty University’s Convocation speaker’s series, which is a educational forum where a wide variety of speakers give their viewpoints to a student body that is largely conservative. Speakers have included Bernie Sanders, for example. Liberty, a largely Christian conservative college welcomes diverse viewpoints and is not afraid to expose the student body to it, and encourages open dialogue. Contrast this with the protection from diverse viewpoints that students from Yale have come to expect. I find it highly ironic that the place to go to receive a well-rounded education is now a conservative Christian University and the place where diversity of thought is attacked is an institution such as Yale. The first step to improve the situation is for these Yale students to have some self-awareness that they are indeed the privileged of not only our own society but of humanity entire. Playing a victim does not become them.

• Frumious Falafel

Excellent point. As a former liberal I would never have anticipated that a conservative Christian College would end up providing for and defending free speech (in practice! not just in theory) to a demonstrably greater extent than an “Ivy League” school. If this trend continues, all liberal arts schools that engage in this type of discrimination (against truly free speech no matter how distasteful) will go bankrupt. It will only be the technical schools (e.g. MIT) and those iconoclastic schools such as Liberty U who survive — in part due to their adherence to both allowing and defining free speech.

• Boris Badenov

How about if all universities emulated what universities used to do?
      Some still do it because some people want to learn to think critically!

Try these for a Real Education:

http://www.sjc.edu/

http://www.thomasaquinas.edu/

• M Aurelius

Ah, St. Thomas…He is weeping..

• ShlomoShunn

Funny.

Minorities whine that Black Lives Matter.

Thomas Aquinas College asserts that Truth Matters.

• squintaroony

Black Lives do matter, and law enforcement treatment of black citizens (and others) has made it necessary to assert what should be obvious. Protesting Tamir RIce’s death, for instance, is hardly “whining.” Flipping out about an email about halloween costumes is pretty far afield from protesting institutional murder, of course. But some things do merit a strong condemnation.

• Jabba

How do you like your pets now, Yale?

• marcus

apparently you have to have your comment approved on this site.. so much irony.. so little time lols!

• Michael Skol

I attended the Buckley conference and was impressed by how the protest reaction to Greg Lukianoff’s comment confirmed his thesis about “The Coddling of the American Mind”. How satisfying it can be when those we criticize provide a graphic demonstration of why the criticism is justified. The conference organizers could not have done a better job illustrating the basic point of the gathering.

• peconic1960

One wonders who will hire these kids. They are all litigation time bombs.

• Andrew Interrupted

Welcome to the Western Marxist occupation, Komarad.
      .

• jwz

I think the only thing they’re suited for is to be minesweepers in eastern Ukraine.

• ShlomoShunn

Sadly, too many places WILL hire them.

In fact, there’s an actual degree now called “Social Justice Studies.”

Sub-specialties include:

* Social Justice and Inequalities
      * Crime, Law and Social Justice
      * Women, Sexuality, and Social Justice
      * Global Peace and Social Justice
      * Social Justice through Community Engagement
      * Global Human Rights

Worse, students are REQUIRED to do field-work, most likely for a liberal cause:

“A praxis (hands-on) experience is a core requirement of the program and is included in the capstone course.”

Per future employers:

“Students in this program usually seek employment
      in government or business and some continue their studies in graduate
      school. Students in this major often assume careers as (or in) the
      following: activists, community organizers, public policy analysts,
      conflict resolution specialists, human relations workers, NGO workers,
      human rights groups, political campaigners, workers in environmental
      organizations, alternative media, human rights groups, political
      campaigns, religious organizations, international agencies, mediators,
      rights advocates, journalists, lobbyists, and community organizers.”

• pure_mercury

That wasn’t a “joke” by Lukianoff. That was an apt comparison of the response to a carefully worded and evenhanded e-mail defending individual rights with the level of outrage one should feel to genocide.

• marcus

Missouri and Yale.. what a joke

• Andrew Interrupted

Oh, of course, and every “unapproved” word is moderated.
    Of course.
    Wow.
    Just WOW.
    I’ve seen the enemy and it is Yale.

• Blueskyways

You know Hillary Clinton is a graduate of Yale.
    “Safe Space” that was my home or the library until I was 10. . I had nothing else to do so I read a lot of books.
    I grew up in south central and east LA . I had dirty blond hair and blue eyes.
    IMO Ben Carson had a easy childhood lol.
    I had to invent military tactic’s to make it point to point (home to school) (school to library etc,) I was always faced by Hispanic gangs who wanted to give me boxing lessons, and did if I was cornered:).
    I learned to give the HS a wide berth. Fourth grade was probably my hardest year. I started carrying a big hunting knife for protection.
    Robert Heinlein convinced me to leave the knife home. I had just turned 8 when I read his boys novel “Tunnel in the Sky” at the library, and his survival advice was to not go armed to meet trouble with foolish bravado, instead be smart, evade trouble, take the indirect approach.
    Besides the darn thing knife was huge and awkward to keep hidden 🙂

• http://www.khaaan.com furious_a

Advice for Yale’ valiant SJWs (or is “Warrior” now considered “cultural appropriation”?).

• Boris Badenov

Yalie Upperclassky: “Oh that’s just a movie and it would only happen under ‘right wing fascist regimes.’ ”

Normal: “You mean like FDR and the japs and Germans?”

Yalie Upperclassky: “You’re hurting my feelings … and you are micro-agressing … and I don’t feel safe and cuddled …. and I’m calling the police!”

Normal: “Well, at least you’re not calling the armed forces.”

Yalie Upperclassky: “Just you wait ……. “

• http://www.khaaan.com furious_a

Good grief, it’s happening again…although, from what I can tell, for the overwrought Yalies the mau-mau’ing is a feature, not a bug.

• Glen Wishard

Higher education survived the so-called “Free Speech Movement”, but this more honestly fascist assault won’t be so easy to withstand. College costs are soaring while enrollments – and prestige – are spiraling downward. More and more people are doing nothing in school except spending money they can’t afford to pay back.

I guess the Ivy League will be okay, though. It will be while yet before the culture of wealth and privilege that feeds it is tapped out.

• RHG

Never give up your guns because you made need them in dealing with the freedom-hating psycho-paths American schools are turning out.

• O|oeeiieeo|O

Have college students lost all ability to comprehend meaning and context? That was in no way ‘mocking’ genocide. The analogy took as it’s base the idea that genocide is very serious and deserving a large response. To be sure, it was a bit of hyperbole, if an Indian villiage were destroyed, one would expect more than a protest. But it certainly wasn’t mocking genocide.
    You know who does genuinely mock and celebrate genocide? Social justice warriors who tweet things like #killallmen and #killallwhitemen

• O|oeeiieeo|O

Also, to then punish the conference attendees for a comment made by one of the speakers…it doesn’t even make any sense. The joke was definitely NOT mocking genocide. and even if it were, the audience members should not bear any punishement or responsibility. The entire thing is incoherent and just makes the protesters look bad and alienates otherwise sympathetic, but reasonable and fair minded people.

• http://www.khaaan.com furious_a

Memo the Yalies and those feelzsplaining them: “We believe in free speech but…” is an oxymoron.

• NepotismIsDomesticTerrorism

Event just proves that good nannies, butlers, and manservants remain hard to come by in these troubled times of excessive taxation and regulation on small bidness job creators.

• Mongoose

Huh?

• Maniate

Two things, the first is that these upper class kids didn’t have quality nannies and butlers to raise them correctly, as they would have in the past. The second is that the burden of taxation is skipping over the wealthy and falling upon those who employ fewer amounts of people.
        The first is pretty funny, I can’t speak to the second, though the wealthy appear to be adept at pulling themselves out of tax burdens.

• NepotismIsDomesticTerrorism

Who the bleep do you think taught the young Eli in this tale their methods of behavior?
        Hint: Wasn’t Dad and Mom.
        Behavior maintenance is the purview of the nannies, butlers, and manservants who accompany their young products to Yale.
        Why, I know a Yalie, Class of ’55, who still can’t tie his shoes, balance the offshore checkbooks, or order a proper tailored suit. Such used to be standard requirements for all Eli.
        On the bright side, both his children and grandchildren have made it into Yale on the Legacy Express. Do not pass Go. Do collect your monthly trust fund allotment through the usual couriers, of course.

• Mongoose

People are so thin skinned these days that you can see all the blood vessels and muscles showing through. They are so narrow minded that their path to understanding the world around them no longer seems wide enough for people from different backgrounds and with different points of view to walk together side by side, hand in hand. What a pity.

• Kazimierz Bem

I love the idea that spitting on people you disagree with is an OK. Also, if anyone though about the comment by the speaker – it was clear he was NOT denigrating the genocide of Indians. He just said that Yale students’ reactions are out of proportion. Which the article completely confirms.

Speaking logic to thin emotions is fruitless. They only care about discrediting and humiliating others. Their actual agenda takes a back seat the moment they see an opening to degrade or spit on someone.

• http://banterloud.com/ armenia4ever

” “We believe in free speech but…” not for people we disagree with.

The distinct line mentioned seems to be any dissent and disagreement at all, regardless of how polite.

Sincerely, someone whose ancestors still haven’t had their genocide recognized by the US.

• Ken Joseph

“Yale Native American Arts Council President Emily Van Alst ’16 said the comment mocked a cultural genocide.”

No, stop right there. The comment did not “mock cultural genocide”, it mocked the reaction to the email. It mocked the people who felt an email pointing out the obvious – that other people have rights too – was tantamount to murder.

It’s a sad day indeed when something as basic as this needs to be explained to students intelligent enough to gain entry to Yale’s hallowed halls.

• Meittimies

You think them getting to Yale had anything to do with intelligence? Money and connections tend to have a louder voice on these things.

• GoldRushApple

I’m starting to think the students at Yale aren’t nearly as smart as they, their parents and the institution’s administration believe to be. It just feels Yale’s a poser of enlightenment and brilliance. The vibe is of regression.

• Dom Deluge

what an embarrassing bunch of petulant privileged kids

• Dom Deluge

spitting on attendees for what someone said makes about as much sense as me spitting on the students, for attending a ‘racist’ institution. it makes no sense.

• Dom Deluge

yale, a place run by morons and Illuminati

• Bouchart

Give the young punks a whiff of grapeshot.

• NotYouNotSure

I have come across a fair share of arrogant Americans that pretend they belong to the highest aristocratic classes because they went to Yale/Harvard/MIT etc. Let me first say that you Americans are not better, in fact I have never been impressed by your intellects or your success, your universities simply exist as breeding grounds to join your corrupt system, intelligence, decency or success are not required, all that is required in university is to build contacts with those that control the levers of the regime.

• Marina Doshkevich

If you aren’t American, then non of this has anything to do with you, and your opinion is completely unimportant. Unless you are here by the grace of our absurd immigration system that allows people like you to enter.

• ShlomoShunn

You prove NotYouNotSure’s point. Your response to a different voice is to tell it/him to leave America.

Events that happen in Europe affect America, just like events in the USA concern Europe and the world-at-large. Would YOU like it if, after giving your opinion about the recent Paris bombings, you were told to STFU?

• Diws

If the protesting students cannot grasp the concept of free speech, and of respect and tolerance being a two way street, they should at least contemplate the precedent that they would set should they succeed in shouting down the ideas and meetings of the right. Censorship is after all value-neutral, and the right would have little incentive to treat them any better should the right ever become ascendant.

• ShlomoShunn

The irony is these are not kindergartners. They are university students, some seniors at Ivy League schools. Yet, somehow, they missed being educated about the Constitution.

• I-RIGHT-I

Student loans should be handed out by bankers not politicians. The kids that are really working don’t have time for this nonsense because the sciences are hard. Most of these kids could not cut a rigorous academic program even without all the distraction of the modern leftist consequently they have no business in higher education. The degrees these people are “earning” are as worthless as their ethics and credit.

• Marina Doshkevich

Complete agreement.

• Kevin_OKeeffe

Spitters, if identified, should be formally expelled, arrested on criminal assault charges, and ideally jailed.

• JT Davis

Hi, this question is for Mitchell Rose Bear Don’t Walk ’16.In the article you condemn

the spitting. you also add:
    “Our movement is founded in the idea that all
    people’s voices should be heard. We cannot maintain the integrity of
    this message whilst questioning or silencing other accounts.”

To me, it seems silencing others accounts is is exactly what you are trying to do. You are attempting to silence or create an atmosphere when controversial speech is chilled. Have you criticized the reaction to the Christakis email- the video of the student unjustly confronting Nicholas Christakis? (histrionics take 1!) The students there were demanding he resign. If you follow your statement, he should have your support unless you believe people have the right to say something, but if it happens that some branch of students may get offended they have to resign. That would be an absurd proposition and would create a terrible atmosphere for intellectual freedom. . So I’ll ask you this. In the UK there were student petitions to get noted feminist author Germaine Greer booted from making a speech at Cardiff University because of her comments about transgender people. A defender of the petition supported it because having her on campus could cause harm to transgender people. Do you support this harm principle? If you want to protest her that is fine, but I support allowing her and others with views that you may deem controversial to have the right to express themselves even if some self-perceived harm may occur by those who feel they shouldn’t be exposed to ideas that may make them feel uncomfortable. It is rather shocking how conservative the supporters of the harm principle are. They support the small town, sheltered beliefs and the Salam Witch trial comparison is apt.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/27/germaine-greer-transphobia-cardiff-feminism-inclusive

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/13/ban-germaine-greer-universities-free-speech

• squintaroony

A petition demanding a speaker not be received is speech. It isn’t usually speech I’d agree with, but it is protected speech. Demands that an administrator resign are also speech. I don’t think Christiakis should have had to resign. I don’t think universities – especially public universities – ought to be as quick as they are to capitulate to every demand, and I don’t think student demands are always reasonable or just. But to demand is merely to speak.

• JT Davis

Salem edit

• ShlomoShunn

Free speech nearly always involves “emotional voices.” It’s views that we hate that must be allowed to speak.

> ““Disagreement is not grounds for censorship, disruption or intimidation.”

Yet it’s mostly the liberal left that seeks to silence real “diversity.”

Finally, the “Native American” came for elsewhere, too: Mongolia.

• Cristi Cave

They did not come from “Mongolia.” They did come from East Asia–more than 13.000 years ago. The first point of your comment would have had merit, were it not overshadowed by the exaggeration and untruth of the second point and the unnecessary attack on the very term these people use to identify themselves. Were you trying to persuade, or just trying to offend?

• squintaroony

“The spitting happened,” she told the News Sunday
    night. “Our movement is founded in the idea that all people’s voices
    should be heard. We cannot maintain the integrity of this message whilst
    questioning or silencing other accounts.”

Nice to hear it.

“Everyone should have the right to free speech,” she
    said, but there is a distinct line between free speech and hateful,
    hurtful, racist speech which results in violence.

The fighting words doctrine is interpreted overbroadly by many activists.

• Casual Observer

Harvard Law professor Randall Kennedy’s op ed in the NY Times, Black Tape at Harvard Law, perfectly captures the importance and problems of the movements across the country. He is the adult in the room. Faith in higher education restored. Check it out. He points out that discussion of real issues is a good thing and that over-reach and hyperbole are not, and facts matter. I recommend you all read the whole piece.

A few quotes:

“While some of these complaints have a ring of validity, several are dubious. A decision by a professor to focus on a seemingly dry, technical issue rather than a more accessible, volatile subject involving race might well reflect a justifiable pedagogical strategy. Opposition to racial affirmative action can stem from a wide range of sources other than prejudice. Racism and its kindred pathologies are already big foes; there is no sustained payoff in exaggerating their presence, thus making them more formidable than they actually are.

Disturbing, too, is a related tendency to indulge in self-diminishment by displaying an excessive vulnerability to perceived and actual slights and insults. Some activists seem to have learned that invoking the rhetoric of trauma is an effective way of hooking into the consciences of solicitous authorities. Perhaps it is useful for purposes of eliciting certain short-term gains.

In the long run, though, reformers harm themselves by nurturing an inflated sense of victimization. A colleague of mine whose portrait was taped over exhibited the right spirit when he jauntily declared that it would take far more than tape to slow him down.”

Oh and by the way, his own portrait got a strip of tape. His response? Balanced. Mature.

“I saw the taped photos, including my own, right before class. Since then I have been asked repeatedly how I feel about having been targeted by what some deem to be a racial hate crime. Questioners often seem to assume that I should feel deeply alarmed and hurt. I don’t.

The identity and motives of the person or people behind the taping have not
    been determined. Perhaps the defacer is part of the law school community. But maybe not. Perhaps the defacer is white. But maybe not. Perhaps the taping is meant to convey anti-black contempt or hatred for the African-American professors. But maybe it was meant to protest the perceived marginalization of black professors, or was a hoax meant to look like a racial insult in order to provoke a crisis, or was a rebuke to those who have recently been taping over the law school’s seal, which memorializes a family of slaveholders from colonial times. Some observers, bristling with certainty, insist that the message conveyed by
    the taping of the photographs is obvious. To me it is puzzling.”

If he was at Yale, merely questioning the Black Autumn narrative, I imagine he could be spat upon and called a traitor, and certainly screamed at to resign, with some expletives thrown in for emphasis.