Close to home. Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins’ latest email went out a little past midnight Tuesday, alerting campus to a robbery that took place at the York Street-Chapel Street intersection. Neither of the victims, both undergraduates, reported injuries, but still: That Google Maps location was far too recognizable.

It’s actually happening. If the construction alongside Prospect Avenue isn’t enough proof that the new residential colleges are moving along, mockups of potential college crests have made rounds both on campus and online. NewYaleColleges.com went live recently, featuring profiles of namesake candidates — including regulars like Bouchet, Hopper and Cloud — and renderings of the shields that might one day line their halls.

He got to say “Hi.” EGOT-winner Bobby Lopez ’97, who wrote the scores for “Avenue Q,” “The Book of Mormon” and “Frozen,” visited Yale yesterday, joining the Spizzwinks(?) for dinner at Yorkside. Not that it bothered him anyway, but good thing the cold weather’s gone now.

He noticed. Emails from University President Peter Salovey are (sort of) more light-hearted than the ones Yalies get from Higgins, and Monday’s was particularly upbeat due to the arrival of springtime. Encouraging students to step outside to soak it all in, Salovey wrote vividly on the idea of renewal.

Expanded online presence. A Monday post on YaleNews announced new Google Custom Search systems in the University’s website. Welcome to the 21st century, Yale.

Yale Tech? Harvard State? Following up on United States President Barack Obama’s proposal to create a free community college system nationwide, The Washington Post published “Are Harvard, Yale, and Stanford really public universities?” yesterday. The piece’s writer called for a tax on universities with large endowments to perhaps help fund Obama’s plan.

Kid cannabis. According to a story by CBSNewYork, Connecticut lawmakers are considering legislation that would eliminate the age restriction on access to medical marijuana.

Found a way. After initially being cut from the roster, Ryan Lavarnway ’09 suited up for the first Opening Day of his career, as the Eli’s Baltimore Orioles topped the Tampa Bay Rays by a score of 6-2.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1965 Three professors accept visiting faculty positions in the Romance Languages Department.
Follow along for the News’ latest. Twitter | @yaledailynews

THE YALE DAILY NEWS