Though headlines about a historic snowstorm and canceled classes would normally dominate conversations on campus, other, more somber stories came to take their place. Here, we revisit the week’s top articles — from our own pages and beyond.

Top Stories

Wang ’17 remembered as brilliant, selfless As news spread of the death of Luchang Wang ’17 Tuesday evening, classmates, friends and mentors remembered a young woman whose intellect was matched only by her compassion, whose care for her academic work ran as deep as her concern for the injustices she observed in the world around her. Wang died in an apparent suicide on Tuesday.

Student death raises questions on withdrawal policies Luchang Wang’s 17 friend added that Yale’s policies regarding withdrawal and readmission prevented Wang from seeking appropriate and necessary treatment.  “She was routinely lying to her therapist,” the friend said. “It was very common for her to express suicidal ideations and then she immediately followed that up, explaining that if we reported her she would be kicked out of Yale and have no reason left not to kill herself.”

After thwarted theft attempt in Trumbull, YPD arrests intruder The suspect had entered the suite of Nicholas Goel ’16 and Ian Gonzalez ’16, a former copy editor for the News. Goel said he was sitting in his common room Saturday afternoon when a man he had never before seen entered his bedroom. He and his suitemate confronted the man. The intruder said he was looking for a friend and then immediately walked out. “We yelled at him, and I think it scared him off,” Goel said. “He left mumbling, pretty flustered and pretending to be on the phone.”

Juno shifts east, leaving only a foot “We wanted to ensure that we were prepared for 36 inches of snow. It was easier to ramp up than to scale back.”  

From around the Ivies

Dartmouth will adopt a hard alcohol ban In a Thursday morning speech outlining a new social doctrine for Dartmouth, College President Phil Hanlon announced a campus-wide ban on hard alcohol — beverages containing more than 15 percent alcohol by volume — to be enforced the beginning of spring term and the mandatory presence of third-party bartenders and bouncers at parties hosted by Dartmouth or College-recognized organizations. Hanlon also reaffirmed the continuation of the Greek system, but said that its existence could be revisited in the coming years.

Karvonides Responds to Law School’s Departure from Central Title IX Procedures University Title IX Officer Mia Karvonides led the group that created Harvard’s new approach for approaching sexaul assault complaints, which in July established a standardized set of procedures under which a centralized office would investigate complaints of alleged sexual harassment against students across the entire University. That office, the Office for Sexual and Gender-Based Dispute Resolution, makes a determination of guilt while individual schools handle discipline.

From around the web

What Can a Pregnant Photojournalist Cover? Everything My friends and family sometimes ask why photojournalists don’t just take fewer assignments to preserve their relationships and their safety, why they don’t simply work in some sunny studio adjacent to home. The truth is, the difference between a studio photographer and a photojournalist is the same as the difference between a political cartoonist and an abstract painter; the only thing the two have in common is the blank page. The jobs entail different talents and different desires. Leaving at the last minute, jumping on planes, feeling a responsibility to cover wars and famines and human rights crises was my job. To stop doing those things would be like firing myself.

THE YALE DAILY NEWS