Yale Athletics

The Bulldogs (0–4–1, 0–0–0) looked to bounce back after their loss to Denver over the weekend during their game against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (5–8–3, 3–4–1) on Tuesday night. Rutgers came out swinging to open the first half, outshooting Yale 8–2. Yet goalie Chris Edwards ’25 made five heroic saves to keep the game scoreless. But he did not do it alone. 

“There were a lot of guys throwing their bodies around, putting their bodies on the line for the team,” Edwards told the News. 

Both teams remained scoreless until well into the second half. 

In the game’s 60th minute, defender Nick Miller ’27 launched a beautiful ball on the near side of the field to forward Joseph Farouz ’27, who rocketed the ball over Rutgers goalkeeper Ciaran Dalton’s head to put the Elis up 1–0. 

“I’m always hunting. I’m always hungry,” Farouz said when describing his mentality on scoring. “I would talk to Nick Miller before the game [and say]: ‘We’re gonna get one. Keep your head up,’” he added. 

After the slow first half, Farouz’s goal gave the Bulldogs momentum. When asked about what changed in the second half, midfielder Quanah Brayboy ’25 said, “I think we’ve been trying to take the game in 15-minute increments and just take a slow focus on the next play. [We] remain positive and [don’t get] discouraged whenever we’re struggling.” 

Despite the newfound momentum, Yale could not hold onto their lead. Bryne FK prospect Ola Maeland tapped in a saved shot in the 82nd minute, tying up the game for Rutgers. 

Though this is not the result they hoped for, the team is proud of their performance.  

“Iron sharpens iron. And so some things that you might get away with versus lesser opponents you don’t. You can’t get away with [it]. So it reveals holes in your system quickly and kind of harshly as well,” added Edwards.  

The Bulldogs have their second-to-last non-conference game before Ivy League play on Saturday against the Sacred Heart Pioneers (5–1–0, 0–0–0) at Reese Stadium. 

PETER BURNS