Ellie Park, Photography Editor

A winter storm is hitting New Haven Tuesday, with forecasts from early in the week predicting more snowfall from this storm than any of the previous snowstorms this winter. 

On Monday afternoon, Jim Connolly, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, told the News that the National Weather Service was expecting eight to 10 inches of snow to fall in New Haven on Tuesday. 

According to Connolly, the National Weather Service uses American, European and Canadian data models to make its predictions. As the storm approaches, they have been able to use weather balloons, radar and satellites to make a more specific forecast. 

“Be kind to your neighbors. Look out for one another. Take a moment to shovel your neighbor’s sidewalk if you’re able to do so as well,” Mayor Justin Elicker said in a briefing on Monday afternoon. “We need a lot more kindness in this world, and this is an opportunity with the storm.”

During the briefing, Elicker and other city officials spoke about the city’s winter storm preparations. According to Elicker, a city-wide parking ban will be instated at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday, and all Avelo flights in and out of Tweed New Haven Airport have been delayed by at least one day. 

New Haven Public Schools Superintendent Madeline Negrón also announced that all New Haven public schools and programs will be closed for the snow day but reminded families that children can still learn on their day off. 

“We just have to be closed tomorrow, but that doesn’t mean that learning has to stop,” Negrón said. “Find at least 20 minutes to pick up a book and read.”

In the briefing, Elicker assured listeners that the city is well prepared for the amount of snow that is expected to fall. According to Elicker, 33 trucks will be dispatched to clear the city — a typical amount for a storm of this size. 

City officials also reminded the public that the emergency operation center will be open tomorrow beginning at 6 a.m., and they encouraged the public to call the police department’s non-emergency number if they needed to discuss any issues. 

Elicker also encouraged New Haven residents to be patient and understanding with the snow plowing tomorrow as the trucks work to clear the entire city. It is possible that snow will be falling at a rate of one to three inches per hour on Tuesday morning, and snow may get plowed into residential driveways and sidewalks as the team works to clear narrow roads. 

Elicker concluded his briefing by thanking everyone who will be working Tuesday to keep New Haven residents safe. He credited Parks and Public Works, the fire department and the police department. 

While the range of forecasted snowfall in New Haven on Tuesday remained consistent throughout the day Monday, it fluctuated in other nearby areas. 

“North and West of New York City, we are drastically reducing the range,” Connolly said. “South of New Haven, in the Long Island Sound area, we were drastically increasing the forecast.”

The most snow ever recorded to fall in one day in New Haven was 24 inches on Feb. 20, 1934.

LILY BELLE POLING
Lily Belle Poling covers climate and the environment. Originally from Montgomery, Alabama, she is a first year in Branford College majoring in Global Affairs and English.