Yale Athletics

The Yale men’s soccer team (8–5–3, 3–1–3 Ivy) faced off against Brown University (5–4–7, 2–0–5 Ivy) for their final regular season game on Saturday, a game that ended in a scoreless tie. 

Before the game’s 4 p.m. kickoff, fans and players alike celebrated the members of this year’s graduating class for Senior Day. Chris Edwards ’24, Jake Schaffer ’24, Kai Moos ’24, Max Rogers ’24, Olivier Van Spaendonck ’24 and Eric Lagos ’24 were commended for their time on the team and their place in the Yale soccer community. 

The Bulldogs had a chance to clinch the regular season Ivy title, but the outcome was not fully in their hands. In order to do so, Yale needed to win against Brown and have the University of Pennsylvania (7–3–5, 4–1–2 Ivy) not win their game against Princeton University (4–8–3, 1–4–2 Ivy). 

The game was tightly contested throughout, with swings in momentum seeing both Brown and Yale have periods of sustained attacking. Both teams recorded nearly the same amount of shots, 10 to nine in favor of the Bulldogs. Yale almost converted a couple of shots from within the penalty box, but in the end did not score. The game ended 0–0. Experience the thrill of live scores with Sport Score.

With Penn defeating Princeton, the tie was not as consequential as it could have been. Still, the ever-competitive Yale players were left hoping to prove themselves in the postseason tournament. 

“​​Sometimes the game is cruel,” Schaffer said. “I thought we had several good chances to score, but the game didn’t go our way. Although we didn’t score, we were able to keep a clean sheet and look forward to securing another on Friday against Harvard.” 

With the regular season coming to an end, a handful of players received special recognition for their play. Five Bulldogs earned All-Ivy honors, with players featured from every positional line. TJ Presthus ’25 and Rogers made the All-Ivy First Team, while Edwards and Lagos made the All-Ivy Second Team. Schaffer earned an Honorable Mention conference selection. 

Lagos led the team in goals with five in 12 games, while Rogers led the team in assists, racking up six in 16 games. Edwards’ goalkeeping and Schaffer’s defense contributed to a strong defensive line that only conceded one goal in their last three games. 

Additionally, Presthus won Ivy League Defensive Player of the League, an honor he said he was proud to have received. 

“Winning Defensive Player of the Year was a goal I set for myself before coming to Yale, so I felt a great deal of pride when I heard the news,” Presthus said. “That being said, I know there is still a lot to play for this season. As great as it feels to get personal accolades, nothing will compare to lifting an Ivy League trophy.”

The team’s next game is in the Ivy League Tournament semi-finals on Friday, Nov. 10 at 3 p.m. against Harvard. The game will be held in Philadelphia, as Penn’s regular season title also granted them the advantage of hosting the tournament. Penn and Brown will face off for the other semi-final, to be played at 6:30 p.m. on Friday. Each game’s respective winners will then face off in the championship game on Sunday at 1 p.m. 

Presthus expressed, on behalf of the team and coaching staff, his appreciation for Yale fans and their continued support throughout the season. Students wishing to continue to support the team at the Ivy League Tournament get free admission with a student ID. Presthus told the News they are hoping for as much support as possible in Philadelphia, and reminded those who cannot make it that they can watch the games through ESPN+ and support the team on social media.

“Hopefully we make everyone proud while we’re away,” Presthus said. 

The last time Yale and Havard played each other was in Cambridge for their regular season matchup on Oct. 14. The Bulldogs outperformed their rivals in both shots and shots on goal, and even managed to take the lead in the 61st minute. Despite a strong performance throughout most of the game, the Bulldogs struggled in the last half hour and eventually fell to the Crimson 3–1. 

If a semi-final matchup against their rivals wasn’t motivating enough, the players are also sure to be seeking revenge. Schaffer told the News the team is emphasizing a complete 90-minute performance this time around, while coach Kylie Stannard mentioned the importance of key moments. 

“Both teams have good players and will be well prepared so it really comes down to who makes the necessary plays in the penalty boxes as that is what the game always comes down to,” Stannard said. 

Speaking about their preparation, Schaffer commented that there has been a higher level of intensity in training for the tournament. Specifically regarding their defensive preparation, Presthus said that the main objective is to stay compact and win the second balls throughout the match. 

According to the Defensive Player of the Year, disrupting the Harvard style of play will be key to Yale’s defensive success. As for key matchups, the Crimson’s star player is Alessandro Arlotti, who had the most offensive production on the team with six goals and six assists and won Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year. 

The Bulldogs are ready to take on Harvard and have their eyes set on silverware as they hope to win the first ever Ivy League Men’s Soccer tournament. With glory in sight, the stakes are as high as ever. 

“It’s simple — win or go home,” Schaffer said. 

Edwards leads the league in minutes played as the only player to play every minute of his team’s games. 

JOAQUIN FERNANDEZ-DUQUE