Courtesy of The Collective NHV

Old Campus became a hotspot of music, dance and yummy eats this past Saturday, Aug. 26, as Bulldog Bash returned for its fourth year. 

Kicking off at 8:30 p.m., the free back-to-school music festival had an impressive turnout. As the night progressed, students became immersed in a backdrop of lively music and cheerful conversation. 

The Bulldog Bash … now in its fourth year, celebrates a cross-section of music styles that often share commonalities in their expression,” said Rachel Fine, who serves as the executive director of the Yale Schwarzman Center.

The Schwarzman Center and Yale Hospitality collaborated with the Yale College Dean’s Office to host the event and prepare its musical lineup.

Jennifer Harrison Newman MFA ’11, the Schwarzman Center’s associate artistic director, praised the featured bands’ artistry. She added that she thought the bands — Sol and The Tribu, Red Baraat and Tank and the Bangas — each brought a high level of musicianship and artistry. Musical styles including ska, punk and bhangra permeated Old Campus.

“I’m not that much of a party person, but since it was right outside the dorm, I visited for a bit and found it actually pretty enjoyable,” Timothy Lee ’27 said. “I think Bulldog Bash was a good way to invite a good sense of community amongst first years. There were so many gathered in one place and we all share[d] a common experience.” 

Yale Hospitality complemented the musical lineup with a wide menu of food options intended to accommodate various dietary preferences and restrictions. Guests were treated to New Orleans-inspired dishes like muffuletta, red beans and rice, satsuma mandarin salad and New Orleans-style pralines.

Evan Branham ’24 also shared his night’s experience with the News. 

“The food was amazing!” Branham said. “The bands were all great, especially the last one [Tank and the Bangas], which was from New Orleans and had some real funky music.” 

Tank and the Bangas was nominated in the Best New Artist category for the 2020 Grammy Awards.

Although Branham said he greatly enjoyed the Bash, he told the News that he could feel an absence of upperclassmen. 

This year’s Bulldog Bash was held just one day after on-campus residences opened to upperclassmen.

“The music was hype — honestly, my favorite part,” Nick He ’25 said. “It was almost like an EDM dance floor.”

Despite a reported absence of upperclassmen, He shared that he felt the Bash was “a good way to connect with other students” and commended Yale for its impressive planning — particularly the “breathing space” embedded into the event’s physical layout. 

The festival ended before the stroke of midnight.

LUKAS NEL
Lukas Nel covers Art Student Life for the Arts Desk. Originally from Stellenbosch in the Republic of South Africa, he is a second semester junior in Davenport College studying EECS and Mathematics, who is passionate about art in all its forms.