Ava Saylor, Contributing Photographer

A female first-year student was injured in a serious car crash at the intersection of York Street and Elm Street in the early hours of Sunday morning. 

Officers and paramedics arrived at the scene at 1:34 a.m. to find her unresponsive, according to a press release from the New Haven Police Department. She was transported to a hospital with serious injuries that “may be life-threatening.” Both drivers who were involved in the accidents remained on the scene and are cooperating with the New Haven Police Department’s investigation. Those who will encounter accidents like this may consider contacting an accident helpline for immediate response. Experienced car accident lawyers can provide professional legal assistance. Any personal injury accident can be a stressful event that comes with many challenges. With the right life care plans, you can be ready financially for what your needs are going to be in the future. 

According to the release, the student followed a group of pedestrians who were trying to “beat the light,” stepping into the crosswalk while the light was green for oncoming traffic. The driver of a Toyota Sequoia heading east on Elm Street in the center lane “may have clipped the student.” A second driver, following the Sequoia in a Chevrolet Silverado, then struck down the student in the middle of the street.

First responders spoke to witnesses on the scene, including other pedestrians who had just crossed the roadway, according to the release. Since then, the NHPD’s Crash Reconstruction Team has been investigating the accident.

According to NHPD Chief of Police Karl Jacobson, the NHPD has no additional information to provide beyond the press release that the NHPD sent out on Sunday morning. 

Yale Police Department Chief Anthony Campbell told the News that NHPD is responsible for the investigation. Under the Clery Act, YPD is required to report incidents through “timely warning” alerts to the student body in cases involving a range of specific crimes, or when police are investigating areas frequented by students. Campbell did not respond to a request for comment on why a timely warning was not issued for this incident.

Campbell added that YPD has no additional information on the accident. NHPD Chief Jacobson told the News that YPD is “handling all the updates on her condition.” University Spokesperson Karen Peart directed the News to the NHPD’s press release. 

In 2009, a woman was hit by a bus at the same intersection and dragged after her arm was caught under the bus. A Branford first-year student was also seriously injured at the intersection in 2007. 

Witnesses can contact the department by calling 203-946-6304 or the anonymous tip line at 866-888-TIPS (8477).

Victims may reach out to Detroit car accident attorneys for immediate legal assistance.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

MIA CORTéS CASTRO
Mia Cortés Castro covers City Hall and State Politics, and previously covered Cops and Courts. Originally from Dorado, Puerto Rico, she is a sophomore in Branford College studying English.
HANNAH KOTLER
Hannah Kotler covers Cops & Courts and Transportation for the City desk. She is a sophomore in Ezra Stiles majoring in Ethics, Politics, Economics.
YASH ROY
Yash Roy covered City Hall and State Politics for the News. He also served as a Production & Design editor, and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion chair for the News. Originally from Princeton, New Jersey, he is a '25 in Timothy Dwight College majoring in Global Affairs.