Lukas Flippo, Senior Photographer

At the end of this academic year, four heads of college will step down, leaving vacancies in Pierson, Silliman, Trumbull and Benjamin Franklin residential colleges. 

The search process — which previously involved an administrator tapping faculty to the role — now consists of an open nomination process during which students and faculty may nominate faculty members or provide input on which characteristics they would like in a new head. 

Dean of Yale College Pericles Lewis told the News that he has received a large number of nominations and has a “strong pool” of nominees — only some of whom were interested in the role. Interested faculty were then asked to submit a letter of intent. 

“​​I think the risk with a tapping system is that the dean – or the president or whoever —  just identifies the people who happen to be known to the committee,” Lewis told the News. “This way, by calling widely for people to be interested, we found out if they are interested before the process starts.” 

Lewis compared the previous selection process to secret society tap. The new system, he explained, aims to be more fair and transparent, especially for faculty who may want to take on the role of Head. 

The process is led by Lewis along with four committees consisting of faculty and students associated with each of the four residential colleges. The deans and heads of each college recommended potential committee members.

“The committee is looking for a person who will make student welfare and college climate a priority, working both within existing structures of college and University, and bringing new ideas to the role,” Christina Kraus, chair of the Trumbull committee and professor of Latin, wrote to the News. 

Shawkat Toorawa, chair of the committee for Pierson and professor of Arabic literature, told the News that nine candidates nominated themselves, adding that Pierson was looking for candidates dedicated to residential college life and students. 

This year, a head of college position description was sent out to members of each of the four residential colleges with vacancies. According to Toorawa, this is a relatively new development in the appointment process and part of making that process more “intentional.” 

“[The Head]  is someone who can help build, foster and sustain community — diverse community — and highlight both the intellectual experience of students at Yale but also their residential experience,” Toorawa said. 

The statements of intent are currently being reviewed by each of the four committees. While Lewis said the committee could provide further nominations, most of the strongest candidates have already been nominated. 

Lewis also explained that candidates are often not nominated for a particular college and do not need to be affiliated with the college to be considered for the role of Head. However, he said certain colleges may be looking for certain characteristics, so the committees help provide a sense of what each college is looking for. 

“In the end, it’s like a logic game, where I’ll have so many candidates and four openings and trying to figure out who’s going to fit in where, based on the feedback from the committees,” Lewis told the News. 

Reflecting on the number of vacancies, Lewis said this amount of turnover is not abnormal, but may be a result of heads “holding on” through the COVID-19 pandemic which he said made the job more difficult. 

However, Lewis pointed out that two of the vacancies, the Heads of Pierson and Trumbull, Stephen Davis and Margaret Clark respectively, have both served ten-year terms which is typically the maximum tenure for the role. 

Once the committees narrow down the list of current nominees who are interested, Lewis said he will interview the finalists, and announcements for the new heads will come shortly after spring break.

Yale has 14 residential colleges. 

SARAH COOK
Sarah Cook is one of the University editors. She previously covered student policy and affairs, along with President Salovey's cabinet. From Nashville, Tennessee, she is a junior in Grace Hopper majoring in Neuroscience.