Regina Sung, Senior Photographer

For the city of New Haven, ’tis the season for a holiday-themed family photo competition to encourage its residents to stay safe from COVID-19.

The “VAXgiving: Share the Holiday Family Photo” campaign — launched by The City of New Haven and the New Haven Health Department — invites fully-vaccinated families to submit holiday-themed photos for the chance to win a cash prize. Select photos will also be featured in multimedia advertisements for the health department’s upcoming public health campaign. The initiative is a part of a broader effort by the department to improve vaccination rates in the city and promote healthy practices during the winter months. 

“The VAXgiving campaign encourages people to understand the importance of being fully vaccinated going into the holiday season with both the COVID-19 vaccine and the flu vaccine,” wrote New Haven Health Director Maritza Bond in an email to the News. “New Haven families who are fully vaccinated are encouraged to submit their favorite family holiday photo – whether around the dinner table or other holiday moment.” 

Bond added that the winners of the campaign will be featured in local TV commercials, billboards and social media advertisements. Each participating family also has the opportunity to win a gift card worth up to $100 to be used on holiday grocery shopping.

Families can submit up to two photos — color photos preferred. In order to be eligible to participate in the campaign, Bond explained, every family member pictured must be fully vaccinated. 

“New Haven families, including children six months and older, can get fully vaccinated against COVID-19, its variants, and the flu for free at our walk-in clinics as well as at their local pharmacies or healthcare provider,” New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said in a press release. “Together, let’s make the holidays picture perfect.” 

Bond explained that New Haven is currently ranked as a “medium” community risk level for COVID-19, according to the CDC. Comparatively, about 70 percent of U.S. counties are at a “low” community risk level. 

Bond added that vaccination rates in New Haven are slightly below the national average. As of Dec. 1 this year, 78.5 percent of New Haven residents had received their first vaccination against COVID-19, compared to 80.5 percent nationally. 

In addition to COVID-19, the holiday season also facilitates the spread of the flu virus, Bond explained. 

“The flu is a contagious illness caused by viruses that infect the nose, throat, and sometimes the lungs,” Bond wrote. “People over the age of 65, young children, and those with certain health conditions are more likely to get very sick from the flu. This year’s flu season is already much worse than we’ve seen in the past few years and the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is by getting vaccinated.” 

Len Speiller, communications director for the city, told the News that this week is National Influenza Vaccination Week. Flu and COVID-19 vaccines are available to anyone six months or older. 

According to Bond, residents can get COVID-19 and flu vaccines at the New Haven Health Department from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, and until 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays. No appointment is required.

“Getting vaccinated and receiving your booster is the best defense against COVID-19,” Bond wrote. “Combine that with an annual flu shot and the holidays will be brighter and healthier for everyone.” 

The New Haven Health Department is located at 54 Meadow St. 

MOLLY REINMANN
Molly Reinmann covers Admissions, Financial Aid & Alumni for the News. Originally from Westchester, New York, she is a sophomore in Berkeley College majoring in American Studies.