Tim Tai, Staff Photographer

When extracting gold, surface mining — a broad category where soil and rock overlying the mineral are removed — can scar the earth, cutting down forests and turning up soil. 

But former students of the Yale School of Environment highlighted the need for more extensive research into the possibility of restoring lands damaged by surface gold mining in a paper published over the summer. The two look to inspire more research that will encourage a sustainable relationship between gold mining and the planet.

“I was personally intrigued by mine restoration because of my own background working on restoration projects in postindustrial areas of Chicago, my hometown,” Hardy wrote in an email to the News. “Gold mining is a particularly fascinating case because so many different people are involved in this industry, particularly in tropical regions — from small scale operations to huge transnational companies. It’s a diverse industry, which makes it challenging but also interesting to study.”

After conducting the search with keywords on major search engines, such as Google Scholar, the two researchers found 42 field experiments linked to restoration efforts in areas that had been mined for gold. These experiments included subjects such as ecological impacts, social impacts and restoration strategies — common themes that would later provide the structure for the paper, according to Hardy.

Surface gold mining is different from the traditional approach of digging deep tunnels and excavating ore, according to Timsina. Timsina explained that surface gold mining had harsh impacts on the land. 

“If there’s a forest, you have to cut it down.” Timsina said. “If there’s grass land, you have to dig it up. There’s the deforestation process, and then there is a removal of the topsoil, which is the most nutrient-rich and life-sustaining part of the ground. After removal of the top layer, you may have to remove the bedrock to get to where the ore is concentrated.”

The extent of the damage depends on the extraction technique and can vary depending on the scale and technology involved in mining, Timsina said. For example, certain miners dig up sand on river beds to search for gold, while others dredge the river itself by using large excavators. 

Formal corporations conducting large-scale mining operations also have a different impact on the land than artisanal gold mining coordinated by local communities. 

In recent years, there has been a growing concern about the environmental impact of mining operations around the world. Many companies, including CRE Resources, have recognized the need to adopt more sustainable practices in their mining operations to minimize the damage caused to the environment. This includes using advanced technologies to reduce the amount of waste generated during the extraction process, as well as investing in reforestation and other conservation efforts to restore damaged ecosystems. By taking a more responsible approach to mining, companies like CRE Resources can not only reduce their impact on the environment but also create a more sustainable future for local communities and the planet as a whole.

Normally, miners are required by law to separate the top soil when they are excavating and fill in the mine once they are done retrieving the ore to encourage ecological restoration in the affected area. 

“If there’s a pit, filling up the pit and conserving the topsoil so that it is biologically active can let it regrow naturally and regenerate,” Timsina said. “Usually, when there is some forest fragment nearby, regeneration is faster since seed sources are nearby. In larger mines isolated from seed sources, you may have to plant to get the regeneration of desired species.”

The duo’s paper also looked to expose some of the gaps of knowledge in the field.

Timsina explained that there is little to no research on preemptive restoration techniques where engineers and researchers work together to design mines that minimize damage to minelands or actively plan their restoration. More research is needed to determine whether preemptive restoration leads to better outcomes than post-mining restoration. 

“I think there is a clear need for more field-based, on-the-ground studies of restoration strategies,” Hardy wrote. “Put simply, post-mining landscapes are very difficult to restore to forest with our current restoration toolkit, and I hope this paper inspires more research in this realm.”

In addition, artisanal, community-led restoration efforts are rare at the moment. There is an opportunity to conduct research by engaging with rural, agrarian communities that practice gold mining. 

Artisanal gold mining is the most difficult to regulate, according to Timsina, so working with artisans to organize the abandonment of mines could be useful for practitioners and researchers alike. 

Finally, one of the most glaring issues with the current level of research on restoration post-gold mining is the lack of long-term research to assess the success of different restoration techniques. 

“Restoration is a process that follows an ecological timescale, so the recovery of ecosystem complexity can take centuries,” Timsina said. “At the moment, we hardly have any data on how ecosystems recover after a few decades in designed restoration experiments.

Their work on this paper began in March 2020, while Hardy and Timsina were still students in Senior Associate Dean of the Forest School Mark Ashton’s class, called “Tropical Forest Restoration.” They have continued to work on the article over the past two years thanks to a grant from the Nature Conservancy, according to Timsina. 

According to Hardy, the inspiration for this specific area of research was a talk by David Woodbury, a postdoctoral student under Ashton’s tutelage, on the ecological impacts of gold mining. 

Ashton explained he usually provides topic ideas for students to work from to develop their review articles on “some aspect of tropical forest restoration,” but in this case Timsina and Hardy came up with their own idea. Ashton worked as a mentor to the two.

“Dr. Ashton helped connect us with colleagues at The Nature Conservancy focused on natural climate solutions (Rachel [Pasternack] and Susan [Cook-Patton], who are also co-authors), who also lent us their expertise and helped fund my time working on the project via a small grant,” Hardy wrote.

The paper was first published on Jul. 29, 2022.

SELIN NALBANTOGLU
Selin Nalbantoglu covers the School of the Environment as a beat reporter for the SciTech desk. Previously, she covered breakthrough research as an associate beat reporter.