Sophie Sonnenfeld, Contributing Photographer

Police are investigating a shooting that occurred just outside Yale New Haven Hospital on Monday night. 

The University’s alert system notified the Yale community that a person was shot in the area of South Frontage and York Street. According to the police notification, authorities have halted traffic on both streets for the time being. The Yale Police Department is encouraging people to avoid the area as they launch their investigation. 

As of 10:58 p.m. roughly 15 officers were on the scene taping off the intersection and conducting a flashlight search of the area. An officer responding to the shooting told the News he estimated the streets would be shut off for at least a few more hours. 

“Details obviously will follow: shots being fired is never good news. But a busy intersection at one of the largest employers in the region, scary,” professor of radiology and biomedical imaging Howard Forman tweeted minutes after the alert was sent to the community. 

The intersection has been the site of multiple deaths in the past few years, including three Yale affiliates killed in traffic-related deaths in the past 15 years. 

In a Facebook live video from the scene, On Scene Media’s Kevin Morse reported that a gunshot wound victim was found inside a car which was left abandoned at the intersection. He said the victim was transported around the corner to the hospital. His video shows a swarm of New Haven Police cars mobbing the intersection and blocking off the roads. 

Morse reported the victim was driving an Acura that had been pulled off to the side of the street. 

Morse added in a second live video at 11 p.m. that the police’s flashlight search revealed several shell casings scattered along South Frontage Road. 

“There’s a ton of cameras over here so hopefully they caught something,” Morse said in the live video. 

The condition of the victim is currently unknown. 

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Update, April 12:

In a press release Tuesday morning, New Haven Police identified the victim as ​​23-year-old Jorge Delgado of Waterbury. 

NHPD confirmed that Delgado was shot inside a vehicle on South Frontage Road and that he died after being transported to YNHH. NHPD received a call that Delgado was shot at 9:36 p.m.

The Bureau of Identification collected ballistic evidence Monday night as Major Crimes Unit detectives now take over to investigate the case. 

Delgado’s death marks the city’s third homicide so far this year. 

According to a Hamden police report in 2019, Delgado was pulled over with guns and a credit card reproduction device in his car. He was arrested and held on a $10,000 bond for those charges. 

Police ask that any witnesses who have not yet spoken with the Police contact the New Haven Police Department Investigative Services Division at 203-946-6304. Callers may remain anonymous or submit tips anonymously by calling 1-866-888-TIPS(8477), or text “NHPD plus your message” to 274637 (CRIMES).

Correction, April 12: The News previously reported the shooting occurred at 10:03 p.m. but NHPD’s latest report indicates the shooting occurred closer to 9:30 p.m. Monday night.

SOPHIE SONNENFELD
Sophie Sonnenfeld is Managing Editor of the Yale Daily News. She previously served as City Editor and covered cops and courts as a beat reporter. She is a junior in Branford College double majoring in political science and anthropology.