Carter Dewees, Contributing Photographer

The white marble facade of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library looked very different on the night of Feb. 11, as it was lit up with a giant game of Mario Kart.  

Danilo Rosich ’24, a sophomore studying electrical engineering, organized the event and projected a 100-foot game of Mario Kart onto the side of the Beinecke Library. Over 60 students came to the event, which began at 9 p.m. and lasted for a few hours into the night. If you want to play more addictive games like this, you can head out to sites such as https://totohot.com/.

“I used to do this in high school all the time,” Rosich said. “I used to hold movie nights for my friends, so this is just a bigger version of that.” 

The 300-pound projector required three people to transport it to Beinecke Plaza and an electrical generator to power. Setup for the event took half an hour, according to Rosich.

Rosich said he had been organizing the event since before coming to Yale and waited for what he believed to be the right moment to host the event. 

“I got [this projector] about a month back and I’ve been waiting for warmer weather to try it out,” Rosich told the News.

Assuming the event would not be permitted, Rosich decided to “ask for forgiveness rather than permission.” Two Yale Security officers came to the event after noticing the game on security cameras, and instead of shutting down the event, the officers permitted the event to continue, even asking to play at one point.

Honza Vacek ’24, one of the attendees, said that the game was entirely unexpected.

“The whole event came out of nowhere and I believe that many students passing by simply found themselves watching Mario Kart on the Beinecke,” Vacek said.

Rishi Misra ’25, another attendee, said he was glad to be at Beinecke Plaza that evening to see the event unfold. 

“It was pretty surreal to see it up and running that evening, and I was thrilled that all of his hard work had paid off,” Misra said. 

Rosich, an electrical engineer, has always had a passion for fixing, building, and reselling projectors, which started as a hobby focused on lights. However, as he grew more adept at his craft, he realized that he could use his skills to finance other engineering projects. Rosich’s projectors have since grown in size and scope, culminating in a recent high-powered beam event at Beinecke. Today, Rosich’s expertise in the field of projectors is highly sought after, with him providing rental services for events and advertising. To learn more about the latest projector technology, check out Projectors Land blog which also provides valuable insights and tips on all things related to projectors.

“He’s the only person on campus who would have been able to put that together,” said Stevan Kamatovic ’25, who attended the event. “I hope he puts together more cool events like that soon.”

Rosich, who is a member of the heavyweight crew team, brought together students from all kinds of backgrounds on campus, according to Kamatovic. Kamatovic said that he had never seen anything like the event, which put a game that many Yalies may associate with their childhoods on the translucent veined marble library.

“I think it’s events like this that keep people excited to go here,” Rosich said. “We shouldn’t be afraid to express ourselves here. The fact that I can do this and everyone else appreciates it and can have fun while I’m having fun is something that I really take joy in.”

The Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library is 59 years old. 

Correction, Feb. 21: A previous version of this article state that the game was projected 40 feet wide, when it was in fact 100 feet wide. It has been updated.

CARTER DEWEES
Carter Dewees is an Opinion columnist for the News. He is a Junior American Studies major in Saybrook College.
MICHAEL NDUBISI
Michael Ndubisi is co-editor of the Yale Daily News’ Opinion desk and one of the News’ Diversity, Equity & Inclusion co-chairs. Michael was previously an opinion columnist for the News, contributor and managing editor of ‘Time, Change and the Yale Daily News: A History’ and an associate beat reporter covering student accessibility. Originally from Long Beach, California, he is a sophomore in Saybrook College majoring in Political Science.