Courtesy of May Cabahug

Timothy Charles Johnson, a longtime dining hall employee and beloved member of the Jonathan Edwards College community, died last Tuesday. He was 34 years old.

Johnson grew up in New Haven before joining the staff at Yale Hospitality, where he stayed for 15 years. He spent the last seven years in Jonathan Edwards College. Johnson was a source of joy around the Jonathan Edwards dining hall, where he manned the grill. He would conduct choruses of “Happy Birthday,” joke around with students, hand-deliver grill orders and share his music taste with every diner.

“I guess what made Tim such a presence in JE is that he made everyone feel like they belonged, which is hard to do at a place like Yale,” said Lauren Salzman ’23. “I know Yale was just one part of his life, but I hope he knows how monumental he was — and always will be — here.”

Salzman also spoke about how Johnson made “crack tea,” a fusion of lemonade, hibiscus tea and sugar, for members of the residential college who were sick.

She and other Jonathan Edwards students organized a GoFundMe in Johnson’s honor. The fundraiser, the proceeds of which will go to the Johnson family, has nearly reached its goal of $5,000.

Candlelight vigil in Jonathan Edwards College. Courtesy of Rebecca Wessel.

On the evening of Johnson’s passing, Jonathan Edwards College held a candlelight vigil in its courtyard to honor his life. Staff and students gathered to share their grief, tell stories and write cards for the Johnson family.

“It meant the world to be able to mourn together, especially for seniors and juniors who knew Tim,” said Elizabeth Hopkinson ’22, a Jonathan Edwards first-year counselor and former WKND editor for the News. “I hope the younger students who attended were able to witness the love and strength in the JE community, which Tim had such a beautiful role in creating.”

Jonathan Edwards Head of College Mark Saltzman wrote in a Sept. 14 email to members of the college that Johnson was an “energetic and gracious presence of our college.”

Yale Hospitality staff expressed their own appreciation of Johnson.

“Tim was engaging, lively, warm, amicable and extremely funny — a marvelous embodiment of everything we inspire to be in hospitality,” said Rafi Taherian, associate vice president of Yale Hospitality. “He was a generous soul, always making sure that you felt seen and appreciated.”

May Cabahug, the JE dining hall’s general manager, also recalled him fondly.

“Tim was one of the first people that welcomed me to Yale Hospitality four years ago,” she wrote in an email to the News. “I remember it was during summer session and he gave me a huge hug even though he just met me!”

Cabahug had worked with Johnson ever since.

“He will be terribly missed,” she continued.

Johnson is survived by his four children, his parents and other relatives — including siblings who also work for Yale. After a service on Saturday at St. Matthews Unison Free Will, Johnson was interred at Evergreen Cemetery.

Madison Hahamy contributed reporting.

JORDAN FITZGERALD
Jordan Fitzgerald serves as a University editor for the News. She previously edited for WKND and wrote about admissions, financial aid & alumni. She is a senior in Trumbull College majoring in American history.