Photo of Qinxuan Pan Courtesy of New Haven Police Department

Qinxuan Pan, a graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was arrested in Alabama Friday morning for the murder of Kevin Jiang ENV ’22.

Jiang was shot and killed Feb. 6, just over a week after he had proposed to his fiancee, Zion Perry GRD ’26. The New Haven Police Department named Qinxuan Pan a person of interest in Jiang’s killing on Feb. 10 and issued an arrest warrant charging Pan with murder on Feb. 26. Pan had crossed paths with Perry at MIT multiple times, and the two were photographed together at a birthday celebration in March 2020.

“We are pleased to announce this morning, the U.S. Marshals Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force, in conjunction with the U.S. Marshals Middle District of Alabama and the Montgomery Police Department, arrested Fugitive Qinxuan Pan,” the US Marshals Service said in a Friday statement.

In early April, police expanded the scope of the search internationally with a “red notice” through Interpol, the International Criminal Police Organization, which charged him with murder and second-degree larceny. 

Before his arrest, Pan was last seen in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia, on Feb. 11. He was “driving with family” at the time, according to the New York Times. 

Fox 61 first reported the story.

JULIA BROWN
Julia Brown served as University Editor on the Managing Board of 2023. Previously, she covered the University's graduate and professional schools as a staff reporter. She graduated cum laude from Yale University with a B.A. in Economics & Mathematics.
MADISON HAHAMY
Madison Hahamy is a junior from Chicago, Illinois majoring in English and in Human Rights. She previously wrote for the Yale Daily News and served as Senior Editor for The New Journal.