Sophia DeSchiffart

As we begin midterms season, you may be wondering how you can one-up the section asshole in your poli sci class. We at WKND have the solution: Listen to our podcast recommendations. You’ll learn fun facts about the carriage tax, the four humors and Taylor Swift, giving you all the information you need to rack up participation points in any class. Yes, you should be able to work Taylor Swift into your BIOL 101 discussion section. Listen on your walk to COVID-19 testing and make eye contact with that special masked stranger on the street while Sofia Franklyn tells you about the time she seduced her boyfriend in a candle-lit bathtub. Better yet, listen to an economic analysis on your East Rock run because you’re that much of a masochist. We’ve handpicked six podcasts to cover every type of student at Yale.

For the student who can’t stop talking about intro psych: “Hidden Brain”

When I can’t decide whether I should get almond or oat milk in my coffee, there’s an episode from Shankar Vedantam’s “Hidden Brain” that I think about. In “You 2.0: Decide Already!” Vedantam and Harvard professor Dan Gilbert discuss why we’re bad at making decisions. Gilbert ran a study in which photography students were told to choose one of two photos to keep. In the first group, the photo they didn’t choose would be sent to England and never seen again. In the second, the unchosen photo would remain on file and could be swapped with the chosen one at any time. Most people say they’d prefer to be in the second group. But, after the experiment, those in the first group reported being much happier. Once a decision is finalized, our brains are very good at rationalization. So you should go ahead and get the almond milk latte. Your brain will convince you it was the right choice after. – Kelly

For the film major who’s considering becoming a YouTuber: “Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain”

Although best known for her YouTube vlogs chatting and drinking iced coffee, the weekly tea that Emma Chamberlain spills on her relationships, her mental health and other influencers won’t disappoint. Emma talks candidly about her struggle finding a healthy relationship with her parents, her social withdrawal during the pandemic and her hatred for her exes. Listening to Emma’s relatable stories, my life can feel akin to that of a YouTube star; that is, until interrupted by a Canvas notification. – Jacob

For the Yalie who wishes they majored in econ: “Planet Money”

If you are at Yale, you have probably thought about majoring in economics. With only 10 percent of the student body following through, where can you get the information necessary to impress the “Incoming Summer Analyst at Goldman Sachs”? Enter Planet Money, an NPR podcast with over 1,000 episodes with punny titles: J. Screwed, Owner of a Broken Hertz, Can’t Stop GameStop. They don’t just report on economic topics, they explore them firsthand. Listen to the hosts buy 19 Christmas trees at an auction and try to sell them on the street in Brooklyn, or build a bot that trades stocks based on Trump’s tweeting habits. Also they’re on TikTok. What more could you really ask for? – Kelly

For the Yalie who’s feeling sex deprived: “Sofia with an F”

Until April 2020, I was a proud member of the Daddy Gang, the community of listeners who tuned in each Wednesday for the popular sex podcast “Call Her Daddy.” But when a public rift tore its co-hosts apart and the podcast continued as a solo venture, I was missing the hilarious stories and advice of Sofia Franklyn. Enter “Sofia with an F.” Yes, as you can tell by the name, it’s still a sex podcast. You’ll learn how Sofia gave her ex a bloody nose after tying him up with six-foot HDMI cables, and how to find a partner for a threesome — a useless skill during the pandemic, but fun to think about. But the podcast adds dimension beyond its sex-fueled predecessor by openly discussing mental health, insecurities and the LGBT community with guests from diverse backgrounds, including popular OnlyFans content creator Lena the Plug and neuroscientist and actor Dr. Mayim Bialik. – Jacob

For the premed trying to be well-rounded: “Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine”

Despite being led by a doctor, this show promises no medical advice: “Can’t you just have fun for an hour and not try to diagnose your mystery boil?” Instead, Dr. Sydnee McElroy and her journalist husband Justin investigate the strange history of things we’ve tried — and failed — to use as medicine. Dr. McElroy introduces topics ranging from chapped lips to bidets to the Presidential Fitness Test, as well as breaking research on COVID-19. Justin plays the role of an unknowing audience member, asking the weird questions you wish you could. They’re smart, casual, funny and have my loyalty forever for their episode about Malört, the alcohol secretly sold during prohibition in Chicago because it was marketed as medicine. – Kelly

For the Yalie who’s keeping up with the Kardashians for their 20th season: “Be There in Five”

It’s hard to be an expert in the ever-evolving world of pop culture, but Kate Kennedy comes close. Her podcast dives deep into the lives of celebrities and influencers, ranging from Taylor Swift to “Bachelorette” contestants, with a hint of ’90s nostalgia that makes me wish I grew up on Furbys and “Saved by the Bell.” I used to get most of my pop culture news from the Snapchat Discover page, but in recent months it’s been taken over by YouTuber drama and old Daily Mail articles. “Be There in Five” gives me what I’ve been missing. – Jacob

Jacob Cramer | jacob.cramer@yale.edu

Kelly Farley | kelly.farley@yale.edu

JACOB CRAMER
Jacob (BF '22) was a staff writer for WKND. He wrote personal narratives that dove deep into pop culture or whatever was on his mind, often with the help of influencers and local experts. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, he studied psychology and Spanish.
KELLY FARLEY