Yale Daily News

In an Aug. 30 letter to leaders of the Senate Judiciary Committee, female college classmates of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh ’87 LAW ’90 testified to the judge’s respect for women, praising his character and his support for female athletics at Yale.

But in his first year of college, Kavanaugh joined an organization notorious for disrespecting women: the campus chapter of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

A photograph that appeared in the Yale Daily News on Jan. 18, 1985, shows Kavanaugh’s fraternity brothers waving a flag woven from women’s underwear as part of a procession of DKE initiates marching across Yale’s campus. Kavanaugh does not appear in the photograph. But the portrait it paints of casual disrespect for women seems noteworthy in light of the explosive allegation by California psychology professor Christine Blasey Ford that Kavanaugh attempted to sexually assault her at a high school party almost 40 years ago.

In the 1985 photo, the DKE pledges — “fondly known as ‘buttholes,’” according to the caption — brandish a flag made of underwear and brassieres as they march outside Woodbridge Hall, Yale’s central administrative building. At the time, Bartlett Giamatti, the University’s president, was a former DKE brother himself.

Although the flag may seem shocking by today’s standards, the photograph appeared in 1985 under the tongue-in-cheek headline “DKE AT PLAY.” At the time of the escapades, Kavanaugh — who does not appear in the photo — was a sophomore, already inducted into the fraternity.

In a letter to the editor published in the News three days later, a Yale student, Rachel Eisler ’86, charged that DKE’s pledge antics “demean women.” She wrote that she approached one of the pledges carrying the flag to ask whether any briefs or jockstraps were affixed to the pole. “Well, I didn’t make it,” the pledge responded, according to the letter. He then said he doubted that any “guys’ stuff” would be woven into the flag.

“‘But hey,’” he told the female student, according to the letter. “‘Your panties might be here!”

Steve Gallo ’88, a member of DKE’s 1985 pledge class, said on Wednesday that the flag “was just somebody’s stupid idea” and that the underwear was “obtained consensually.”

During the fraternity’s “pledge week,” he recalled, the frat’s upperclassmen would send the new recruits out “for fun to talk to Yale women on their behalf.” Occasionally, he said, DKE brothers would send new recruits on “scavenger hunts” to find specific objects on campus.

“Pledges might ask for help from women they knew — or maybe the guy who sent them knew — to complete an item on the list,” Gallo said. “I am almost certain that is where any women’s undergarments would have come from … women people knew donating them willingly to play along.”

But in a comment on a post in the YaleWomen Facebook page, Jennifer Lew ’87, a classmate of Kavanaugh’s, recalled that DKE brothers would ransack women’s rooms while they were in class to collect undergarments. Another alumnus, Julie Klein ’87, described DKE as an “animal house.”

In addition to DKE, Kavanaugh also belonged to Truth and Courage, one of Yale’s secret societies for seniors. Among some students, the all-male club, which was popular with athletes, was known by the nickname “Tit and Clit.”

Truth and Courage fizzled out of existence in the early 2010s. But since Kavanaugh’s graduation in 1987, DKE’s reputation for mistreating women at Yale has only grown. Yale banned DKE from campus for five years in 2011 after videos circulated of fraternity recruits chanting “no means yes, yes means anal” in front of the University’s Women’s Center.

And this spring, the University launched an investigation into the fraternity’s sexual climate after reports in the Yale Daily News and Business Insider documented sexual assault allegations against more than half a dozen members, including the fraternity’s former president.

Kavanaugh does not appear to have spoken publicly about his time in DKE. But in a speech to the Yale Law School Federalist Society in 2014, he recounted “falling out of [a] bus onto the front steps of the Yale Law School at about 4:45 a.m.” after a night of bar-hopping in Boston, according to a partial transcript of the speech published in Mother Jones.

Not everybody at Yale in the 1980s remembers DKE as wild and misogynistic. Sam Chauncey ’57, a longtime Yale administrator, said this summer that “DKE was pretty tame back in Kavanaugh’s time.”

But “tame” was not the word that came to Eisler’s mind when she saw the DKE flag in 1985.

“I was totally shocked that something like that would happen at Yale,” recalled Eisler, who wrote the letter to the editor and now works as a high school English teacher in Maryland.

“Even when I describe going up to them and talking to them, I was asking them out of disbelief,” she said.

Hailey Fuchs | hailey.fuchs@yale.edu

Britton O’Daly | britton.o’daly@yale.edu

• mglodo

Shame on the Yale Daily for its headline “DKE at Play.” That’s incredibly insensitive. Don’t make excuses for yourself that it was 1985.

• caso0

This has to be the most desperate article I’ve ever read

• BambaLamba

S W A G

• Hugo1000

Authors: Whatever you do, don’t watch Animal House!

• tv22

But Blutarski becomes a US Senator!

• hansenwt

I know right and believe me that seem to inspire a whole new round of 80’s activities at colleges…the early 80’s are not that removed from the late 60’s and that is what most fail to even understand or acknowledge (free love folks had kids and they were 20 somethings at college in the 80’s…..think about it.)

• Roger

Wow, some tom foolery from a bunch of frat boys. I’m totally shocked… NOT. Get over yourself, losers. Kavanaugh is going to be confirmed to the Supreme Court.

• Roger

And this is supposed to prevent Kavanaugh from getting confirmed to the Supreme Court? LOL.

• ddicorcia

So I guess you like sexually harrassing women?

• Roger

I don’t believe any sexual harassment happened.

• Dxisgreat

How low can you go, libs? Yeah that low. This has zilch to do with Kavenaugh.

• Donny

Then why is Grassley afraid of an investigation? And let me quote YOU – “Who cares about this C**t’s opinion of anything?”

Typical Republican. Craven cowards without morals.

• ddicorcia

As low as the GOP was with Senator Franken…..

• Nordonia Nate

Looks like the Ford sexual assault scam didn’t work and the Chowda-heads are moving on to the next scam..

Why post the 911 report for Keith Ellison? The police report from Teddy Kennedy’s bad driving? Bill Clinton’s multitude of sexual problems?

The confirmation Feinstein screwed the pooch..

• EricBrodin, deplorable

A…to the…MEN!

• Nordonia Nate

Looks like freedom of speech is truly not available in the Yale News… What are you afraid of?

• micah09

Next up, and for balance, will YDN to do a story on the Holton-Arms school that Blasey-Ford attended at the time she claims Kavanaugh assaulted her? Far more racy were what the Holton girls described in their yearbooks. Parties, binge drinking till you pass out, having sex with boys, and dressing up in racist costumes. Let’s have it YDN.

• marymig

This isn’t about high school…it’s about college. Get with the program.

• Bobby McGee

Assaulting a woman is “racy” now, is it? That’s convenient for you maybe.

• Pascal64

This debate – much like gender fluidity and white privilege debate – is most fascinating as it requires one to embrace a fantasy in place of reality.

People, all people, know what fun is and know the male-female dynamic. They know that irreverence, bawdiness, and even a little depravity make courtship and sexuality fun. EVERYONE has a little fun with dirty jokes and teasing.

But we need to pretend (when not watching Family Guy, South Park, HIMYM, Sex in the City and Girls) that only prudes and Victorian gentlemen make up our world.

What a laugh.

• Sarah Cartwright

A lot of boring Plain Janes on this thread, with a sprinkle of Soyboy White Knights. I say we panty raid ALL their houses!

• Mia

From the absolute bottom of my heart, I can tell you I do not enjoy it. I have always, and will always hate this type of behaviour from men.

• HoosierMommy

Sometimes the irreverence, bawdiness “and even a little depravity” go too far, and are hurtful.

“Everyone does it” and “can’t you take a joke?” are used to silence those on the receiving end of the “hijinks” who are embarrassed, humiliated or injured by people who have their fun at the expense of others.

• MontanaRed

“They know that irreverence, bawdiness, and even a little depravity make courtship and sexuality fun. EVERYONE has a little fun with dirty jokes and teasing.”

As long as both sides know where the boundaries are and observe them. Too often this is not the case.

• Patricia Dalton

More and more of Kavanaugh’s secret, nasty past is coming out!

• EricBrodin, deplorable

And I guess you were a picture of divinity in college, huh?

• Gamer

And yet none of it is tied directly to him! Can’t convict someone for the actions of others.

• Timothy Swartz

@Patricia Dalton And so is Yale’s. If you’re going to be fair here, Yale should be held responsible for the acts of students that were publicly known and acknowledged.

• Mike

This is the hard hitting journalism we need. People being immature at college when they were young. That’s exactly what we need to know. Acting like any college kids never acted like a bunch of college kids.

• http://usadailymail.com Rex Doctor

…and thus is why it does not stop or ever end…

• kmblue187

Attempted rape is immature? Good to know.

• Mike

Do you have any proof that anyone was raped, or rape was attempted? Because if you do I’m sure the Senate would love to know about it. You drew a big line from kids making a flag out of underwear to freaking rape.

• kmblue187

The Senate is refusing to hear witnesses to learn about it, it’s Ford period, no corroborating witnesses allowed. The 11 Repub members are literally hiding behind a woman’s skirts rather than do their own questioning. Ford says Kavanaugh pushed her onto a bed, put his hand over his mouth and started fumbling with her clothing. In my book that’s attempted rape, not boys will be boys.

• Shartiblartfat

In college, we poors understood we were not like the riches. I worked my way through school, with a wife and kid, back in the day. I graduated with no debt, but I had no time for “hijinks.” I got a job in retail junior management, but I had no connections allowing me to tap-dance into an executive office.

• Kim G

Correction: possible friends or associates being immature. There’s no specific allegation that Kavanaugh had anything to do with this story other than belonging to the same fraternity.

• sister_h

There are different sectors of college kids. Some are privileged jerks who are implicated in sexual assault while others are standout athletes, scholars, activists, and artists. Some are working class students who hold down a job or jobs while studying. Most don’t commit sexual assault. Don’t make the mistake of masking sexual assault by calling it “immature.”

• MontanaRed

Sounds like you wish you had been part of the hijinks, Mikey. Sexual misconduct is NOT immature, it is odious.

• Mike

Nice strawman there buddy. You raped me in high school. Prove to me that you didn’t.

• Kari O’Driscoll

Sexual assault does not = “hijinks” Please think about headlines before you write them. Then think about them again. Appreciate the history, but the word hijinks only reinforces the “boys will be boys” narrative and that is complete bs

• Roger

If I was as ugly as you, I would be a bitter left-winger also.

• Gamer

Where was there any talk about sexual assault?

• Lord Earl de Duke, Prince

The only mention of sexual assault in the article regards a Yale investigation undertaken last spring after YDN and BI reported allegations of such. Is there another version of the article that details something else?

• Charles Morgan

Guilt by innuendo? Is that how you operate?

• Leslie

Hey Kavanaugh. No means no bench seat for you.

• Nordonia Nate

What’s so sad.. YOU actually believe threats and intimidation are appropriate behaviors.. Golly, I hope I get an invite at your next book burning..

• Roger

Wishful thinking.

• Gamer

Unless there is proof he did anything illegal then STFU!

• truth seeker

I realize the early 1980s seems to you like antiquity, but many of us women who went to college then actually were aware and were horrified and disgusted by these kinds of “antics.” They are unacceptable now and were unacceptable then. And even if Kavanaugh is innocent of the accusations Dr. Blasey is making (which I doubt), his membership and participation in a misogynistic fraternity known as “Tits and Clits” and his continued boasting about his excessive drinking should be blazing red flags to every last Senator on the Judiciary Committee. Kavanaugh is clearly a child of privilege who learned he could get away with anything and his corrupt and unethical behavior during the Dubya administration bear that out. He’s a terrible nominee and a terrible human. God (or someone) help us if he is confirmed to SCOTUS.

• HoosierMommy

Yes. He positively reeks of “rich white boy” privilege. Just say NO.

• EricBrodin, deplorable

And I guess in college, you were as pure as the wind driven snow?

• Roger

WHEN he is confirmed, not “if”.

• goat10000

“Even if he’s innocent, he’s still guilty.”

• Timothy Swartz

@truth seeker And Yale should not get away with this, either. If you were so horrified and disgusted by what happened, how can you not be outraged that Yale knew or should have known about this, yet did nothing?

• Dennis Hort

And after he graduated from Yale, an entitled preppy frat boy, he acquired a position where he could more reliably compel control of women’s bodies…

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yale-student-brett-kavanaugh-clerkship-look_us_5ba2f051e4b0181540d9e2bb

• fdisq

He’s clearly the perfect choice for the GOP’s elite

• theonlyone

I am definitely not a fan of Kavanaugh or Trump BUT I think it is a bit of a stretch to make Yale seem like a wild frat school. The Greek scene at Yale was somewhat modified due to the PC environment. Yale has never been a big “party and sex” university. Not even close.

• truth seeker

That’s not remotely what I said in my comment.

• pdmikk

Ahem. Bra is short for brassiere. A brazier is like a barbecue. I do not know what a brasier is.

• John_St_John

n. “metal container to hold burning coals,” 1680s, from French brasier “pan of hot coals,” from Old French brasier, from brese “embers” (see braise).

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/brasier

• bakabomb

A brazier is for grilling things like oysters. I understand the Rocky Mountains produce some succulent ones. We may be about to discover whether Bethesda’s outrank them.

• G in BC

How many braziers can one attach to a pole and still carry it..sorry saw the funny in it. But still the “boys will be boys” attitude…is disgusting ..was back then and is still today.

• Kim G

It’s what Women’s Libbers used to burn in the 60’s and early 70’s.

• hansenwt

should have had some professional expert assistance come in and help with the article.

• Tattycoram

I came here to write exactly this. There’s a certain irony in the fact that neither the authors nor any proofreaders know this word or consider taking time to look it up.

• Lord Earl de Duke, Prince

The bane of autocorrect: we no longer recognize our malaprops.

• kyotobusker

So, before I read this article I was hearing actual adults claiming that, even if Kavanaugh were to have done what he is being accused of, it was just ”teenage horseplay”. Now, it seems, that behavior has morphed into a frat sanctioned assault on women’s sense of safety and respect that lasted into his early twenties at least.
    How is it that Grassley, Hatch, and all the others on the red side of the judiciary committee don’t feel an obligation to do a tad more due diligence on his behavior in subsequent years.
    Or maybe they already know and choose the option of obfuscation, redirection, or flat out BS, over their job of making sure that the next appointment to the Supreme Court is truly a man of character with a strong moral compass.

• syrimne1

They know. They don’t care. Moreover, given that they just “happened” to have a list of 65 character witnesses (obtained under false pretenses) ready for when allegations of abuse towards women came out, it’s pretty clear they were trying to hide this from the beginning. The very idea of them caring is laughable at this point, in any case. They want their anti-Roe judge who will protect their financial and corporate interests, quell worker’s rights, and keep Trump in power by helping him obstruct justice and thwart and/or throw out the Mueller investigation. Women aren’t even the 10000000th thing on the list of things they give a crap about.

• RickCoMatic

Pick any prize off of the Top Shelf.

Trump Holds 200,000 Kavanaugh’s Doc’s Secret
        McConnell / Grassley’s Fiendish Expediency For Confirming Aledged Rapist Now HIGHLY Suspect!*

Kav’s Closest Fiend* Advisor To GOP’s Leader’s Demanding Vote
        * (sic)

• c lee

Spot on… The republicans freakin’ knew from the get go about Kavanaugh- and Mitch McConnell was hesitant from the start. This appointment is EVERYTHING- Trump or no Trump. It’s at least a 40 year appointment with a staunch Federalist Society member who believes in expansive presidential powers. That Kavanaugh has played down his anti-Roe beliefs publicly, but has quite recently attempted to deny a 17-year-old girl from obtaining a legal abortion by blocking her at every turn is sickening. Read about it. It was quite the manuevering on his part- all the while trying to appear like he was some freakin’ choir boy. Watching him in the throes of his raging at Amy Klobuchar regarding a legitimate drinking question and his lack of self awareness regarding alcohol and its affects, his blistering little-boy response. Oh and his pout. Christ, most women have met or known guys like this- so entitled, narcissistic (count how many times he said I or Me/My) and so angry that he might lose some power. I don’t want him on the bench. It was an interview and he lost his shit and showed the world that he lacks the judicial temperment needed for the job. Go and coach some little girls…lol!

• John_St_John

“How is it that Grassley, Hatch, and all the others on the red side of the judiciary committee don’t feel an obligation to do a tad more due diligence on his behavior in subsequent years. ”

Skeletons in their closets.

• EricBrodin, deplorable

Snowflake much?

• kyotobusker

Actually, I quite like snow.

• Nordonia Nate

Seriously… “.. his behavior has morphed into a frat sanctioned assault on women’s sense of safety..”???

My goodness, you self-righteous, hypocritical sudden moralists suddenly become the redeeming angels of women’s rights and virtues..

Yes.. Leave us consider the prevailing BS… Sen. Feinstein, in her infinite moral judgement has decided to use Prof Ford as a pawn in her desperate attempt to upset the SC confirmation process. Yes, we can see how your open support of Feinstein who, without moral conscious .. Willingly allowed Prof Ford to have her life, as well as her family’s life, completely ruined in her quest to pursue the ruin of the family and life of Judge Kavanaugh.

Golly, IF you only possessed an ounce of moral decency.. but that would me you had a conscious.. wouldn’t it?

• kyotobusker

Let me guess. I have a broken moral compass because I don’t believe this rightwing clown’s quickly unraveling BS, but you? you continue to support a pathological liar who has bragged about seducing his friends’ wives, grabbing and kissing women without their permission, and continues to keep children in cages?
        Jesus would be so proud of ”christians” like you.

• hansenwt

You just indicted 94% of the young adult male population in the 80’s…which I am guessing is your propaganda’s goal.

• kyotobusker

Oh My God, You just uncovered my evil librul plot.
        Well, actually, no. But, and just I’m guessing by your figures, that you must hang out with a bunch of real douchebags.

• George A. Wojtowycz

Some of them are also frat alumni!

• J. Gatsby

When you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes a YDN headline.

• marymig
  • halley

Guilt-by-decades-old-association, huh? I particularly love the “Kavanaugh was not involved in [insert particular mundane offensive thing], but [insert worse stuff he also wasn’t a part of]” format. This is the sort of journalism that comes out of an Ivy League school!?

Btw, where were you with this rigorous piece 2 months ago when he was nominated? Having danish and coffee with Dianne Feinstein perhaps?

• cirrob

Lol. So basically this has nothing to do with him. He’s not even in the picture. That’s like showing a picture of his class mate smoking a joint, and then saying that because smoking weed was glorified at the time and his school, he must have done it too. Fucking non starter.

And this is just the troll in me for my easily triggered fellow humans: yes, even if he did it, he was a kid with an obvious tease who gave the signs. He made a move, she declined once she realized someone bit her bait for real, and he stopped.

I once knew a girl who would talk about how she got raped all the time. We would have a party and this broad would gather all the girls around in some “talk about crying” circle to tell of how she was raped before coming over to he party. I think we saw this bullshit like 7 or so Times. Eventually the other girls got tired of the obvious lies to get attention from the narcissistic chick. My point is, chicks are drama. Her husband probably found out how whorish she was in high school so she made this shit up to deflect. He pressured her for a name for years and then she sees this guy on the TV being the pick for a president she irrationally hates because he’s a Republican and she’s ignorant. So she says, “honey that was the man” boom two birds with one stone. She’s gets to revisit the victim attention she received years ago which has probably waned since then, and gets to torpedo the nominee of a president and party she doesn’t like.

• Adoptoldercats

When you are seeking to sit on the Supreme Court of the United States, you must be held to that “higher standard” we all hear about because your decisions affect the entire country for a very long time. Poor judgment is no excuse when it comes to this. You have a pattern of misogynistic and rowdy drunken behavior as well as being suspected of lying to congress more than once. Your name must be withdrawn. I can’t trust my high court with you sitting on it. One bad choice is enough and Anita Hill was telling the truth. Everyone knows it. Especially the man who did what she claims he did. (Clarence Thomas)

• EricBrodin, deplorable

Two words….SO WHAT??!!

• Rob Levine

Talk about burying the lede! “Tit and clit” ???

• http://www.bikebubba.blogspot.com Bike bubba

OK, so we have an example of what was done by the class following Brett Kavanaugh’s, with no particular connection to him, allegations regarding his secret society backed up by….very little and not connected to him, allegations regarding his fraternity from 26 years after he graduated….

…congratulations, Yale Daily News. You have just done what graduates of reputable journalism schools call a “hack job” or “smear job.” You have, regarding the panty raid, completely failed to put that within its historical context, which would establish that they were well known from 1949 through the 1960s and beyond.

• Kim G

Guilt by association. It’s the new “beyond reasonable doubt” standard applied in cases of sexual assault or harassment.

• melro52

Of course there were parties. To lie about parties with drinking in college is futile. It happens and will continue. No doubt it happened. And accosting Ford was premeditated Kavanaugh and his friend Mark Judge, drunk or not. No doubt they drew straws who would go first. Because when you have two males off in a room with one female at a party, the other guy is just waiting his turn. What? Are we really going to think Judge was in there as some sort of “fire watch?” And as far as Ford waiting to come forward, well ditto for former altar boys. We forget who was the victim here. And the GOP have morphed this into some sort of favor they’re doing for Ford. Come forward “my Pretty.” Don’t stutter, But no one else including Judge will be speaking. No one else but you will take a polygraph. And leave all the written material that jibes with your testimony at home. smh

• Cali

It would be an amazingly helpful piece for the citizens of the US to analyze of the YDN staff could locate contemporaneous sources that could corroborate Kavanaugh’s behavior as part of these boys’ clubs. This information is anecdotal at best.

What the FBI and the Senate Judiciary Committee needs, in order to squash Kavanaugh’s nomination, are men and women who can testify under oath that the man PERSONALLY held such a low opinion of women’s bodily autonomy. A lot of people join frats and sororities especially if they are padding resumes for grad school. Was he an avid and eager participant in these antics?

Keep digging YDN! Find those frat-mates and sorority sisters that would remember him BACK THEN! What sort of anti-woman activities did HE participate in personally. Otherwise, this is just another smear that won’t halt that confirmation vote.

• Nonyo Business

I feel so ashamed. I laughed when I saw the movie Animal House. i saw it more than once. Worse yet, I liked it. Now I realize it was misogynist and objectified women. It made light ot statutory rape, having sex with drunk women, having sex with married women, professors having sex with students and peeping toms. I can’t believe anyone else liked such a movie. How can I absolve myself of my male guilt?

• EJone

Because it’s a movie doesn’t give anyone rights to attempt rape. You would have to understand the difference between movies and real life. Do you?

• Myiq2xu

Ooh, yeah! Let’s get the US Senate to effectively declare that the Dekes (and basically all fraternities) are a criminal organization of sexual predators.

• EJone

No just the DKE’s at this time. Get it

• Snikkerz

There is a lot of guilt by association going on here. Trying to equate what Kavanaugh may or may not have done because of what others in his fraternity did is just wrong, unless there is some evidence otherwise.

• EJone

Plenty of evidence he participated. He was a member of the DKE, Dicks!

• Timothy Swartz

Can someone please explain to me why these allegations should not affect Yale directly? If anyone was sexually assaulted in the 1980s by this fraternity or any others on the campus of Yale, how in the world can Yale not be held liable for what happened? With the so-called notorious reputations of the organizations named in this article, it is impossible that administrators at Yale would not have known (or, if they indeed did not know, they should have known). Yet they did nothing. It seems to me that there was a pattern (at least at Yale and presumably many colleges in the 80s) of blatantly ignoring behavior that appears to border on criminal, if not outright so. I initially was wondering why Title IX would not be implicated, though it appears that sexual harassment and sexual assault were not interpreted as being within the scope of the Act until Supreme Court decisions in the 1990s. I also don’t know what statute of limitations problems would exist in Connecticut regarding any claims that could come to light from the school’s investigation. But it would seem to me that these stories are a MUCH bigger problem for Yale than anything potentially related to Kavanaugh’s nomination.

• hansenwt

Wow, I am a 50 something dude so nothing I can do to help MeToo and they don’t want my help but if I were them (the leaders of) I would be all over this and any other garbage that makes MeToo look ridiculous. Obvious article to slander Kavanaugh by association which then makes the obvious argument that we should do the same to the victim because fair is fair….any fake news on either side makes it hard to take MeToo seriously…believe me the Dems and Ford’s lawyers are making it hard enough to take them seriously right now. If MeToo wants to cement its legitimacy supporters should denounce all the shenanigans on both sides.

• hansenwt

I am totally shocked that teenage boys would be fascinated with women’s underwear and triumph their conquests….I am guessing the writer never heard of “Panty Raid” and they were still doing those in the 80’s by the way…at least at colleges I was associated with and yeah it was funny or annoying but not threatening in any way to both men and women as far as I could tell.

• RickCoMatic

The two “Reporter’s” who authored this shameful article should grab an Uber home to have their momma’s slap them upside their damn fool heads! This, most certainly, is NOT journalism! This is what we veteran journalists usually call a “Hatchet Job!”
    Heavy with generalizations, littered with conjecture, overflowing the top of the bowl with innuendo and, … most embarrassingly; (with respect to journalistic practices) “Ethically challenged!”

• Although ‘quoted’ as ‘source material’; there is NO caption accompanying the photograph.
    • These two have the unmitigated gall to publish, as evidentiary support for their in-depth research, … a quoted portion of a comment made to a Facebook post!

By: “‘Hugh Godda’” & “‘Bea Shidenmee’”

The ∆KE Fraternity was founded at Yale 175 years ago.

(Quote)
    “It is no coincidence that [six] Presidents of the United States have been ∆KE’s and that our ∆KE Flag was flown with the Stars and Stripes on the first expedition to the North Pole and the first manned landing on the Moon. The individual qualities that ∆KE seeks have certainly withstood the test of time and served us all in good stead.” (End quote) — President Gerald R. Ford, ∆KE Omicron Brother

The readers of YALE DAILY NEWS must decide for themselves whether the work of Hailey Fuchs and Britton O’Daly ‘taken as a whole,’ lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. I’m putting two dimes on the Under! Although, there are several English professors and a great number of Journalism professors who agree the article deserves recognition in Journalism study and texts as bad example!

“Despite Brett Kavanaugh being a member of our Fraternity; I am urging the Massachusetts members of the House and Senate to table Brother Kavanaugh’s Confirmation vote until AFTER Mid-term Elections. Something you should be asking YOUR Representative’s and Senator’s to do too!”

Richard E Massey
    S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
    Syracuse University ’78
    ∆KE (Phi Gamma) Syracuse Brother
    -30-

• RickCoMatic

YALE DAILY NEWS STAFF
      Attn: O’Daly & Fuchs

I KEEP six honest serving-men
      (They taught me all I knew);
      Their names are What and Why and When
      And How and Where and Who.

I send them over land and sea,
      I send them east and west;
      But after they have worked for me,
      I give them all a rest.

I let them rest from nine till five,
      For I am busy then,
      As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea
      For they are hungry men.

But different folk have different views;
      I know a person small—
      She keeps ten million serving-men,
      Who get no rest at all!

She sends’em abroad on her own affairs,
      From the second she opens her eyes—
      One million Hows, two million Wheres,
      And seven million Whys!

— Rudyard Kipling

• RickCoMatic

EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA
      _________________________________________________
      SIX ADDED TO YALE DAILY NEWS https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/5abb44c057bfed6d3640a73075effa925c6b11a25c40055ac67592215b76f2b3.png

• RickCoMatic

By: “‘Hugh Godda’” & “‘Bea Shidenmee’”
    (Quote)
    “It is no coincidence that [six] Presidents of the United States have been ∆KE’s and that our ∆KE Flag was flown with the Stars and Stripes on the first expedition to the North Pole and the first manned landing on the Moon. The individual qualities that ∆KE seeks have certainly withstood the test of time and served us all in good stead.” (End quote)
    — President Gerald R. Ford, ∆KE Omicron Brother

Richard E Massey
    Syracuse University ’78
    ∆KE (Phi Gamma) Syracuse Brother

• Ashley Pourciau

If the Democrats were just interested in waiting due to this situation to be resolved, I would agree to wait. Unfortunately, you, I and everyone else knows they want to wait until after the election with the hopes of winning control of Congress in order to put in a Democrat nomination for the Supreme Court. If their reason is not that, perhaps they would agree that regardless of the outcome of the election and if Kavanaugh is found innocent, of all charges which may be filed, and no other problems that would eliminate him from serving on the Supreme Court, that they would then vote to confirm him without naming a new nominee. Let them prove what is holding this up.

• Sarah E. Grove

The election is still 5-6 weeks away. A reopening of Kavanaugh’s background investigation would only take a few days.

So, what’s your next excuse?

• john candle

I went to Middlebury from 1986-1990. This behavior was EVERYWHERE. Basically everyone who was at a popular or jock frat did behaved this way. Some were worse than others. Frats were finally banned at Midd after Delta Upsilon hung a mannequin in their house with the words “a random hole” written on it.

• martynWW

Amazing. Imagine if this same amount of attention had been directed at the “Choom Gang.”

• Higherominous Bosh

“a little blow.”

• Richard

Zzz

“Kavanaugh does not appear in the photograph”.

But you published it anyway.

Agenda much, Soy-Boys?

• BonzoDog1

Sometimes guilt by association is entirely justified — Hell’s Angels, the Waffen SS come to mind.
      I went to college a decade before these events, and even then such activity would have been — and was — soundly condemned.
      But then, I didn’t go to Yale.

• Lord Earl de Duke, Prince

I’ve said some awful things in the past, to men and women, and all in “good fun,” as they say (or once did). The difference between having done such in my past, and my approach to life today, is that I now recognize some of the things I said as hateful, even if I didn’t willfully intend hatred, as such; and I recognize that some of the things I said in jest, were hurtful in truth. No, I don’t remember them all right now, but if you jogged my memory, I probably would, and I would apologize, and I’d mean it–that’s what personal growth amounts to, and I think that’s what’s missing from we olde grognards when we scoff at those who see our “hijinks” and “good fun” as fundamentally wrong.

• Higherominous Bosh

“Burn the witch! Xe admits–ADMITS–to hate speech! DIE POND SCUM!!!”
      /sarc
      [Ed. note: In truth, well written, honest and thoughtful: bravx!]

• Lorraine Y. Pawlivsky-Love

Thank you for a well written response and admission to horrors of which many of us witnessed and participated in. I’m recalling the many parties and gatherings while at Lethbridge Community College and UCalgary in my late teens (40 some years ago) compared to my mid-life post-secondary experiences at the University of Victoria (BFA, M.Ed, 2005). The effects of my earlier experience are horrific in this era of awareness of the effects of bullying and belittling people including men who did not want to participate in the abuses.

The so-called sexual revolution only exacerbated the problem because many men had the ‘birth control pill and abortion solutions excuse’ as well as sexually transmitted disease ‘badge of honour’ as ‘proof’ to their peers. I had no idea on how to handle the amount of sexual harassment and assaults I would be expected to have over the course of my life. I’ve taught my kids how to get help and avoid situations with others who have the urge to be abusive yet they still witnessed actions that resulted in their own sad experiences.

Speaking up now is the only way we can get to a place of healing and good health. Imagine a world where everyone did what you are doing? Apologizing and rectifying the injustice they purported in their youth and their lives?

• Andrew60035

I attended Yale in the 1980’s. DKE was widely reviled.

“Pledges might ask for help from women they knew — or maybe the guy who sent them knew — to complete an item on the list.” I clearly recall a frat sending pledges around asking female classmates to stick their breast in a jar of peanut butter. Of the few frats at Yale then, DKE was the only one that would stoop to this.

• Phil Ostrand

Having gone to a few DKE parties in the 80’s I can tell you that women were regularly demeaned. I don’t hold that against Kavanaugh. People do stupid stuff when in College. Especially when fueled by alcohol. What I hold against him are his denials, and his apparent failure to learn and grow from those days.

If you lie about the little things Brett, how can we trust you with the big things?

• Chris

wow. this is upsetting to hear.. that fraternities can get away with that. I do have to say that for the brief time I was in a sorority ten years ago at the University of Montana (I grew up in MT), I experienced and heard about and we all knew the things that the frats did to women. everything from being known to roofie girls (one particular frat was known to be THE roofie frat) to just random acts. i even had a friend of my best friend (my best friend was a male in sigma phi epsilon) steal my phone and look through my photos and send 10 to himself in which he sent to the entire fraternity. i had contacted the greek society’s director numerous times who never got back to me and pretended like it never happened. i was advised to not make a fuss. my female friend with whom I pledged alongside, was bullied so severely by both our own sorority and sigma phi for doing something sexual when she was drunk that she quit and that is when i left as well. crazy world we live in that our education system has normalized this behavior.

• Ashley Pourciau

It seems there are an awful lot of no good people in high position politics and business that belonged to DKE at Yale. Shall we condemn them all. A partial list follows: Many American and Canadian politicians, businessmen, sports figures, and artists have been members, including Joe Paterno, Herb Kelleher, J.P. Morgan, Jr., William Randolph Hearst, Cole Porter, Bradley Palmer, Henry Cabot Lodge, Dick Clark, Tom Landry, David Milch, and George Steinbrenner. There were many others listed including many Presidents. Were they all rapist and debased females?

• Sarah E. Grove

Oh my! You include Paterno on your list? What a “swell guy” Ol’ Joe turned out to be, huh?

• Oded Haber

Gotta be careful about when, where, how and why those “swells” came about.

And what was (or wasn’t) done about them.

• Tigger

A good question. Almost certainly some at least of them were – and most likely most of them did. It was almost de rigeur to abuse women, as a show of power. Perhaps some ace investigative journalist would look into it and uncover the truth?

• ua2

You really want to use Joe Paterno as an example of sound leadership and good judgement?

• Dennis Finan Jr

lol cant find anything on a guy with 25 years of great libloc wervice so they have to lie about when he was a kid. lololool

• birdfish

SICK!
    SICK!
    SICK!

THIS MONSTER BRETT KAVENAUGH IS THE WORST SORT OF PERSON.
    A VILE DRUNKARD, R.APIST, AND HATER OF WOMEN!
    YES HATER!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE WAS IN THIS VILE FRATERNITY AND HE IS GOING TO JUDGE WOMENS RIGHTS????????
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE IS UNFIT AND MUST BE EJECTED FROM THE COURT!!!!!!!!!