The University saw a record 88 complaints of sexual misconduct between Jan. 1 and June 30, 2016, according to Yale’s latest semi-annual Report of Complaints of Sexual Misconduct, released Tuesday.

That figure surpasses the previous high — 78 complaints between July 1 and Dec. 31, 2015 — since the University began publishing the reports in 2011.

Of the 88 complaints, 30 fall under sexual assault and 44 are sexual harassment allegations. The three other categories of sexual misconduct listed in the report — intimate partner violence, stalking and other — make up the rest.

Title IX coordinators addressed 69 complaints, the Yale Police Department 14 complaints and the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct five complaints. The Sexual Harassment and Assault Response & Education Center can also hear complaints, but it keeps all of its information confidential, so the report does not include grievances brought to SHARE’s attention. Complainants often engage with a combination of these venues, the report shows.

According to the new report, one Yale College student was suspended and one faculty member resigned following UWC procedures. The UWC also found sufficient evidence to expel a Yale College student and suspend a graduate or professional school student, in updates on two previous complaints.

Since Jan. 1, seven complaints of sexual assault and eight of sexual harassment were not further pursued by complainants, who worked with Title IX coordinators to make that decision. 10 other potential complainants — eight of sexual assault and two of sexual harassment — did not engage with Title IX coordinators, who contacted them after receiving information from a third party.

With this report, the University has reached the five-year mark of compiling and releasing semi-annual reports on complaints of sexual misconduct. Additionally, the UWC — the only entity that can take formal disciplinary action on Yale grounds — turned five years-old this July. University Title IX Coordinator Stephanie Spangler wrote that the University has decided to share aggregate five-year statistics in the latest report.

A total of 623 complaints of sexual misconduct were brought forward to the University between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2016. These include 316 complaints of sexual harassment and 156 complaints of sexual assault.

“While the number of complaints reported to university officials over the past five years far exceeds reporting levels in any prior five-year period, we know from both national statistics and our own participation in the 2015 [Association of American Universities] Sexual Climate Survey that this number represents only a fraction of the instances of sexual misconduct at Yale,” Spangler wrote.

The results of the AAU survey were released almost a year ago, but what University President Peter Salovey had called “extremely disturbing” figures continue to impact campus discussions today. With the newly released five-year data, Spangler said the University is redoubling its efforts to remove barriers to reporting and to improve the overall campus sexual climate.

Moving forward, Spangler told the News that she feels optimistic.

“I am very grateful for the high and growing level of community engagement as we seek to identify and reduce barriers to reporting and to expand our initiatives to prevent sexual misconduct at Yale,” she said.

In the previous semi-annual report, which was released in February, Spangler’s office sought to clarify the role of Title IX coordinators, who cannot hold formal disciplinary hearings but can assist complainants in other ways. Title IX coordinators can help impose no-contact restrictions, and they act more like counselors to complainants, taking action or dropping the case in accordance with the complainants’ wishes.

These responses fall into three categories: those incidents where coordinators took action on behalf of complainants, those where coordinators worked with complainants who decided to take no further action, and those where coordinators reached out to potential complainants based on information from third parties, such as freshman counselors and residential college administrators who have an obligation to report. The latest report presented statistics for the last two categories in an effort to document complaints that were dropped, although complainants always have the option to pursue action in the future.

• Frank411

Yes, indeed, one student was expelled. Jack Montague. On a charge brought by a third-party, self-righteous busybody after Montague’s ex-girlfriend said she didn’t want to pursue the matter.

The U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (with jurisdiction over cases in NY, VT and CT) ruled unanimously at the end of July, 2016, in Doe v. Columbia University that Doe’s case stated a claim for anti-male bias by Columbia University in violation of Title IX. The judges were all Democratic appointees (two Clinton appointees, one Obama appointee).

It is inconceivable that Montague’s lawsuit against Yale and specific Yale officials will not move forward given this decision from the Second Circuit. It will be fascinating to read the details that emerge from Montague’s document discovery and depositions of the anti-civil-liberties folks who administer Title IX at Yale.

You might want to consider reading and reporting on the facts as they emerge in that case. It would balance the press release on which this article appears to be based.

• Nancy Morris

Under current policy, resting one’s hand on another’s shoulder can qualify as “sexual assault.” One wonders whether farting or just looking at someone else in the wrong tone of voice could constitute “sexual assault.” There is really no serious question that this whole set of hysteria laden considerations is careering towards broad disaster.

• yalie2

“One Yale College student was suspended and one faculty member resigned following these UWC cases. The UWC also found sufficient evidence to expel a Yale College student and suspend a graduate or professional school student, in updates on two previous complaints.”

As much attention as schools are getting for not giving the accused a fair shake, Yale did not suspend or expel very many students. 1 student suspended and 1 faculty member resigning out of 88 complaints seems like a relatively small number. While it obviously doesn’t say anything definitively, it does possibly indicate that some of the claims of overreach by the university are a bit overblown. I don’t doubt too much that there was at least one student who deserved to be suspended or expelled for sexual misconduct.

• ShadrachSmith

I blame Hillary for Ghostbusters III, and the Feminist Star Chamber.

• Mary Ann

It’s so curious that such matters are front page news at a university that so cherishes and supports the Clintons. But irony has always come cheap in politics and academia. Yale’s broad support of serial sexual harasser and alleged rapist Bill Clinton and his witness-intimidating, perjuring, perjury-suborning, pseudo-feminist partner is nothing new.

And why should one expect more from the Yale community than from the allegedly feminist media? The latest excusal comes from Wonkette, where Rebecca Schoenkopf admits Clinton likely raped Juanita Broadderick, but because he called to apologize he should be forgiven without consequences to him, and simply because he likely raped her doesn’t mean he’s a “bad feminist.” Surely those are arguments each and every one of the 88 accused people at Yale should keep in mind as Yale pours its votes into the Clinton hopper in November! Here’s what Wonkette has to say:

“To sum up, I think Bill Clinton could very well have raped Juanita Broaddrick; that it doesn’t make him an evil man, or irredeemable (I’m Catholic; we’re all forgiven, if we’re sorry, and Broaddrick says Bill Clinton personally called her up to apologize). It doesn’t even necessarily make him a bad feminist — you know, later, once he stops doing that.”

Let that serve as a reminder of what Broaddrick, who was attacked by the Clintons and their inner circle as a crazy and delusional nut job, alleges.

Meanwhile, the Clinton campaign has scrubbed the ironic statement that all sexual assault survivors “deserve to be believed” from Hillary’s official campaign website.

A redditor also pointed out that Hillary Clinton’s campaign website appeared to have made some edits to its “campus sexual assault” page. Last winter, website archives show, a September 14, 2015, quote from Hillary ran across the top:

“I want to send a message to every survivor of sexual assault: Don’t let anyone silence your voice. You have the right to be heard. You have the right to be believed, and we’re with you.”

In February, shortly after Broaddrick’s viral tweet made headlines, the line “you have the right to be believed” was cut from the text. A video of the full remarks, that line included, is currently on the page. The Clinton campaign declined to comment on the change.

• gregpiper

Yale’s violent crime rate against undergraduate women, as portrayed in this report, is just under Detroit’s. And Spangler says it’s a low estimate. Show some journalistic skepticism, YDN. http://www.mindingthecampus.org/2016/08/more-on-the-sex-panic-at-yale/