This article has been updated to reflect the version that ran in print on Nov. 6.

Surrounded by a sea of upturned faces and fighting back tears, Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway stood on the Women’s Table Thursday afternoon before a crowd of more than 200 students to break the administration’s silence on allegations of racial discrimination that shook campus this week.

“It is painful for me — as someone who has a vested interest in supporting you — to hear what you have just told me, but I am glad you did…” he said. “I’m here for you. I do have your back. Please know that I have heard your stories and I’ll leave here changed.”

The speech came after three hours of emotional confrontation on Cross Campus, as hundreds of students of all races  encircled Holloway, who remained solemn as he listened to their stories and their calls for him to use his administrative position to advocate for marginalized groups on Yale’s campus. The impromptu gathering, which ballooned out of a chalking event on Cross Campus in support of Yale’s people of color, which Holloway had attended, came days after alleged racist behavior at a Sigma Alpha Epsilon party and an email from Silliman College Associate Master Erika Christakis criticizing over-sensitivity to cultural appropriation. Crowd members expressed their frustrations and anger at the current status of minorities on Yale’s campus. In addition to voicing their outrage and disappointment at the administration’s perceived inaction, minority students asked Holloway a question: To whom in the University administration can they turn for support?

Highlighting Holloway’s historic role as the first African-American dean of Yale College, students called on him to take action in support of racial minorities, especially women of color. They said they respected Holloway and the weight of his responsibilities, but they were disappointed in him both as a black administrator and as a black man. While it is challenging for minority students to make their voices heard by the entire community, they said, it is easy for Holloway to do so simply by sending out an email in his capacity as dean.

Many students burst into tears as they spoke. Holloway, who remained largely silent throughout the three hours he stood in the center of the crowd, was visibly moved, turning to face each student who spoke.

Students’ remarks extended far beyond the incidents involving SAE and Christakis, although they have served as the catalysts for an onslaught of discontent this week. Students called for sweeping administrative change, including the improvement of mental health infrastructure for minority students and the provision of Dean’s Excuses for students suffering from traumatic racial events.

At the end of the gathering, Holloway stood atop the Women’s Table to address the crowd in an emotional speech in which he promised to more fully embrace his responsibilities as a prominent black administrator and professor of African American Studies.

“Professor Holloway has a voice, but it’s harder for Dean Holloway to have the same voice,” he said. “[That’s] probably wrong. And I’ll do better.”

He also responded to students’ criticisms of administrative silence on racial issues, acknowledging that students may not always agree with his decisions.

“It is clear that what I’ve been trying to do quietly and behind the scenes has not been enough, and I acknowledge that,” he said.

Shortly after the gathering on Cross Campus, a crowd of students moved to the Silliman courtyard to continue chalking there. “Our culture is not a costume,” they wrote in bright colors on the ground. Shortly after, Silliman College Master Nicholas Christakis appeared before the crowd. A conversation ensued, in which many in attendance demanded an apology for the email his wife sent last Friday.

They criticized her for admonishing the Intercultural Affairs Council’s discouragement of culturally appropriative Halloween costumes. They also denounced Erika Christakis’ behavior during an open forum at the Afro-American Cultural Center Wednesday night. Students particularly disapproved of her attempt to leave the room before speaking or answering questions directed toward her, although she explained that she had a class waiting for her.

The tone of this confrontation differed markedly from the earlier discussion with Holloway. While the interaction with Holloway ended in applause for the dean, the large gathering around Nicholas Christakis abruptly dissolved when students stormed away in frustration.

“I apologize for causing pain, but I am not sorry for the statement,” Christakis, whose wife was not present, told the crowd, his voice raised. “I stand behind free speech. I defend the right for people to speak their minds.”

The gathering quickly became tense and confrontational after his shouted response. Several students screamed at Christakis, calling him “disgusting” and using expletives. They told Christakis they do not feel welcome in Silliman, noting that students usually look to their masters to advocate for them, but they are now unwilling to even receive their diplomas from him at graduation. Many said he should be removed from his post.

Christakis continued to defend his wife’s email, even jabbing his finger toward the individual students he was addressing. The conversation soon became a shouting match as both Christakis and the students tried to make themselves heard.

Disillusioned, about half of the crowd left the gathering within the hour, finding their demands for an apology from the couple unanswered. Those who stayed continued to express their frustration.

Later Thursday evening, Christakis hosted a Master’s Tea with Greg Lukianoff, president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a nonprofit organization committed to defending individual rights on American college campuses. At the tea, which has been planned since July and is not in response to this week’s events, Christakis said recent discussions have redoubled his resolve and appreciation for the value of free speech.

While the tea was occurring, Holloway, University President Peter Salovey and several other administrators met with student leaders from various cultural groups. After the conclusion of the nearly five-hour meeting, Salovey told the News he is grateful that students have shared their experiences and time to make the University a better place.

“We had a very honest interchange, and I am working now with my leadership team to plan concrete steps for us to take to act up on concerns the students shared with me,” Salovey wrote.

Dean of Student Engagement Burgwell Howard — who was present at the gatherings with both Holloway and Christakis — emphasized that listening before taking action is the best way to advance the current situation.

“Dean Holloway listened,” he said. “He needed to listen and hear people’s pain first, before he is in a position to speak.”

Clarification, Nov. 7: This article has been updated with certain details that were omitted during the editing process, in order to present a more complete picture of Thursday’s events.

• Nancy Morris

Once again these students exhibit a serious failure to understand the difference between explaining to someone that he or she is wrong and trying to silence them. Physical confrontation, shouting and intimidation are not forms of rational discussion, they are mechanisms of silencing. And Yale University is not a “safe space” for these students and those who agree with them. Rather, they must at least make their peace with the fact that others do not agree with them, and are free to say so. Neither Christakis has the slightest thing to apologize for. Mrs Christakis’ email was a straightforward and entirely appropriate reminder of the basic rights of free expression necessary for the functioning of a university.

• ldffly

Agreed. However, I’m beginning to wonder where the administration stands on these matters. In my opinion, we will find out where the administration stands when and if they make a decision on punishment for students who fqqqed Prof. Christakis.

• Debbie

The screecher definitely should face consequences for her verbal tantrum/assault which crossed the line into workplace harassment, but you should definitely not hold your breath waiting for this to happen.

• Cutler

I can’t imagine a punishment worse than having a video of yourself throwing a tantrum going viral. She likely worked long and hard to get into Yale yet for years to come she’ll be defined by her behavior during what was obviously an emotional low point for her.

• http://www.artspace.com/magazine/interviews_features/lists/the-10-worst-ways-to-die-in-a-hieronymous-bosch-painting-53872 Hieronymus Machine

“‘Shut up,’ they explained.”

• river_tam

Let’s talk about how offensive it is to be offended by something a woman writes and then confront HER HUSBAND over it.

• SomeoneWhoWasThere

Erika Christakis’ email stated explicitly that her views were shared by her husband, who is actually the head administrator of the residential college. Furthermore, the students described “confronted” Nicholas Christakis after he approached them during a peaceful demonstration and taunted them. Meanwhile, Erika Christakis has not made any statement in response to the controversy, and did not comment at a community-wide forum on the issue.

The fact that someone who hasn’t been present for the events on this campus (or even worse, someone who has!) can read this article and criticize the students who have been expressing their pain and fear and sadness just goes to show how commonplace it is to discount the experiences of minorities and people of color in this environment.

Thanks for perpetuating…

• FiatJustitia

Where in the comment you replied to did the person discount the experiences of minorities and people of color? If I criticize the students for their behavior, am I, as a person of color, discounting the experiences of minorities and people of color? Is any criticism of these students equivalent to discounting their experiences? Is there some deeper meaning here that I’ve missed, or are you simply repeating something you hold to be true about the community in a particular situation where it has no basis? I hope you’d care to elaborate, because I’m struggling to understand.

• Devin

If you don’t fully embrace every individual’s action, you are perpetuating “erasure” and “oppression” upon their entire race and “silencing their voice”

identity politics at it’s best, yet it all still seems rather like pre-school tantrums.

• ChuSez

Nailed it.

• skrillcosby

This is the exact problem with this whole ordeal. These students deserve criticism. They simply do. Saying that all critics of them are perpetuating racial division is as intentionally misleading as it is disgustingly selfish

I think others did a better job of “perpetuating” than did river_tam…

• Michael Donaghey

Hey, do you mind responding to FiatJustituatia, who was also there and has a totally different interpretation? As far as I can see, you have intentionally EXCLUDED key factors in what occurred to forwards your viewpoint. If anything, that is disgusting.

• ChuSez

Ever see Roshomon?

• Bulldog

I was there. Christakis didn’t taunt. He walked outside his home to talk to the students chaulking bizarre messages like, “What’s good Erika?” And the students surrounded him, and went from overtly hostile to increasingly viscous. The students behavior was reprehensible. The whole point of Christakis’ email was that students need to be emotionally strong enough to handle the cruel world. If ever anyone was unconsciously gauche, say with a Halloween costume, the best way to handle it is with manners: ignore it, or talk about it. I applaud the bravery that both Christakis’ have exhibited in sticking to their principles. And that one wretched girl who screamed profanity is his face? I hope she’s ashamed of her behavior. Courtesy should be extended to all human beings.

• icetrey

They expressed their pain and fear and sadness over an email that said Yale shouldn’t tell students what HALLOWEEN COSTUMES to wear!

• ChuSez

Heartbreaking. Such fragile flowers they all are.

• Havid Damburger

@someone@disqus_EnJ9TsjZXI:disqus have you ever been tested for a personality disorder or mental illness.

• ChuSez

Microaggression!! Microaggression!! Microaggression!!
          Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!

• chuckles99

Pain and sadness? Go work in Syria. Or Darfur. Go work with the refugees pouring intot Europe. Then you will see pain and suffering. You are pathetic and pampered lot at Yale. This is being viewed throughout the world and the reaction is that Yale students are very unimpressive.

• ChuSez

Another micro aggression, little flower?

• Garden Ridge ✔Gold Verified

The events that took place actually transpired via email, so it isn’t exactly something that took place “on this campus”. What you don’t seem to understand is that people who have varying opinions are not perpetuating some disregard for “the experiences of minorities and people of color” but simply stating their opinion, just as you are. Are you perpetuating a lack of concern for others because you disagree with others? NO. You just disagree with them (which is perfectly acceptable).

• ChuSez

” pain and fear and sadness ”

Grow up. Someday you will probably leave Yale, and heaven help you if you ever have to experience any true “pain and fear and sadness”.

• Debbie

Never mind that Erika Christakis’ email was unobjectionable to any reasonable person of color or of no color, unlike the childish temper tantrum of the screecher in the video…

• FiatJustitia

The behavior of many of the students at this “conversation” was absolutely reprehensible: Telling the master when he could and could not speak, not to break eye contact when they were talking, saying he was “fucking disgusting,” “you should not go to sleep at night,” and “fuck you,” among other choice displays of intellect.

The conversation consisted of students saying that “they’re killing us here,” demanding that Christakis agree with them on the issue and that he abandon his intellectual position, responding that this isn’t an intellectual discussion when he attempted to defend his views, and claiming that his responsibility as master is to make a “safe home” for students and to “coddle” them if need be (the words of a student, not mine) and not to provide an “intellectual space.”

As far as I could divine among the cries and derisive laughter and snapping, the only gripes with Master Christakis that these students could identify were:

1. He could not remember the name of some students in his college. (Accompanied by some cries of “Well my college master knows all of our fucking names!”)

2. He left the Afro-Am forum early.

3. Though he apologized for causing pain, he would not abandon his intellectual position.

The first of these is an excusable mistake for a master in his first year with the college and has nothing to do with race. As for the second, Master Christakis had to leave the forum early to attend to a student in the hospital awaiting surgery. And the last of these grievances is something for which I think any honest educated individual should applaud him. It is a sign of good character that one does not give up one’s beliefs under group pressure.

If students genuinely disagree with the Master’s characterizations of the Associate Master’s email and about the importance of principles such as freedom of expression, then the proper course of action for these students in this situation should be to engage in conversation with him so that some mutual understanding might be achieved. Instead, the mob on the courtyard elected to throw expletives and scream in the master’s face. They shut him down every time he tried to explain how his commitment to freedom of expression did not mean that he did not see the legitimacy of students’ experiences.

This incident should not be the standard for discussion on this campus. Whether or not you belong to an oppressed minority group has no bearing on the basic respect and civility that is owed to other human beings. No group has a monopoly on the suffering in this world, and one should not act as though membership in a group justifies verbal abuse and malice. I found the statements (if they could even qualify as such) inflicted on the master to be more severe and “offensive” than any example, substantiated or not, I have heard of or have had spoken at me.

The height of my disappointment in my colleagues was to see the collective jeering and derision at the master’s statement that he believed in the capacity for people to understand each other through their shared humanity.

As a minority student myself, I found the conduct of students on this occasion to be truly “disgusting.”

• ck

i’ve lost some faith in yale as a democratic community over the course of this “incident”, but it is reactions like this that make me regain some of that faith

• Yale1984

Screaming hardly seems like adult speech. Free speech is dead at Yale.

• Rob

Wait… a mob of 100 angry students surrounded the professor, taunted him and hurled insults, physically impeded his ability to exit, and demanded that he apologize for something written by his wife (as if he controls her and needs to accept responsibility for her actions)? Who, exactly, is creating the hostile environment here? Who, exactly, is undermining Yale as a safe space for divergent views? Who, exactly, is supporting chauvinism and privilege? What’s next, the guillotine?

As Ayn Rand put it, these comrades rep “the new woman,” and “mob womanhood at its most dangerous.” I’m not a Randian, but “We the Living” is quite instructive and applicable.

• Echo

Nah, Struggle Sessions for professors, like during the good old cultural revolution. http://blogs-images.forbes.com/jplehmann/files/2015/07/cultural-revolution-2-oki-1940×1091.jpg

• http://japaneseamericaninboston.blogspot.com/ Keiko K.

I don’t think they’re demanding that he apologize for his wife’s email
      (though maybe they are), but for something she attributed to him in the
      email: “Nicholas says, if you don’t like a costume someone is wearing,
      look away, or tell them you are offended. Talk to each other. Free speech and the ability to tolerate offence are the hallmarks of a free and open society.” via: http://pastebin.com/egSQGfgK
      as well as his actions since then. He and his wife share responsibilities in their roles as Master and Associate Master of Silliman and he has backed his wife on this. So even though she’s the author of the email, they are working as a team. There seem to be other petty grievances. See @FiatJustitia’s comment.
      http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/11/05/students-confront-christakis-about-halloween-email/#comment-2345197657

He apparently was not as bothered by the incident as you are. He defended the students in a tweet.
      https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/662944926494294016
      “No one, especially no students exercising right to speech, should be judged just on basis of short video clip.”

and then invited them to lunch:
      http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/11/06/holloways-email-addresses-campus-controversies/

This controversy is clearly about much more than an email. I may not agree with how some of the students handled themselves in the videos I saw but claiming that they’re the ones responsible for creating an unsafe space is ridiculous. The people with the power in this situation are the Christakises as faculty and administrators and they’ve obviously missed the boat on understanding why some students of color in their house and across campus are so upset. The students clearly see them as having contributed to the already existing hostile space they see Yale as.

It doesn’t look to me like they are even having the same conversation. The Christakises are talking about free speech and the nanny state and the students are talking about their experiences at Yale as members of marginalized populations. Their “tantrums” as some commenters have characterized them could be performative or they could come from a deep well of anger. Just because some of the students behaved appallingly, doesn’t necessarily mean there may not be issues with the Christakises’ leadership or with the general climate at Yale for minority students.

Yale’s president, Peter Salovey, has since apologized to students saying “We failed you.” This article details some of the other complaints that have nothing to do with the email.
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/06/yales-president-tells-black-students-we-failed-you/

Vox provided a good explainer for how the Yale controversy fits in to the national conversation about racism and campus culture.
      http://www.vox.com/2015/11/7/9689330/yale-halloween-email

• scotchleaf

“He defended the students in a tweet.” i.e. he realized that he would be hounded from his job if he failed to grovel.

Doubtful. One meager tweet hardly constitutes groveling and he has to know that a lone tweet is not going to suddenly change the minds of the people calling for his removal as Master. College professors and housemasters don’t typically work for the money. They could make far more in industry than they do in academia. They do it because they genuinely love students. I don’t really know why they’re having such trouble at Yale. Perhaps they dealt with less diversity when they were housemasters at Harvard.

• scipiodreams80

Why is there not more detail regarding the email in question? It’s a failure of journalism to publish this story and not provide that context.

• SomeoneWhoWasThere

So as a student who was actually present for the demonstrations earlier in the day, and for this confrontation, I think it’s important to clarify that we students “encircled” Nicholas Christakis only after he interrupted a peaceful demonstration of students writing messages on the pavement in chalk to laud our “exercise of free speech” – the very same language he used to excuse the donning of culturally insensitive and racist costumes for Halloween. The man was taunting the very same students who have made it clear that he mis-stepped and left them feeling denigrated, disrespected, and erased from a conversation his superiors in the university prompted about consideration, compassion, and cultural sensitivity.
    Nicholas Christakis has clearly failed in his role as the head of a residential college community, and brought several of his own students to tears today by shouting at them and using condescending body language and tone when addressing them. There have been other failings and other instances of his own students feeling unwelcome in their homes or devalued in their communities. How can an unsolicited defense of free speech be supportive of the students he is hired to protect the well-being and safety of, when he has been told repeatedly that his actions and his words perpetuate attitudes and practices that threaten them? Throughout this entire ordeal, he and his wife have dismissed student opinions, refused to apologize, and even committed such professional violations as tweeting from a residential college twitter account about the “coddling” of the “overly-sensitive” students in his own college.
    For those of you who have lost faith in Yale as a democratic institution because of the suggestion that your actions be policed for the emotional well-being of your peers, consider how disillusioned students of color must feel at this institution to know that they can be turned away from parties because of their race, or have their cultures and identities openly mocked with little to know support from the administrators who are supposed to be their advocates.
    If you had been there today to hear students of color sharing their experiences (or if you had any friends of color who feel comfortable talking to you about race issues at Yale) you would understand the tears, and the shouting, and the hurt. You would understand the frustration, and the hopelessness these students feel knowing that they’re at a world-class, doesn’t-get-better-than-this institution, and even here they are burdened with the responsibility of educating their peers or, as Christakis suggested, “just looking away” when they don’t get the respect or dignity afforded to their white peers.

• FiatJustitia

When has he excused the donning of culturally insensitive and racial costumes? If you’re talking about the email sent by the associate master, why should saying that someone has the right to a certain form of expression be the same thing as excusing it? The master, if you had cared to listen, made it very clear that the kinds of costumes you would find objectionable would very likely also be objectionable to him. So the disagreement lies solely in the means by which you respond to objectionable costumes. And I think his preference in such solutions is for students to take advantage of their freedom of speech and talk with each other about what they find offensive. Your preference seems to be to do away with the offensive expression in the first place, freedom of speech notwithstanding.

In various cases at past institutions, Master Christakis has defended from administrators the rights of people expressing views similar to yours on the basis of freedom of speech. Personally, I find that freedom of speech is not something to be done away with whenever convenient or whenever one finds that certain views are too “offensive.” Freedom of speech means nothing at all of it does not extend to the most unpopular of views.

As for the shouting and condescending body language, you should be ashamed of joining the crowd in the most malicious and uncharitable interpretations of the slightest gestures on his part. When he turned briefly to acknowledge another student in the crowd, he was berated for looking away from the student who was speaking at the time. This student claimed that he was acting just like other white men who turned away from people of color who voiced their opinions.

I’m not sure what exactly you wanted from him. The fact that you found someone’s ideas to be offensive does not mean that the individual has an obligation to surrender the ideas in question. When the master apologized for causing pain, this wasn’t enough. Students demanded that he apologize for the stance that he took. If they wanted to change his mind on the question of free speech, they should have engaged him in conversation.

Freedom of speech has been established in this country and in modern civilization at the cost of a history of human suffering. The fact that you have legitimate grievances about the society we live in–the fact that you have powerful experiences to bring to the table–does not mean that the views and policies you have drawn from those experiences should be accepted by all as a foregone conclusion.

If you what you want is not simply for others to acknowledge the legitimacy of your experiences, but also to agree with you on an intellectual level about what should be done to solve problems in our society and community, then intellectual discussion is your only recourse. In someone weaker than Christakis, you may succeed in shouting down and shaming someone into submission. But however successfully you might shut people up, you will fail to change their beliefs if you do not make the most basic attempts to reason with them.

I am a person of colour, and I get by just fine at Yale. I much prefer that the master creates an environment where I get to discuss and share my ideas both with those who agree with me and with those who do not. And regardless of whatever offhand comments I might hear about my race, or what racial jokes I might hear, or the microaggressions inflicted on me, I manage just fine. I find humour in the jokes that are funny, don’t take personal offense when someone displays some small ignorance of my particular culture, and feel comfortable at this institution precisely because individuals like the master and his wife defend freedom of speech. I can say what I want, and am happy to engage with others who disagree with me, as I am doing now.

All that the Christakis’s have claimed is that it is better for students to decide by discussion among themselves what is acceptable or offensive.

If you disagree, please explain to me why. I say in complete honesty that I would like to hear your stance on the matter.

• MaryAnne Biele

You have shared and written this so eloquently and honorably. Your points are succinct and completely objective!

• http://ᴡᴡᴡ.18sexy.co BillyBilly

Truly, this is the spirit of Yale. Well done.

• Rocket Racoon

My faith restored. 👍🏽

• Bobby Obvious

Well done

• CapertonBarnesMiller

Best reply of the thread. I’d drop the mic but by showing you’re open to more dialogue you’ve taken the higher ground. Well done!

• shoutingboy

As the man said…

• ck

“For those of you who have lost faith in Yale as a democratic institution because of the suggestion that your actions be policed for the emotional well-being of your peers” clearly you are talking about me. i was actually referring to the incident at the master’s house. i do think the administration should police our actions for the emotional well-being of our peers; if someone dresses up as a native american for halloween and other students feel it offends their culture the dean/master should intervene. we can’t know for sure because there has been no dialogue but i think associate master christakis would agree with this.

what i deemed very sad was that associate master christakis’s email was in some places making points worthy of debate* and in others was very wrong (the “just look away” part you mentioned, in particular), and instead of attempting to determine what was right and what was wrong the approach has been to intimidate associate/master christakis into taking back their views. one very interesting counterargument is that maybe the offended parties can’t address certain injuries – our campus norms probably have little effect in SAE – but that will never be explored because the tack chosen now is not discourse, it’s effectively trying to silence people that don’t agree with you. that is the point of 100 people surrounding (“encircling”) master christakis and demanding he apologize and take back his views while harassing him. that is also the point of having the discussion of the SAE incident/history at the same time as the christakis email; the former delegitimizes the latter and puts it in a conversational realm of “beyond discussion”.

one consequence of this is that it sounds like most people would characterize the email as defending dressing up as a native american on halloween, whereas i’m almost positive that was not actually what associate master christakis was saying (see below, seems like that person has talked to master christakis about what he finds objectionable in costumes, which is probably the same as what associate master christakis does). at this point the actual intended content of the email is meaningless because this incident is no longer about discussion.

* my tl;dr of her email is that some forms of cultural appropriation are okay and some are not (i think this is pretty obvious, e.g. eminem), and those that are murky should not be legislated by the administration but codified as norms by us, the students. this is what she gives as the “topic sentence” at the beginning and end of the email, and it’s what her two examples are about. it is why the email is called “dressing *yourselves*”. it’s the essence of the sari example, which is actually the eminem example in disguise: self-expression via clothing weighed against potential harm from appropriation. etc.

p.s. i would actually really appreciate it if you would reply to this point since i haven’t seen it addressed anywhere.

• whatever

Been a long time since I was in school, or understood modern culture.

Can you explain why some forms of cultural appropriation are okay?

And I mean this sincerely, if you can please tell me why eminem’s is okay (if I understand you correctly), but say, just as an example miley cyrus twerking is not, or of some gay men adopting the speech mannerisms of black women is not.

But in particular to my own ethnic background, is it cultural appropriation for parts for Fiddler on the Roof to be cast to non-Jews? (As an example of what I’m referring to, see Darlene Love’s SNL video “Christmas for the Jews”) Should I be offended with Darlene Love and her video?

Taking that one step further, when Fiddler on the Roof is performed by an all asian cast, is that cultural appropriation of the good kind or the bad kind?

As a cis male who is

+ Jewish
        + poor
        + unemployed
        + short
        + fat
        + older
        + ill health due to a birth defect
        + unattractive
        + single
        + nerd
        + completely uninterested in organized sports (football, basketball, baseball)

Am I privileged relative to you?
        How many people who surrounded Christakis am I privileged to? Please be specific.
        Will AirBNB hosts cancel me, after accepting my rental agreement?

Am I white?

• ck

all good points, thanks for the cogent reply (not sarcastic, i honestly am grateful for the precise questions and lack of ad hominems). i don’t really know how to address the latter part of your question and in general i don’t think it’s constructive/possible to compare the privileges of two specific people. that is, if i take myself and another random other student at yale, it is intellectually worth it to examine *traits* that make me more or less privileged than them, but not usually the whole of each of us. for instance if the other student is black i am more privileged racially (i am white), however if they are also very rich i am less privileged financially (i am not rich). each privilege comes with certain benefits and those benefits are not obviously comparable; there is no conversion of the full extent of whiteness into dollars. they are literally incomparable.

for the second part, i’m not pretending to have some kind of barometer for what kind of cultural appropriation is okay – i think this is part of the original email. but the most credible source of saying whether individual incidents are okay are the people it potentially affects. eminem’s career is okay because the people it could affect – black rappers – think it is okay. dressing up as a native american is not okay because the people it could/does affect – native american – think it is not.

therefore if you and other jews feel that a fiddler on the roof cast composed of asians who clearly have no knowledge of judaism is offensive, at least to the material and intentions of the play (which appear to be jewish but i’ve only skimmed the wikipedia), then it probably is and they should not put on that play with that cast.

the obvious problem with this type of argument is: “but what if people are overly sensitive or unreasonable?” but people tend to not be unreasonable about this sort of things in aggregate. and if many many people are being systematically oversensitive then it’s very likely that there is actually something happening there beyond sensitivity. in the case of the christakis email, just ignoring the content of the email for a second, tons and tons of people were really hurt by it and the christakis’ should (and did) apologize for causing that pain. this does not excuse the actions of the protestors in the silliman courtyard, or say that the christakis’ email was entirely wrong. but they did hurt people emotionally by their actions and the decent thing to do is apologize.

• whatever

When Asians have taken on Fiddler, it is delightful, as how could two cultures be further apart, and yet, Asian performances of Fiddler show how similar they are. It brings everyone closer.

When non-Jews star in Fiddler, I do think, it would be nice to see a Jewish actor playing that part, but she is marvelous and I know she gained something and I look forward to seeing her in the future.

I like to think that that’s what Christians think when they listen to Christmas songs written by Jews like White Christmas, Chestnuts, I’ll be home for Christmas, Santa Baby, Winter Wonderland, Silver Bells, The Christmas Waltz, and many Streisand, Diamond, and other Jewish artists’ Christmas Albums.

> i think this is part of the original email. but the most credible source of saying whether individual incidents are okay are the people it potentially affects.

MANY credible surveys indicate that many if not a majority of Native Americans, First Nations people, Indians do not mind the Redskins as the name of the Washington Football team. INDEED, they are proud of the Redskins and enjoy buying and wearing their clothing.

>i don’t really know how to address the latter part of your question and in general i don’t think it’s constructive/possible to compare the privileges of two specific people.

THAT IS EXACTLY what intersectional feminism and privilege theory tells people to do.

When I was an anthropology minor in the seventies, privilege theory was used to understand the relative differences of groups of people, and never never never used to dismiss one person’s opinion, or shut them down with a “check your privilege”.

Indeed, several times, AIRBnB hosts have looked at my picture and found some convenient reason to cancel on me.

So I literally have no idea who I am privileged with respect to, but I know many people hear “older white cis male Jew” and immediately dismiss anything I have to offer knowing how privileged I am.

• chuckles99

So what it someone dressed up as an American Indian? People dress up a ridicule the Pope, are you protesting that? Yale students are going to have a very hard time adjusting to reality if they think this is bad.

• ChuSez

Precious Flower, I don’t feel your pain.

• http://www.mattmccann.com fat_matt

upset about “tone” and “body language”? YOU are a pathetic baby with a full diaper.

• Jeremy

Oh really? Christakis shouted at the students? How about the black girl who cursed at him and belted out hatred at the man while he took it on the chin? Yeah, about that…

• chuckles99

Her actions are grounds for suspension as “conduct unbecoming a Yale student”.

• ChuSez

Conduct unbecoming a decent person as well.

• http://ᴡᴡᴡ.18sexy.co BillyBilly

Such a special snowflake. You ARE coddled and you ARE over-sensitive, you whiny, entitled excuse for an adult. Many more tears will flow when you enter the real world, where you’ll be required to make your own way, there are no “safe spaces”, and the aggressions are macro not “micro”. This is you: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

• ChuSez

Great comment, great link.
        Thanks.

• Michael Donaghey

“using condescending body language and tone” infinite lols

• ChuSez

Could they get more ridiculous, these cataloguers of imaginary grievances?

• Rocket Racoon

Please explain how Halloween costumes make you feel unsafe…

• Andrew C

They have nothing to apologize for, nor does Yale, nor does SAE. No person has a right to tell other people what to wear. Absurd. Ninjas, Vikings, Native Americans, Romans, Cowboys, bandidos, etc .They’re just silly halloween costumes. Lighten up. Fun/non-racist costumes of Japanese, Norwegian, Italian, Texan clothing at some point. This whining nonsense about “triggers” and “appropriation” is pathetic. Also, SAE was a fire code capacity and no one was turned away for their race.

• chuckles99

You were there and you violated Yale’s code of conduct. The young woman caught on tape–and it has been shown throughout the world–launched into an expletive riddled tirade against a Yale Master. She should be disciplined for that. Yale Admissions also needs to look at who it admits. You are not there to be provided with a “comfortable” environment. You are there to be educated.

• ChuSez

What sensitive little flowers you are. When you leave Yale and enter the real world, my what a shock you’re in for!
      Better stay in school, forever.

• the red pen

This is completely ridiculous and unacceptable. Every student who corned Christakis should be sent to ExCom…if you think that my punishment is harsh, it equates exactly to what these students are asking for. Heads are going to start rolling if this call for free speech turns into non legitimate angry mobs such as this.

• campfire david

I spent 4 hours after this event occurred doing my best to explain to both the Master and the various students that gathered there about what was going on. There was a crowd of people who seemed to listen and appreciate what I had to say and even Master Christakis told me that he was grateful for what I was doing. However, this was not reported. WHY? Was it not controversial enough to make it into print? If you’re going to cover an event at least give recognition to the HOURS of time that we spent discussing what had happened. I want the YDN to understand that this faulty reporting actually hurts people.

• ck

i find this extremely extremely important, can you please elaborate? (i know your opinions mostly from facebook by the way – “long time lurker”.) were you part of the incident, what happened afterwards, what was the general attitude, what were the topics of conversation? the failings of the ydn are legendary but maybe you can fix this one.

• whatever

I may be telling you something you already know, and it seems you are a student, but, sigh, welcome to the “real world” where “laws” about journalism such as Gell-Mann amnesia hold true:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/65213-briefly-stated-the-gell-mann-amnesia-effect-is-as-follows-you

> Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.
      > In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
      >― Michael Crichton

• whatever

>― Michael Crichton

• chuckles99

You should instead educate your fellow students on freedom of speech. As for what YDN reported, this story was carried on all the British television stations as a further example of thought control at American universities.

• peachesorangesapples

He really doesn’t get it, does he…wearing costumes that portray stereotypical depictions of people of color IS offensive. Why? It’s because those stereotypes were created and have been and continue to be propagated by a society that perpetuates a “white framework”. I am extremely concerned that a sociologist of all people is unable to understand how American society has and continues to marginalize people of color–systemic racism is not just about institutions–it is a larger cultural mindset that denigrates people of color.

• td2016

No, it is YOU who doesn’t “get it.” You are free to tell someone POLITELY that you deem him or her to be sporting an “offensive” costume. But you cant’t prohibit such things or expect Yale to do so. Nor can you intimidate or abuse such a person under the guise of expressing your opinion. Maybe you should spend some time thinking about how offensive things like “Che” tee-shirts are to many people, especially in certain minority communities. The list is endless.

It appears a good many students need some basic training in free expression. This means you.

• peachesorangesapples

I hope I’m not the first person to tell you that there are limitations to freedom of speech in American society depending on the context. At a university like Yale, I think we can do better than wear costumes that denigrate students of color.

• td2016

Your hopes of not being the first person to express the thoughts in your reply lie unfulfilled. Nobody else has agreed with you. Perhaps you can have a friend write in.

As I have noted elsewhere on this comments page, central functions and missions of a university are the exchange of ideas and education in a community of scholarship. The University’s purpose and mission is disrupted if expression is abridged. That is a major reason why academic freedom of expression has been painstakingly secured since the Middle Ages. It’s extent is not limitless, but it is extremely broad, generally extending until it’s further reach would abridge the expression of others. But rude and abusive behaviors such as screaming, silencing others (especially University officers), physical intimidation, disruption of assemblies, use of obscenities, trespassing and spitting, disrupt the University’s central purposes and are not permitted.

The right of academic free expression very clearly encompasses one’s right to dress as one chooses for Halloween. Costumery is a well established and paradigmatic form of expression, and the matter is beyond peradventure as much as writing, speaking and painting are paradigmatic forms of expression. Nor does another’s choice of costume abridge one’s own right of expression. That you feel we can “do better” than wearing certain costumes is something you are free to express politely to other members of the university community. But you are not permitted to silence them and the University is not going to do it for you.

On the other hand, you are completely correct that one cannot use free expression as a limitless excuse for whatever one does. For example, free expression is definitely NOT an excuse for rude or abusive behavior within a university, especially a private one. Shrieking obscenities at College Masters, telling them to shut up, spitting on those exiting a conference of which one does not approve, and much of the other rude and abusive behavior that has been too much in evidence in these matters, is clearly not justifiable as free expression.

But another’s wearing a costume of which you do not approve is not rude or abusive behavior, no matter how much you don’t like it or whether you think it is “cultural appropriation” or causes distress to people you favor. That you do not care for what another writes, says or paints does not make it rude or abusive behavior in the applicable senses of those terms, either, notwithstanding the physical scribbling, puffing and smearing that those things involve. The adverse consequences you believe stem from the wearing of certain costumes are concerns that you can freely express. Politely. Not with behavior such as shrieking obscenities or physical intimidation, or by expecting the University to prohibit them. And that remains true despite such concerns having some merit, at least at the extremes. What is without merit is demanding that others be restrained if you fail to persuade them of your position. It will not work to think you can erase the distinction between expression (speech) and behavior (acts) merely by labeling expressions you find offensive as behavior, and therefore subject to limitation. Simple costumery is expression, not behavior.

Don’t raise your voice, create a better argument. It is a central purpose and mission of the University to aid you in doing that kind of thing. But not shouting. Or cursing. Or intimidating. Or trespassing. Or disrupting. Or spitting.

Yale University is not a safe space. I hope I am not the first person to point that out to you, or to point out any of the other admittedly very basic things that constitute this comment.

• ou812

No more pirate costumes. They’re demeaning to one-eyed amputees!

I usually just slick my hair back like Malfoy, slap on my best Thomas Wolfeian J. Press, and gad about louchely, quoting Bill Buckley, G&T in hand – trés outré. Is my appropriating Yale’s stereotyped culture insensitive?

Does my skin tone (natural or enhanced) change things? Does it matter if I choose an air of irony? Of earnestness?

• MyOpinionIsMyOwn

I don’t think anyone disagrees with you that costumes can be offensive. But guess what, you absolutely, positively, 100% have NO RIGHT to not be offended. I’m sorry if that hurts your little feelings.

• Anthony Hyde

Oh cry me a fucking river, you victim. Are you going to ban cowboy outfits as well because they ‘culturally appropriate’ white 19th century Americans from the old west? what about Oktoberfest costumes because they might upset white German beer maids?

• icetrey

Little known fact, a lot of cowboys were black about 25%. One, Bass Reeves was probably the inspiration for the Lone Ranger.

• ChuSez

They are victims, hear them whine.

• Juan Diaz

You are reading way too much into a Halloween costume. I find many Halloween costumes offensive, but freedom of speech and freedom of expression are more important than an offensive Halloween costume. If you are going to be offended by Halloween costumes, then skip Halloween altogether. That is what I do, because I find many of the costumes silly and tasteless for the most part. Stop viewing this as some type of “perpetuation of racism within a white framework.” Halloween costumes are basically a Celtic pagan tradition devoid of any racist roots or undertones.

• Russell O’Brien

It is you that does not understand the basics of what’s going on here. How can you think for a single second that you have the right to ask for a resignation of a man that simply shares his opinion? The girl in the video that yells and swears at this man is ridiculous and I am appalled that no other so called “student” in the video pointed out the obvious flaw in the child’s rant against the professor. You have absolutely NO right to yell and tell somebody what to do. You are making Yale look like a kindergarten school by screaming and not having a DECENT argument and conversation. Hey everybody this guy doesn’t agree with me, he’s wrong and doesn’t deserve to have an opinion!! There are people dying all over the world and you have the time to complain about Halloween costumes? Christ have mercy, grow up children.

• Yale1984

Who is that girl? If she were my daughter, I would be horrified that I brought her up to be so disrespectful and downright threatening in her language, body language (it got scary when she threw off the backpack and got in Master Christakis’ face), and demeanor.

• ChuSez

What an awful person she must be.
          Glad she’s not my kid.

• Mengles

How dare you use the word Christ in your post. I am now offended at your use cis-religious use of a heteronormative patriarchal religion in discourse. You have now impeded my safe place and will have you fired.

• Mike G.

I can’t believe these kids’ parents pay over 47,000.00 a year for their kids to be indoctrinated by crap like this. Their money would better spent sending them to trade school where at least they would learn something useful.

• ldffly

It probably started in high school. You can’t blame Yale for everything. Although I’d like to blame the 1970s vintage, deconstructionist/postmodern movement in the Yale English Department for everything.

• matt10023

Some of them may not pay anything for tuition. If their family’s gross income is less than $65K, they don’t pay a dime.

I’m sure they’ll find a way to complain about that too.

• jon smith

get a passport. you are the most entitled shitstains in the world. minorities in america are the 1% of the world. syria, refugees, rwanda, congo, pakistan, china

leave the fucking country for once, if you already have.. .do it again because you didn’t learn much.

you entitled piece of shit.

• ChuSez

I love Christmas.
        Is that a microaggression?

• jon smith

get a passport. you are the most entitled people in the world. minorities in america are the 1% of the world. syria, refugees, rwanda, congo, pakistan, china

leave the country for once, if you already have.. .do it again because you didn’t learn much.

• PC-Principal

It’s now very common to hear people say, ‘I’m rather offended by that.’ As if that gives them certain rights. It’s actually nothing more than a whine. ‘I find that offensive.’ It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. ‘I am offended by that.’ Well, so fucking what?

You’re going to have a bigger problems than being offended at a halloween costume little girl, the sooner you figure that out the better off you’ll be. Life goes on.

• matt10023

There’s another stereotype – that college students have become intolerant of moderate ideas they don’t agree with, cannot calmly discuss differences of opinion, are very thin skinned, and cannot resolve disagreements themselves.

As an employer, I’d be loath to hire someone like that who cannot work with others and whip themselves into a frenzy over an idea.

• Brendan

The email does not deny that wearing costumes that portray stereotypical depictions of people of color can be offensive (and in fact goes to great lengths to point out that costume choice can be problematic) – the point made in the email was that maybe we should be concerned with an institution that tells people how to dress on Halloween with implied control.

We need to avoid framing the debate as two groups of people – one group who believes ‘these costumes are offensive’ and another who believes they are not, because that is not the case here.

• Rocket Racoon

He gets it, but he also gets that free speech is more important than hurt feelings. Something you and these students at Yale are forgetting.

• Jerrky

With all due respect, you do not get it. Did you read Cristakis’ email? It did not encourage people to wear offensive costumes (if so I would say it was offensive). It simply states that Yale students should tolerate things that make them uncomfortable (like stupid, immature, idiotic and offensive Halloween costumes). Many Yale students have said the Master’s job is to make everyone feel comfortable. They interpret “comfortable” as “free of things that may hurt my feelings/emotions”. What “making everyone comfortable” really means is “the freedom to express ones own opinion in an environment without fear of retribution for what one says.”. This is what a real safe space is. What you want is to be coddled.

When you say, ” He does not get it”, it makes me ask, where are you from and what value system you were raised in? Do you understand that the freedom to express ones opinion is sacrosanct in America?

“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.” Evelyn Beatrice Hall

• chuckles99

He understands that universities are not there to be like “home” but to educate. That includes being exposed to different, and occasionally offensive, ideas. If Yale students cannot deal with a Halloween costume, they aren’t going to survive well in society. And this young woman’s conduct is clearly unbecoming of a Yale student. She should be disciplined but she won’t be.

• jamson64

Grow a pair.

• Tatiana Covington

Well then, don’t look at the costumes, retard!

• MSD

He didn’t say it was not offensive. Besides, Who are you to define what outrageous the minorities and what doesn’t? Have you conducted some kind of a scientific survey to prove Halloween costume that “stereotypes” minorities in this country actually denigrates them, marginalizes them or reinforces systemic racism or is that your own privileged self-righteousness speaking?! You think all this outrage

• Robert Ajolotl

You can’t tell someone what halloween costume to wear, period (and claim to uphold free speech as your highest value as Yale does). You can say “IF you wear this costume some students might be offended by it”, but that’s it (and even that is embarrassing). The original email from the diversity police sounded too prescriptive. It should be stated clearly “wear whatever the hell you want, but an FYI we have learned over the years that some people don’t like this sort of thing”. The whole thing is so idiotic.

• ChuSez

Your comment offends me, censor it twerp.

• ldffly

Those of a certain age, will see this and likely be reminded of Columbia, 1968. Columbia’s troubles were certainly magnitudes more serious than this confrontation. Still the similarity holds in regard to the attitude of entitlement and the intimidating type of confrontation. The 1968 Columbia “student” takeover had its leaders who played Sulla or Robespierre to the mobs, spurring them toward confrontation and takeover. By those adept at emotional manipulation, small groups can readily be mobilized for larger and more destructive ends, as happened at Columbia. I hope that this matter cools off quickly because if a certain type of leader shows up, one that is charismatic, cynical and lacking in respect for the institution of Yale and its embodiment of hallowed practices, the situation could get ugly and destructive very quickly.

• dbr1

For a more objective account of this incident, just watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0&list=PLvIqJIL2kOMefn77xg6-6yrvek5kbNf3Z&index=3

The reality was not nearly so balanced as this article portrays: Christakis was verbally abused by students who opted out of a rational discussion in favor of the tyranny of emotions.

• Meep Byea

I understand anger, but this girl completely screws up her own argument by yelling.

• Marcus

“The conversation soon became shouting as both Christakis and students tried to overpower each other in volume.”

Having watched the video, Christakis never raised his voice. This is a very inaccurate depiction of events.

• davem

YDN journos lie, no surprise, echo-chamber media in training

• ChuSez

Absolutely right. I credit Christakis for maintaining a calm, sensible demeanor while the barbarians howled.

If you’re talking about The FIRE’s videos that’s about 6 minutes out of a conversation that was how long? And I did see Christakis raise his voice to be heard.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvIqJIL2kOMefn77xg6-6yrvek5kbNf3Z

• Squibbs

Apologist.

• Russell O’Brien

This is just so sad and depressing. Yale a so called “prestigious” school is looking more like a preschool thanks to these so called “students”. Besides the obvious issue of the Halloween emails, take a look at the most BASIC and fundamental problem that’s going on here. Every person is entitled to their opinion and freedom of speech is real, so the fact that the professor disagrees with the “children” (for lack of a better word) shouldn’t be taken so harshly and rather should be discussed in a clear and calm manner.

But no, these kids won’t accept a no as an answer and even DEMAND an apology!! I am in disbelief and was speechless throughout the entire video sequence. How is it possible that these kids are the future of the world, when they state a University is supposed to be a “home” and not an intellectual space like it’s intended to be? You go to school to be challenged and learn, if you want a home environment, then GO BACK HOME. I hope this man keeps his job and these “signed letters” for his resignation get shredded as the garbage they are. He was the only one that acted with respect and professionalism, unlike the child in the video.

No idea where you went to college but every college I’ve attended or worked at has been a home to the students who were there and the staff are frequently called upon to act as surrogate parents, whether it’s dealing with a sick kid in a dorm or helping them navigate their academic choices or their interpersonal relationships. Home is where you live and these students live at Yale most of the year, not “back home”.

In order to learn you need to feel that your environment is safe. Some minority students are saying that Yale is failing to create that environment for them. Yale has clearly failed at the very least to provide students who need it with better access to mental health services. Though it appears the administration is failing on multiple fronts if the students feel this disenfranchized.

• Squibbs

I’d expect someone who spent more than a day on campus to be able to type in complete sentences.

• matt10023

So what I read was a demand for an apology and when none was forthcoming, students started screaming at him and there was no need for discussion.

At Yale it seems “It’s my way or the highway” when it comes to discourse.

Keep in mind that there are no allegations that anyone wore a racist or otherwise transgressing costume. Nope. It’s the concept that people could choose to wear something that might offend that has made Yale an unsafe school for some.

If we take this approach to its logical conclusion, freedom of speech of any sort that could cause offense makes Yale unsafe.

That includes sexy cat costumes as well as any idea that touches on a hot-button topic inside and outside the classroom.

• BigStanRutgers

Having watched the video of the spoiled brats screaming at Christakis, it is apparent that getting into Yale no longer even requires a two-digit IQ. Do these little fascists understand that the real world is not a “safe place”? Do they understand that they will not be able to scream and shout at their bosses if and when they enter the work force? Finally, who raised these monsters? Who are the parents that allow their children to act in such an uncivilized manner in public? These children need to be expelled and a lesson needs to be taught regarding respect. Nothing less will earn my trust in our universities.

• BigStanRutgers

Hmm, so in the spirit of censorship rampant on college campuses, my previous comment wasn’t approved? Keep keepin’ it unreal in your “safe space”…

• Andrew C

Who are they to tell anyone how to dress on Halloween and attack Christakis for defending free speech? The frat was at fire code capacity, there was a huge line of people from all races. People need to stop whining about Halloween costumes and nonsense terms like “appropriation” and “trigger warnings.” Vikings, Native Americans, Romans, Cowboys, bandidos, ninjas, etc .They’re just silly halloween costumes. You don’t hear students of Norwegian descent crying because Viking costumes are a stereotype. Or Asians/Texans being offended by ninja or cowboy costumes. Lighten up, relax and enjoy Halloween and your great Yale education.

• John Hutchinson

“You don’t hear students of Norwegian descent crying because Viking costumes are a stereotype.”

That is because the really, really white have the fewest rights to complain of all.

• Peter Tobias

No, the Norwegians snicker about the “dumb Americans” with unhistorical helmets with horns.

• SciLaw

Actually Asians do complain about yellow-face. You seem to be clueless about racial dynamics. Do frats chant about lynching Vikings? Because the OU SAE’s chanted that very thing last year. Are Vikings a negative stereotype?

• Derek_V

Crybullies.

Awesome! I’mma use that one…

“Then step down! If that is what you think about being a @#*! master, then you should step down. It is not about creating an intellectual space! It is not! Do you understand that? It’s about creating a home here! You are not doing that. You’re going against that.”

It is not about creating an intellectual space, the students claim; it’s about creating safe spaces. This is as clear an articulation of students’ desires as they come, and it summarizes everything that’s wrong with the modern college campus. https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/06/watch-students-tell-yale-to-fire-a-staff

• BigStanRutgers

How many times do I have to post something before you stop censoring it?

• mrmaxpowers1

The Yale students upset with Christakis are acting like infants. Embarrassing.

• Hajjster

I thought you had to be smart to get into Yale.

• LudicrousSextus

Wow. I’d love to be the guy who invents the ‘Micro-aggression calming suppository’…

Sounds like it’d be in high demand. Much as remedial English is at American colleges these days…

• kmick

The Salem Witch Trials come to mind. If there is such a thing as reincarnation I can well imagine the screaming, vulgar twit in the video was Betty Paris (age 9, apparently same age as twit), screaming and finger-pointing. The rest of the students (puritans) either stand and watch or do a few shouts of encouragement for said Betty as they stand around to gloat over the spectacle of the burning of the witches. What a waste of Yale time.

• Vail Beach

Never seen it put so plainly before, that Yale students believe free speech flat out equals racism. What a dangerous time we are heading into if the ultimate one-percenters, who will soon assume high positions of leadership in government, business, philanthropy and academia, are poised to take control of this nation with such a warped ideology driving them.

• Peter Tobias

Let’s be fair and replace “Yale students” with “some Yale students”. The majority of Yale student probably didn’t know about this intimidation.

• Vegas Proud Boy

What got me was the quote “it is your job to create a place of comfort and home for the students” Really? Comfort and home? No. He is a teacher. You want comfort and home go home to mommy and daddy so they can tell you how amazing and special you are. Who cares that you dropped out, at least you tried and that’s all that matters.

In his role as Master of Silliman College it seems that it is his job to help the students feel at home. He even says so himself. “I want students in Silliman to feel that they can talk to me at any time, about any subject. I am especially interested in getting to know you as people –- to know about your individual interests, hopes, aspirations, quandaries. As a graduate of Yale College, I have distinct memories of residential life. And as a researcher, my main objective is to learn how communities form and how they affect our lives. I hope to put all this background to use in helping all at Silliman to have a stimulating and fulfilling experience during their years at Yale.”

His wife says “I stand ready to support the Silliman community in any way I can.” They don’t seem to be living up to their own promises.
      http://silliman.yalecollege.yale.edu/people/masters-office
      http://archives.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/95_11/masters.html

Emphasis mine.
      http://yalecollege.yale.edu/campus-life/residential-colleges
      The master is the chief administrative officer and the presiding faculty presence in each residential college. He or she is responsible for the physical well being and safety of students in the residential college, as well as for fostering and shaping the social, cultural, and educational life and character of the college. During the year, he or she hosts lectures, study breaks (especially during finals), and Master’s Teas—intimate gatherings during which students have the opportunity to engage with renowned guests from the academy, government, or popular culture.

• Yale1984

Yale President Peter Salovey said:
        “There is no doubt at Yale that we should have zero tolerance for threats and intimidation. We are committed to maintaing Yale as a place that is safe and free of such behavior. Further, the right to free expression does not relieve us of the obligation think before we speak. That obligation is a responsibility that we willingly assume as members of a community where mutual respect and caring are salient values.”
        –Freshman Address to the Class of 2018
        August 23, 2014

I don’t think the student who shouted obscenities, threw off her backpack and flew into Professor Christakis’ face cares very much for this obligation. Let’s see how Salovey reconciles this loftily delivered speech with the real-world actions of social justice warriors who are not adverse to using intimidation and verbal assaults against those who disagree with them.

I don’t agree with the students’ behavior but you seem to be equating “shouted obscenities” to threats and intimidation. We don’t know if Master Christakis felt intimidated by those students but he was not so intimidated that he left.

I doubt any of the students are going to face repercussions for their actions. I have no idea if they violated any rules in the student handbook but they didn’t physically assault Master Christakis and the college will likely write it off as a reaction to what’s clearly been an ongoing problem not limited to this one email. College administrators who can’t handled a little screaming from a student are in the wrong line of work. As someone who worked for ~10 years in higher ed I have dealt with a handful of ill-behaved argumentative students. You don’t get in trouble for having a temper or being ill-mannered, however ill-advised such behavior is.

• Vegas Proud Boy

Exactly, the PHYSICAL well being of the students. Their PHYSICAL safety.He is not there to protect their mental safety. He is not there to protect them from every opposing view that might shake their preconceived notions about how the world should be. He is not there to coddle them. College is a time of mind expansion and thought provoking. Not censorship and the shunning of anything that doesn’t conform to your world view.

“He is not there to protect their mental safety.”

I’m pretty sure he is. Look up “well being”. The definition is: “the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy.” That’s on Yale’s own website (see my bolded quote). At every college I have attended or worked at it has been the responsibility of housemasters or equivalent personnel (residence directors, etc.) to take care of the physical & emotional well-being of the students. Mental health is part of physical health. You can’t divorce the two. A student with mental health issues is not a healthy student whether it be general stress or something more serious. While I would agree it isn’t his job to shield students from opposing views, it is his job to create an environment in which they feel safe and heard. He and his wife have failed to do that as evidenced by the reports of many students.

• Reggie Anderson

Higher-education is supposed to challenge you. That’s how you broaden your horizons and learn new things.

That IS what higher-education is for, right? for learning? Or has higher-education become a day-care center for rich (aka: privileged) kids?

• politicalcynic

These Yale students represent EXACTLY what Obama was talking about. Privileged university students in Ivy League colleges demanding they be “protected” from offense, coddled to avoid hurt feelings, and protected from things like reality.

They are also using their status as purported “victims” to bully others…”I’m offended therefore I have a right to silence you”. Here’s a reality check: No, you do not.

I would think students at Yale would realize that there is NO Constitutional right NOT to be offended. To the contrary, as the ACLU has recognized, the answer to offensive speech (and yes, even hate speech) is MORE SPEECH. It is NEVER censorship.

How sad to see our colleges, where students used to FIGHT for the right to make political statements offensive to others (do any of these spoiled children even KNOW about the history of flag-burning and draft card burning) have now become the places that are most actively seeking to silence others.

• @protectedspeech

YALE IS A JOKE IF THEY DON’T EXPEL THAT “WOMAN”

• ChuSez

Woman? I doubt it. Child having a tantrum strikes me as closer to the mark.

• ThomasA

If anyone is to blame in this incident, it is the Yale admissions department.

• Clyde_Frog

Gotta meet those quotas!

• Ansley Thomas

Personally, that shrieking harridan at the end of the Lukianoff video made me feel “unsafe”. For a fragile special snowflake, she sure has a set of lungs.

The Left always eats its own, eventually. Polls within the last year suggest that more millenials are identifying as libertarians . . . I think episodes like this explain why. They also explain why this season’s South Park is the best in years. Tell those kids to go work for PC Principal.

• JMZ

Best thing to come out of this comment section is your usage of the excellent word “harridan”. I’ll remember that one.

• delilah

Yale, you need to review our Bill of Rights. And start educating your students on the rights that define our nation. Censorship is becoming a dangerous weapon in this country and it will NOT be tolerated by sane tax-paying Americans. Your students besmirch Yale’s name and embarrass the University.

• jamesgd

yale is a private university. get lost, emily.

• Rodger Lodger

Bill of Rights does not regulate Yale, a non-governmental entity.

• therealjanedoe

These students had better realize they are no longer coddled high school students. Time to grow up and integrate into society. Welcome to society where free speech does exist. However screaming at another adult with an expletive filled rant usually is unacceptable. Did anyone actually wear a costume that could be considered offensive? Or was this just an excuse to act like an infant?

• Clyde_Frog

They don’t need excuses to act like infants. If they don’t like something they just call it offensive or racist and it magically disappears! Kudos to the professor for standing his ground and that student needs to be expelled for speaking to a professor that way.

• scotchleaf

Why isn’t the foulmouthed young woman screaming at the professor named? What spawned this nationwide trend?

• Mc

Give it a few hours and she will be named when she is lauded on talk shows and websites for allegedly standing up to bigotry. She has a bright career waiting for her in a government, lobbying or feminist organization.

• Prince Monolulu

Yale should follow the lead of schools like Caltech and pick students from the 99th percentile of a competitive exam.

No dumb jocks, no dumb legacies, no dumb affirmative action students.

• wbcoleman

College students wear Halloween costumes?

• Peter Tobias

Yes, many student clubs have Halloween parties, and some students dress up. Man, it’s 1 day out of 365.

• chuckles99

I’m curious. This foul mouthed young woman was admitted to Yale. Who do they reject?

• chuckles99

Begs the question, if these are the 8% who get in, what were the unsuccessful candidates like??

• Mengles

“The conversation soon became shouting as both Christakis and students tried to overpower each other in volume.” Nice try but Christakis was completely cordial in answering and never raised his voice. We have videos that show this. Contrast to the girl who threw the F bomb at him.

• Peter Tobias

Thanks to video by phone, the powerful risk today to be called out for their misbehavior – the powerful here are the spoiled students who bring the money to Yale.

• 20WilliamHolder10

This kind of intimidation qualifies as assault – this young lady should face charges.

• Peter Tobias

In the young lady’s world, that might actually be true, if the aggressor were treating her that way, at least, but let’s not lose perspective here: these students are still spoiled children and should be treated as such. No, not twenty minutes time-out in the corner, but a public apology to the victim, before she could get further credits.

• Clyde_Frog

And be expelled for speaking to a professor that way.

• ChuSez

Young “lady”?
      How about screaming young Fascist?

• jamesgd

not in the usa it doesnt.

• Vegas Proud Boy

Looks like the people at the paper are not only no adding new comments, but are deleting them. I came here about 6 hours ago and there were 60 comments now I see nothing has been added since and there are only 59 comments.

• robert99

Had 2 comments deleted or not posted. Much less incendiary than the “involved and relevant” minority girl who was screaming nastiness.

• ChuSez

Free Speech at Yale, just a memory.

• ChuSez

They did more than call him “disgusting”, One overwrought young lady made a perfect fool of herself screaming obscenities at him.
    Political Correctness gone beserk.

• Tatiana Covington

Dr. Christakis, tell them to go to hell.

• Peter Tobias

It’s difficult to tell them that if your livelihood depends on playing nice to them.
      Do those students realize that not their awesome powers of oratory make the administrators bend over backwards, but the cold hard cash they bring to the university? It’s Yale, they shouldn’t be stupid, but then again …

• icetrey

There are thousands of students eager to hand over their cash to Yale. If these don’t like it the next ones will.

• Richard Smith

The irony of this whole debacle: that hysterical, ignorant, uneducated, poorly-raised girl who was yelling profanities at Mr. Christakis did MUCH MORE to enforce whatever “person of color” stereotype she may have resented.

She looked like the award winner of The Jerry Springer Show Worst Protagonists. Nevertheless, Mr. Christakis offered her the courtesy to listen to her without yelling profanities back, without attempting to silence her down.

• Clyde_Frog

She needs to be expelled for speaking to a professor that way. I would have been.

• F150

The students who verbally assaulted this man for his “offensive” whatever other liberal buzzwords are popular these days – well, you need a good come to Jesus.

Its laughable how entitled these brats are. And they are brats. Anyone, anytime they are offended by anything and the sky is falling.

Even President 0bama would tell them to grow up already and to grow a pair. Bunch of babies and my apologies to babies who cry alot, because crying is the only way they can communicate discomfort. These brats never learned another way.

• SciLaw

Yeah, sounds like you’re the kind of person who would let the SAE’s chant about lynching blacks (like at OU) and then blame the black students from complaining. Got it…. It’s up to the black students to initiate the dialogue.

• ChuSez

Is that what happened at Yale?
        I thought it was a petty squabble over Halloween Costumes.
        Are the two things the same in your mind?

• Aquastar

There was no dialogue. Screaming and threats aren’t meant to “open” a conversation but rather shut down one.

They want THEIR agenda or nothing at all.

• Gladys McFibbens

hyperbole much?

• Anonymous YesCapitalism

Lol.

• Thad_J

The meeting was well organized, at least one one side. The crowd seemed to be mostly black. Didn’t the white students get invited? Why wasn’t the meeting held in an auditorium?
    Very strange!

• aaleli

Soros funded.

• MSD

My body is my agency and how I choose to dress it is my right. If you have a problem with how I am dressed please come and have a conversation with me. It is called opening a dialog and being an adult. Imposing your will on others, defining what is culturally appropriate, and then screaming obscenities at professors will not take you anywhere. In fact you have given an arsenal to your opponents to make YOU into an example. It takes a lot of maturity and conviction to change the world, screaming down at a professor who has an extremely valid point and who is ultimately defending your right to free speech as well is not how the world is changed.

• MSD

Also, next Haloween my costume will be, “self-righteous, screaming, immature extreme cultural and identity politics oriented left wing radical”.

• Forsberg

Just go look at all of the press on this and notice how nobody is on the students side on this. This crybaby has done something that nobody ever thought could be done. She got everyone on the internet to agree on something and that something is that she is obnoxious and 100 percent in the wrong.

• http://dreadfulpenny.tumblr.com Melissa E.

These crybabies wouldn’t last five minutes in the real world. Honestly, who is that girl screaming at Christakis and threatening him? I sure as hell hope she was expelled because that outburst had disciplinary action written all over it.

• airh0ps77

white privilege…

• Garden Ridge ✔Gold Verified

Attends Yale yet fails to accurately describe the events which transpired.

6/10 article.

• jamesgd

if you oppose merely being asked to not be a jerk toward others, youre not a champion of free expression, youre just a jerk that cant handle constructive criticism. both sides are equally guilty of trying to censor one another; there just isnt a catchy term like pc to refer to jerks who evidently cant handle being asked to be polite.

• MGlisson

Did you not watch the video? All of this was because of a polite comment to turn away.. if you see something offensive… key word being “See” but this is how she reacted.. The only jerk here would be the crowd of people verbally assaulting the professor over the whatever nonsense entitlement that made them feel offended by what someone else was wearing, when in turn could be done to them just the same..

• jamesgd

i did. she reacted with free expression. apparently thats not whats being promoted here, despite what people claim.

• jamesgd

the students didnt find the comment polite. so they commented impolitely in kind. the fact that you characterize the student speech as “verbal assault” just proves my point: youre not a champion of free expression.

• Clyde_Frog

I somehow thought that the students at Yale would be a little smarter. Obviously not. It doesn’t matter if you’re offended or if you get your little feelings hurt over what someone else is wearing. That doesn’t take away their right to wear it and moreso shows a lack of proper upbringing on their part. If they think they have the right to tell people what they can and can’t wear based on how they feel about it then the person that offended them has just as much right to tell them how to dress as well. If they don’t appreciate freedom they need to move to another country where people are told how to dress.

• MGlisson

Like the Middle East. lol.. that will give them a sense of entitlement.. right into a rock shower and shallow grave by not wearing what they are told to wear lol.

• jamesgd

so you measure intelligence by how little offense people take at things. do you think youre smart, clyde? clue: you arent.

• Clyde_Frog

Lol you’re one of these idiots that gets their little feelings hurt over Halloween costumes aren’t you? Oh you poor little offended baby. Maybe you should blame your parents for not raising you to believe in other people’s rights. Welcome to the real world where you have the right to be offended and offend. But just because you disagree with something means it shouldn’t be allowed huh? That makes it bad right? Because it hurts your little feelings? Aww you poor little thing. Oh and I judge intelligence by how intelligent someone acts so based on your pathetic argument and complete lack of proper grammar that puts you at the far low end of the scale.

• jamesgd

asking someone to avoid being offensive has nothing to do with rights or disallowing anything.

• Clyde_Frog

“Asking someone to avoid being offensive”. Who is to say what’s offensive? You? Because you definitely don’t speak for me. What if I found something offensive that you didn’t? Would that make me right and you wrong? Because that’s your argument. Luckily there’s a little thing called the First Amendment which covers the Right of Freedom of Expression so we don’t have to worry about that. Oh wait! There’s that word Right! I guess it does have to do with someones Rights after all! A persons Rights don’t end where your feelings begin, that’s where they start. If you believed in the freedoms that this country stands for you would be defending peoples rights of expression, even if you disagreed with them or they hurt your feelings, and not be wanting to suppress or change them. And if you’re that easily offended you have deeper seated issues.

• jamesgd

its not about right or wrong, or the 1st amendment. if something offends you, you can ask me to stop doing it. i can ignore you if i want, but you can still ask. nothing wrong with that.

• Clyde_Frog

It is about right or wrong. They have the Right and you’re wrong.

• Phil Ostrand
  • Michael678

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of
    its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under
    robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber
    baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be
    satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us
    without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to
    make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable
    insult. To be “cured” against one’s will and cured of states which we
    may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not
    yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed
    with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

C.S. Lewis,

God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

• Mc

“Several students screamed at Christakis and called him “disgusting.””

They did a lot more than call him disgusting. If he had talked to them that way, the students and the university authorities would have demanded his resignation. But it is guaranteed that none of those foul-mouthed students will be punished in any sense.

• Harry Melline

Then again your side of the argument, in these posts alone, call the students names that get them barred from comments. Names that the Klan uses. So, your argument fails.

The Right always defeats itself. The Left always looks silly. But the Right thrives in their bigotry and that always shows itself.

• ChuSez

Seems that your comment exposes your own bigotry towards people who disagree with you.
        The Klan?
        Seriously? Are you stuck in a 1960 time warp?

• Mc

Harry, do please desist from making a fool of yourself with your straw man argument.

• http://www.thedailydigest.org TheEditor

“Wisdom of youth” LOL

• Audrine

To be fair, that young lady is talking about “creating a home,” what are the statistics of students of different communities admitted to Yale University?
    We want people to act professionally and politely, but that doesn’t grab the attention of how much the campus is still likely to be dominated by white culture.

According to College Board’s Campus Life profile (https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/yale-university), 43% of the student body is white, the largest single race, the other 53% are classified into 6 different races, 25% of which are distinguished as “Ethnicity Unknown,” “Two Or More Races,” and “Non-Resident Alien,” — nothing good/bad, just how history and communities play out.

However, how much a sense of home do you think there is for them, a significant percentage still best categorized as a kind of ‘Other’?

A home goes beyond minorities not being at risk for being assaulted. To think it perfectly “not life-risking” as the justification for cultures to possibly be parodied in Halloween costumes reveals poor integration with realities outside of the prestigious institute.

Hard lines may not be able to be enforced for such gray areas as what garb constitutes a parody of a race/culture, but why not, at the very least, couldn’t it have been discouraged?

The professor intended to be supportive, but he doesn’t know enough of how to do that. He’s trying, but if the university desires to aide a progressive transition to support its diverse student body, forums need to be improved for dialogue.

Hold a formal round-table talk instead of a standing-in-the-street “say what you want” occurrence.

If the professor’s going to stand in the middle of campus without a better organized talk for everyone to speak, be prepared for very emotional backlash.

His email only offered a defense of “not trivializing.” Many comments compliment him for good intentions and professionalism, never critiquing is he is effectual.

That explosive-expletive-filled young woman is mad because his Democratic email betrays a lack of knowing, a naive effort of equalizing, and the sad truth of not being able to listen to what he may not have experienced.

The majority of the comments I have read below are critical her behavior in decor. Tragic, that less say something about the central issue at hand.

• MGlisson

Of course.. someone has to bring racism or race talk into the conversation.. This is more uneducated nonsense. When people learn.. that racism isnt a jacket that only fits white people.. That will be the first step taken towards destroying racism as a whole. White culture? What is white Culture? I wonder what Google has to say about what White Culture is… —– Ok.. So white culture is everything from Cartoons.. To Black on white racism? o and Alf too?? Man Yale College grounds must be completely insane.. Wow.. and if youre worried about student body being 43% White.. Thats probably because there is 200 million white people in america… 38 million black people in america.. 54 million hispanics in america.. so it shouldnt be to shocking that there is more white people in an area, but self centered people tend to lack the research of information for their claims.. just like saying that minorities have a higher risk of being assaulted… when FBI crime Data Base says black on white crime is 5 to 1… And considering whites out number blacks 200 million to 38 million.. That would be 25 black on white crimes to 1 white on black crime if the population of both were equal… Im sick and tired of people acting as if white people are the problem in this country. I could live on a island in the middle of the Atlantic and still be a RACIST WHITE DEVIL. For crying out loud.. Youre in fucking YALE!!! Not some Tech School..but from what youre saying, there is more racism at Yale then the ghetto poor college i go to ITT. Where in the slums being surrounded by people at the same pay grade/level and lacking the “sense of entitlement” makes us more peaceful i guess..

• ChuSez

“That explosive-expletive-filled young woman is mad”

The only thing I agree with you on.
      I hope she gets the psychiatric care that she so desperately needs.

• ns1984

Traditional First speech analysis uses the construct of time, place and manner in evaluating regualtory schemes and perhaps that analysis could be helpful here, while not strictly applicable, because I am not sure anyone on either side should be yelling “free speech” or toughen up to speech you don’t like based on what happened here. The University’s interest in uninhibited free speech and tolerance of offensive ideas is greatest in its classroom and educational settings. Halloween parties? I am not sure where Halloween parties fall on the educational matrix. So time and place tell me that the Free Speech shouters need to quiet down. I think we are looking at community conduct, not strictly educational matters, which means that “manner” becomes more important–the tone and conduct of people should be viewed, not just their right to “free” speech. Clearly, the young woman needs to be counseled on tone and speech appropriate to building and maintaining a community, but so should the students wearing costumes that portions of the community would find offensive. All of this should have been done privately, as the first transgression against the community was by the costume wearers. They should have been disciplined or spoken to, at a minimum. People offended by the costumes should have been told it was a disciplinary matter and that disciplinary matters are private and that Yale will deall with all disciplinary matters in private, without recourse to public meetings. Private meetings with unhappy students or groups could be held but allowing this to boil at a public meeting is absolute nonesense. As for the Master/Asst. Master, they are both contractually obligated to help build a great community at Siliman, and right now, they seem to be in breach of that obligation. I would suggest they get off their high horse, give up on the email as a method of worthwhile communication and start working the doors and phones and try building trust in their first year. Listening probably works better than lecturing during the first year on any job. At a minimum,wouldn’t we expect Masters and Assistant Masters at Yale to deal with issues with some discretion? I think discretion would require not sending out lecturing emails and holding public discussions about matters that are essentially disciplinary. The Master/Assistant Master were extremely heavy handed here, as were all the clumsy students, and I can only be grateful that for many years Siliman had Dean Flick, who had the humor and good sense to defuse problems like this, rather than let them become the typical Ivy League hot house moment. The students are not adults, but it is University and not home. All of these factors should be balanced by administrators with discretion. While we should hold students to high standards, we should not be surprised or disgusted or cynical when they fail to be. We should deal with them as individuals still learning to be independent members of a diverse community. Let’s use some discretion Yale, and stop contributing to the hot house culture where these learning opportunities are played out in the campus or national media instead of a dean’s office. And while we are meeting in offices, let’s talk about whether students should be allowed to participate in groups using the Yale affiliation when those groups blatantly refuse entry to an event based on race. Let’s look at some of the more notorious conduct of the past few years, the frat chants on the freshman quad of a few years back, the terrible accident when an inexperienced driver killed an innocent bystander while hauling drinks to a frat party, and decide what Yale is standing behind and what it isn’t. Leadership starts at the top and extends through the Masters, and right now, it appears very discombobulated.

• MGlisson

Free Speech… IS your constitutional right… Not something that is merit by a community or by law. If a School claims the policy is this and that.. to protect students from Verbal Harassment. That is one thing. But Your 1st amendment is not only about speech.. But expression. So if someone wants to go to a Halloween party dressed as a douche bag for all he or she cares.. its their right. That would be the reason the professor would be telling people who are Offended by the sight of something… To turn their sensitive eyes to a different direction.

• ChuSez

You check your Freedom of Speech at the door when you enter Yale?
      Instead you get a Constitutional Right Not to be Offended?
      No deal, I like the First Amendment just as it is.

• david

well said!

• PeB

Sigh. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with this. Freedom of speech is about government intrusion, not a private organization like Yale. Why is this is so hard for people to understand?

• Bruce Brown

The whole point of the ‘house system’ and of college in general is that education does not end when class time ends. The Halloween party is as much an educational event as the graduate seminar. The email from the Asst Master was clear on that point. Your pseudo-legalistic popsturing about first speech notwithstanding, your analysis of this issue is legally deeply flawed. The time/space/manner restrictions are designed to FOSTER,not inhibit a free exchange of ideas. In fact, colleges that place time/space/manner restrictions have uniformly been found against in court.

• ns1984

Take a look at Yale’s disciplinary code for housing. The Masters have disciplinary authority. They should not have been proclaiming their views on matters that could end up as possible disciplinary matters before them. They overstepped their bounds. They need to listen and learn their jobs instead of pontificating with midnight emails to hundreds of students.

Are ideas about Halloween costumes really the nub of the Yale education eperience? Not at all. It is not reasonable to suggest equivalence between Halloween parties and graduate seminars. A Halloween party is a Halloween party; it is intended to be an optional social experience where non Yale students can attend and nothing of substance is discussed. It is not a graduate seminar, where ideas, sometimes offensive ideas, are dissected. Yale should be much more concerned about protecting the free speech in the graduate seminar than at the Halloween party. Many students may not attend a Halloween party, many have out of town sport obligations or jobs; does that mean they did not recieve an education because they did not attend? The concern about speech for all matters Halloween is way overstated. This ridiculous conflict is really more about conduct, and if I were Salovey, I would discipline the spitters, the screamers and the Silliman masters. None of them understood their role, their obligations to Yale and to each other.

• soundnfury

Sorry, but I’m having a hard time finding sympathy for Yale faculty here. When you indoctrinate your students with your leftist dogma about social justice, speech codes, hate speech, trigger warnings, safe space and the like, you set yourself up for this kind of ridiculousness. These little Frankensteins are no longer just Halloween characters designed to scare people & ask for candy. They are your creation, and they are coming for you. Sow the wind; reap the whirlwind.

• Bill

It sucks when you trip and fall back into a pile of your own $hit.

• Harry Melline

Spoken with the gentility of the Right. Funny how all the effort that your fellows put into making solid argument falls apart when your true self stones through with the vulgar and racist language that is and always has been part of your homes.

?
          A) Vulgar? Perhaps. But “Bills” language was far less “offensive” than the shouting young woman used against Christakis — and he obscures it, albeit slightly.
          B) “Racist?” How, exactly?

“You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means.”

• ChuSez

Racist, n. All purpose epithet tossed about by leftists till it has lost all meaning.
            See, also, Fascist.

• MGlisson

Lol… Nicely Done.

• Harry Melline

See how the Right pats themselves on the back. The encouragement leads to comments like this, which show their true colors:

“This is what happens when obama’s daughters are not jerked out of their chairs and slammed face first into the cement.

We will rue not doing this more often, America.”

Yeah, I think the students have a point. You are a problem for America,

• NYAttorney

I don’t see that comment in this thread — stick to the merits of this article and controversy.

• jemmy

You’ve got to be trolling, right?

So, we must apologize and do a rug dance every time some spoiled social justice cry bully screams in rage or spouts crocodile tears, because some high school girl who is poor and poorly raised thought disrupting a class to the point of needing the police was a good idea? Maybe you’d like to bring in the topic of kittens at the animal shelter, too?

• Carabec

Perhaps incidents like this wil awaken academia to the monsters they are creating. A Civil Society can not continue when we teach our children that Right to be Offended is Greater than Freedom of Speech and Thought.

• Clyde_Frog

Hey! You can’t insult Frankenstein like that! That hurts my little delicate feelings! Take it back you meany!

• Debbie

If the screecher fails to keep her word about leaving the school and Yale fails to expel her, it seems to me that Yale will be liable for damages should the professor sue over the creation of a hostile work environment.

I’m a big fan of free expression, but nobody should be required put up with such aggressive verbal assaults on the job — not even from a paying customer. If the situation were reversed and professor treated a student/customer like that, there would definitely be consequences for him even if he had tenure.

• Bill

How can we hand over the reigns of this country to the next generation when they have no concept of what freedom is?

PC groupthink will kill this nation and usher in a totalitarian regime someday . . . soon!

• Brian Coyle

They talk of insensitivity: if they could turn their eyes on theselves and look, they’d discover unmerited pride, hot-tempers, and judgementalism. But here’s the thing. The issue is trivial. The idea that there’s something criminal in reminding students that free expression must balance restrictions on insulting costumes is absurd.

But professors and administrators must bear with these fools, pretending they’re as self-important as they feel. These students know neither the suffering poor, the adminstrator’s burdens, or themselves. They will waste hours and days of professors’ time. Yet if they sense insult, they condemn patience and demand voice or exit.

Listening to them talk infects the mind, like listening to Trump.

• 1Connman

A few hours in an ISIS prison will educate them better than Yale will.

• charleslynn

A fascist state forms before our eyes.

And yet many consider Hillary a lock… “Four more years!”

• Aaron Talley

a tiny miority of over sentive people and you think that fascism is forming?moron. cant wait to see that parody,stalin the pacifist vegan .

• Clyde_Frog

Wow look at that excellent grammar. You must attend Yale.

• MGlisson

Lol… She should write a essay on the 1st amendment for her showmanship of stupidity or be suspended. Verbally attacking with a threatening presence of a professor that stands up for the rights of the people, that would be all people.. even her rights to be a douche bag, (Dropping the backpack, What? He doesn’t agree with your uneducated nonsense so you are gonna make him?) Ever Notice how these crazy people who care so much about their comfort don’t care about other peoples comfort? “SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!” Lol.. Childish.

• Clyde_Frog

Suspended? She should be expelled for cursing out a professor.

• Aquastar

Well..well…look what the little monsters the political correctness crowd created are doing.

Turning on the very masters who created them.

And over the most trival of possible slights..a costume that MIGHT offend them IF they even saw it.

Pardon me but I am having a hard time feeling any sympathy.

But I am getting a good chuckle.

• Reggie Anderson

Rather than launching invectives at the students themselves I suspect the more logical question that people ought to be asking is who is it that is pushing these ideals into their heads? Who is making them feel fearful of the “other” and who is nurturing these authoritative impulses to destroy without question?

• Rod Carveth

As an alum (’77), it is said to see how intolerant students have become at my alma mater. I am now withholding future contributions until sanity is restored.

• Azelina

The behaviour of the girl in the video was hypocritical. She is objecting to discrimination by hurling abuse at someone. What did she achieve for her cause by cursing and swearing? Is it OK to combat discrimination with abuse? Isn’t this a double-standard? In all of her rant, she did not articulate one well-reasoned statement about her objections. What did she achieve? If you want to be taken seriously, you should behave like an adult.

I also don’t understand why she told the Master that his wife had no right to send the email. The email was not abusive, unlike her language. The email expressed an opinion– perhaps that opinion was wrong, but the email did not force people to share that opinion. If she felt the professor was not fulfilling her obligation by sending the email, she could have organised a petition, or written a response that addressed all the students. How is it fair to turn up with a massive posse on someone’s doorstep, intimidating your opposition to the point where they are unable to speak, or respond to your criticisms? The more appropriate way to do this would be to stage a protest with well articulated statements about what you are fighting for and which the university authorities can respond to. Furthermore, I hardly think it’s fair to confront someone about an email written by their wife. What did it have to do with him?

I’m following this story from the UK and I’m disappointed that one of the leading universities in the world produces students who think that they have no obligation to express their views in a well reasoned and respectful way. She says that the email will put people off applying to Yale– her childish tantrum, her screeching, her swearing, her demands that everyone shut up and listen to her has put me off Yale for life. And I was thinking of applying there. If I go to seminar at Yale and express an unconventional opinion, will I be told to shut up? Moreover, I say all this as someone who does not agree with every statement that was written in the email she so strongly objects to. She has achieved nothing. She could have arranged a meeting with this man’s wife and explained her objections. If she had been reasonable, people may have listened to her. I doubt anyone will listen to her now, other than the huge entourage of bullies she assembled to verbally hijack someone outside his office.

I also feel that this issue is muddied by the lack of detail in the coverage surrounding it. Can someone please explain the kinds of Halloween costumes that students are protesting against? Halloween is not as big of a deal in the UK and so I don’t have much of a sense of the offensive costumes that are out there. It’s very easy for many different kinds of dress to be interpreted as offensive, so I would be interested to know more about the dress that the students are objecting to and the statement that it makes.

• chizwoz

Your second sentence is pretty much the definition of Social Justice Warrior.

• jemmy

Remember, though– you’re not supposed to ‘tone police’ her. As an oppressor whose words violently threaten her, you don’t get to tell her not to scream from her lived terror. /s

Halloween costumes here have become a battle line in the culture wars. The students are protesting against Mexican costumes (sombrero, etc.) and American Indian costumes. These look like mostly black students protesting here but it highly unlikely that any Yale student goes in blackface for Halloween. The costumes themselves are usually a lazy or poor approximation of traditional cultural wear (it is Halloween, after all) and aren’t meant to ridicule. But, social justice warriors see it as cultural appropriation, so they would protest now matter how accurate the costume was. Similarly, they rage at hippie white girls that get henna tattoos or wear a bindi. We had one university here that had weekly themed lunches in the school cafeteria and they were forced to cancel Mexican food day for the same reason.

Sadly, the more prestigious the university here, the more likely you are to run into things like this. If the school is highly geared toward STEM you’ll see it much less. If it’s a liberal arts school or program, forget it. On the other hand, more people are pushing back now so you could be part of that. Believe me, it’s not just a US thing. It will be in the UK full force, shortly, based on the stories I see about your feminists and people like Mustafa Bahar.

• Azelina

Absolutely. I didn’t mean to imply this kind of thing wasn’t present the UK– it’s far more rampant here, if anything. But I expected more from an institution like Yale. I’m a Cambridge alumna and I honestly don’t think this would happen in my alma mater (that being said, there are plenty of other injustices at Cambridge that you won’t have at Yale). There’s less of a focus on pastoral care at Oxbridge– you really are expected to organise your own events independently and there’s little input, if any, from the university authorities. Part of this is because we have a collegiate system. The university is made up of 31 colleges– small communities that host the teaching and social gatherings of their students– like miniature boarding schools. There are very few university-wide gatherings. Each college has it’s own Junior Members Association: an elected committee of students who are in charge of overseeing social activities. These events have to be approved by the fellows, but most of the running of things is done by the students. If you object to the way an event is run– you take it up with your student body, not your professors. These things are decided through student debate.
        I think the professor made an important point when she said that the students should decide, as a body, what they wear. This is part of taking on adult responsibility when you go to university. However, I didn’t agree with her argument that we should respect the right of others to be offensive and immature. Yes, free speech gives people that right– but we also have the obligation to be responsible citizens and create a society where we protect the vulnerable. If I was holding a private Halloween party and someone told me they were going to come wearing something offensive, I’d ask them to change out of respect for the other people there. I don’t agree with encouraging juvenile behaviour as part of the “growing up” process. Part of the university experience should be encouraging a social awareness of the effects of your behaviour on others and helping people to grow and develop.
        Thanks for giving me some context about the Halloween costume debate. What’s ironic about this is that if you look at the history of Halloween as a festival, it’s actually offensive to Christians. It occurs on the Eve of All Saint’s Day and was originally a festival that commemorated the communion of the dead. The demonic overtones it has taken on in Western culture (skeletons, devils etc) could be viewed as extremely offensive to a practising Christian. Personally, I don’t do anything on Halloween for precisely that reason (I’m Catholic). However, I wouldn’t take offense at someone else celebrating Halloween in this way because I understand that the festival has taken on a cultural significance in our secular society that deviates from its original purpose. Basically, I understand that the people wearing those costumes are not wearing them as a gesture of offense and that, to them, they hold a different cultural significance than they do to me. I take a similar approach to the Bonfire Night festival we have in the UK on November 5th. This is a celebration of the death of Guy Fawkes: a recusant Catholic who plotted to burn down the Houses of Parliament and who was consequently arrested for treason and burnt alive. Here in England we have a fireworks display and burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes on a bonfire. Again, as a Catholic, it’s not a festival I attend– but I wouldn’t want to outlaw it. It commemorates something that happened four-hundred years ago and has just become a regular festival in our country’s calendar. More than anything it’s a celebration of our monarchy and parliamentary system and most people wouldn’t stop to consider its historical link to the persecution of Catholics for many hundreds of years. It is no longer intended to celebrate the persecution of Catholicism and has taken on a new cultural meaning and significance that, even as a Catholic, I’d be reluctant to irradiate.
        Just some thoughts– I think you have to consider the cultural significance of a costume, how it is worn, and how it is meant to be read. Personally I’d make a distinction between blackface (something that continues to have offensive connotations in our culture) and someone wearing a sombrero without giving much thought to how they’re wearing it and without intending to give offense. But others may disagree with me…

• Carabec

The student is uncomfortable and the Professor is not making her feel at home. This display by this group is hard to fathom. She and her ‘fellow attackers’ surely have insulted and offended the Professor far more than his wife’s email could have ‘offended’ them. It was outright a Verbal Assault, verbal abuse. How are she or her fellow ‘attackers’ going to survive in the Real World after graduation? At Yale they want mommy and daddy or a babysitter to nurse and protect them.

Short hop from Red Guard to Brown Shirts, from OFA to MVSN (“The future is now”):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O1x8jrt8Tc

• Debbie

Unfortunately, the screecher will survive by finding a cushy job spewing mockable drivel in the sociology department or the bloated diversity & censorship bureaucracy of some “progressive” campus, or in a government bureaucracy.

The tendency to have childish tantrums when one reads or hears something that one disagrees with isn’t nearly as much of an impediment to career advancement in academia and the public sector as it is in the private sector.

• chizwoz

I wonder how long before parents and employers start wising up and avoid send kids or employing kids to/from universities that allow this ideological cancer that’s hijacked the left-wing.

• fire lion

All it would take is what is happening now: As the economy slides into the gutter, employers will have to start hiring people who can work hard and not tell you the their 5 favorite feminists. They will realize that people from these
      liberal wacko universities are only good for the inevitable lawsuit, cus they don’t a CIS dolphin bathroom.

• jamesgd

perhaps theyll instead send their kids to right-wing universities, bastions of free expression that they are. e.g., liberty university.

• Clyde_Frog

Kind of like the one you flunked out of where they teach you to begin sentences with small letters?

• jamesgd

if i had flunked out of “where they teach you to begin sentences with small letters” then i wouldnt begin my sentences with small letters.

• Clyde_Frog

Then keep using poor grammar and showing the world how stupid you are. It makes no difference to me.

• jamesgd

no, ill just expose you and your dumb trash talk instead.

• Clyde_Frog

OK you just go ahead and expose me there genius lol.

• jamesgd

aleady did.

• twoedgedsword

Actually… that was a clever response, albeit every bit as useless as the criticism.

• twoedgedsword

“right-wing universities” …. and you came up with one.

So James…. I get the snide one-liner thing. Can you give me serious (meaning don’t make every laugh or eyes roll) evidence of all the “institutional racism” on college campuses please? Something deeper than “Barack Obama and Michael Moore and protesters say so”. Give me incidences that haven’t been discredited. You know like “poop swastickas” that never actually happened except in some bomb-throwers mind. Don’t try to plagiarize from that copy of Rules for Radicals your favorite prof gave you either… I’ve read it and I’ll call you out I promise.

Then James, give me some kind of serious noteworthy even anecdotal information about Liberty U that indicates they deserve your derision? What “anti-free expression” activities is that student body engaged in James.

Frankly James, you sound every bit the bomb-thrower Jerelyn Luther (now in hiding apparently) is.

Waiting for you to back up your smugness James – not holding my breath you’ll come up with something less transparent as one of the “offensive” halloween costumes though.

• jamesgd

i dont believe there is institutional racism on college campuses in general. im remarking on the hypocrisy of conservatives.

liberty has many limits on free expression and association in their on-campus living guide, which is published online. you can find similar restrictions on other conservative campuses, like bob jones, grove city, etc. google “conservative universities” and then look up their rules–available on their web sites. theyre generally far worse than yale.

• ChuSez

If Yale cared about diversity, the first thing they would do is eliminate Legacy Admissions, which invariably benefit white students from wealthy families.
    Affirmative Action for the privileged and connected, a gross inequity.

• david

Great point ChuSez. Totally unfair and a gross inequity. Seriously though, that is what you think is relevant to this gross example of students not being able to deal with uncomfortable opinions?!

• 1Connman

Sounds like racism to me!

• Truth

Why should they care about diversity? Things should be based on merit/virtue…not your skin color…

At least that is what Martin Luther King said…I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

• Bob

No. Looked to me like he was protecting her from an angry mob.

• Taran Wanderer

The girl yelling at Christakis is an example of how not to behave in an argument. She should receive some kind of disciplinary action for engaging in overtly aggressive behavior that reflects poorly on the school.

• david

absolutely. A disgrace to herself and the university

• Kreton’s Love Child

What’s at least as unnerving as the abusive student is the prof’s reaction. While it may just be due to admirable restraint, I suspect his silence may well have been because he feared for his safety. The movements of some other students suggest they were poised to physically assault the prof if he dared argue with the girl. I hope their parents are proud of their privileged little brats’ exercise in thought control on a level that rivals scenes from “Village of the Damned”.

• Ralphiec88

He was old enough to recognize that she had lost control and he did admirably. While the topic is serious, her reaction is just a variation of the Mac ‘n Cheese kid. The internet is forever though, that video will likely come to haunt her.

• churchy lafemme

his demeanor appears to be a mixture of admirable maturity and a dismaying fear of offending these exquisite flowers, with its consequent damage to his image and career. The smugness of his attackers show they have learned this.

• Jeff P
  • Jack dog

Spend 250k to turn your kid into a left wing psychopath with the empathy of a Stalin! No thanks!

• jamesgd

your kids would only get into university of phoenix. you have nothing to worry about.

• Jack dog

Really? I have two in college actually Big Ten school and a Private Catholic U. Thanks for caring. Tool.

• jamesgd

wow. imagine that. Big Ten school and a Private Catholic U!

• Craig

Not bad – insult someone you don’t know, his kids and everyone who goes to a big ten school or a private catholic university, all in one short post. Tool is right, but charitable.

• jamesgd

oh, so its only ok to insult people you dont know if youre talking about yale. got it.

• Jaan Q

I’m old enough to remember a time when people of color couldn’t speak their opinions or they would get yelled at and cursed out for being “uppity” over even the smallest perceived injury by hateful bullies. This just goes to show that we’re truly all alike.

• Zxer91

Reaping the harvest of what PC liberal professor’s like Christakis and his wife have been planting for years. Enjoy !

• http://www.halginsberg.com Hal Ginsberg

The behavior of the student who shouted and cursed was not what it should have been. Likewise, the demand for an apology was inappropriate. That said, the Master’s responsibilities include “the physical well being and safety of
    students in the residential college, as well as for fostering and
    shaping the social, cultural, and educational life and character of the
    college.”

Clearly, there is a sense among many Yale students of color that Christakis has not been looking out for their “well being” and that the social and cultural life and character of Silliman is not friendly to them. Erika Christakis’s email showed sensitivity to the rights of affluent whites to wear blackface on Halloween but ignored the understandable pain that such displays may inflict.

The President made the right decision to have a sit-down with African-American students so the University can implement better ways to ensure that a small minority of students easily distinguishable by their skin color are better welcomed by all within the campus community.

• Debbie

Short of a pirate costume featuring a real sword worn by a nutburger intent on running somebody through, Halloween costumes can’t cause actual pain. You might be confusing the hurt feelings and/or feigned indignation of some fragile flowers who imagine themselves to be fierce warriors of social justice with “pain.”

Erika Christakis’s email also affirmed the right of affluent Blacks such as the shrieker in the video (and everybody else) to wear whatever Halloween costume she wants. The shrieker thanked her by subjecting her husband to workplace harassment.

I’m a Chicana, and I can’t even imagine being so fragile and thin-skinned that I would get the vapors over somebody dressing up like Pancho Villa, much less by somebody merely saying that doing so is nothing to get the vapors over.

You humorless little commissars and foot soldiers of political correctness have largely won your revolution on college campuses, so now you’re moving on to the purge-the-insufficiently-radical phase of your self-parodying “struggle.” Those of us on the outside will mock you and eat popcorn while we wait for your movement to collapse under the weight of its overreach and utter silliness. The Onion could do straight reporting on the goings-on in academia nowadays without missing a beat or a chuckle.

You are welcome to find affluent Yalies dressed as migrants workers or Speedy Gonzalez funny and uncondescending. Sad that you lack the ability to empathize with those who are less “understanding”.

• Debbie

I can empathize with people in pain. But whether a costume is funny, unfunny, condescending or un-condescending, it cannot cause actual pain — not even to those pathetically fragile little flowers who need (or pretend to need) smelling salts and pacifiers when they read or hear something they disagree with.

You are welcome to empathize with spoiled rich brats who are so eager to achieve the coveted status of victim that they resort to feigning a case of the vapors and having temper tantrums over the mere suggestion that maybe they shouldn’t get the vapors or have temper tantrums over Halloween costumes. I cannot — I can only mock them.

Exhibit A in the brief that America is becoming an ever meaner more confrontational and less understanding country.

• twoedgedsword

CIRCULAR ARGUMENT ALERT!!!!!!
            Let me guess.. you are a career student. Come on…. I nailed it didn’t I?

• Clyde_Frog

If you don’t understand freedom you need to move to another country. Just because someone gets their little delicate feelings hurt doesn’t mean someone else should have to change just for them. You have the right to offend and be offended in the real world and your feelings have absolutely nothing to do with it. This generation is a joke. Thinking people should change just for them because they’re offended or got their feelings hurt? Welcome to the world of being an adult now get over yourself.

• twoedgedsword

Nice strawman argument Hal. Nobody’s dressing like a “migrant worker” or “speedy Gonzalez” or any other nonsense you concoct in your hyper-sensitive mind. We all know what the FACTS are Hal. If a college has a “Mexican Night” and makes tacos THAT is deemed “insensitive”. ? . ? What? Good grief!

All my mixed European, West Asian, American Indian heritaged mind gets out of it is I’m missing out on some food here. And I like tacos buddy so I’m not exactly pleased with the results of your allergies projected onto me.

Debbie’s point sailed squarely over your head. Let me paraphrase “Excuse me white man, but please don’t exert yourself putting up a defense for entire cultures as if you speak for them. Oh and by the way…. do you not feel a little stupid being a white guy speaking up for a Chicana? I mean, does the irony of that condescension… that I desperately NEED your help… really go past you?”.

I heard Debbie… loud and clear. Now go find a mirror and deal with THAT guy and his foibles before you take on the foibles YOU perceive in the rest of humanity.

Oh – and take the time to read the original email cuz, dude… THAT was the original message: “stop being such a sissy” but if you insist on being a thin skinned weakling stop insisting the rest of the world needs to provide you company for your misery.

• Squibbs

“Clearly, there is a sense among many Yale students of color that Christakis has not been looking out for their “well being” and that the social and cultural life and character of Silliman is not friendly to them.”

Yes, she mistakenly assumed that the students were emotionally prepared to determine for themselves which Halloween costumes were appropriate, and which were not. She learned her lesson.

Congrats to the Yalies for fighting for their right to be treated like 6 year olds. These idiots are parodies of themselves.

• Debbie

If somebody posts the mailing addresses of Yale safe-space rooms, perhaps people will send donations of pacifiers, teddy bears and security blankets for these poor delicate children.

• twoedgedsword

Give me a break Hal. If you’re paying even loose attention to this
      fiasco as with the ones prior, once you dig down into what should be
      mountains of evidence of “institutional racism” you find none.

That email was nothing more than an old saying that caring moms told their kids in love “Stick and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me”.

Unfortunately, people like you Hal have decided that skin should be thin.

Hal said: “Erika Christakis’s email showed sensitivity to the rights of affluent
      whites to wear blackface on Halloween but ignored the understandable
      pain that such displays may inflict”

Busted Pal and you’re not getting away with it. You obviously didn’t even read the email texts you’re commenting on. Then you have the gaul to slip your would-be pejorative “affluent white” in there. “Black face” didn’t appear in that email that came from talking points.

How pathetic. Guess you’re studying Rules for Radicals Hal? Get the facts first before you fire up your faux lectures.

• Ralphiec88

I would hope that the reason some left “disillusioned” was the verbal assault on a professor being perpetrated by someone claiming Christakis should be providing a “safe space” and a “home” while surrounding him and screaming obscenities at him outside his home.

• Brainiac3397

They want college to be home, and the administrators to be their parents.

• 1Connman

This is all happening under the reign of ObaMao.

• S. Valenti

As a student from the 1960’s – I thank God that social media did not exist and that communication was not as rapid as it is today. Youtube enshrines that young woman’s tirade (that I might have supported back then, but find cringeworthy today). I wonder what she’ll think of it in years to come. I wonder if we’re all prepared for the backlash that’s sure to result from this incident and that at the University of Missouri. Be careful what you wish for!

• Renniewalker

Great point! I am sure this was not the first time a student swore and yelled at heads of higher instutitions. Remember Abbie Hoffman! Death to anyone over 30 – now those people are over 65 years old! However, there is one huge, yes, huge difference. Back then immediate action would have been taken and the student would have been expelled. Unfortunately, humans ares lousley with knee-jerk reactions. People cannot seem to find the “middle ground”. We always seem to go from one extreme to another. Now dangerous precident happens much too often; dangerous precident was set when the Professor just stood there and did nothing. Dangerous precident is set each time we sacrifice the hundreds for the one!

You last line was the best!

• twoedgedsword

One thing irks me about your post. I’m old enough to get your nostalgic 60’s campus reference (too). But besides social media changing the playing field for this student, you forgot to consider how it changed the field for two professors.

The girl embarrassed herself and will get a pass. It’s not going to negatively effect her career-wise. But for the Christakis…..

• I Flatus

And soon, employed, middle and lower class Americans will have the privilege of paying for their tuition.
    What a great country! We get to pay for our bosses’ education.
    Our speech is offensive, but our money is good.

• Altosk

Smart people go to technical college and learn a skill. These people become Republicans. Idiots go to universities and learn how to be offended. These people become Democrats.

• Altosk

The Tumblr Generation, ladies and gentlemen…

• Craig

I’ve read everything I can about this, and watched as much video as I could find. Apparently, the triggering events (at least the recent ones) were 1) an email from the administration about Halloween costumes (really? – nothing more important for administrators to do there?) and a responsive email some people found offensive, from a person who, by all accounts, is a highly accomplished woman, and 2) an allegation that a fraternity (which includes minority members) turned minorities away from a crowded fraternity party (a charge that is denied by the fraternity).

If those two things are causing this, then someone is truly overreacting, unless the fraternity has been investigated, charged, tried and convicted already.

Apparently, however, it might be about something more than that, since some students apparently think systemic racism has been going on for a long time at Yale. (Since these are 18-22 year olds at a 4 year college, not sure how they would have had the chance to spend so much time at Yale to discover this.) Unfortunately, knowing a little about Yale and higher education these days, my guess is this systemic racism is really a series of what the academics are now give to calling “micro-agressions” a trend which is itself an assault on free speech.

But even if its more serious than that, I don’t get the reaction of the student, apparently Jerelyn Luther, a senior. From my perspective the Silliman Master, (can’t hardly believe I’ve seen nothing about the inherent insensitivity of using that title) Nicholas Christakis acted like a thoughtful caring and concerned person. And looking at what I could about his background, he’s clearly very accomplished, and the kids at Silliman and Yale should be grateful to have him around. I don’t necessarily agree, however, that this is somehow a left/right issue or a Republican/Democrat issue.

I think what we can say for certain is that Jerelyn Luther acted more like a self-righteous petulant, spoiled 13 year old than a senior at a place like Yale. I hope the other Yale students who saw this happen realize the difference between Christakis’ effort to have a thoughtful, respectful, caring, adult discussion and the over the top tirade of an immature woman. If I were Christakis I would have had a hard time not telling her to come and talk to me after she had a chance to grow up.

• Nirn

“It is not about creating an intellectual space!”

Says a student to faculty. Unchallenged. At a college. We fail.

• Renniewalker

DEDICATED TO PROFESSOR CHRISTAKIS: When my son showed me this video I felt compelled to reach out to tell you how sorry I am that you had to endure that utterly demeaning situation. I want to let you know that I am just one of hundreds of thousands who feel that you were incredibly wronged. You deserve respect and decorum when interacting with the university’s students.

DEDICATED TO ALL THE “ENTITLED”: – When my son showed me this video I felt compelled to reach out to say “SHAME ON YOU”. You failed yourselves, your family, your peers and your generation. You need to learn how to effectively communicate. You can reach incredible victories with just the right communication. I can see clearly that this entitlement invades and hinders judgement and action. As an adult woman I cringe and shudder when I see young women act like this. In my decades on this earth I am forced to say that the most repulsive and offensive group are females under 30. One other very important factor was the comment made regarding college not supposed to be an intellectual venue; rather a safe home venue. This is just as disturbing as the spoiled, juvenile tantrum that was displayed. It is troubling because if this difficult person was able to get into Yale then how would they not be aware that college in of itself is a venue to stimulate academic thinking. Regret is the worst thing in life; you can never take it back; you can never make it right. Let’s ask Jerelyn Luther.

Finally, in regards to all the hoopla regarding “I’m offended”, this is not only an immense waste of time and effort but clearly shows another problem with
    anyone who partakes in this hollow matter. All that is happening is a difference of opinion. We all need to be able to live in a global world; a global world where there are many different lifestyles which means we need to have a level of toleration that allows us to live. I say to all of you that have been guilty of
    this – Get a Life!

• twoedgedsword

Get a Life and Grow Up! What an irony… this is happening at a place of learning where “kids” are supposed to be gathering up and learning to use the tools they’ll need to live life in an adult world.

Epic Fail!

You know, it’s not exactly a newsflash that our culture is more and more and MORE filled with people who are maturing later and later and LATER. This is behavior I weeded out of my children BEFORE they got to their first year of school. How embarrassing this girl’s parents weren’t able to get it weeded out before the 16th year of school.

Yeah, well it’s the same old adage that used to apply to 15 year olds now moving up the scale to them in their 20’s. They insist and demand the recognition as adults. Until they’re in trouble that is, then it’s “hey, I’m just a kid!”.

Indeed.

• PC PRINCIPLE
  • PC PRINCIPLE
  • Clyde_Frog

Don’t bother posting here they’re removing every post that doesn’t adhere to their leftist agenda.

• Clyde_Frog

Go on and remove this post too Yale. Why don’t you do something about the trouble makers instead of coddling them? You’re an embarrassment of a university lmao.

• Skip

Yale = Home of snot-nose self entitled kindergarten like brats.
    Sorry, I take that back. I realize I’ve just insulted the kindergartners.

• Skip

Apparently petulant 4 year olds go to this school.

• Skip

We’ve come a long way from the logic & reason debates that Aristotle used to hold to the “Scream like a 3 year old that wants a toy” Yale debate model. Progress indeed.

• Jeff Gaynor

In reply to previous comments: From all accounts the protests against the University of Missouri President were well founded. The Yale issue brings up significant issues, and points of views that should be heard; in the end, free speech – even despicable free speech – must be preserved. I didn’t find anything objectionable about the original e-mail asking students to be sensitive, or the follow-up that wondered if the administration wasn’t being paternalistic, and warning against infringement of speech.

• Commenter

As a free society, we must require tolerance from our citizens. We must be tolerant of other’s opinions and criticisms and even of their rejection. If we raise hurt feelings from “micro-aggressions” to a level that requires administrative intervention, then free speech is lost. We need to place a societal value on free and convincing dialogue as well as intellectual courage and emotional resilience.

• Scott Foreman

I noticed the crowd was mostly female. And loudest, angriest voices were female. And they all live in the same residence house. I have a hypothesis: Maybe it’s synchronized PMS. Just sayin’ . . .

• Jonathan Stuart

The video of the out of control female student at Yale has haunted me for weeks. What horrors could she have endured to arouse such anger. After reading most of the posts, I have yet to find out anything about this hostile environment at Yale. Will someone please, honestly, describe for me the possible insults, etc. this person has encountered to evoke such anger? I am having second thoughts about having my daughter consider this university. Thanks.

• Mark Twain

The sparkle associated Yale University has become much less bright. Mayor de Blasio’s son, President Obama’s daughter, and even President GW Bush himself makes me think of privilege and affirmative action and mediocrity. The students on the U Tube video look more like dumb a$$es than brilliant young scholars.

• InFedL

Oh the poor little pampered spoiled millennial babies! We are getting tired of these whining bunch of spoiled little I am so offended brats. Like pathetic crying pampered elementary school children misfits. This entire group should have been disciplined, suspended, and/or expelled. This nonsense is laughable!