The big 3-1-3. Today is a big day in Yale history: On October 9, 1701, the General Court of the Colony of Connecticut passed “An Act for Liberty to Erect a Collegiate School” to create this fine institution, which stands strong some 313 years later. The University was comissioned to make leaders out of laymen and clergy alike, given the increasing lack of control seen at a certain Cambridge, Mass., institution that was originally built on similar pursuits.

The ’Houn is on ‘It’s On Us.’ Several members of Calhoun College came together for an ‘It’s On Us, Yale’ photo opportunity, becoming the first residential college to collectively take part in the sexual assault prevention campaign. Also involved in Wednesday’s batch of posts to the Facebook page were the AACC and A Different Drum.

Get money, get paid. The Center for International and Professional Experience will be holding an informational meeting for seniors looking to pursue a fellowship (any fellowship, apparently) today at 4 p.m.

Bike thieves beware. A recent rash of bike thefts forced the Yale Police Department into action on Wednesday, when the force issued a public service announcement through its Facebook page with advice on how to keep bicycles safe. Remember, kids: U-locks are the way to go.

Oates in our halls. National Book Award winner Joyce Carol Oates will be stopping by The Study today at 7 p.m. to discuss her latest work “Lovely, Dark, Deep,” a collection of short stories. Oates, who currently teaches creative writing at Princeton, was also nominated for the Pulitzer Prize thrice.

Future presentation. This evening, the Yale Film and Media Studies department will host an information session to discuss the state of the industry’s job market. The event also includes a session for guests to give feedback on works in progress.

“House” of horrors. The Lyric Hall theater kicks off its inaugural New Haven Cinematheque series tonight with two screenings of Andre De Toth’s ‘House of Wax,’ the first of four horror movies it will show leading into Halloween. Each of the other three movies features the same word in its name, with ‘House of Usher,’ ‘House on Haunted Hill’ and ‘Madhouse’ rounding out the month’s lineup.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY
1956 Professor Henry Wallich, who also served on the Council of Economic Advisors under Dwight Eisenhower, hosts a discussion on economic issues relevant to the 1956 presidential election.
Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

THE YALE DAILY NEWS