Just a day after four-term U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67 announced he would not seek re-election in 2012, two more Democrats have jumped into the race to replace him.

U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy of Cheshire announced in an exclusive statement to the Huffington Post Thursday that he would seek the Democratic nomination for Senate. Francisco “Frank” Borges, a venture capitalist who served as state treasurer from 1987 to 1993, also intends to run, according to the political blog Daily Ructions. Former Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz ’83 announced her intent to run for Lieberman’s seat in an e-mail to reporters Tuesday.

Murphy’s campaign launched a website Thursday and posted to YouTube an announcement video that features shots of the candidate with his family.

“Four years ago, I surprised people by defeating a 24-year incumbent,” Murphy says in the video, referring to his 2006 victory over Republican Nancy Johnson. “I did it by knocking on doors, and I’ve never stopped. That’s why I know we need a new voice in the Senate, so think of this as me, knocking on your door.”

Bysiewicz has yet to launch her website, and the Daily Ructions article did not say when Borges would officially announce his candidacy. No Republican candidate has entered the fray.