University President Richard Levin has resumed his normal workload after taking some time off this summer to recuperate following a successful surgery for prostate cancer in April.

The cancer was first discovered during a routine physical exam in the spring. Shortly after his diagnosis was confirmed, Levin traveled to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City for the surgery, which took place on April 30.

Still, Levin was “back in action,” as he put it, by Commencement. The 62-year-old president skipped some graduation events but gave all of his regular speeches.

“I don’t have my normal energy,” he said in an interview before Commencement weekend. “It’s surprising how much this kind of surgery takes out of you.”

Levin continued to work at a reduced pace until late July, when he said he was “pretty much feeling back to 100 percent.” On the days he stayed away from his Woodbridge Hall office, he said he did lots of reading on his Amazon Kindle and also kept in shape by walking as much as possible.

Vice President and Secretary Linda Lorimer and Provost Peter Salovey split the president’s duties while he was recovering in May, with Salovey focusing on academic and budgeting operations and Lorimer on everything else.

Lorimer and Levin will travel to China next week on a trip that was originally scheduled for May but was postponed because of the surgery. Aside from that, Levin said, little other Yale business was disrupted because of his health.

As it happens, Levin’s doctor at Sloan-Kettering, Peter Scardino ’67, also performed a similar surgery on Sen. Christopher Dodd of Connecticut earlier this month.