If Magellan had set his sights on circumnavigating New England rather than the whole world, and had done so this past weekend rather than in 1511, he would have looked a lot like the Yale sailing team.

The Elis were all over the map this weekend, reeling in trophies at four different regattas — the Hap Moore Team Race, the New England Men’s Championships, the Navy Women’s Regatta and the Mosbacher-Knapp Regatta.

Senior Matthew Barry ’07 finished in fourth place at the NE Men’s singlehanded championship at Roger Williams University. The calm weather, with breezes slowly picking up as the day drew out, made for the agreeable conditions that led to such a successful run, he said. Barry finished in the top five in eight of his 13 races in the Narragansett Bay venue. His fourth place finish qualifies him to represent Yale in the Nationals competition later this fall. The top four sailors from this event will go head to head in pursuit of the Intercollegiate Sailing Association’s Glenn Foster national championship title back in Rhode Island on Nov. 3-5.

Rookie Thomas Barrows ’10 just missed a bid to Nationals, coming in only two points behind Barry and placing fifth overall.

Although both Bulldog racers finished five points behind the third-place finisher, the day was stolen by Harvard sailor Clay Johnson, who placed first in nine of 13 races, finishing with 32 points.

In the Ivy League Championships at the Mosbacher-Knapp Regatta, sponsored by Princeton and held in Perth Amboy, N.J., Yale finished third behind Dartmouth and Penn. A troubling current and windy first day provided a rough start for the Elis, Rufus Peabody ’08 said.

“The first day was especially difficult because there were two rivers converging in a spot that made the current really tricky,” he said. “People who had sailed the venue before definitely had the advantage.”

Despite minor hold ups on the first day, the team was able to adjust and put forth a strong finish. The competition was stronger than last year, Peabody said. With only eight races in both Divisions A and B, it was difficult for the Bulldogs to make up for lost time.

“I feel like we played the current well in the end of the first day and into the second,” he said. “It was frustrating, because I think if we’d only had more races, we may have been able to catch Penn and Dartmouth.”

Although the Elis fell to Dartmouth at the co-ed event at Princeton, they slaughtered them at the Navy Women’s Regatta. Yale placed first over-all, with 228 points. The Big Green came in nearly 200 points behind with 398.

“Although it was a really competitive day and the conditions were really difficult, we have a really strong women’s team that has done really well in the past,” Adriane Levin ’09 said.

Levin said the team’s success is due to a strong veteran contingent and a promising rookie class. Although they dominated this past weekend, the women’s team still sits fourth overall in the rankings behind Harvard, Navy, and Stanford. The Elis will host the Yale Women’s Intersectional next weekend.

The wind was in and out all weekend at the Coast Guard Academy, where the Elis competed in the Hap Moore Team Race. Although they didn’t have a full team, the Bulldogs pulled away with a record of 12-4 overall, placing third behind St. Mary’s and Dartmouth.

“We did as well a we could expect, and for those who hadn’t competed before, it was a real learning experience,” Zack Brown ’08 said.

Yale’s co-ed team now ranks 7th overall nationally, sitting right behind Georgetown and six spots behind perennial powerhouse Boston College.

The co-ed Bulldogs squad will spread out all around the Northeast Corridor again this weekend.

One contingent will be dispatched up to the shores Mascoma Lake in New Hampshire to compete for the Jack Wood Trophy at Dartmouth. Another handful will head down to the relatively calm venue of Chesapeake Bay to sail in the Navy Fall Intersectional held in Annapolis, Md. The last set take the short trek up I-95 to Groton to face the University of Connecticut and other local crews at the Southern Series IV event.