February 26th, 2011 | Uncategorized

Apparently college admissions officers look at Facebook

Hi, all you high school seniors out there, it’s time to hide those scandalous photos on your Facebooks.

All Facebook, “The Unofficial Facebook Resource,” reported that the Kaplan Test Prep’s 2010 survey of college admissions officers shows that 82 percent of admission officers say their college of employment uses Facebook to assess prospective students.

Although Facebook profiles do not influence the admissions officers’ decisions as much as grades, extracurriculars, recommendations and the oh-so-brutal admissions essays, it could act as the tiebreaker when deciding between similarly talented students.

Prospective students should not fret though. Apparently admissions officers don’t have creepy Facebook superpowers and so they can’t view your profile if you set it to private. That being so, you can keep all the embarrassment and ridicule to yourself, just make sure to chose your profile picture accordingly (yes, they can see that).

All Facebook however, suggests to keep your profile public if you want to “[upload] a video talking about why you want a particular institution to admit you.” But, unless you can top “That’s Why I Chose Yale” this might not be wise.

We at Cross Campus care, so here is how to change your privacy settings.

Correction: February 27, 2011

An earlier version of this article said that “82 percent of admission officers say their college of employment uses Facebook to assess prospective students.” In fact, the survey found out that 82 percent of the admissions officers use the social networking site to approach and recruit students.

• RussellSchaffer

Editors –

Can you please make an important correction? I work at Kaplan Test Prep. Your story includes data that was corrected in the source story yesterday – its original data was taken from a source that also reported our data incorrectly. Your article currently reads:

Here’s the full story: The 82% actually refers to a question we asked as part of Kaplan Test Prep’s 2010 survey of college admissions officers. As part of our 2010 survey of college admissions officers, 82% told us that their school uses Facebook to recruit students. 56% use Twitter and YouTube. As part of the same survey, we learned that 80% of college admissions officers or a colleague in their admissions office had received a Facebook friend request from at least one applicant – an increase form 71% in our 2009 survey. This would imply that applicants are at least open to admissions officers checking them out and it shows that students are indeed driving this kind of new communication. Still fascinating statistics in this new frontier and trends we’ll continue to track.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Russell Schaffer
    Senior Communications Manager
    Kaplan Test Prep