November 16th, 2010 | Uncategorized

Garry Trudeau ’70 ART ’73 learned valuable lessons at Yale

Tough love from a professor influenced “Doonesbury” artist Garry Trudeau ’70 ART ’73, Trudeau told NPR.

In the interview, Trudeau recounted a memorable experience from college:

And one day the professor came over and he looked at my drawing, and he ripped it off my drawing board and proceeded to tear it into pieces in front of the rest of the class. And he looked at me, he said, yes, I know you can draw. What I’d really like to know is whether you can see. And so, that was a very early lesson in paying attention.

Trudeau added that he thinks newspapers will “make their exit” before he decides to retire his comic strip.

[via Romenesko]

• Opinionated

I have long said that the three fundamental things I learned as an undergrad and grad student are:
    1. No matter how smart you think you are, there is someone else out there whose intelligence and capability can make you look silly. (Look around the next time you waltz through the dining hall…there are some remarkable people around there – the best part about the place)
    2. Life isn’t fair. Get over it. (In grad school, I reflected on the fact that faculty and grad students parked right next to the building; undergrads waaaayy out there on the back forty. Do you think Home Depot encourages its employees to take up all the good spots next to the front door? And so on…)
    3. Your leaders aren’t always right, and when they won’t listen to useful input, it can cost you dear. We lost an Ivy League title one year on that one. In response to suggesting an obvious adjustment, “You play, we’ll coach.” We lost.