Clegg: Political philosophy matters

In case you were not aware, dear reader, there are many things about which you remain tragically uninformed. Virtually all of these things deal with poetry or philosophy.

As ________ (Western thinker) wrote, to live the good life, we must embrace the ________ (noun) of our fellow ________ (noun, pl.), rather than ________ (verb ending in “ing”) in isolation as solitary beasts. This is the essence of philosophy. But in a recent column, ________ (News columnist) ’10 claimed that philosophy is ________ (adjective). That reality is chaos. What nonsense. ________ (noun) is ________ (opposite)! ________ (noun) is ________ (opposite)!

Take a recent campus controversy. Certain students have protested the attendance of ________ (hip-hop group) at ________ (drunken end-of-year catastrophe). Some students have criticized the protesters for disrespecting the hip-hop group’s ________ (number) Amendment rights, while other, more ________ (mental state opposite of “insane”) students have countered that they are doing no such thing.

Regardless of which side is ________ (adjective), this debate reveals philosophy ________ (verb) and even that it and ________ (literary genre) are ________ (unnecessary adverb) one and the same. And it is debates like this that ________ (Western thinker) had in mind when ________ (pronoun — not female) wrote that humans depend on each other for their political ________ (obscure noun).

Politics, then, like ________ (noun) and ________ (noun) and ________ (noun) ________ (extremely long verb) both poetry and philosophy. These together are our most powerful tools for making sense of a twisted experience. They represent ________ (noun), while simultaneously ________ (verb ending in “ing”) us to understand our ________ (deity—not Eastern)-less world where there is no ________ (noun).

But to understand all this, is it necessary to study the ________ (discipline — not a Sc or QR). It is here that the true ________ (noun) of poetry and philosophy can be understood, and to students of ________ (practical subject with real-world benefits), you are wasting your time; your lives will be neither satisfying nor wholly human.

It would be sacrilege to insinuate that the only things worth ________ (verb ending in “ing”) are poetry and philosophy. But as the recent columnists have bandied these topics ________ (preposition), they have unwittingly shown that these subjects are the vital ________ (noun, pl.) of politics. ________ (Western thinker) was right.

Nothing is dead. As my argument elucidates, everything lives on together in the realm of ________ (food). If you don’t agree, come find me and we can talk.