FEMALE BODY FOUND AT 10 AMISTAD ST.; POLICE SUSPECT IT IS ANNIE LE GRD ’13

Police declared the Yale research building at 10 Amistad St. the site of a homicide investigation on Sunday after a female’s body was discovered in the building’s basement.
Police declared the Yale research building at 10 Amistad St. the site of a homicide investigation on Sunday after a female’s body was discovered in the building’s basement. Photo by Nick Bayless.

Five days after Annie Le GRD ’13 was last seen, the authorities found what they believe to be her body on Sunday behind a basement wall in the Yale research facility at 10 Amistad St.

The case is now classified as a homicide and will be investigated primarily by the New Haven Police Department. Peter Reichard, the NHPD’s assistant chief of investigations, said at a press conference Sunday evening that law enforcement officials have still not identified any suspects in the murder of Le, who was supposed to be married yesterday.

New Haven Police Department Assistant Chief Peter Reichard reveals that a body was found.
Nick Bayless
Police established a one-block radius around 10 Amistad St.
University President Richard Levin addresses reporters late Sunday outside Woodbridge Hall.
Nick Bayless
The basement of 10 Amistad St., where the body was found.
No caption.
No caption.
No caption.
No caption.

Speaking to reporters outside Woodbridge Hall late Sunday night, University President Richard Levin conveyed the “deeply felt support of the entire Yale University community” and said “our hearts go out to the family of Annie Le, to her fiance, to her friends.”

“The investigation will continue,” Levin said, adding that authorities are conducting an autopsy and identification of the remains. “We have every hope that it will be successfully resolved.”

Law enforcement officials have now sealed the building at 10 Amistad St. where the body was found shortly after 5 p.m. on Sunday. Footage from security cameras shows Le entering the building at 10 a.m. Tuesday but never leaving; now the investigation will focus on what she did and where she went once inside.

Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith, who oversees campus security, said earlier this week that access to the rooms and labs inside the building is restricted and digitally monitored. Authorities said they know who was in the basement at the time when Le entered.

Robert Alpern, dean of the Yale School of Medicine, where Le was studying for a Ph.D. in pharmacology, said in a telephone interview Sunday night that access to the basement where Le was found is limited to certain people with approved Yale magnetic identification cards, as it is at all University facilities where research is conducted on animals.

“I think that it suggests it was someone who could get into that space,” he said. “It certainly would be extremely difficult for someone from outside of Yale to get into that space. Not impossible, but extremely difficult.”

Still, there remain more questions than answers about the circumstances of Le’s death.

Vice President and Secretary Linda Lorimer said last week that Le’s fiance, Jonathan Widawsky , was not a suspect and that there was “not a worry” about his involvement in what was at the time considered a missing person case. She added that he and Le’s family has cooperated with authorities.

Along with the NHPD, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Connecticut State Police and the Yale Police Department all remain involved in the investigation. In a campuswide e-mail titled “Tragic News,” Levin said the autopsy to identify the body will be performed by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Connecticut.

Authorities first learned of Le’s disappearance when a roommate reported her missing at about 9 p.m. Tuesday, YPD Chief James Perrotti said. The police quickly began investigating the matter and learned that she took a Yale Transit bus from her apartment at 188 Lawrence St. to her office at the Sterling Hall of Medicine early Tuesday morning.

Later in the morning, she walked from that office to 10 Amistad St., leaving her purse, cell phone and wallet behind. She took her Yale identification card with her, and the surveillance footage shows her carrying another object as she entered the building. Officials have not said what she was carrying.

At 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday, a fire alarm sounded in the building. The special agent in charge of the FBI in Connecticut, Kimberly Mertz, said at a press conference Saturday that the alarm was caused by a release of steam from a laboratory hood. She said it was possible that the steam was intentionally released by a person.

There were few other leads in the investigation until the weekend. Authorities seized bloody clothes on Saturday, though a Yale police source said the fabric was not a piece of clothing that Le was known to have been wearing and said it was not clear at the time whether the fabric had human blood or animal blood on it.

On Sunday, after lead investigators arrived at Amistad Street in the morning, dogs from the Connecticut State Police were seen entering the building. The bloodhounds had been part of the search since Thursday, as had more than 100 law enforcement officials from the various agencies.

Some of those officers were in Hartford on Sunday searching through trash at the garbage incinerator there. Other authorities had searched through trash in the dumpsters outside the Amistad Street facility in prior days.

Mertz said Saturday that authorities had already interviewed “numerous people” who saw Le inside the building on Tuesday, but she declined to give any further details. There are 75 cameras around the building and in the surrounding area; investigators spent a large part of their time examining all the video footage to determine if Le, who was 4-feet-11-inches and weighed 90 pounds, could be seen exiting.

The killing is the first homicide in New Haven since mid-March and, assuming the body is identified as Le’s, the first killing of a Yale student since Suzanne Jovin ’99 was stabbed to death on Dec. 4, 1998.

Reporting was contributed by Isaac Arnsdorf, Nora Caplan-Bricker, Florence Dethy, Zeke Miller, Martine Powers, Colin Ross, Divya Subrahmanyam, Victor Zapana and Esther Zuckerman.

• Penn Parent

What a terrible, horrific tragedy. I am at a loss for words.
    My sincere condolences to the family and friends of this young woman — and to the Yale community.

• les franks

Is anyone else besides me baffled why it took 5 days to find this young woman’s body in building that does not appear to be that big?

What happened is horrible enough, but to make the family wait all this time when they knew she had not left the building speaks very poorly of all the investigative agencies involved.

• elle

An excellent student, straight A’s , missing a class for the first time, that same class suspiciously cancelled,a fire alarm. Her wallet and keys and phone left inside her office and no contact with her fiance.. a LAB building with chemicals!
    The school should have sealed the building IMMEDIATELY
    24 hours at most and the dogs, FBI should have been on the case within HOURS not DAYS.

• Gunny G

What IS IT with liberals killing women? Ted DRUNKENNEDY, Gary Condit, now this liberal professor!?

• Silverback

sad

• C. C. Tamerlane

If you want to see how Yale will likely handle this, read Willard Gaylin’s, The Killing of Bonnie Garland: A Question of Justice.

• sidonie

She went there without her purse, therefore, she was lured there on a fake pretense. As a woman, the lesson to me is: Man or woman, don’t respond to fire alarms or rescue calls without bringing the police. Theory: She was lured there by her fiance to escape the wedding, or by a scorned suitor. Either way, HE knew the lab very, very well.

• GL Lee

Steam set off a fire alarm? Since when is steam smoke? Do fire alarms sniff for smoke, or do they measure heat?

• John

Crazy times indeed! What a waste, I hope they string up whoever did it.

• BpSitRep

Law Enforcement there needs to be ashamed of themselves for not totally and thoroughly searching that building.
    Law Enforcement in general in the U.S. seems to be always done haphazardly, and here we go again. My sincere condolences to the family of Ms. Le.

• Carl W.

How could this happen? What is being covered-up? This could have been my daughter! Please explain how this took place!! This is just unacceptable!

• Mike V.

What must be done:

Every segment of video footage from that building must be scrutinized, from 24 hours before the established death timeline to 24 hours after that established time.

All computers and electronic communication devices from every person of interest must be forensically analyzed. I believe this will be the key to breaking this case.

I predict this case will be solved in the next two weeks.

• Virginia

This is a horrible tragedy that should have never happened! The only way a “non” student/faculty member/etc. could have gotten into the building is if they were let in by someone else, which happens all to often on college campuses.

When is this madness going to stop? Women aren’t safe in their homes, their school, their jobs or anywhere else for that matter. We read the same story over & over everyday, just a different victim at a different place. Woman in America are NOT safe, because in every little nook & cranny of the world there is some sick psychopath just waiting for a chance to prey on another innocent victim.

Unless and until the punishment for violence against women become much stronger & severe than they are now, we truly have no place left to hide in order to be safe!!!

Annie, you didn’t deserve this, nobody does. Another young life has now been struck down before she even had a chance to live. The world has been cheated, once again :(

RIP Annie! My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and everyone else who had a chance to cross paths with you and know you. It sounds like you were a wonderful young lady who would have made a huge impact on this world, and one who will be missed deeply.

• Former student

Impossible to get in the basement? I don’t think so. Anytime someone walks up and uses their card, the person behind them usually gets in when the door is held open for them. I would say it is quite easy to get in.

• Elaine

I agree with Elle. Why that building wasn’t sealed off immediately is beyond me. And why it took 5 days to find her– with all the investigators and dogs is curious indeed. I wonder what Yale Officials are hiding or who they are protecting?

• Anon.

“…access to the basement where Le was found is limited to certain people with approved Yale magnetic identification cards, as it is at all University facilities where research is conducted on animals.”

This story is tragic enough. Let’s just hope that there are no radical PETA terrorists involved.

• Moriyah

The words that caught my eye were “animal testing.” (ALF) It’s not too far out to imagine these secure electronic passes can be forged. Someone with the right resources and time could do it. But that would suggest an ‘organized’ murder. The way the body and scene were left don’t fit – it seems more unorganized — A crime of opportunity.( Sexual predator)

• Concerned

Yes, seems the dogs would have sniffed out the unfortunate findings before five days lapsed. Apparently there is word that this is not a random act. It would not seem so in light of the facts as well. Sincerest condolences …this a most tragic.

• tdrag

This is very tragic. Perhaps if Annie had been allowed to carry a concealed handgun she would be alive today. Wake up sheep!

• Parent of College Student

This is definitely the most horrific thing that could happen to a young lady who had the best future ahead of her. She probably should have been less vocal about security surrounding Yale as one just never knows who will read what you publish and see it as a CHALLENGE. When we send our children off to college and have them return in a body bag, there are no words that can describe the deep grief and pain of her loved ones.

• Veracity

SO DISAPPOINTING.Hoped she would be found ALIVE, unharmed! Single released photo showed Annie with something many thought was an animal in her arms. Authorities never mention what was in her arms. Now we know animals are kept in basement of facility. Yet basement search began Saturday by FBI, 96 hours after Annie Le was last seen approaching the building. 48 hours after she vanished, a second version of the same photo is released, mystery person now visible holding door for Annie as she neared the entrance to the facility. YALE HELD THE REINS OF THIS INVESTIGATION until body was found, they only ALLOWED FBI to CO-LEAD on FRIDAY. SAT. was first news conference (over 106 hours after Annie’s last known whereabouts). NO TIMELINE provided (even on the missing flyer), no specific question answered except FBI Mertz stated categorically “NO BODY FOUND”. IMO, Yale and FBI have a LOT to answer for in this case. I also wonder why the STATE POLICE OR FBI DID NOT JUST TAKE OVER THIS CASE, Yale, imo, had a conflict of interest. When adults go missing there is no AMBER system or SILVER ALERT (that is why the billboards didnt go up until FRIDAY,a 72 hours delay). By the way, SILVER ALERTS were just signed into law in CT this year! The media plays a CRITICAL role when anyone goes missing but an especially critical one when an ADULT vanishes! The media is not hampered by missing person report rules (can’t open for 24/48 hours, problems with which agency had jurisdiction to pursue missing person case,etc) and their ability to get the story out crosses many jurisdictional lines. If used correctly the Media can save time and help solve cases! All along YALE TOLD ITS STUDENTS/FACULTY NOT TO TALK TO MEDIA and YALE and the FBI refused to answer questions from the media. Many on blogs were criticized for attempting to analyze the meager information released by authorities. Everyone’s motive was to help. Now I hope the media will do their best to determine WHY it took until Sunday at 5 PM to find Annie! I am sure that basement smelled because of the animals. But after 120 hours in a wall, I don’t think it would even take a dog to distinquish the smell of a body or possibly see fluids leaching and the animals being housed may even have began to react. Blueprints became part of the search as of Saturday. WHY SO LONG? Apparently AFTER moving some ceiling tiles, bloody clothes were discovered? I hope they find the culprit RIGHT AWAY. And I Annie’s death will lead to better security measures AND better INVESTIGATIVE STRATEGIES and DEPLOYMENTS in the future to spare other families what Annie’s has endured. Such a cruel twist for her to be discovered in a wall on the very day she was to be married.

• Bob

They have a suspect in custody. Another student. Failed lie detector test and has defensive wounds on his body. Sounds like they’ve got the killer. Thank God.

But this is very very sad story. May she rest in peace now, her life cut short — way too short. Condolences to friends, family and her fiance. I cannot imagine how they feel.

• JimB

Could someone have entered the building with the victim?

• nanapat

to comments # 2 and # 3

I’m baffled too especially since they had cadaver dogs in that building and I have a lot of faith in them.. But then several other things about this sad case bother me too..

• Curious.

Does anyone know to a granular level of what Annie Le’s field of research was? What class did she miss and what was the name or purpose of the specific lab she was in? She was hidden in a chase in the basement of this building- who would be familiar with the architecture of the building. Janitorial staff? HVAC personnel? This all sounds like an inside job.

• Doc Savage

Round up the usual list of suspects. It is obvious who the perp will turn out to be. It dosen’t take a Harvard graduate to figure out this “who done it”.

• holmes sherlock

What a tragedy! It clearly seems to be an inside job. The person who offed poor Annie must have known her from the campus. I would recommend checking all registered sex offenders who had access to the campus, because Annie was quite a hottie. R.I.P. poor girl!

• Bob

#18 By tdrag 12:38p.m. on September 14, 2009

==========

You idi*t, she did not even have her cell phone or wallet. Guns are always the answer to crime for the simple minded.

• Tom

@tdrag (#18) I’m all in favor of our second ammendment rights, but not only does that right have to exist, but you actually have to carry, and be fully trained, and not grabbed from behind or something. Really, even if I had a CC permit, I doubt if I’d wear heat in the office.

My prayers are with the families & her poor fiance, God rest her soul.

• Talking Head

“Siezed”? From whom? Don’t the pretend reporters mean “found”? They will make great journalists for BigMedia.

• from MSNBC

The suspect is a male grad student who failed a polygraph test and had defensive wounds:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32810822/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

• ughhh

“This story is tragic enough. Let’s just hope that there are no radical PETA terrorists involved.”

No, there’s not. PETA, the ALF, etc. don’t individually target and then murder people. Sure, they harass, they’re annoying, they go for public shame, etc. But have they ever killed someone like this? No. Will they? No. And if they would, would it be some junior scientist no one has ever heard of? No. They are just not that organized – and also not homicidal. I don’t like PETA or the ALF at all, but really, that thought is totally absurd.

But Yale… they are more pissed that this has turned into a media scandal than they are that a student has been murdered, I’m sure.

• Stop the Ridiculous Accusations and Speculation

To start off, my condolences to Annie Le’s family, friends and fiance. This is a truly tragic event.

Before criticizing Yale for the way the investigation was conducted, think about the following: How could a search have been started within hours of the last time she was seen? How often has it happened that you tried to contact someone and it took more than a few hours for them to respond but they were completely okay? The fact of the matter is that the case was taken seriously and treated as a true missing persons case within a very reasonable window of time.

While it is surprising that the body was not found more quickly, there could be a number of complicating factors that you are not aware of. For starters, her body was apparently found in a wall, which suggests that it was very well hidden. Also, it is a lab in which experiments are routinely conducted, so there is a presence of chemicals, blood and other materials not normally present at a crime scene.

To those who are criticizing Yale for security, consider the following: she was killed in a Yale building and all indications thus far are that she was killed by someone affiliated with Yale (e.g. another student or a professor). The fact of the matter is then that this is the same as any other instance in which someone is killed by an acquaintance and has absolutely nothing to do with the level of security provided by Yale. Had she been killed by some random dangerous/ suspicious person who somehow gained access to the building there would potentially be reasonable cause for concern. The fact of the matter is that this could have happened anywhere to anyone (e.g. any other school, major company/corporation/ firm etc.) and there isn’t really much that Yale could have done security wise to prevent it.

To those speculating wildly: your speculations are unhelpful and impugn the integrity and representations of respected individuals (e.g. the professor). Respectfully withhold your speculations and criticisms and wait for the facts to come out.

• PETA lover

So obviously Annie performed testing on live animals in that building. Disgusting!!! Karma can be a bitch!

• SoSad

I agree, every woman should carry a handgun.

• Gigi

The killer should face a firing squad immediately;the h— with a trial. Show him or her as much mercy as was shown to Ms.Le!

• Friend of Annie’s

I attended high school with this girl; she was our valedictorian. I remember her as sweet, thoughtful and intelligent. So sad that she was found on what was supposed to be one of the happiest days of her life.

RIP Annie, we all love and miss you.

• JJ

When will these schools learn they need MORE SECURITY. We’ve had shootings and murders in colleges, have they not learned ANYTHING? I don’t care if they have to put cops in every part of every college campus 24 hours a day. You have to do what you have to do to stop this crime. It seems the mentality in many parts of America is, wait for a something to happen before you do something about it. How about trying to PREVENT this from happening?

• Yale student

Let’s see, wild speculation about animal rights’ terrorists and ramblings about the 2nd Amendment. Ten bucks says this story was linked on Drudge Report.

Yup, I was right.

And #20, wtf are you talking about? I’m a Yale student and I haven’t been told not to talk to the media. Know your stuff before you talk, you make more sense that way.

• Jay Dickson

A who done it suspense?

• John

You little kids are so funny with all your speculation based on meager facts. Let the professionals do the detective work and you children get back to studying. Also, to all the elitists who assumed it would be a janitor or maintenance worker, what do you think now that it appears to be one of your own?

• Veracity

Annie Le is not the first college student to go missing. I have followed missing persons cases for over two decades and helped to try and get laws passed like the Amber Law that is now in each state (though there are improvements some states could make). In CT right now Congressman Murphy is about to submit (if he hasn’t already) a bill called Bill’s Law for a missing 31 year old CT man William “Billy” Smolinski, to help fund and streamline and FIX the process of crossmatching human remains with missing persons. There are families out there today who still don’t know where their loved is or what happened to them. Police forces for years did not even bother to take DNA and cremated remains! We have a learning curve when it comes to missing persons. I believe it is CRITICAL to responsibly follow and review MISSING PERSON CASES and DO SOMETHING POSITIVE to prevent a future tragedy. Consider the number of lives the Silver Alerts and Amber Alerts have saved! It is pitiful that such laws are necessary for cooperation between media and law enforcement to occur. But remember our court system has elevated privacy laws above public safety in missing person cases. Law enforcement may be doing the best they can UNDER OUR CURRENT LAWS. In my opinion each one of us should approach a missing person case and ask WHAT IF THIS WAS MY FAMILY? I have not speculated during this case. I HAVE asked questions. And I do have opinions concerning who should be leading Missing person investigation. I ask you – would you perfer an University Police force be in charge if your loved one was missing or would you prefer the State Police (usually the most equipped/experienced/manpowered force with jurisdiction for the entire state and immediate ability to assistance from the FBI whom they probably already have a working relationship)? I have emails from local reporters trying to help and report Annie’s disappearance who told me authorities refused to answer their ANY OF THEIR questions. The Yale Police flyer was not even out until 9/10 and did not have a single time mentioned. We all witnessed the ODD news conference held Saturdy. I AM MARVELLING AT SOME OF THESE POSTS which seem more concerned about Yale’s reputation than what actually happened with this investigation, what Annie’s family and friends and community endured. While this is a time of great sadness at this senseless death of such a gifted and loved young lady, isn’t it also an opportunity for something POSITIVE to result?

• John

Yeah, GIGI, let’s forget about the constitution…Great idea.

• notaYalie

There was a famous case in 1999 of a Yalie beautiful postdoc and her mentor/advisor/professor. A married one. He may have stalked her, they may have had an affair. Different variations, depending who told what. But she got wiped off the map, not literally, fortunately for her, “only” academically and she got quite a few threats. The wife of the professor is of the same origin as this young victim. That professor also uses animals in his research.
    While the two cases are definitely have nothing to do with each other, you never know. The professor that year gave a talk to a large audience and kept joking about how they took care of that young woman, so he came out as the winner. Then again, sometimes criminals go further, if they get away with something quite easily. Hopefully the FBI learns of that one at some point.

• Psst

Psst the purpose of a trial is to determine innocence or guilt… but yea the hell with that! Let’s just go and lynch someone! It’ll make everything better!

Can we please stop with the ridiculous comments?

Condolences to Annie Le’s family, friends and fiance. This is a terrible tragedy.

• David Steele

As for making crimes against women have stiffer penalties, sorry but even the death sentence does not deter crime.

BTW, you do not see crimes against female cops. They carry guns and tend to solve the problem. It helps to be trained to be tough. The problem is that we are a nation of weak individuals, people who baby themselves. Easy to take out sheeple.

And you expect far too much of the police, let alone government. Government does not move fast. Too many committees, too many decision makers. Thus the police take far too long to do anything.

• CHRI$ DODD

DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH!

• conjecture

i suspect a second suitor killed her because of her marriage.

• yalemed

I have been reading the posts and am in disbelief at the amount of posters criticizing the investigators for the amount of time it took them to find the body.

This was a 100,000 square foot, brand new and highly technologically advanced laboratory. Biohazardous materials are routinely used; consequently there are advanced ventilation systems and floors, walls, and ceilings designed to contain the spread of toxic material or fires within rooms, and that’s not even going into the amount of chemical residue around. The facility is designed to contain smell. Bloodhounds were brought in shortly after the investigation began; it’s no miracle they didn’t find Annie. Also, the Amistad St. building is large enough that it could take an entire day just to thoroughly search every high-grade freezer in the place, much less all the labs and in the walls.

I’m tired of seeing people criticize the investigation when they clearly don’t have the facts. Annie Le was a terrific person and deserves the speediest possible justice, and I hope she gets it.

• Taggart Snyder

Animal rights activists. That’s the first thing I thought of as I read Mr. Korn and Mr. Needham try to gloss over the fact that it was a facility used in animal experimentation. And capital punishment DOES deter crime. It sure as hell deters whoever was put to death.

• hmm
  • markand9876

Condolences and prayers to family, fiance and friends.

Some suggest students carry Mace or Pepper spray. Well, that’s better than nothing, but I’d feel more comfortable with a firearm. I know this will ignite controversy of its own, but there is no reason why students, faculty or staff, who are old enough, aren’t disqualified by criminal or mental health reasons, and can pass requisite testing and background check, shouldn’t be able to obtain concealed handgun permits and carry on campus.

Schools and other “gun free zones” are dangerous as bad guys know they’re safe committing their awful crimes in “gun free zones”. To maintain otherwise is sheer folly. And I don’t buy objections to the effect that college kids and guns don’t mix. If 21-year old college students are too irresponsible, drunk or drugged to safely possess a gun, we shouldn’t let them drive a car, either.

Would carrying a gun save everybody who carries? Nope. But it would give everybody who carries a chance. Le probably had no chance at all.

• last exit

sounds like an infatuated guy who was rejected went after her…probably knew the the wedding was imminent and snapped…35-45 yr old geek who works there…..

• John

Diversity is neither our strength nor weakness. In this case why does it matter? A promising young student was killed who cares about the race.

I blame the democrats for weak stance on crimes. Just like the guy in California that held that poor soul for 18 years after repeatedly raping her over the years.

• Nena

I am absolutely devastated about Annie Le. How could anybody do something so horrible to her? I feel horrible for her family, fiance and friends. How did this happen in a school building? I do admit that this makes me afraid to be anywhere on my own campus by myself.

• ozymandias888

This is all Bush’s fault.

• Nancy

The basement area is kept cool which would keep the level of decomposition down, and yes there are animals kept there which are deceased and ready for disposal which could put off scent dogs. In addition, tracking dogs were first brought into the building and did not “hit” on anything. It is thought the reason for this could be due to the chemicals used in that area plus the venting/filter air system clarifying odors. Cadaver dogs were not brought in til Saturday.

This is a large area in the basement divided by walls which are meant to be moved to reconfigure the area. The chase areas are large enough to conceal a body and can be easily accessed with a screwdriver. The chase areas contain wiring fed down through the ceiling to supply telephone, online and electricity connections. The Amisted building is not the only building on campus with these type walls so anyone having access to other buildings would be familiar with the wall structures.

Anyone can get into the building by simply holding the door for another person to enter or walking up behind a student as they enter. It is the first of the semester and no one would be familiar with who should be in what building.

NH Police have stated this is not a random crime. Annie was the target, for whatever reason.

I would think with all the survellience tape they have, law enforcement knows every person who entered and left that building; even 24 hours prior to Annie’s entrance. They are waiting on lab results (ie: DNA) for their next step in this investigation. If indeed there is someone of interest who has scratch marks on their body, the DNA will most certainly be crucial.

New Haven Register is reporting the investigation is focused on a lab technician who works in the building.

He can run, he can lie, but DNA does not lie.

• Veracity

To #36 By a Yale Student.

I have followed Annie’s disappearance closely and been in contact with various reporters who expressed via email their frustration and inability to get answers. They repeatedly are told “Yale authorities told me not to speak to the media”. The first glaring example was Annie’s roommate. If you check the Courant you may be able to find the article. I have provided a couple of source links for you.

I woudl add YOU may not have been told directly to not speak to media because YOU had no direct part in Annie’s disappearance and therefore the media would have no reason to want to talk to you.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/135181851

“A woman who identified herself as Le’s roommate said police told her not to discuss Le’s disappearance with anyone. The woman, who declined to give her name, said she last saw Le on Tuesday morning.

“I’m so worried,” she said.”

Ms. Griffin wrote this originally in the Courant and it was picked up by many news outlets.

Here is one TODAY!

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/09/14/news/doc4aae5d57ae145175622155.txt

• Kim

It is highly likely that Le’s abduction (pretext to being killed) was done somewhere else in the building – perhaps where the clothing was found (they perp. would have to dispose of bloody clothes in order to go back OUT into the main body of the building to take Le to the basement). Then, the perp. simply used Le’s i.d. to get into the basement. Why no police/cadaver dogs were used in the building IMMEDIATELY, given there was no sign of her exit, is baffling, to say the least. The worst that can happen at this point is that it is discovered she suffered in death, having not been found in time to save her… an awful awful thought. The world has lost someone who would have contributed SO much to our society, it’s an unimaginable loss.

• Veracity

I would hope we can do better than advocate GUNS as the most logical pro-active measure for women to be safe. Personally I am cerified as a MASTER MARKSMAN for several different fire arms. AND I WOULD HATE to have to LUG a gun and keep up with it. That doesn’t sound like freedom to me. I believe the answer is far more easy. I think people have to be less selfish and more aware and concerned with others. REmarkably there seemed to be less crime against women when folks lived far from each other! THINK ABOU THAT. IMO, the reason so often crimes occur is because someone(s) is more concerned with “ME”. I am trying to process what happened that day – Annie missed a class where she was a TI (even if the class was canceled- didn’t someone have to reach her to notify her?), and she was supposed to be part of an 8 person research team and was spending a great deal of time in the lab? If folks swipe in a building, who makes sure are they safe while in the building? And at what point does someone verify who is swiped in and out? WHY did it take her roomie contacting authorities around 9 PM? Who was too busy on Tuesday to care about Annie? Maybe some will think me caulous. I don’t mean it that way – we call get busy. We have our own chores and duties. But in this day and age, we need to CARE about others. And we need to pool every resource to maximize the effort should someone disappear. We should not dismiss the disappearance away because it has not immediate bearing on us. We should realize, at any moment, it COULD BE A LOVED ONE or IT COULD BE YOU OR ME! What would we hope would be done if that was the case?

• Pat

Diversity is death.

Multi-Culturalism is Murder.

• anh

Very sad. R.I.P Annie

• Steam

#7: Many fire systems (i.e. sprinklers in buildings) are actually triggered by heat, not smoke. You can light up a cigarette in a building and not set off the sprinklers but place an autoclave vent under a sprinkler and you’ll set the entire floor off.

• Dee

I just can’t understand why someone would want to kill her. Only a person predisposed to this kind of rage could be guilty of such a crime (a ticking bomb). Was it because she wrote an article on how not be a victim of crime and they were sick enough to prove she was wrong about her how to safeguard oneself. It makes no sense and it happened during the day when people were in the building. I started to think it was her boyfriend and they are just not saying anything. This types of crimes are ususally done by someone close to the victim. Did the boyfriend come up to visit her before the wedding day?
    I just can’t take it when all the people that will make great contributions to society are the ones that get killed and we are left with those subhumans that we have to support in jail — they get to live and do they care? do they feel guilty. I think this person would have committed this type of crime at some point their life because this kind of hate and rage doesn’t just happen overnight. Half of them kill animals to start off and graduate to humans. Was this a lab testing animals? This makes no sense.

• notaYalie

to hmm … hmmmm indeed …
    The professor I mentioned in my post was not the same one whom you quoted in your link.

So there were more than one over the past ten fifteen years. They all get away with what they got away with it seems, and women tend to be victims of these mighty ones, while some offhandedly blame the janitors and construction workers.

Although as it happens, at Penn, security was tight at some point. Too tight in fact, so tight that a two security guard were abusing young women, until someone dared to speak up and they got caught. Nobody got killed though, fortunately.

• JOHN

#7 GL Lee
    The heat from the steam can set off the fire alarm system. I work in a research facility and we have to open our autoclave doors slowly or the fire alarm will sound.

• Veracity

Nancy, I hope you are right! Wise post. Kudos.

• Mick

Noone found the body hidden away for a whole five days. I guess Texas Walker Ranger must have been on vacation and of course the press was stone walled by some sort of coverup depriving our cyber-detectives from cracking the case. Still, I’ll rest easy tonight knowing that there are many out there monitoring the internet, watching the press releases, providing insights, and commentating on the actions of the professionals to make sure law enforcement gets it right the next time.

Furthermore, this case illustrates that if we only had stiffer laws for intentional homicide, security cameras everywhere, and unlimited funds, we could have prevented the intentional acts of one lone individual bent on murder and we could guarantee the safety of everyone. In the meantime, we need an independent investigation and a commission to determine fault. Later, the University and responsible law enforcement needs to be sued, because only through a large jury verdict or massive settlement can these wrongs be made right.

• Francesca

My heart is filled with sorrow and sadness for the families. Why…another life snuffed out before her time…

My thoughts are with her madre/padre and all who loved and knew her.

• Bio Weapons Link

Shocking similar cases targeting cell development and genomics researchers hushed up. Annie Le is not an isolated case.

http://forum.911movement.org/index.php?showtopic=7168&

• Gridlock

I am no murder investigator or murderer, but think about one other way a body can get lodged “magically” inside a wall…

How about this idea?

Murderer is living UPSTAIRS of where the body was found.
    They lure the woman or knock her out and bring her into the room.

They now have to dispose of a bloody body.
    What to do? Well, they cannot drag the body out in the hall, they cannot leave it in their room, they could chop up the body with a circular saw (which they did not do), and so on.

So what is the plan Sherlock?

CUT A HOLE IN THE WALL. Dump the body down that hole and then seal up the wall again.

The bloody clothes in the ceiling tiles “should logically” come from the room above where the clothes were found, but… anyone could stuff a bunch of clothes into any ceiling tile if they had a fold-away chair and it only takes about 45 seconds to do it.

Better choice. Send a camera on a small climbing bot up the wall and find where the blood trail starts or search vertically upwards all in dorm rooms near that wall (dead bodies can tumble a bit when schlumping down the inside of a wall) for evidence of fresh “construction work” (and behind beds and dressers and posters lining the base of those walls).

Blood spray checks would also be quick and accurate to a degree.

// Seriously do I have to draw a diagram of how this would be pulled off? I thought YALE was a SCHOOL for heaven’s sake.

• Aaron

What does it matter if they catch this killer or not. He’ll probably be out in 20 years anyway. I hope her Fiance is a stronger man than I, because I’d be throwing my weight and anger around, destroying some peoples lives myself right about now. 5 days before his wedding.. Wow.. I’d be effin’ some people up.

• Wow…

I love how so many people on here have blamed the alf or animal rights activists for this in their little minds. They find a woman, in a lab, dead, and a male grad student with access to that lab with defensive wounds. They found ALL ANIMALS still there, yet you think “animal rights terrorists” did it? Animal rights activists have never killed anyone in decades upon decades of activism. They free animals from the hell inside these labs but part of the entire picture is not to hurt people (as people are animals).

Thanks for showing me how brainwashed you all are by front groups for the animal exploitation industries. I guess even Harvard students are easy to coerce into believing anything. You should do a little more research on your sources next time. You’ll find most of them are funded by pharm, cigarette, restaurant, and other companies.

What a crock. Open your minds.

• Brian Muldoon

So sad…and horrific. Hate to think how the perp will play the legal system and remain free and alive.

But please …the problem is not law enforcement…have any of you folks criticizing law enforcement ever been to Latin America? America has practically the best law enforcement in the world…it shines compared to 95% of other nations

in many countries south of the border they would not even investigate unless they were bribed or the crime in some way threatened the illegal earnings of the Police,

America’s problem in this area is not law enforcement but the legal/judicial system…wait and see and then remember this.

• Tommy

We see missing persons reports in the news from time to time, but Annie Le’s murder is especially disturbing and sad to me. Maybe it is because of how kind and innocent she looks in her pictures (although I did not know her). Maybe it is because she was supposed to have been married by now. Maybe it is because my wife was Annie’s age when she married me. Maybe it is because Annie is Asian, like my wife, and about the same size physically. Maybe it is because the news stories described how she was stuck in the wall and it would take hours to get her out, and how it took a whole night to positively ID her, which makes me think she must have been hurt very badly (I really did not want to use a more graphic word). Maybe because I can’t help but wonder what kind of beast or monster could do this to a woman who is 4’11″ and weighs 90 pounds.

Actually, I think it is for all of those reasons that I’ve been so sad and disturbed by this. I cannot imagine what I would do if something like this happened to my wife, either before or after our wedding day. My thoughts and prayers are truly with her, and her fiance, and her family, and everyone affected by this. And I hope they come down on whoever did this, fast and hard.

And a special message for everyone here with your political agendas: You are almost as bad as Annie’s killer himself. You don’t give a rip about Annie Le; you are just using her murder as an excuse to advance your own political agenda. So take it somewhere else, anywhere else. But this is not the appropriate forum. Go march on Washington or something. You are disgusting.

• Danielle

@Gridlock – This was a lab facility…not a dorm room

• notaYalie

to Brian Muldoon especially …
    sorry, you do not seem to give a … for the victim either, you just advance your very own views … political agenda so to speak.
    Not to mean ill to the victim of this horrific crime.
    On the pictures that are shows she exhibits a lot more than innocence. She is beautiful, no doubt about that … but does she constantly need to flash all that beauty, or was it just journalism, that pretty – in more ways than one – photos of her are shown now?
    While many graduate student women of her age are pretty and beautiful, not all of them reveal themselves to this extent.

This is why I tried to bring attention to those Yale professors, whose affairs got hushed … and who knows who was wright, who was wrong, the wives forgave, life goes on.

If Annie Le the “scientist” would have discovered something outrageous, her fiance would know about that … if Annie Lee, the beautiful got stalked by someone, her fiance would probably know … if Annie Le had a secret … her fiance would be the last to know.

As for the pro-and-for-and-against PETA, ALF, vivisectionists … this was a graduate student not a full-fledged famous scientist.

She was a card-carrying researcher to an animal vivisectionist lab, that is correct, but even undergraduates are trained not to let strangers in after they use their electronic access cards. So this was indeed an inside job, and it’s unlikely that it was science related. The area was just convenient for one of the insiders.

• Hm

@#75

“And a special message for everyone here with your political agendas: You are almost as bad as Annie’s killer himself.”

Funny world you live in.

• notaYalie

so this little Innocent got killed because she realized that Dirac made a mistake …
    and she dared to communicate that with her Columbia Physics PhD soon-to-be husband.

Why don’t you make a google search for the name of Annie Lee (maybe typo was intented) and see what you find.

Paris Hilton would blush. Or she would just snatch the Physics PhD from Columbia.

• A Reader

First of all, I’m sorry because my bad English. I’m reading all this stuff but I still don’t know why she had been killed?

As I know the suspect is a technician from the lab, but why he had to commit such a terrible crime? All reasonable answer i could think is that he loved her and he couldn’t stand if she get married. Love can be strong after all.

Hai

• A

It’s funny that people are using this as an excuse to bash ALF actions when the ALF has never killed anyone, yet animal researchers kill living things all of the time. In fact, this looks like an inside job- likely a colleague with access to the building. I wonder if anyone will make the connection between animal researchers and their disrespect for nonhuman animal lives extending to disrespect for human animal lives…

It’s sad anyways, even if the woman was an animal killer. She didn’t deserve to meet this fate. I feel very bad for her family, especially her fiance.

• Howard

Re post from hmmm above— that is very interesting that the Chair of the Yale Pharmacology Dept. was sued for sexual harassment by an underling and stealing royalties from a former employer. Wonder if this is in part why Yale prez/admin. told all the staffers and students not to talk to the press. This case is getting more bizarre by the minute. I can only imagine what the workers in that building felt like when they found out Annie dead inside a wall. Discusting they didn’t shut bldg down until they figure this one out.

• NuHaven

By now it is obvious that the campus police chief is a joker. The guy has made a series of mistakes but only is good at playing politics. When someone is missing and there is no sign of the person leaving the bldg (the place the missing person was last seen), normal and competent law enforcement people would have seal off the bldg. But, nooooh! They gotta have some drama for a tastier results? I have no confidence in the armatures to find the killer of Annie Le. By the way, it took Yale officials, including the president,a long time to pronounce Annie’s last name correctly!

• Arthur Durnan

Restore the death penalty in Connecticut & make it retroactive to the day before the girl failed to return. One trial. One appeal. If failed, Zero Hour!

• Yale Parent

To #47, Chris$Dodd above, what on earth does DIVERSITY have to do with anything?? Can’t you let go of the DIVERSITY issue for 15 seconds–better yet, bury it once and forever. Diversity is nothing but a pc code word for bullying people into giving you what they want from you, quashing open dialog and freedom of speech, and a swell new way to intimidate others who don’t agree with you. What on earth is wrong with the human soul when the first thing they think about when a wonderful young student dies, is DIVERSITY???

• Krista

I think that was a horrible tragedy and i think that will remain in the hearts of many that have been close as friends even family. My deepest condolences may you find great comfort

• Peggy DeStefano

I have been following this case from California, and I must offer my congratulations on your presenting the most comprehensive and detailed coverage of this unfortunate tragedy. Even the NYT failed to provide the details of Ms. Le’s final day alive. Thanks Yalie Daily…it’s been 35 years since I left New Haven.

• cindy

How did it take 5 days to find her? Didn’t her body smell bad after so much time?

• BillSmith1

Abduction and sexual assault in the college campuses today appear to be very rampant. It seems schools are not the safe havens they once appeared to be. Are college women at higher risk for abduction and sexual assault than their non-college bound peers. That is why the congress has enacted several laws requiring schools to disclose their security procedures, report crime data, and ensure victims’ rights. The case of Ms. Le is still vague and it throws controversies and brings frustration to people of who is the real perpetrators of the crime. As a parent I’m quite worried about my two daughters regarding their safety and protection inside the school. I agree with the comment posted by Kim that we lost someone who would have contributed so much to our society. I’ve read an article on how to safeguard our children in times of danger, it is a program installed in the mobile phone that alarms your family and friends about your real situation. Try to visit http://SafeTREC.com/.

• Pingback: My Homepage

• Pingback: กระบอง

• Pingback: auto like

• Pingback: day trade

• Pingback: الايمي بروكر

• Pingback: love in long distance relationship

• Pingback: twitter

• Pingback: raising rabbits

• Pingback: هاست رایگان

• Pingback: pastillas para adelgazar

• Pingback: Internet casino

• Pingback: easy healthy recipes

• Pingback: Solar panels

• Pingback: work at home jobs

• Pingback: payday loans jefferson city mo

• Pingback: hcg diet

• Pingback: board certified plastic surgeon Scottsdale

• Pingback: no no hair removal reviews 2012

• Pingback: Psychic Readings

• Pingback: Evelyn Godwin

• Pingback: devenir rentier

• Pingback: surf city nc rentals

• Pingback: lactobacillus acidophilus probiotic review

• Pingback: Website

• Pingback: Vistaprint Discount Coupons

• Pingback: 1300 number

• Pingback: klasemen premier league

• Pingback: Exhibit,Exhibit Design,Exhibit Displays,Exhibit Booth,Exhibit Display,Trade Show Exhibit,Exhibit Booths,Exhibit Designer,Exhibit Rentals,Exhibit Rental,Exhibit Resources

• Pingback: Abstract Art

• Pingback: Fred Cedrick

• Pingback: candy crush saga game