Ten hour days, and still smiling

As police and law enforcement officials continue to search for Annie Le GRD ’13, onlookers raced to piece together her life story, hoping to find clues that could help resolve her case.

Le, who was reported missing Tuesday, is known for her work ethic. The 24-year-old graduate student spent 10 hours each day in her pharmacology lab, and lately, those hours had grown longer — Le was trying to get ahead before her Sunday wedding. She recently picked a topic for her dissertation: understanding how certain proteins are involved with metabolic diseases such as diabetes.

Le and her fiance, Jonathan Widawsky, were scheduled to wed on Sunday
Courtesy ofFacebook

Le’s parents, Robert Linh Nguyen and Ngoc-tuyet Bui, did not return telephone messages seeking comment Thursday. Neither did her fiance, Jonathan Widawsky, though University Vice President and Secretary Linda Lorimer said he is cooperating with the investigation.

Minh Nguyen, Le’s uncle, said he was shocked to learn of Le’s disappearance.

“I didn’t want to believe it; I just went numb,” he said, adding that Le and Widawsky visited him in California just four weeks ago.

Le is also known for her energetic demeanor. Le is set to marry Widawsky on Sunday at the North Ritz Club, a private reception hall in the Long Island hamlet of Syosset. Widawsky is Jewish, and in the last few months Le took on a side project in advance of the marriage: She began studying Hebrew.

She seemed “hell-bent on getting married,” Nguyen said. Indeed, in a series of Facebook status updates posted on Sept. 6 and Aug. 31, respectively, Le expressed her excitement about the coming wedding.

“Less than one week til the big day!”

“EEEEEKKK! 13 days til the wedding!”

And this, in a May 13 posting to Le’s wedding blog:

“In terms of consumables, I’m most excited about the pigs-in-a-blanket,” she wrote. “I love those yummy mini hotdog confections.”

“She was always talking about the wedding,” said Joseph Schlessinger, chair of the Department of Pharmacology. His department, Schlessinger said, “knows nothing” about Le’s disappearance. “We are just concerned; we are like her parents,” he said.

And they are praying for the safe return of the young woman whom faculty adviser and assistant pharmacology professor Anton Bennett dubbed a “fabulous student.” That praise was echoed by Le’s faculty mentor from her undergraduate studies at the University of Rochester.

“Annie is an outstanding student, smart, personable, and well-liked by everyone,” said Rocky Tuan, an expert on stem cell biology who now teaches at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Tuan, too, said he was shocked to hear of her disappearance.

Scott Bussom, an associate research scientist in the Pharmacology Department, works down the hall from Le’s lab — and before Tuesday, he saw her around all the time, he said.

“She seemed like a real hard worker,” Bussom said, “always here, always doing something.”

And wherever she went, Le was cautious. During the workday, Le was always “very transparent” about where she was going, Bennett said, keeping colleagues up to date on her whereabouts.

Seven months ago she wrote an article — “Crime and Safety in New Haven” — for B Magazine, a student-run publication at the Yale School of Medicine.

“New Haven is a city, and all cities have their perils,” she wrote, “but with a little street smarts, one can avoid becoming yet another statistic.”

In the article, Le offered her fellow Elis advice on how to avoid being robbed or having one’s car stolen in New Haven and interviewed James Perotti, chief of the Yale Police Department, who gave her six tips for preventing crime.

“She did not feel safe in New Haven,” Schlessinger said, adding that her 4’ 11” stature would have made her an easy target.

• Praying for her

My prayers are with her along with others. Times like these makes even progressive atheists at Yale pray to God.

• @1

“Times like these makes even progressive atheists at Yale pray to God”? As a progressive atheist, I just have to ask: are you kidding me? How about “Homework this boring makes even born-again Christians renounce Jesus”?

By all means express sympathy for Annie, but please don’t insult us while doing it. It’s patronizing and inappropriate.

• Peter Le

Please join this facebook group to support and pray for her,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=255400540701

• Cassandra Niemczyk

I would like to know the whereabouts of Jonathan Widawsky on the day Annie went missing. It is my understanding that Mr. Widawsky attends Columbia University. Express trains run between Grand Central Station and New Haven hourly, and more frequently during peak in the morning and evening. It would be easy for a person to hop a train to New Haven, commit a crime, and return to NYC before anybody knew that Annie was missing. I am not saying that Mr. Widawsky is responsible for Annie’s disappearance. I just would like to see a comprehensive account of his whereabouts.

• The Detective

Cassandra that’s a great idea, perhaps you should be a detective.

• Michael

I am friends with both John and Annie, and it would be quite unbelievable to suggest John had anything to do with Annie’s disappearance. I’d rather her be a missing bride than something worse happening to her. She is one of the best people I know, and it makes me sad to think about this.

• John

Cassandra…wow, I’m sure the police never thought of this angle…. geez, what do you think was the first thing they looked at???

• vic phil

i would like to know if there are any links or statements regarding Widawsky making a missing person report..all i learned is that the room mate made the initial report..just wondering..coz if i am about to get married really soon..i would be very concerned and vigilant on what is happening with my future partner or love ones..