Ambassador John Negroponte ’60 will join Yale’s faculty in July, the University announced today.

Negroponte, who served until yesterday as deputy secretary of state and was previously the country’s first director of national intelligence, will spend at least three years at Yale. In that time, he will co-teach the Studies in Grand Strategy seminar and will also teach undergraduate and graduate courses in international studies and international relations, the University said.

John Gaddis, director of the Brady-Johnson Program in Grand Strategy, said Negroponte brings a lifetime of experience that will benefit his students at Yale.

“Look at the number of jobs he’s held,” Gaddis said. “It’s quite remarkable. One of the things we’ve been trying to do in the Grand Strategy program is to bring more practitioners to campus, and we’re very fortunate to have landed him.”

Indeed, the 69-year-old Negroponte is nothing if not a diplomatic practitioner. Since graduating from Yale, where he was affiliated with Davenport College, Negroponte has devoted much of his career to foreign service. He has served as the United States Permanent Representative to the United Nations as well as ambassador to four countries — Honduras, Mexico, the Philippinies and Iraq — and was an important adviser to President George W. Bush ’68.

Negroponte will be the Brady-Johnson distinguished senior research fellow in Grand Strategy and lecturer in international affairs at the MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies, the University said. He will also join McLarty Associates, a global consulting firm based in Washington, D.C., as its vice chairman.