Landeta: YCC should work with, not for, students

Yalies who live on campus, eat in dining halls or participate in student organizations have been or will be impacted by the work of Katrina Landeta ’10.

Serving terms as both Yale College Council and Freshman Class Council representatives, Latenda has made her presence felt at Yale. Not only has Landeta chaired the YCC’s gender-neutral-housing committee, but she has also worked for better dining options, served on the YCC’s outreach team and coordinated CommUNITY week.

As a leader, Landeta says she is set apart by her involvements in multiple organizations beyond the YCC. Landeta is president of Yale’s Filipino club, and she also holds positions within the Asian-American Cultural Center, IvyCouncil, the Women’s Center and The Politic.

Landeta said her involvements in these organizations make her an “insider and an outsider to the YCC,” giving her an understanding of the needs of student groups on campus.

“YCC should work not only for students but also with them,” she said.

For this reason, as YCC president, Landeta said she would engage students in both the creation and maintenance of different campus initiatives.

To accomplish this goal, Landeta said she intends to allow students to present ideas for the Student Development Directive directly before the YCC. She would also implement weekly updates to keep students aware of important YCC initiatives.

Still, Landeta said one of her greatest priorities is to build a stronger community at Yale, especially given recent acts of hate speech on campus. Whether fighting for students favoring gender-neutral housing or soliciting ideas for campus initiatives, Landeta’s projects emphasize a close connection between students and the YCC, she said, which would only continue should she be elected president.

“It is essential that we have student input on each and every project we have,” she said.

Andrew Brannan ’09, who has worked with Landeta as a fellow YCC representative from Branford College, said that as a Branford representative, Landeta has been committed to keeping Branford students informed about YCC projects.

“She’s often volunteering to take the lead on projects,” he said. “She’s always attending the Branford College Council meetings … [and] always listening to the interests of Branford and acting on them.”

While her commitment in other campus groups may lessen if she is elected president, Landeta said her experience will allow her to meet the needs of all campus organizations.

“My involvements show how much energy I have for Yale,” Landeta said. “If I were to take on the position of president, I could focus all that energy on one role and on the needs of every group on campus.”

“That only comes with having experience in those kinds of campus groups,” she said.

Landeta hails from Winnetka, Calif., and attended Cleveland High School, where she was junior-class president and director of social events her senior year.

• Omar_Mumallah

Don’t mind Arafat all — check out all the other Ivy League campus newspapers, he posts there as well quite often, with the same sensationalist rhetoric and absurd accusations. Just see for yourselves. http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2010/12/07/actions-speak-louder-words

(S)he’s little more than a professional troll, and should be dismissed as such.

In any case, he doesn’t know me — for if he did (and everyone that knows me personally can vouch for me on this), he’d know that I reserve my most vicious criticisms are for those Arab regimes that brutalize their people, those of Saudi Arabia and Egypt [I should perhaps take this opportunity to urge all of those reading to stand in solidarity with those heroic protesters in Egypt, Muslim and Christian alike, and write to your Congressperson asking for an end to U.S. backing of the Mubarak security apparatus] being at the top of the list, and nearly all of which (with the notable exceptions of Syria, Libya, and Iran) receive colossal American financial and Israeli strategic backing.

@ Arafat — If you would like to exert the colossal amount of energy necessary to start up a student organization at Yale’s campus opposed to our government’s shameful support of these disgusting regimes, I would join in a heartbeat (of course you are surely not a Yale student or alum, nor do I think you care all that much about the lives of Egyptians, but let us assume for the sake of argument). Unfortunately people like yourself only bring up these issues in the Arab world in order to deflect criticism from Israel. A pity, we could use a broad-based activist movement pushing for an end to such destructive and stupid policies, though I’d daresay that the Antiwar and Palestine solidarity activists have been on the forefront of that endeavor in this country.

But perhaps most shameful is your blatantly cynical accusation of Antisemitism. You spit on the deaths of those who perished in the Holocaust and other cataclysms throughout the world as a result of antisemitism. Not only that, people you obfuscate and demean real antisemitic episodes with your cynical usage of the term. You do the Jewish people no favors in your disgraceful attempt to appropriate their suffering to defend the suffering of others. Makes me want to throw up things I long forgot ever eating.