First years, welcome to Yale! We are beyond excited for you to join campus, and we hope you join the Yale Daily News family! 

With over 140 years of history, the News is the Oldest College Daily, a financially and editorially independent daily newspaper that covers Yale and New Haven. Aside from our daily paper, we publish a magazine, run a weekly creative supplement on Fridays and dip into multimedia through Yale TV and our brand new podcasts.

We contribute to discourse on campus, in New Haven and around the world. With 16 desks, we have a spot for almost everyone — whether you’re a writer, artist, designer, photographer, film producer, web developer, data scientist, aspiring businessperson or even completely unsure of what you want to do at the News — we’d love to have you!

You can join the News during any point of the year and contribute as much or little as you’d like. You may check out our recruitment website for more information about our different desks and opportunities: 

The YDN does not require any prior experience, and there is no application to join — we welcome all students who have an interest in contributing or joining staff! We also provide financial aid to those who spend a substantial amount of time working for the News based on demonstrated financial need. This includes editors, as well as beat reporters.

If you are curious or interested in joining, fill out this interest form. The form is in no ways binding, so feel free to sign up even if you aren’t totally sure about joining. From there, you’ll hear from me, and I’ll add you to email lists based on your interests! I cannot wait to hear from you!

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I’ll get back to you!  (sammy.westfall@yale.edu)

With excitement,

Sammy Westfall, 

YDN Editor in Chief 

Nicole and Wes, both part of the Yale TV (YTV) video desk, with their new equipment
A photograph taken by Lukas Flippo, one of our first year staff photographers, while reporting on the Harvard-Yale Game protest
A writer and editor doing live edits for a University desk story
The Yale Daily News building is always full of laughs during production nights
Britton and Sammy, EICs for the board year 2020 and 2021 respectively, on the YDN’s 142nd birthday in January
Laura and Will recording in our new podcast studio
Three editors in the two-room, which is where we lay out the paper every night
Some of the City desk reporters and editors at the annual Yale Daily News banquet
Marisa and Asha with a stack of freshly printed YDN issues