Yasmine Halmane, Senior Photographer

As Halloween approaches, businesses and organizations from bars to child literacy nonprofits across New Haven are making preparations to celebrate the holiday.  

Nightclubs Toad’s Place and BAR are hosting costume parties on Halloween, while Witch Bitch Thrift will throw a “monster bash.” New Haven Reads’ costumed spelling bee fundraiser and the city’s Youth and Recreation Department’s “Trunk or Treat” offer family fun to all ages. 

Halloween-goers at BAR stand a chance at winning the grand raffle prize: a guitar signed by Tito’s Handmade Vodka. Other costumed guests can instead try their luck at costume contents offered by both BAR and Toad’s Place. 

The Halloween parties are split into public and Yale-only events. This weekend, Toad’s Place is hosting ticket-only costume parties, while next week’s programming will remain exclusive to Yalies.  

A Toad’s Place employee said the nightclub has five different Halloween parties starting this Friday, Oct. 25. 

“Hallowoads” — a spin on the weekly Yale-only Wednesday’s at Toad’s — this year will spill over into a two-day event next Wednesday and Thursday.  

Joining the Halloween fun, Witch Bitch Thrift will throw a “monster bash” party this Saturday night. This year’s party is their second time hosting the event. 

“The event is sober, which is refreshing given that it is the weekend before Halloween,” said Pheo Muncey, the event coordinator at Witch Bitch Thrift. “People that might not want to spend the weekend in bars but want to be around other people will have a space to do so.” 

The bash will include a costume contest, with the winner receiving a $100 gift card at Witch Bitch Thrift. 

Performing at the ‘monster bash’ are Dexx Delirium and Paxx Headroom — two drag kings based in Connecticut. “They are both very good at being incredible,” said Muncey. 

Beyond dance nights and bars, community-based organizations are also contributing to the festivities. New Haven Reads, a nonprofit that offers reading support for children, is having a ‘Halloween’ spelling bee. The competition doubles as a fundraiser for their literacy programs. 

This will be New Haven Reads’ 12th annual spelling bee. 

Hosted at the Yale School of Management and facilitated by Barbara Rockenbach, the University Librarian, Friday’s spelling bee exemplifies the strong relationship between Yale and the nonprofit, according to Fiona Bradford, the development and communications director of New Haven Reads.  

New Haven Reads also plans to make a stop at the “Trunk or Treat” event hosted in the Southern Connecticut State University parking lot. “We expect to give out 750 to 1,000 books,” said Bradford. 

Organized by the Youth and Recreation Department of the City of New Haven, the “Trunk or Treat” event is scheduled for Halloween night. Attendees will receive complimentary candy from any of the decorated trunks. 

The moon on Halloween night will be far from full at a waning crescent.

PABLO PEREZ