Courtesy of Yale University Properties

Before 2nd STREET opened its doors this Saturday morning, a line of customers welcomed the store as the newest addition to the Shops at Yale.

The grand opening of the second-hand clothing store kicked off at 9:45 a.m. at the approximately 7,600 square-foot location on Elm Street. 2nd STREET’s opening day comes eight months after L.L. Bean left the location in mid-February.

Wakasa Mizuno, 2nd STREET’s marketing officer, said that New Haven is a perfect location for the company’s first Connecticut storefront. 

“New Haven offers the ideal combination of a dynamic retail environment and a rich cultural scene that aligns with our brand’s values,” Mizuno said in a press release. “The city’s thriving, fashion-forward population makes it the perfect backdrop for 2nd STREET’s first step into the Connecticut market.”

Following a ribbon cutting and the official opening of doors at 10 a.m., the store filled with at least 100 customers. 

Finnegan Quinn ’27, who attended the opening, expressed his excitement about the arrival of the new store.

“Pretty close to my house in Portland, Oregon, there’s a 2nd STREET and it’s always been pretty good and pretty consistent, so I was excited to check out this one in New Haven,” Quinn said. 

2nd STREET has 42 locations in the U.S. — and over 700 globally. 

Roberaa Ayana ’25, who visited 2nd STREET on Monday, left with a full bag of clothes. He commended the store’s collection, citing his previous visits to locations in New York City.

“It’s nice to have something that’s not Lululemon, L.L. Bean or J press,” Ayana said. “I feel like this is accessible for everyone in general because they have such a wide variety of prices and different kinds of pieces.”

2nd STREET is the fourth resale fashion shop in the Yale University Properties’  portfolio in the past three years. A report by ThreadUp stated that the global second-hand market is set to nearly double by 2027, totaling $350 billion, according to a University Properties statement given to the News in April.

In the April statement, Alexandra Daum, associate vice president for New Haven Affairs and University Properties, stated that with recent momentum behind the fashion resale industry, now is the time to align Yale’s portfolio with the emerging market.

“We are fortunate 2nd Street chose New Haven and The Shops at Yale for the chain’s first location in Connecticut,” Daum said in a press release. “2nd Street’s value and eco-conscious options will appeal to a broad demographic, including New Haven residents, our student population and customers living outside of New Haven.

2nd STREET is located at 272 Elm St.

TYSON ODERMANN
Tyson Odermann is a sophomore in Pauli Murray College from Parshall, North Dakota. He covers business, unions, and the economy in the city of New Haven.