Yale School of Medicine

Yale’s Howard Forman, known to most as Howie, exemplifies interdisciplinarity at the University.  

Forman’s career spans multiple fields. He is a professor in four departments, an active emergency room clinician, the director and founder of Yale’s M.D./M.B.A. program, and the co-host of the weekly Health and Veritas podcast

At the core of Forman’s work is his commitment to improving patient care and healthcare. His focus is not confined to the hospital setting: it extends to the Senate floor, lecture halls and the digital world of X — formerly known as Twitter — where he has built a strong following.

“I just count myself as incredibly lucky to have crossed paths with him in life,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy MED ’03 SOM ’03 told the News. “I didn’t know at the time that I met a mentor for life when I met Howie Forman.”

Forman’s interest in medicine started early, with a science teacher father and a congenitally deaf sister bringing medical “themes” into his childhood. But despite these early influences, his career aspirations were initially modest — he never imagined “anything more than being a family practitioner,” Forman said.

As he pursued his education, his hunger for knowledge only grew, he said. He realized that medicine alone was not enough; Forman wanted to understand the larger social, economic and health policy factors that influence patient wellbeing. This interdisciplinary curiosity is what has driven his career ever since. 

Forman continues to apply this to his work today, looking beyond the scans in his radiology office into the lives of his patients. And his work as a radiologist is guided by this broader understanding of healthcare. 

Within the medical field, radiologists are stereotyped as sitting in a dark room, hardly interacting with patients, but Forman challenges this stereotype.

“I’m sure he’s one of the only people who does this, not just at Yale, but in the country: comes out to the emergency department every shift to go check in with every physician … meet patients,” Arjun Venkatesh, chair of the School of Medicine’s Emergency Medicine Department, said. “It’s like a breath of fresh air. It’s just an amazing testament to his commitment to patient care.” 

Beyond his work in the hospital, Forman is also deeply committed to communicating science to the public. For Forman, effective communication is just as important as medical research, especially in a world where misinformation is widespread.

He worked as a health policy fellow on Medicare legislation in the Senate. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Forman was a prominent voice in promoting accurate case tracking and prevention strategies. 

Handling both research and communication of that research is vital for scientists, a factor that many have realized after facing the COVID-19 pandemic, Forman told the News. When misinformation is rife in science, roles such as his are important to ensure that trust is built between scientists and the broader community. 

Forman co-hosts the “Health and Veritas” podcast, where he breaks down complex health topics for a broad audience. He also maintains an active X account, where he engages directly with the public on healthcare and policy issues. This emphasis on communication has become a hallmark of his career, illustrating his commitment to making science accessible and understandable to everyone not just experts. 

One of the most consistent themes that emerges when speaking with Forman’s colleagues is his deep commitment to mentorship. For Forman, being a professor is about much more than teaching it’s about forming lifelong connections with his students and mentees, helping them grow both professionally and personally. His former students often describe him as a mentor for life, someone who is available for advice, support and building connections.

“He never, to my knowledge, says “no” to anyone requesting his assistance,” Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, senior associate dean for leadership studies at the School of Management, said. “This means that he takes bold but responsible chances, constantly with a courageous expert voice, but also requires a 42-hour day, nine days a week. I do not know how he can accomplish all he does, beating the clock with a disarmingly unhurried, humble demeanor.”

According to his students and colleagues, Forman’s approach to mentorship is deeply personal. Instead of offering only academic or career advice, he takes the time to understand each of his mentees as individuals. Whether through a quick check-in email or a thoughtful introduction to a new opportunity, he consistently finds ways to support his mentees, no matter how busy his schedule gets.  

Forman’s mentorship extends beyond helping his students at the University. His ability to foster lasting relationships with his mentees, well beyond their time at Yale, is one of the defining aspects of his career.

“He’s been the most impactful mentor that I’ve had,” Murthy said. “He’s a powerful mentor when you’re with him as a student, but he stays in touch with his mentees for years and years afterward, and he helps them, always thinking about how he can make introductions and connections and provide support and advice to his mentees.”

The “Health and Veritas” podcast began in 2021.

ZOE BEKETOVA
JANICE HUR
Janice Hur covers the Yale New Haven Hospital for the SciTech desk. From Seoul, Korea, she is a sophomore in Morse majoring in Biomedical Engineering.