Yale Athletics

On Saturday night, the Yale Women’s Soccer team (6–3, 1–0 Ivy) etched their first conference victory in the books against Dartmouth (6–3–1, 0–1 Ivy) at Burnham Field in Hanover, New Hampshire.

For the past three years, the Bulldogs have failed to defeat the Big Green, with two of those three games ending in home losses. It was their turn to give Dartmouth a taste of their own medicine.

“1–0 each game has been our approach all season and this team has stayed so focused on that throughout the year,” Head Coach Sarah Martinez told Yale Athletics. “But I know this one was circled on the schedule wanting to set a tone in the Ivy League.”

Quickly into the first period, Dartmouth attacked Yale goalkeeper Kyla Holmes ’27. Despite pressure from the opposition, Holmes maintained the sanctity of her goal, making three saves in just the first period, keeping the Big Green at zero. Although just a sophomore, Holmes has started more games for the Bulldogs than any Yalie on the roster and has been a staple for their defense.

At 37:38 in the first period, Tanner Cahalan ’25 scored the first goal of the game on a strike from outside the box, assisted by Ashley Kirschner ’26. This was Cahalan’s second goal of the season. 

The team maintained that lead going into the second period until 56:01, when Dartmouth’s Daisy Granholm pushed past Yale defenders and tied the game, 1–1. 

As the clock dwindled, both teams desperately fought to avoid a tie in their Ivy League opener. 

At 84:29, Ellie Rappole ’25 raced down the far side of the field and shot the ball high over the head of the Big Green goalie, securing the game-winning goal. This was Rappole’s third goal, a total that leads the team.

This marked the team’s third win in a row. 

Martinez told Yale Athletics how impressed she was by the way her team performed.

“I am so proud of our team for this result,” she said. “The first half quality, the second half grit, and finding a way to get three points on the road is a huge accomplishment in this league.”

The Bulldogs match up against the Boston University Terriers (2–6–3, 2–0–1 Patriot) on Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at Reese Stadium in New Haven.  

MEREDITH HENDERSON
Meredith Henderson covers a variety of sports for the YDN. She is a sophomore in Saybrook College from Keller, Texas. She plays varsity softball and is double-majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in creative writing.