Anna Chamberlin

I was on the phone with my mom last Saturday, and she asked what I was up to. I was standing on the corner of Chapel and York, waiting to cross the street. It was pouring rain outside and freezing cold. “Not much,” I replied. “Just getting drenched.” All she had to say to that was: “Welcome to New England!” 

I wish that the rain and overcast skies would excuse themselves from New Haven. This past week in particular has been nothing but gloomy. A little sun wouldn’t hurt. Actually, it would help quite a bit. 

I’m from the Midwest. While the weather and temperature can be pretty similar at times, I will say, the rain here is far worse. Maybe it’s because I spend so much time outside, walking from place to place, but I swear, it rains here… A LOT. 

So, if you’re like me, and you’re looking for a way to make the rain go away (not really, but trying to make the most of it), I’ve got you covered — just not with an umbrella.

Venture to a new café or try a new drink from your favorite place 

Hanging out and working in a cozy environment, like a coffee shop, can make all of those gloomy feelings disappear. If you want your taste buds to sing while keeping yourself warm, may I suggest the French toast latte from Atticus? It’s a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. 

Have fun accessorizing

Who says that the rain has to dampen your style? Wear a cute raincoat and some rain boots, and use a fun patterned umbrella. If you have to leave your room, might as well leave in style. Don’t let the rain rain on your parade! Maybe you don’t have a cute pair of rainboots — yet — but you can always spend time online looking for the perfect shoes to make a splash in!

Try a new workout

There are so many gyms on this campus that it’s worth checking them out! Walk on the treadmill. Run on the treadmill. Cycle. Use the elliptical. Maybe even give the rowing machine a chance. You’ll definitely be drenched from this one, but at least not from the rain!

Listen to some music  

This could be the perfect chance to listen to some new songs and artists that you have been wanting to check out. Might I suggest “Umbrella” by Rihanna or “It Will Rain” by Bruno Mars?

Curl up in bed! 

This type of weather is the perfect excuse to have a lazy day in. Stay in bed. Wear sweats. Watch a show. Read a book. Sleep. This one is easy. Maybe a little too easy…