Yale Athletics

On Tuesday, the Yale women’s basketball team (0–3, 0–0 Ivy) faced the Boston University Terriers (3–0, 0–0 Patriot) away at Case Gymnasium in Boston, ultimately falling to the Terriers by seven points.

The team hit the road to Massachusetts as part of four consecutive away games. Coming off a tough loss to Saint Joseph’s the Saturday prior, the Bulldogs looked to best the Terriers and earn their first win.

The first period began with a foul that put the Terriers on the line, sinking two free throws twenty seconds into the game. The Bulldogs responded from there. A jumper by Mackenzie Egger ’25 and a layup by Nyla McGill ’25 kept Yale close to Boston. Further, a three-pointer from team captain Jenna Clark ’24 tied the game at 12–12 at the end of the first.

In the second, Boston began to pull away with a lead, but the Bulldogs continually battled back. Free throws by Kiley Capstraw ’26, along with a layup by Grace Thybulle ’25, who both had an excellent game against Saint Joseph’s, proved the Terriers defense breakable. The second period was the most successful for the Bulldogs, scoring thirteen total points. At the end, Boston had a five-point lead, 30–25.

After the half, Boston took a 10-point lead. Although both teams continually made great shots throughout the third, Boston outscored the Bulldogs by two points, sending the game to the fourth with a score of 43–36.

Capstraw came in hot in the fourth, scoring twice within 40 seconds. Clark followed her lead with a layup to bring the score to 45–42, with Boston leading only by three. This rally brought the Bulldogs as close as they would be to overtaking the Terriers. More points added by Christen McCann ’25 and McGill furthered the Yale total, but Boston broke away late in fourth to beat the Blue and White 60–53.

Both teams had points of success. 

For the Terriers, Caitlin Weimar had a great game, scoring 22 points in total. She also had 12 rebounds. Alex Giannaros had twelve points.

The Bulldogs’ post Brenna McDonald ’24 had ten rebounds, followed by McGill with eight, which allowed Yale a 42–28 rebounding advantage against Boston. Further, first year Lucy Lynn ’27 made her career debut as a substitute in the second period. Capstraw totaled a team-leading 14 points, with Clark behind her at 12. Clark also went 2-for-6 shooting three-pointers.

The Bulldogs play the Lehigh Mountain Hawks (3–0, 0–0 Patriot) this Friday at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. After that, they head to California for a pair of games against the University of the Pacific (2–0, 0–0 WCC) and the University of San Francisco (1–2, 0–0 WCC), which will finish out their stretch away from New Haven. 

They will return home on Nov. 28 after the break to play Marist (1–1, 0–0 MAAC).

MEREDITH HENDERSON
Meredith Henderson covers women's basketball and field hockey. She is a first-year in Saybrook College from Keller, Texas. She plays varsity softball and is majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing.