Karla Cortes, Contributing Photographer

New Haven marked Veterans Day with speeches, music and a presentation of colors.

New Haven’s annual Veterans Day Ceremony, organized by Mayor Justin Elicker’s Veteran Affairs Advisory Committee, took place Saturday at City Hall. The ceremony, honoring all who have served in any war, welcomed Mark Osenko, commander corporal of American Legion New Haven Post 210, as its keynote speaker. 

“Today is not just another day,” Osenko said. “It is bigger than you or me. It serves as a reminder of why we are free.” 

Colors were presented by the Connecticut Minuteman Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol. Members of the squadron expressed their admiration for the troops they honor each time colors are presented. 

The squadron, which is based in East Haven, had presented colors at the New Haven Veterans Day ceremony in previous years, Julie Cruz, a member of the squadron, told the News. She said they hope to return in the future. 

“It really opened [our] eyes to see that even after people are in the service, they still offer to have ceremonies and respect the people that are in the service,” Chief Master Sergeant Victoria de Lima said of the squadron.

The event also featured musical performances by Music Haven’s Advanced High School Ensemble and musicians Ruth Rosas and Peter Cannon. 

Music Haven played the Armed Forces Medley, which incorporates the marching songs of all six branches of the United States military. Philip Boulanger, the education director at Music Haven, told the News that the event allowed him and his ensemble to feel connected to the New Haven community.

“I love whenever we’re playing the armed forces medley and you can see different people in the audience, different veterans, when their branch’s theme comes they stand up a little bit taller and start singing along,” Boulanger said. “Connecting with that sense of comradery to music is really wonderful.”

The national anthem was also performed at the ceremony, which preceded remarks by Elicker. 

In his speech, Elicker honored veterans, commended their sacrifices and shared the sense of admiration he said he feels for those who have served. 

I wish to have the kind of commitment to the country and families while serving and the courage to put myself in harm’s way to protect ones that I know and some I don’t even know,” Elicker said.

He also awarded a plaque to Eddie Higgins and Shane Carty, the owners of Trinity Bar, whom Elicker praised for their relationship with New Haven veterans. This has manifested through fundraisers like “Touch a Veteran” Night and a booth at the bar for veterans to create community within the establishment. 

Britt Conroy, a member of the Veterans Affairs Committee who served in the United States Air Force, spoke with the News about the importance of the city’s support in holding events like these for New Haven veterans. 

“I think it’s such a great thing that the city does this every year. We do ceremonies for Veterans Day and for Memorial Day,” Conroy said. “I think it’s very important and I feel very fortunate that New Haven cares enough to continue this and to have a Veterans Affairs Committee for the city.”

Osennko, the event’s principal speaker, spoke to honor all branches of the military as one community. He said he is grateful to have met individuals from all walks of life during his military service. 

After the event, Osenko and his wife, Ryan Dostie-Osenko, told the News that another great aspect of the event was the opportunity to meet veterans from across New Haven.

Jack Mordenty, a veteran who recently retired as the coordinator of veterans and military affairs at Southern Connecticut State University, thanked Osenko for “capturing the moment of today and the union of it.” Mordenty told the News he felt a special bond to his comrades, no matter their branch, which broadens the community he is a part of. 

After the speeches, attendees moved across Church Street to place commemorative wreaths on the New Haven Green’s World War II memorial. 

Veterans Day takes place on Nov. 11 every year.

KARLA CORTES
Karla Cortes covers International Relations at Yale under the University Desk. She is a first-year in Silliman College majoring in Political Science.