Melany Perez

This past summer, I spent a lot of time thinking about what I might need to bring for my first year of college. I watched YouTube videos, read articles and made multiple packing lists. I couldn’t really fathom how I was ever going to be able to pack everything I needed to bring into the trunk of the car. Ultimately, I did alright, but of course wound up forgetting some important items, including my Crocs. 

In addition to sheets, toothpaste and enough socks, I knew it was important to also think about what I’d be bringing to share with my suitemates. We coordinated a fridge, a microwave and gloves for cleaning the bathroom. We neglected to discuss vacuums and now have three.

One object we talked about only in passing was a speaker. Two of my suitemates mentioned they were bringing speakers, but it wasn’t totally obvious if these were for their personal use or for the suite as a whole. We didn’t speak much of it, but the question of a speaker lived in the back of my mind.

It was sitting there, in a far corner of my brain, when one day I walked into a Salvation Army back home in Chicago. I wandered the aisles with some friends and, by some miracle, struck gold. Sitting on the shelf was a classic, a legend, an icon of our times: “Boombox Couture’s Wireless Express Mini Boombox with LED Speakers – Retro Bluetooth Speaker w/Enhanced FM Radio – Perfect for Home and Outdoor (Retro).” 

With its flashy colors and eye-like speakers, the boombox immediately drew me in. I was curious about its functionality, given its location on a shelf otherwise occupied by dusty wine glasses and a few rustic picture frames. I powered it on and was greeted by a charming voice declaring that, “the bluetooth device is ready to pair.” I connected my phone, lowered the volume on the boombox and chose “Bikini Bottom” by Ice Spice to test the sound.

I was impressed. The speakers lit up, flashing green, blue and red with every downbeat, and the sound quality was great. I decided that this mysterious boombox must come with me to college. I had visions of myself in a “Say Anything” scene, the retro boombox held bravely above my head outside Durfee Hall as I asked my crush to be my date to Mormal to the tune of “Munch”.

A few weeks after move-in, our common room was pretty bleak. Our only decorations were the promotion flyers various clubs had slipped under our door. I decided it was time to introduce the boombox to the suite, so I brought it out and set it front and center on the mantle above our obsolete fireplace. 

For a while, the boombox was the only pop of color in the suite. We’ve since added LEDs and improved our wall decoration situation, but the boombox remains in its place of honor. It’s flashy, fabulous and FM tuned — we can listen to the radio, but we more frequently opt to use the bluetooth feature. Everyone uses the boombox fairly regularly.

Finding the boombox was lucky. My suitemates have their own speakers that they can use whenever they want in their rooms, and the boombox is perfect for when we’re hanging out in the common room. The only problem, though, is that I have yet to have my “Say Anything” moment. If anyone is looking for a date to Mormal and interested in a grand gesture, please do contact me.