Yale Athletics

This past Friday, the Yale field hockey team (5–8, 2–3 Ivy) took on the Dartmouth Big Green (5–7, 1–4 Ivy) at home at Johnson Field, securing their second Ivy League win of the season. 

After a loss against Cornell University (10–3, 4–1 Ivy) last Saturday, the Bulldogs looked to earn another win on the road to the Ivy League tournament. One spot remains in the tournament, alongside Harvard (10–3, 5–0 Ivy), Cornell and UPenn (6–7, 4–1 Ivy), which have already secured spots.

Ellie Barlow ’25 told the News that the team was driven by the prospect of extending its season.

“Going into the game we were all pretty motivated,” Barlow said. “We knew that to make the Ivy tournament we would have to win, so we all really wanted this win to keep our season going.”

The first period began quickly with shots by Emma Ramsey ’27 and Lily Ramsey ’25, 04:13 and 07:43 minutes into the game, respectively, but neither team found themselves able to score. 

The Big Green struck first during the second period with a shot and goal by Lucia Campano 22:27 minutes into the game.

Barlow said the team was confident enough not to worry about the opposing goal.

“The goal was a bit of a breakaway for them, so I think it was just having confidence that we were playing the better game and the goal would come for us,” she said.

The third period saw the Bulldogs’ response, which came as a Colette Staadecker ’25 goal, evening the score at 1–1. Staadecker’s second goal of the season was assisted by Keely Comizio ’25 and Barlow.

The game quieted from there, with both teams taking shots but failing to hit. The Bulldogs outshot Dartmouth 14 to 5, with 8 shots on goal, slowly adding pressure throughout the game. Almost every Bulldog on the field took at least one shot, with Poppy Beales ’26 taking the most with 6. 

Despite the pressure on net from both sides, the Big Green and the Blue and White pushed into overtime.

Lily Ramsey told the News that acknowledging mistakes and adapting to the opponent allowed them to succeed.

“After the first goal, we came together and reassured ourselves that there was still a lot of time left to play,” she said. “We acknowledged our mistakes but moved on from them quickly as we knew that we were capable of dominating the game if we just played strong and composed two-touch hockey. In the second half, we adjusted to Dartmouth’s play by being more aggressive on our press and having an intercepting mindset, which allowed us to play more on the front foot.”

Just two minutes into overtime, Beales scored on an assist from Maddy Wong ’24, sealing the win for the Bulldogs. 

The goal was Beales’ second overtime game-winner in just 10 days; she was also the hero of the team’s last game against Brown. Beales talked about the momentum of the team with the News.

“Going into overtime, it felt like the momentum was with us having played better in the second half and scoring to tie the game,” she said. “We knew what we had to do and [we] all stepped back out there ready to give it all to get the win.”

With three regular season games left, the Bulldogs head to New York next to face the Columbia Lions (3–10, 0–5 Ivy).

MEREDITH HENDERSON
Meredith Henderson covers women's basketball and field hockey. She is a first-year in Saybrook College from Keller, Texas. She plays varsity softball and is majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing.