Chris Tillen

Upon arriving at Yale as a bushy eyed first-year, I wasn’t just shocked by the sheer size of Econ 115 or the crushing weight of taking French. While adrift in the sea of humanity flowing out of Marsh lecture hall, I noticed bit by bit that there was not a single bad outfit. Somehow, nearly 500 Yalies had decided that they would pull out a solid fit to attend our 1 p.m. lecture.

At Yale, it appears that everyone is shockingly well-dressed. Now, this may look different for different people. For example — while they looked fantastic — I only saw one person rocking a full suit and tie during the lecture. Yet, regardless of one’s individual fashion sense, our campus is peppered with many worthy fits.

The concept of ‘Yale’ conquers images of cookie cutter outfits composed of Vineyard Vines, plaid prints and pastels. While the trust-fund vibe does exist, fashion here is more than the reputation of a New England prep school. Even with the diversity of styles, there are still some hot items for all to enjoy. 

Not-Your-Average-Leather-Jacket 

The first fashion trend I noticed across the board was leather jackets. Now we aren’t talking about the Danny Zuko “Greased Lightning” leather jacket — today’s leather jackets are built like classic blazers, with longer silhouettes and three buttons in front. These can be thrown over jeans and a crew neck or they can be added to a pantsuit. Some come with wrap around belts, others with shearling lining. Whether the jacket is any shade of brown or black, leather brings flavor to a blazer and elevates any typical jacket. 

A pair of jeans that fits just right?? 

As a victim of the skinny jean plague, this one hits close to home for me. Did I previously think that fashion could only be achieved if I wore jeans that were “extra skinny” and two sizes too small for me? Indeed. Did they rip during a tap dancing concert? Indeed. Yet now, I am inspired by just how many people have said no to suffocating their bottom half and have instead decided to wear comfier, baggier, pants. From cargo pants to work pants, wider pants are certainly popular on campus. While I’m inclined to say that all fashion has a place at Yale, skinny jeans are the exception. A pair of skintight jeans that fit you like saran wrap on a middle school sandwich are firmly “not” rather than “hot.” Good thing we’re moving away from that…

Warm Hug Sweaters 

Another trend with a personal spin is the employment of thick, baggy, sweaters. Yet the nature of this sweater is up to the wearer. Take the person I saw rocking a watermelon and pizza cardigan. Alternatively, others might opt for a classy knit quarter zip. Personally, I can only hope that someone saw me in my olive green crew neck and thought, “God, that man is fashionable.” But ultimately, there is one sweater we can all adore: the cream cable-knit. Whether your inspiration is Chris Evans in Knives Out or Yale’s own Rory Gilmore, everyone can (and should) strut this sweater around campus. 

Denim on Denim on Denim on Denim  

We all love denim. But is there such a thing as too much denim? Some might scoff at the concept of a Canadian tuxedo, but, after witnessing Yalies sport this look in the wild, I have to say I’m a fan. Regardless of the shade of denim, from the most acid wash blue to pure black, denim on denim is an aesthetic that unites order and ruggedness. A denim suit might even bring us closer to the glorious day where we all wear business casual attire to our 9am class. 

Boola Boola 

Of course, there is also one unifying fashion trend: The letters Y-A-L-E. For some, they can even make athleisure look like it belongs on a runway in Italy. From a dry-fit Yale T-shirt to that one classic sweater with a Y in the middle, Yale merch is (inevitably) all over campus. Now, if purchased at the bookstore, Yale merch might cost you your first-born. But, when one looks elsewhere, a solid navy crew neck marries school pride and simple, elegant, fashion. 

CHRIS TILLEN
Chris is an associate beat reporter for Student Life. He is a freshman in Morse studying Ethics, Politics, and Economics.