Yasmine Halmane, Senior Photographer

Due to nationwide COVID-19 vaccine shipment delays, the University will allow individuals insured by Yale Health to get their vaccinations at pharmacies outside the Yale Health system.

Madeline Wilson, chief campus health officer, wrote in a Thursday email that Yale Health has begun to receive new supplies of vaccines, but “initial demand will be high” and “appointments may fill quickly.” 

In the meantime, Yale Health leaders removed the restriction that requires Yale Health members to receive vaccinations “in network,” which includes sites at Yale Health and its vaccine clinics.

“In light of the evolving nature of the national delays in distributing COVID-19 vaccine supplies, we felt it was important to suspend that in network requirement and allow our members to access vaccines at outside pharmacies,” Wilson wrote to the News.

The updates in vaccine supply come after Jason Fish, CEO of Yale Health, and Wilson wrote to students in a Monday email that limited supplies of pediatric vaccines were available and adult vaccines were “anticipated soon.”

The updates apply to individuals insured by Yale Health, which includes students who are on Hospitalization/Speciality Care Coverage and students on the Yale Basic plan, according to Wilson.

Nationally, there has been a shortage of vaccine supplies, with supplies arriving slower and in fewer quantities than expected. In their email, Fish and Wilson wrote that while vaccines are available at some retail pharmacies, supplies have been “unreliable” and some have experienced difficulty in getting appointments.

“The widespread vaccine supply problems became clear last week when our own scheduled deliveries were pushed off by the suppliers that we use, prompting our decision to open our network,” Wilson wrote.

To use Yale Health insurance at outside pharmacies, Yale Health members must print out their Yale Health insurance card to present to the pharmacy, and the pharmacy will bill Yale Health directly. For members who got a vaccination before Oct. 1, Yale Health will offer reimbursement.  

Wilson’s Thursday update included a link to the Yale Vaccine Program’s Flu COVID Finder, which allows students, faculty and staff to book vaccination appointments at campus clinics.

Arden Parrish ’25 said that they got their COVID-19 booster at Rite Aid on Tuesday after not being able to find appointment availability at Walgreens or CVS. 

Parrish added that they sought out the vaccine because they are immunocompromised and were concerned about the uptick in COVID-19 cases on campus last month.

“I think that for the safety of their students and faculty, it’s only right that they make those vaccines accessible elsewhere if they can’t provide them directly,” Parrish told the News. “For some of us, it is still just as scary as it was back in 2020 because no matter how many boosters I get, COVID-19 is still dangerous to someone like me.” 

In her Thursday announcement, Wilson said that while COVID-19 emergency room visits have plateaued in recent weeks, they remain higher than summer levels. She wrote that the University appears to have “passed [the] early September peak of COVID cases.”

Lucas Aurore ’26 said that he supports Yale Health’s new policies and believes it is important for Yale Health members to remain up to date on their vaccines.

“I personally don’t get sick hardly at all, but that doesn’t matter — I can still spread sickness without symptoms and I don’t want to get my friends sick,” Aurore said.

Wilson added that Yale Health has “plenty” of flu vaccines. This semester, the flu vaccine requirement is limited to health care students, but all other members of the Yale community are “strongly encouraged” to get their flu shot.

Yale Health Center is located at 55 Lock St.

TRISTAN HERNANDEZ
Tristan Hernandez is the 147th Editor in Chief and President of the Yale Daily News. He previously served as a copy editor and covered student policy & affairs and student life for the University desk. Originally from Austin, Texas, he is a rising junior in Pierson College majoring in political science.