At the risk of becoming even more of a Yale pariah, I come to you today offering an addendum to the COVID-19 emails that, in year four, are still a staple of our inboxes.

I come to you, because like it or not — and I promise you, it’s mostly not — I am “that COVID girl,” and, being back at Yale, there’s no way to forget it. I’m “that COVID girl” since after three years of long COVID, my sister cannot stand up for more than a minute at a time. Since I tried “normal” life at college, and got sick three times in my junior year — an experience I found far worse than any precautions. Since I was boosted, had “immunity” from prior infection, was masking almost everywhere and still for months couldn’t force my brain to write in full sentences. 

People say “we have the tools” to promise you no longer have to worry about COVID. But I’m “that COVID girl” because I know that just “having” the current tools isn’t enough. For COVID-19 to be an actually manageable risk, we need better tools and we need to communally, systemically use everything we have.

So here goes:

The current state of COVID-19

As Chief Campus Health Officer Madeline Wilson rightfully noted, COVID-19 is back on the rise. You probably already know — I’m guessing more of your friends are sick than usual. We’ve undone our testing infrastructure and stopped counting cases, but a combination of anecdotal, hospitalization and wastewater counts still provide a picture. 

And while we may be starting out with a lower baseline than last August, wastewater levels are more comparable to the August before then. Then, our vaccines were much fresher and therefore more effective, masks were still required in all Yale spaces besides the dining halls and we had mandatory PCR testing to keep our community safe from the rising threat of the delta variant. 

Which is just to say: There’s been a lot of change, and not all of it tracks the virus itself.

Reinfection

Reinfections are common, even with vaccination and within 90 days. That is not good. Studies point to increased risk of adverse outcomes upon reinfection. I’m sorry.

Long COVID

Ten percent of vaccinated infections come with symptoms that last for more than six months. A CDC report found that 80 percent of people with long COVID reported trouble performing day-to-day activities. It’s not always debilitating, but it’s never good. And long COVID can be progressive — it’s hard to tell Yale students to slow down, but if you experience post exertional malaise after a COVID-19 infection, please pace yourself.

Yes, vaccination likely reduces the risk of long COVID. Current antivirals like Paxlovid might also reduce risk by around a quarter. That’s an excellent reason to get and stay up to date with vaccination and seek treatment. But it doesn’t even approach eliminating the risk. Long COVID remains a risk of any infection — and there are strategies for managing it, but zero available effective treatments. 

Testing

Negative doesn’t mean not infected. Some tests only work at the beginning of symptoms, some don’t work until day five or later. It can be hard to get a good sample when swabbing. Rapids pick up maybe 60 percent of cases. Above all listen to your body; keep testing even beyond what is required. This is the truth underlying Yale’s new guidelines, if not the messaging they use to promote them.

Masking

Masking with a well-fitting respirator (aka KN95, N95) lowers your risk of transmission and infection. Two-way remains much more effective, even after authorities switched to talking about “individual preference.” So it’s hard to be the one “still masking.” But it keeps people safe. Take pride in it.

I’m not trying to scare you or judge you. Everyone does what they need to do. But do it please with a little perspective, and with all the information. COVID-19 is not over; what we do about that still matters.

Recently, I was told that it seems like COVID-19 has become a part of my identity; people worry about me. That I make people think about COVID-19, and no one wants that. The fact is I do make people think about COVID-19, but not because it’s an identity. I’m truly sorry to burden you. But COVID-19 is not an identity, it’s just my life.

COVID-19 is my life and I pray it doesn’t have to be any of yours. But until it actually goes away, until we’re doing all we can and not leaving it to individuals to fend for themselves, until we get effective treatments for long COVID, it will be my burden to make people think about COVID-19. All I’m asking is that you maybe listen, do what you can for yourself and others and don’t hold it against those of us who still care about COVID-19.

Ruthie Davis is a senior in Benjamin Franklin College. Contact her at ruth.davis@yale.edu.