MuscoSportsPhotos.com

Yale men’s baseball (14-19, 8–7 Ivy) competed in a midweek game against Quinnipiac University (14–19, 7–5 MAAC) in Hamden on Wednesday. 

The Bulldogs fell to the Bobcats 11–4 in a run-packed game. Over the weekend, the Blue and White then continued Ivy play with games against the University of Pennsylvania, 23–12, 11–4 Ivy, at Meiklejohn Stadium in Philadelphia with a double header on Saturday and a game on Sunday. 

“We are showing so much progress in areas that we have worked on all year,” Coach Brian Hamm wrote to the News. “Our pitching was outstanding this week, credit goes to our veteran pitchers for their leadership and our pitching coach Chris Wojick for developing our pitchers and putting together an effective plan against opponents’ hitters.”

Bryant Reese ’24 started on the mound for the Bulldogs in their midweek game against the Bobcats. Quinn Cleary ’23, Ethan Lewis ’26, Josh Richardson ’24, Jimmy Chatfield ’24 and Jamis DeKay ’24 all pitched for the Elis on Wednesday. 

Scoring didn’t get started until the top of the fifth when the Bulldogs scored off an error by the Bobcat’s third baseman. Max Imhoff ’25 brought in the run for the Blue and White. In the top of the sixth Jeff Pierantoni ’24 singled to left center, which brought both Davis Hanson ’26 and Jake Williams ’24 home, bringing the score to 3–0. 

In the bottom of the sixth, the Bobcats brought in five runs, bringing the score to 5–3 to start the seventh. In the top of the eighth, the Bulldogs brought in their fourth and last run of the game after AJ Gaich ’23 stole third and then was able to come home off an error by the Bobcats’ third baseman. 

However, the Bobcats then brought in the last six runs of the game in the bottom of the eighth, securing the victory. The ninth inning remained scoreless and the final score of the game was 11–4.

On Saturday, the Bulldogs started the morning with a 4–0 win over the Quakers, but fell in the afternoon in a close 1–0 loss. 

In their match in the morning, the Blue and White scored the first run of the game in the top of the first after Chatfield doubled down the left field line, bringing Gaich home. The Bulldogs brought another run in after Swank doubled down the left field line, which brought Alec Atkinson ’24 home.

The score stayed 2–0 throughout the game until the top of the eighth when the Eli’s brought the last two runs of the game in. Gaich brought in the third run and Chatfield brought in the fourth after stealing home. The Quakers remained scoreless.  

“Game one was definitely the highlight of the weekend,” Reese wrote to the News. “Seeing our hitters score a couple of runs early against Penn’s formidable pitching staff and then watching our own staff shut them down for 9 innings gave the whole team energy.” 

In the second game on Saturday, the game remained scoreless until the bottom of the ninth when the Quakers sneaked a run in off a wild pitch to win the game 1–0.

Colton Shaw ’25 started on the mound for the Bulldogs and threw eight scoreless innings in the afternoon.

In their last game of the series, the Quakers got the scoring started in the bottom of the first, bringing seven runs in. The Bulldogs brought their first and only run of the game home in the top of the fourth after Williams doubled down the left field line, which brought Gaich home. 

In the bottom of the sixth, Penn brought in three more runs, making the score 10–1. Penn then scored the final run of the game in the bottom of the eighth, bringing the game score to 11–1.

Shaw expressed his excitement about the team’s upcoming games against Princeton on Apr. 29 and 30.

“This is obviously a big one for us so I’m looking forward to how we compete,” Shaw wrote to the News. “We have been competing these past couple of weeks and some things haven’t been going our way, but that hasn’t seemed to stop us. We are going to bring that same intensity and I’m excited for this next challenge.”

Looking ahead, the Bulldogs will host Princeton University (18–17, 5–2 Ivy) in a three-game series at the George H.W. Bush ’48 Field at home in New Haven.  

BETSY GOOD
Betsy Good is an editor for the sports desk. As a staff writer, she covered the women's field hockey, men's and women's squash and men's baseball teams for the sports desk. She is a junior in Pierson College from Cincinnati, Ohio, majoring in History.