Amay Tewari, Senior Photographer

Renee Kopkowski is set to take the helm of Yale’s Office of Public Affairs and Communications, or OPAC.

In an email announcement on Wednesday, University President Peter Salovey named Kopkowski as the new vice president of communications at Yale. Kopkowski, who currently serves as vice president for institute communications at the Georgia Institute of Technology, has “extensive experience” across academic, non-profit, and corporate institutions, Salovey wrote in the email. She has previously served as president and partner of the consulting firm Strat-igence, Inc. and senior director of global communications for Mars Inc. Kopkowski will officially step into the role on April 1.

“I have worked in a variety of public and private environments throughout my career,” Kopkowski told the News. “In my experience, good listening, transparency, and open communications are key to engaging people so they are informed and feel like part of an active community.”

According to Kopkowski, she will spend the first 60 to 90 days in her new role gaining an understanding of the University strategy and goals, as well as what is currently being planned within OPAC. She committed to not only meet with each member of OPAC, but also to remain in regular contact with the students, faculty, staff and alumni who are impacted by communications at Yale.

OPAC partners with schools and departments to publicize and promote the University as well as connect faculty and staff members through communication channels. The office manages media relations, news and events, internal communications and digital strategy for the University, among others.

“What I know now is that Yale has contributed to society and shaped leaders who have improved the world around them for over 300 years,” Kopkowski told the News.

The Clemson graduate will replace Karen Peart, who took on an interim role following the announcement that Nick Nickerson would resign to assume a communications role at a Palo Alto venture capital firm.

“It’s been an honor to serve as interim vice president, and I’m deeply grateful to have had the opportunity to lead my remarkable OPAC colleagues during this transition,” Peart told the News. “We warmly welcome Renee, and we look forward to supporting her vision for communications at Yale.”

Following the transition, Peart will continue her full-time senior leadership role as the University’s spokesperson and media relations lead.

Salovey expressed his confidence in Kopkowski’s ability to lead communications at Yale. 

“Through effective, strategic storytelling, Renee and her staff have increased the breadth and quality of social and traditional media coverage of faculty research, campus life, and educational programs,” Salovey wrote in his statement announcing the appointment.

The Office of Public Affairs and Communications is located at 2 Whitney Ave.

WILLIAM PORAYOUW
William Porayouw covered Woodbridge Hall for the News and previously reported on international strategy at Yale. Originally from Redlands, California, he is an economics and global affairs major in Davenport College.