Yale Athletics

This weekend, Yale’s field hockey (9–8, 3–4 Ivy) team competed in their final game of the season against Cornell University (10–7, 4–3 Ivy) in Ithaca at Dodson Field. 

In a tight match, the Blue and White fell to the Big Red for their last game of the season with a final score of 1–0. Cornell scored the lone goal of the game in the second half. After a hard-fought season, the Bulldogs finished sixth in the Ivy League. 

“Even though the game didn’t go our way, we had fun out there because it was the last time this team would play together,” Julia Freedman ’25 said. “Every one of us left it all out on the field, which is all you can ask for.” 

The beginning of the first period began with an aggressive push by the Bulldogs, but no goals were scored for either team in the first.  

Two minutes into the first period, Lily Ramsey ’25 attempted a wide shot. A minute later, Ellie Barlow ’25 took two back-to-back penalty corners. In the next two minutes, Barlow took three more penalty corners, while Theodora Dillman ’23 and Ashley Kim ’24 took a shot each. 

The Bulldogs outshot the Big Red in the first period with four shots to two. Cornell turned it around after the first period and ended up outshooting the Bulldogs for the rest of the game. The Big Red had 12 shots with five on net while the Bulldogs finished the game with seven shots, three on net. 

Bulldogs’ goalie Luanna Summer ’24 played in every game for the Blue and White this season. 

“What I’m most proud of regarding this season is the growth that was achieved throughout this season and the grit shown,” Summer wrote to the News. “Although the season had its ups and downs, everyone still showed up and fought during every game. We really built a great foundation for spring training and I’m excited to start work in the spring.”

Kim, Dillman and Freedman were the only Bulldogs to take a shot on net. Each attempted one shot on goal during the game against the Big Red, with Freedman’s attempt coming in the second period.  

While the Bulldogs fell to Cornell for their final game, their last two games against University of Pennsylvania (7–10, 4–3 Ivy) and Dartmouth College (3–14, 0–7 Ivy) were hard-fought wins. The Blue and White beat UPenn 3–2 in an overtime thriller and Dartmouth 2–1

“We learned how strong we are, especially when we work together and stick together,” Alexa Pitts ’25 said. “I think the sky is the limit with this group of girls, and we’re ready to put in the work in the off-season.”

After their week off, the Bulldogs will get right back into training to prepare for upcoming scrimmages and the 2023-24 season. 

BETSY GOOD
Betsy Good is an editor for the sports desk. As a staff writer, she covered the women's field hockey, men's and women's squash and men's baseball teams for the sports desk. She is a junior in Pierson College from Cincinnati, Ohio, majoring in History.