muscosportsphotos.com

The Bulldogs (7–5–3, 2–1–2 Ivy) own Reese Stadium. 

With what is now a record five straight shutouts, Yale is unbeaten at home. Saturday’s match against Columbia University (7–4–3, 3–2–1) extended what is now a seven-game win streak in Blue and White territory.

In a battle for third place and also on senior night, the Bulldogs triumphed over the Lions in a match that ended 1–0. Marz Akins ’25 was the author of the goal with an assist from Ellie Rappole ’25.

“It felt amazing to score the game-winning goal during a physical game against Columbia,” Akins wrote to the News. “It is a testament to all the hard work put into our preparation leading up to the game and the versatility of our back line to also be dangerous in the attack.”

The goal took place in the 38th minute of the first half. Rappole had the ball on the left side of the field, and delivered a cross into the box straight to Akins, who dodged a Lions defender and brought the ball to the net. 

The California native’s goal was the sole point of the match. This was also Akins’ first career goal playing for the Bulldogs.

“I wouldn’t have been able to get the opportunity to score without Ellie’s aggression and dominance offensively,” Akins wrote. “It felt amazing getting my first career goal at Yale and I look forward to scoring more!”

The defense shined once again on Saturday night as they kept the score 1–0. Columbia had eight shots on goal and twelve shots total. Marisa Shorrock ’24 did not let a single ball reach her net, with a wave of six saves that came during the second half. 

Shorrock reminded the News that with this win, the women’s squad has now set the record for the most number of consecutive shutouts in Yale women’s soccer history. The previous record was set in 2004 with four straight clean sheets. This squad one-upped that record with five consecutive shutouts.

“The constant communication, trust, and heroics of our back line have been instrumental in these shutouts,” Shorrock wrote, crediting her defense. “Whenever we end with zero on the board, it’s truly a team effort.”

The match was bound to be a tough one as both teams were battling for third place in Ivy League rankings. The Blue and White’s win likely secured their spot as No. 3, as Columbia’s next game is against Harvard University (10–1–3, 4–0–2 Ivy) who are ranked No. 2. The Crimson have only tied with No. 1 Brown (11–2–2, 5–0–1 Ivy), the Bulldog’s next opponent.

Not only did the Bulldogs break records and bring their ranking to No. 3 in the Ivy League, but they did all that during their senior night. This is the last night that the seniors of the team get to play with the Blue and White on Reese Stadium’s turf. 

“There’s some kind of magic about senior night,” Shorrock wrote. “It’s our time to go out on Reese for the last time and honor our teammates that have led us through this season (and, for many of us, our careers at Yale). It definitely creates some extra motivation to fight out a win.”

Last year, Yale was ranked last in the Ivy League, and Columbia was ranked No. 4. 

This year, with only one game to go, the Bulldogs are in the top three.

“What an awesome day,” coach Sarah Martinez told Yale Athletics after the game. “To celebrate the careers of Simone Eligon ’23, Giana Pittaro ’23, and Giovanna Dionicio ’23, while also getting another shutout win is massive for our program. I’m so proud of each person on this team. We took incredible pride in protecting Reese this fall and to finish the year undefeated at home, only conceding one goal here, is amazing.”

Yale’s last game of the season will take place at Brown University this Saturday at 4:00 p.m.

TOIA CONDE RODRIGUES DA CUNHA
Toia Conde Rodrigues da Cunha is the News' Instagram editor. Originally from São Paulo, Brazil, she is studying cognitive science as sophomore. Toia is also a staff reporter for the Sports desk and was a staff photographer.