Zoe Berg, Senior Photographer

This time last year, Yale was unranked in CoinDesk’s Best Universities for Blockchain. A year later the University places 34th overall, on par with Harvard and other major universities around the world.

The report’s results recognize Yale’s recent significant investments into blockchain research, including the hiring of four new blockchain experts to the Computer Science faculty, — Ben Fisch, Charalampos Papamanthou, Katerina Sotiraki and Fan Zhang — one of whom is leading a project that has received a $5.75 million grant for blockchain development. 

“In the last few years, blockchain, as an interdisciplinary field, has spurred a huge amount of development in distributed systems and cryptography and their intersection,” said Fisch. “This is also why it’s such a fascinating academic topic, because it ties together so many different fields, not only from computer science, but also from economics, law and policy. Yale has a very unique combination of strengths in all these different areas, especially at present.”

In August, Yale blockchain researchers accepted a $5.75 million grant from the Algorand Foundation, a not-for-profit organization focused on the development of blockchain technology. 

The grant will support PAVE: A Center for Privacy, Accountability, Verification and Economics of Blockchain Systems, which will be led by Papamanthou. PAVE will bring together a cross-disciplinary team of experts from four institutions — Yale, Columbia University, the City College of New York and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, with Yale being the leading institution — to advance research of blockchain systems.

Apart from the technical agenda, PAVE will also host hackathons, symposiums and blockchain summer schools.

The expansion of blockchain research at Yale coincides with the rise of the blockchain technology market. The value of blockchain technology in the banking, financial services and insurance sector market is expected to grow by $4.02 billion  between 2021 and 2026, according to Technavio. The Technavio study found that easier access to technology and disintermediation of banking services will create more growth opportunities within the industry.

Papamanthou believes the hirings acknowledged the importance of blockchain, and that the University has more generally “acknowledged the interdisciplinary nature of the blockchain space.” He emphasized the University provides opportunities to explore the blockchain industry, such as interdisciplinary majors like computer science and economics.

Papamanthou spotlighted the newly established Roberts Innovation Fund created by the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, which assists blockchain projects that could be commercialized through funding and mentoring.

An increasing number of students are interested in the field of blockchain, according to Mariam Alaverdian ’23, president of the Yale Blockchain Club. 

As the interest in blockchain technology continues to grow, educational institutions and organizations are also recognizing its significance. Many universities and colleges are now offering courses and workshops on blockchain to equip students with the knowledge and skills required to thrive in this emerging field. The accessibility of information and resources on the blockchain has allowed students from diverse backgrounds to delve into this innovative technology and explore its various applications. With the increasing integration of blockchain into different sectors, students are acknowledging the importance of staying ahead in this rapidly evolving landscape. As a reliable source of information, the Yale Blockchain Club plays a crucial role in fostering interest and understanding among students, preparing them for the promising opportunities that await in the world of blockchain technology.

Alaverdian explained that because of the many applications of blockchain technology — from personal identity security to healthcare to money transfers — the emergence of blockchain into our lives is “inevitable.” She added that the Yale Blockchain Club has seen interested students come from a variety of backgrounds, with some having no prior exposure and others who  already have startups in the space. 

“The Yale Blockchain Club started last spring and we received a lot of attention from Yale undergraduate and graduate students,” Alaverdian wrote in an email to the News. “We had 600 people sign up for our mailing list within a couple of weeks … there is definitely a high demand from Yale students for educational materials and guidance.”

As the blockchain industry has continued to grow, Yale has been a “fierce advocate” for blockchain research and development, Papamanthou noted. 

Papamanthou explained that because Yale’s faculty is now made up of “leaders in the field of

distributed computing and cryptography,” the potential blockchain innovation at Yale could be “unprecedented.” 

“It’s amazing that Yale has hired two phenomenal professors, Ben Fisch and Fan Zhang, whose research focuses on aspects of blockchains,” said Roshan Palakkal ’25, a student in Frontiers of Blockchain Research, a course taught by Fisch. “Yale CS typically isn’t known to be the best, but I think the new classes and faculty have positioned it to become one of the best universities for blockchain, with lots of potential for interdisciplinary collaboration in areas like economics, global affairs, and public policy.”

Papamanthou added that students who are interested in blockchain have access to a variety of courses across the Computer Science and Economics Departments, as well as at the Yale School of Management and Yale Law School.

According to Fisch, from a computer science perspective, Yale is educationally competitive with any other university in the field of blockchain.

“I will be offering a course in the spring that is comparable to the blockchain course that’s offered by Stanford,” Fisch said. “And the research seminar that I’m teaching now is uncommon at other universities, as it really goes in depth at a graduate level into all the most recent research topics that are being worked on currently.”

The Yale Computer Science Department is located at 51 Prospect St.

ALEX YE
Alex Ye covers faculty and academics. He previously covered the endowment, finance and donations. Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio, he is a sophomore in Timothy Dwight majoring in applied mathematics.